Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

coconono posted:

Latest Observer says Dragon Gate is doing iPPV now?

They have been since July but not at the same frequency of NJPW. They only seem to do it for the really big shows of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sportsgenius86 posted:

They have been since July but not at the same frequency of NJPW. They only seem to do it for the really big shows of the year.

What platform are they using? I loves me some prettyboys doing flippydoos.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

What platform are they using? I loves me some prettyboys doing flippydoos.

Never bought one of their shows, but I'm pretty sure they use UStream just like NJPW.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

Never bought one of their shows, but I'm pretty sure they use UStream just like NJPW.

confirmed. I'm adding them to my Ustream alerts for those nights I wanna stay until 6am watchin flippys.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Now if DDT and BJW start doing this as well I'll be one happy wrasslin fan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Puroresu Spirit is reporting that NOAH's ring announcer/director died of a heart attack:

https://www.facebook.com/PuroresuSpirit/posts/10152273404086098:0

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think NOAH needs to call it a day. Their attendance is laughable, all of their marquee guys are gone, and now even staff is dying.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Speaking of dojo graduates, how has ZERO1 done over the years in terms of producing true-born talent?

Also, speaking of Dragon Gate, I decided to start collecting all the shows from 2005 (PPVs and some TV) in order to watch post-split DG from the ground floor. I just got and watched the 1/14/2005 PPV with the formation of Blood Generation and the Ryo/Milano #1 contender Dream Gate match. All around awesome show and I still have the Blood Generation/DoFIXER feud to come.

What are the views about the years 2006-2013? I know from the iHEARTdg podcast that 2005 is good start to finish but 2006 not so much. Are there any good recommended viewing lists for DG shows?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Nagata's title defense in NOAH against KENTA was successful. Looks like he's facing Takashi Sugiura at Differ Ariake on March 8. Good chance he'll drop it to either Sugiura or, failing that, to Marufuji down the line.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Yottsume just reported that Osaka Pro is basically dead as Black Buffalo has stepped down as Vice President and come April 20th all wrestlers on roster will become freelance.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ricochet just became dragon gate champ holy poo poo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yea ok posted:

ricochet just became dragon gate champ holy poo poo

heck yeah ric

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh, the actual Japanese Dragon Gate? Holy poo poo, that's cool. I didn't pay that close attention to the thread when I first read it and figured he beat Gargano.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I figured Uhaa would be the first gaijin to win after PAC left, but that's awesome. Will have to check it out after it hits GAORA.

Also four title changes in less than a year after CIMA's monster reign.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ricochet has gotten remarkably good, so good for him!

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I figured Uhaa would be the first gaijin to win after PAC left, but that's awesome. Will have to check it out after it hits GAORA.

Also four title changes in less than a year after CIMA's monster reign.

Uhaa is challenging for the title on Thursday, which will be the first gaijin vs gaijin Dream Gate match ever.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Panama Red posted:

Uhaa is challenging for the title on Thursday, which will be the first gaijin vs gaijin Dream Gate match ever.

And Ricochet makes his v1 defense and it looks like the next challenger is YAMATO with a match with Uhaa as the roadblock.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

KungFu Grip posted:

Yottsume just reported that Osaka Pro is basically dead as Black Buffalo has stepped down as Vice President and come April 20th all wrestlers on roster will become freelance.

Tadasuke's apparently been in Texas since late February training with Funaki in an attempt to get to the WWE. Hopefully he makes it.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Too good not to share.

http://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/ddt-max-bump-2014-results/

DDT owner/booker Sanshiro Takagi became the 999th DDT Ironman champion. He threatened to retire the belt, but retired DDT mainstay Poison Sawada Julie convinced him to hold off until after a battle royal at Korakuen Hall. There, Sawada used his mind control powers to get several wrestlers to target Takagi, but that wasn't enough and Takagi won. Afterwards, Takagi and Sawada had an altercation, leading to easily the DDT-est of all DDT booking:

quote:

The two struggled until Sawada knocked over Takagi with the belt falling on top of him. All of a sudden Yukinori Matsui slapped the mat three times. The Iron Man Title belt pinned Takagi. The Iron Man Heavymetalweight Championship itself became the new champion and will go down in history as the 1,000th Champion!

Later in the show, the belt was accidentally pinned by Jun Akiyama.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fantastic. I wish DDT was easier to follow in the west.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Very fitting 1000th champ.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
DDT feels like it's practically made for the PSP crowd. Silly, ridiculous tongue in cheek booking but with some talented guys, too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Didn't Kenny Omega rip Yoshihiko's head off on that same show?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

DDT feels like it's practically made for the PSP crowd. Silly, ridiculous tongue in cheek booking but with some talented guys, too.

I really really want to see the newer campground matches. Specially the one with Generico clotheslining people on a canoe. Sometime last year they had a show at some rock festival which had Kota doing moonsaults off the scaffolds, fireworks, and J-pop singers chopping Takagi.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Akiyama is champion again!!!!!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

BillyMays posted:

I really really want to see the newer campground matches. Specially the one with Generico clotheslining people on a canoe. Sometime last year they had a show at some rock festival which had Kota doing moonsaults off the scaffolds, fireworks, and J-pop singers chopping Takagi.

There was that time Ibushi and Nakazawa had an impromptu match at some random-rear end anime con in New Jersey.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Coming out of lurking for a moment. Be on the lookout for this music video next month:

http://www.njpw.co.jp/news/detail.php?nid=11486

"Google Translate and my transliteration" posted:

Super multi talented artist in the world hit single by Pharrell Williams' "Happy".

In the Japan version of music video , Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada appeared from New Japan Pro Wrestling !

Creative Director Mr. NIGO ® will be director, performance artists of Japan are gathering. The hottest music video will be released in May! Do not miss it!

Yep. All these guys in one video.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

animeluva1 posted:

Coming out of lurking for a moment. Be on the lookout for this music video next month:

http://www.njpw.co.jp/news/detail.php?nid=11486

Yep. All these guys in one video.

Nope. It's a Japanese version of the "Happy" video, so different various Japanese artists and TV personalities making a version of it. Okada and Nakamura are in it, but so are members of Japanese pop bands (Exile, SEKAI NO OWARI, m-flo, Teriyaki Boys, and more) as well as this...thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Do2HPsRHIk

(It's Funasshi, a recently popular "yuru-kyara" or regional character from a city in Chiba prefecture. It's also hyper annoying yet also devastatingly popular at the moment).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
KENTA just announced he's leaving NOAH. RIP NOAH

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

KENTA just announced he's leaving NOAH. RIP NOAH

More specifically: "5.17 Korakuen will be KENTA's last show at NOAH. He says he will challenge the Major League"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

KungFu Grip posted:

More specifically: "5.17 Korakuen will be KENTA's last show at NOAH. He says he will challenge the Major League"
Seeing KENTA in NJPW as a regular is going to be great. One day I'll get to see my dream match of KENTA vs Shibata

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
PWInsider did a big write up. They've no confirmation of a move to WWE but they are strongly assuming it.

quote:

It was announced this morning in Japan that Pro Wrestling NOAH star KENTA (real name Kenta Kobayashi) would be leaving the promotion, with his final appearance being 5/17.
As PWInsider.com broke in January, KENTA spent a week at the WWWE Performance Center, training and working out with developmental talents. Upon his return to Japan, he downplayed the time spent in Orlando, Florida, claiming he wanted to take part in WWE's training and a break in the NOAH schedule allowed him to do so.

In a blog entry, KENTA wrote, "It is indeed true that I have always been yearning for a spot in WWE, and I’ve always wanted to give it a try sometime. After all, you only live once. “I should have given it a try.” “I should have chosen another way.” I’ve had those regrets when I was in my middle and high school, and even after I got in to this business. I just did not want to regret later about something I haven’t tried, so I used my time off to participate in the WWE workout. The executives were at the workout, so perhaps I may have left a mark."

With the announcement that he is leaving NOAH, a promotion has he been with since it formed, the obvious question is whether KENTA is leaving for a WWE deal? Obviously, it's easy to assume such (and it's possible those assumptions are correct) but we don't have 100% confirmation on that.

KENTA debuted for All Japan Pro Wrestling in 2000 but quickly left for Pro Wrestling NOAH when the late Mitsuharu Misawa led an exodus of talent and management from AJPW to form his own company. Over the last 14 years, KENTA rose from an undercard talent to one of the best workers in the world and is credited with the creation of Go To Sleep, a move later popularized in the United States when former WWE champion CM Punk adopted it as his finishing maneuver.

Stateside, he is best known for appearances in Ring of Honor, including incredible bouts with Low Ki and then-ROH champion Bryan (Daniel Bryan) Danielson.

When KENTA returned to Japan following his one-week workout at the Performance Center, he claimed that he wasn't seeking a WWE deal but if one was offered, it would be something he would be interested in pursuing, noting his dream was always to wrestle for WWE.

In due time, we will see if that dream has come true, but the loss of KENTA is a major hole that NOAH will have to try and fill - one that won't be easy.

So we may have Mojo Rawley vs Prince Devitt and Corey Graves vs KENTA feuds to look forward to the second half of the year.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rovert posted:

PWInsider did a big write up. They've no confirmation of a move to WWE but they are strongly assuming it.

So we may have Mojo Rawley vs Prince Devitt and Corey Graves vs KENTA feuds to look forward to the second half of the year.
If that's true I wonder if he'd be allowed to use the GTS, a move that he innovated in the first place....Along with a lot of the other moves Punk borrowed from him

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Have KENTA and Devitt ever faced each other before?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Domalom posted:

Have KENTA and Devitt ever faced each other before?

Two tag matches:
http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=2742&page=4&search=kenta

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Cool, thanks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I thought he wanted to go to the WWE but they passed on him?

Really don't see the WWE ever using a small guy that doesn't speak English well enough that they'd let promo well regardless.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't know that it was ever made explicit that they passed on him. He came through then went home, maybe he expected an offer on the spot and they didn't extend one for five weeks. Would "Major League" or its equivalent be something people would use to refer to NJPW?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maybe he meant GWF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

More info on Kobashi's upcoming show courtesy of the Observer;

quote:

Kenta Kobashi’s first promoted show will be 6/8 at Korakuen Hall. I believe his promotion will be called Fortune Dream with the idea of showcasing talent from a number of different companies. The first show is called Fortune Dream I, with talent from All Japan, New Japan, Sendai Girls, K-Dojo, Michinoku Pro, Union Pro, Wrestling New Classic, Big Japan and Zero-One. The top two matches are Kohei Sato (Zero-One) & Yuji Hino (K-Dojo) vs. Daisuke Sekimoto (Big Japan) & Kento Miyahara (All Japan), and Akitoshi Saito (free agent) & Kotaro Suzuki (All Japan) vs. Masato Tanaka (Zero-One) & Fujita Junior Hayato (Michinoku Pro). For older fans, the highlight will be Kobashi and Riki Choshu in the ring for a “talk battle.”

I wonder who he'll get from NJPW as none were listed.