Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

All the coin ops I've used could be activated by the attendant if you bought something there. It only cost if you just got air.

In my experience, if I just ask they turn it on free. Fair warning because Goons: you might have to smile and be nice to the station attendant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

It's a nice rainy day, so I got all set up to change the oil on my 690 for the first time on my own (when I bought it I had it serviced/onced over at a shop).
Naturally, after getting everything out I proceed to Step 1 and discover the oil drain plug is apparently stripped, and just rotates freely :mad: It wasn't leaking prior so I don't know what the hell.

Anyway, what are my best options for A: getting the fucker out B: repairing it. From a bit of googling on ADVrider etc, it looks like I can either replace it with a oversized drain plug, or a Helicoil or Timesert kit.

Depending on how bad it is you may be able to just chase the threads with a tap. But you said it was loose to the touch so probably not but I'd at least see if it would work.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

I'd get it out, inspect how deep the threads go, and make a decision to purchase the appropriate size/depth timesert accordingly. I love the poo poo out of timeserts, they're expensive but the only thing that is as good as (or better) than the original.

Gotcha. Well, I'm trying the vice-grip thing but it's still spinning in place, I can't get it to re-bite.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Can you get a small screwdriver under the lip of it and pry it out while spinning a ratchet on it? It's going to require some force, likely.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

Can you get a small screwdriver under the lip of it and pry it out while spinning a ratchet on it? It's going to require some force, likely.

Nah, there's zero space to wedge anything under the lip... I doubt I could get in dental floss.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pull harder as you spin it. Or you're going to want to hold it in place and drill it out, and then flush the hell out of things with oil to get any metal shavings out of there.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

Pull harder as you spin it. Or you're going to want to hold it in place and drill it out, and then flush the hell out of things with oil to get any metal shavings out of there.

I'm putting as much pull on it as I can, to the point of shaving off metal (I'm not a weak goony-goon either) I guess I could try putting the bike on it's side and maybe getting some better leverage that way. I really don't want to have to drill the fucker out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah might have to dump the bike on it's side :(

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Or glue something to it you can get more purchase on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just weld on a handle! Nothing could go wrong with welding a thing that's stuck in your oil pan, right?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Or glue something to it you can get more purchase on.

Screw you bolt :mad:

Braced my feet against the bike and pulled:

No luck. After exerting all kinds of strength, the rod finally broke and I admitted defeat and called my local shop. I'll be taking it in to get drilled out next week.

bieks :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh that's not the drain plug bolt, that's the backup oil priming rotator bolt.

Don't worry about that one, just drain the oil from the side drain.

:v:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
... yeah, it's supposed to do that. :ohdear: Haha!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I was wondering why his engine had 'two' drain plugs.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

Oh that's not the drain plug bolt, that's the backup oil priming rotator bolt.

Don't worry about that one, just drain the oil from the side drain.

:v:

You had me there for a second. Next you'll tell me I don't have to break the lens on my headlight to replace the halogen fluid!!!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I was wondering why his engine had 'two' drain plugs.

There's like 5 things you have to remove to change the oil on a LC4 :v:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 1, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

There's like 5 things you have to remove to change the oil on a LC4 :v:

That doesn't sound very ready-to-race :raise:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's not the mechanics racing...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Warranty void if you change your own oil?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Warranty void if you change your own oil?

Pretty standard practice in cars, not sure about bikes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not in 'Merica. :patriot:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Some modern BMW brake reservoirs have special lock tabs on them, kind of like a prescription pill bottle, designed for a special tool, to keep the filthy worthless owners from changing the fluid. Although in their defense, they had a brake system so obscure and complicated, it was quite easy to bleed it dry without even knowing it and then go for a ride and die.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it Volkswagen who have as part of their oil system a special bolt that looks like any other bolt except it's got a hole drilled through it for an oil passage and there is also a tiny little mesh filter inside the bolt? I seem to remember that from one of the AI :psyduck: threads and it really :psypop:'d me

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Should I be concerned about the fact that over the last two months or so the bite point of my front brake has been slowly moving towards the bar? There's no sponginess or loss of power, plenty of fluid in the reservoir, it's just moved a cm or so. I was going to try bleeding and throwing in fresh fluid just to be on the safe side, I'm just a little concerned that this is what my clutch lever started to do (in the opposite direction) just before the slave cylinder seal failed.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ok so in order to complete the move forms I need my motorcycle VIN. Sadly I am rather far from her and all I remember is the license plate. Are there any legit sites I can use the plate number to look-up the VIN?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Call your insurance company, you gave them the VIN. It's also on your registration and title if you or someone has access to those.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Call your insurance company, you gave them the VIN. It's also on your registration and title if you or someone has access to those.

Just had to log into my insurance company page (USAA) and I got the info in a couple of minutes. Feel kinda dumb at the moment though :negative:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Is it Volkswagen who have as part of their oil system a special bolt that looks like any other bolt except it's got a hole drilled through it for an oil passage and there is also a tiny little mesh filter inside the bolt? I seem to remember that from one of the AI :psyduck: threads and it really :psypop:'d me

PSA group. The bolt was holding the feed line for the turbo so when it clogged, the turbo got the good news.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Should I be concerned about the fact that over the last two months or so the bite point of my front brake has been slowly moving towards the bar? There's no sponginess or loss of power, plenty of fluid in the reservoir, it's just moved a cm or so. I was going to try bleeding and throwing in fresh fluid just to be on the safe side, I'm just a little concerned that this is what my clutch lever started to do (in the opposite direction) just before the slave cylinder seal failed.

I know its stating the obvious but have you checked the pads and callipers? A quick look to see if the pads need replacing or the callipers a clean might save a lot of time and swearing later.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ElMaligno posted:

Just had to log into my insurance company page (USAA) and I got the info in a couple of minutes. Feel kinda dumb at the moment though :negative:

Wait, how did you get motorcycle insurance through USAA? When I tried to add one to my other policies I was redirected to Progressive under the auspices of they don't offer it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Have anyone here used dirt skins neoprene fork gaiters? I need to replace my old accordion ones on the transalp as they've gotten cracked.

I've ordered the 2 pieces pr shock variant and I'm thinking on how to best use them.

I'm leaning for setup nr 1, but I've never used this kinda boots before so I'm unsure.

What works best?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I know its stating the obvious but have you checked the pads and callipers? A quick look to see if the pads need replacing or the callipers a clean might save a lot of time and swearing later.

I hadn't specifically checked them but did so when I was bleeding them - they're a little low, but fine. Bleeding revealed the liquid was a little darker than I was expecting and seems to have moved the bite point a little bit out again, I think I might just be over-thinking it a little bit, and the contrast with the bikes I test-rode yesterday had just thrown it into relief a bit.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

they're a little low, but fine.

I had exactly the same thought when I bled the front brakes before a trip, and then about 1500 miles from home (Monument Valley, so awesome) I hit the pad backing. I was able to overnight a pair of pads to a hotel on the way. Lesson learned: "a little low but looks good" means order the replacement part now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wait, how did you get motorcycle insurance through USAA? When I tried to add one to my other policies I was redirected to Progressive under the auspices of they don't offer it.

I was wondering myself, same thing here.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
USAA probably doesn't offer motorcycle insurance in your state(s) but they do in ElMaligno's.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

I had exactly the same thought when I bled the front brakes before a trip, and then about 1500 miles from home (Monument Valley, so awesome) I hit the pad backing. I was able to overnight a pair of pads to a hotel on the way. Lesson learned: "a little low but looks good" means order the replacement part now.

Actually have the replacements sitting in a drawer - needed to replace the rear so bought the fronts at the same time to get free P&P. This is the nearest I've ever come to any form of organisation in my biking life so I strongly suspect I'll end up replacing them upside down or something to redress the balance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supradog posted:

Have anyone here used dirt skins neoprene fork gaiters? I need to replace my old accordion ones on the transalp as they've gotten cracked.

I've ordered the 2 pieces pr shock variant and I'm thinking on how to best use them.

I'm leaning for setup nr 1, but I've never used this kinda boots before so I'm unsure.

What works best?

Opinion seems to be divided. I've heard that they keep out some dirt, and the dirt they dont, they hold right up against your fork legs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat float bowl gaskets are pissing fuel in the 2000 R1. Any ghetto alternative gasket maker I can use instead of ordering OEM gaskets ? :v:

Edit: it runs though. Hah.
Edit2: bought a set of 4 for $36. Meh.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 4, 2014

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's not the ghetto way, more the old school way but you can just cut your own out of gasket paper. Carbs are usually a fiddly shape to cut out but if you're stuck or broke it's the best option. I had to do one for my water pump because I couldn't get an OEM gasket within a reasonable time and it was pissing out.

The trick for cutting them out is to use something like engineers blue or even just a sharpie, coat the sealing surface and immediately press the part onto the paper. It should leave a good outline on the gasket paper and you can just cut it out with a scalpel or small scissors or whatever. Coat with a gasket sealant of the appropriate type (fuel resistant in your case) and bob's your uncle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ABSAG

Always Be Scanning All Gaskets.

Seriously, I scanned the gasket kit for my RV90 in, and now all I have to do is print any gasket I want at the right DPI, cut it out and use it as a template to cut a real gasket out of gasket paper with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The last carb I pulled apart had a groove with a rubber gasket of unusual shape. And the bowl was damaged so it would never seal properly.

I put it back together and pretended it wasn't leaking anymore.