Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
One of the funniest things I heard on FNC, that was just such a distillation of how ignorant they are as a whole, was during a segment about medical coding. They were going on about how there's about to be seventeen thousand! new medical codes that will cripple/destroy/murder the health industry. One of the new codes is for "contact with a venomous frog," and this Fox News panelist (there were 3 of them iirc) looks at the camera all incredulously and says "venomous frogs don't even exist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

beatlegs posted:

O'Reilly has always had this weird obsession with black rappers. I get the feeling it's because rap performers are arrogant by nature and Bill himself is arrogant, and it's almost like a racial turf thing, only he takes it extremely personally. The idea that black performers can presume to be as arrogant and egotistical as him seems to really trigger his insecurity.

It's bizarre how, when he has guys like Cam'ron, Marilyn Manson, Lupe Fiasco....hell even ICP on, and they all come across as fairly articulate during the interview.

He always builds them up as cave man-like, devil worshiping idiots. Yet, it blows up in his face everytime.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

beatlegs posted:

So they're blatantly comparing gay people with horrible, murderous bigots. Why, that's a reasonable, convincing argument.

You say that like it's not.

:smug:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

BUSH 2112 posted:

One of the funniest things I heard on FNC, that was just such a distillation of how ignorant they are as a whole, was during a segment about medical coding. They were going on about how there's about to be seventeen thousand! new medical codes that will cripple/destroy/murder the health industry. One of the new codes is for "contact with a venomous frog," and this Fox News panelist (there were 3 of them iirc) looks at the camera all incredulously and says "venomous frogs don't even exist."

They're kind of right. They're poisonous. Venom is injected, poison is ingested or absorbed through contact :eng101:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MizPiz posted:

You say that like it's not.

:smug:

It's Casper the racist ghost.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Could you guys help me settle an argument? I need examples of how the WSJ has become increasingly right wing since it's purchase by Murdoch.

IT's in relation to this thing: , which is the same bill as I recall.
I'm in Canada and have no post-secondary education, sourcing isn't my strong suit with american political issues.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 2, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The best "news" related thing the WSJ does these days is act as Apple's go to press agency when they want to let people know a product is coming. All of their news and editorial has been hijacked and folded into wingnut welfare, recent examples include the WSJ spinning nearly every issue people "care" about. New study finds NFL players suffer from concussions and the NFL lies about it? It's all bullshit, end the players unions, and tell these millionaires to stop whining about their brain-problems. Women suffering from sexual abuse in the military? Find these whiney broads, and show em the curb and let a real american woman become a warrior. Women earning less than men? Maybe they shouldn't do such a bad job at being a worker getting pregnant and poo poo, loving women, am I right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Star Man posted:

I have heard of that before. Way back when Obama announced his candidacy for president in 2007, there was someone that said he's not black because he wasn't from any African slave ancestry.

"Half-rican American" - Rush Limnaugh, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah that's been an ongoing pile of bullshit since the day Oblammo got put into the spotlight. He's either too black to understand white culture or too white to understand black culture, which obviously means he doesn't understand any culture, ever. It's actually a very common thing to hear said about people that are multiracial. It's racist as hell, too. You can't be one but you can't be the other so you can just gently caress right off.

This is part of where the Muslim thing came from. It was easier for a lot of people to swallow the idea that he's Muslim based solely on the fact that he isn't 100% white. Because, as we all know, all white people are Christian and all true Christians are white people. What religion you are is totally, 100% completely based on what race you were born, after all.

What truly amuses me is how often the right wing trots out these talking points while incessantly screaming "Not racist! We're not racist! No, we totally aren't racist!"

"How do you expect us open minded conservatives to effectively label and categorize you when you can't even decide what race you are?" Trust me. Obama is black

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

"How do you expect us open minded conservatives to effectively label and categorize you when you can't even decide what race you are?" Trust me. Obama is black

He's what they need him to be. Most of the time they need him to be black.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He's what they need him to be. Most of the time they need him to be black.

Yep, and when he's not, it's usually when they go "WHY IS BLACK UNEMPLOYMENT SO HIGH IF YOU LOVE YOUR PRECIOUS THE BLACKS, OBAMA?!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

Yep, and when he's not, it's usually when they go "WHY IS BLACK UNEMPLOYMENT SO HIGH IF YOU LOVE YOUR PRECIOUS THE BLACKS, OBAMA?!"

Yeah I can definitely see what the GOP is going for. Most of the time it's "Oblammo is black, everybody hate him!" but on black issues it's "Look how your precious not-really-black leader has failed you. Why did you vote that gently caress into office?" I feel like it's the GOP realizing but not quite openly admitting that they NEED black votes if they're going to survive. They can gerrymander congressional seats but they lost that last presidential election really, really goddamned hard. It feels like they're trying to court black votes without actually, you know, quitting being racist.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah I can definitely see what the GOP is going for. Most of the time it's "Oblammo is black, everybody hate him!" but on black issues it's "Look how your precious not-really-black leader has failed you. Why did you vote that gently caress into office?" I feel like it's the GOP realizing but not quite openly admitting that they NEED black votes if they're going to survive. They can gerrymander congressional seats but they lost that last presidential election really, really goddamned hard. It feels like they're trying to court black votes without actually, you know, quitting being racist.

Republican goal posts come with built-in warp drive.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

HootTheOwl posted:

Liam Neeson in reality is the opposite of himself in Taken. (Which is a prequil to Love Actually, I wonder why the son never appeared in Taken?) He got into an argument this week with Jon Stewart this week over the treatment of horses used in New York City. Taking the side that the horses were never asked if they wanted to pull wagons.
Not sure if you meant the phrasing to imply that Neeson was the one advocating that position, but just to be clear that was actually Stewarts argument. Neeson was advocating for the horse carriage operators to continue to earn a living and arguing the horses had an amazing life, Stewart was the one questioning how incredible a life it is to drag humans around a park all day & night.

(Not that it was really that contentious a "debate" regardless and Neeson doesn't come across as a great guy generally though, just :spergin: it up in here)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Not sure if you meant the phrasing to imply that Neeson was the one advocating that position, but just to be clear that was actually Stewarts argument. Neeson was advocating for the horse carriage operators to continue to earn a living and arguing the horses had an amazing life, Stewart was the one questioning how incredible a life it is to drag humans around a park all day & night.

(Not that it was really that contentious a "debate" regardless and Neeson doesn't come across as a great guy generally though, just :spergin: it up in here)

He also literally knows nothing about basketball, but still felt the need to do a promo interview for espn during a nba game and was insulted that he was asked anything involving sports.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Dr Christmas posted:

They're kind of right. They're poisonous. Venom is injected, poison is ingested or absorbed through contact :eng101:

gently caress, I am bested!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well that's the right answer. Just not the answer you say to the guy who's using the inferior equipment.

Not when you're fighting a Preemptive war that you started. If you're attacked out of the blue, sure, when you choose to cross the globe and invade somebody because you don't like them? If you're picking the time and place, which is the justification for preemptive war, then you'd sure better go to war with the equipment you want, or you're saying clearly that you just don't give a gently caress.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nonsense posted:

He also literally knows nothing about basketball, but still felt the need to do a promo interview for espn during a nba game and was insulted that he was asked anything involving sports.

"Felt the need"--it's not like he sets his promo schedule. Somebody in the promos department at the movie studio set him up for that, probably without even asking him.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/372384/obama-administrations-war-humans-wesley-j-smith

Wesley J. Smith posted:

Hope and change! Anti-humanism, Wesley? What anti-humanism.

Just really weird and rant-y and irrelevant.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Time to read Zinn posted:

http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/372384/obama-administrations-war-humans-wesley-j-smith

Wesley J. Smith posted:

Hope and change! Anti-humanism, Wesley? What anti-humanism.

Just really weird and rant-y and irrelevant.

Was expecting Star Trek: TNG fanfic, was disappointed.

Worth noting:

quote:

attorney Wesley J. Smith is a Senior Fellow of Discovery Institute’s Center on Human Exceptionalism

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Limbaugh's opening monologue today can best be summed up by this picture

Basically :qq:ing how America is only going to be imposing those pussy "economic sanctions" on Russia while also lamenting that our military is being downsized to pre-WWII levels. At one point Limbaugh even imagined how Obama was speaking with Putin, who was shirtless and practicing Tai Chi :laugh:
Okay right-wingers what should we do instead? Invade Russia? Lob nuclear warheads at them? I love how they never propose an alternative, because really it won't matter what Obama does because it will always be the wrong thing to do.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Mentor to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., organizer of the march on washington, and open homosexual/gay rights advocate Bayard Rustin is not amused.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Like any Klan wife carries her meth and scratch tickets in a purse instead of a fanny pack.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Limbaugh: 12 Years A Slave Won Best Picture Oscar Because "It Had The Magic Word In The Title: Slave"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BiggerBoat posted:

Not like that. The comment was actually in regards to Obama's father. Because his father was Kenyan, Obama doesn't have the same African slave ancestry that most African-Americans have. Thus, that makes him not black. Somehow.

Race is a dumb concept in all of its forms.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Tarantino could've had best picture on lock if only he had called it Django Un-slaved.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

So I saw a guy today wearing an "I miss America" t- shirt and figured it just HAD to be some dumb right wing thing. Sure enough after a quick google search l was led to this site http://299days.com/about/ . Apparently "prepper literature" is a thing? :psyduck: And it's all the same: lone man must join great American patriots to fight the BIG GOVERMENT while cities turn into hell holes because urban ferals.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

kik2dagroin posted:

Okay right-wingers what should we do instead? Invade Russia?

Yes. That is exactly what they want. They are insane and think the US is invincible.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Eponymouse posted:

So I saw a guy today wearing an "I miss America" t- shirt and figured it just HAD to be some dumb right wing thing. Sure enough after a quick google search l was led to this site http://299days.com/about/ . Apparently "prepper literature" is a thing? :psyduck: And it's all the same: lone man must join great American patriots to fight the BIG GOVERMENT while cities turn into hell holes because urban ferals.

:cripes:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 4, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Eponymouse posted:

semi-OT, but I wish some liberal novelist would give this a crack sometime, because the idea of those things sort of fascinate me.

I've been wanting to see a good novel written about the US going through a second Civil War of sorts. It'd pretty much be an excuse to mock how terrible conservatives are.

Was thinking the opening is when Texas does it, when a Ted Cruz like character (backed by the Russian government) secedes from the union.

Then the others follow, including Utah (with a character mimicking Mitt), The South (Huckabee) and Alaska (gee I wonder whom this would be).

Statues of Ayn Rand and Jesus decorate those places, they're all "Right to work", etc.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yes, I too want to see that lovely Sherman cartoon but as a 200 page novel.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

computer parts posted:

Yes, I too want to see that lovely Sherman cartoon but as a 200 page novel.

meh.

Not that level. Maybe this is something that wouldn't work in this day and age.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

semi-OT, but I wish some liberal novelist would give this a crack sometime, because the idea of those things sort of fascinate me.

The closest to that is Cormac McCarthy's The Road which makes the obvious, but important point in an actual doomsday scenario none of that poo poo will matter.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/03/03/must-watch-highlight-reel-vladimir-putin-doing-macho-things

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Eponymouse posted:

Oh yeah. I've actually seen prepper magazines in the grocery store before.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's it. Annex the USA to Mother Russia.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't get it. What's so special about the number 299?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

GOD I love the way he beats those dirty homos down with his firm, muscly arms... his steely cold eyes piercing deep into my soul, like he can hear my inner voice screaming "take me, have me, dominate me"...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Star Man posted:

I don't get it. What's so special about the number 299?

I have NO clue, but part of me wants to say it might be a 300 reference to all but the one guy who died, but that seems stretching it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

aand now the right is infatuated with a Russian head of state while calling the sitting U.S. President a commie. Political historians are going to love this Presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Spaceman Future! posted:

aand now the right is infatuated with a Russian head of state while calling the sitting U.S. President a commie. Political historians are going to love this Presidency.
Seriously? The tone I get from that page is an extremely mocking one. Note 'macho' in quotation marks, for the most obvious indication.