Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Andy Daly's podcast this week is incredible.

If Matt Gourley isn't on CBB soon I'm going to vivisect myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

It feels weird whenever there isn't a WYR.
I really hate that bit. It's something you'd think would be a really fruitful game but it's usually just so aimless. The suggestions are soooo dumb, the strict adherence to the rules is a mildly fun recurring bit, but the twists are funny like 5% of the time.

But, you know

@twittels posted:

Feb 19
The least funny people dispense the most improv advice.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm really, really tired of WYR especially since the whole bit has been the same joke since the beginning and they used to have other games. By time WYR comes up I've probably tuned it out or turned it off.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I also don't like WYR anymore.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It also doesn't help that a lot of first time guests haven't listened to the show and don't really know how WYR works

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Bring back Jukebox Jury

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
WYR is good when the improvisor knows the game and plays along in character. I.E. Any Tompkins or Daly character.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

It also doesn't help that a lot of first time guests haven't listened to the show and don't really know how WYR works

Classic Would Your Rather blunder. (Seriously, though, gently caress first time guests who are clearly unfamiliar with the show. You've got this opportunity to make an impression on a huge swath of comedy nerds, take an hour out of your life and listen to a single episode. Hell, listen to a Best Of ep, type "best comedy bang bang episodes" into Google, do something. CBB isn't a standard chat show, and it can get weird. Know what you're getting into.)

Oddly enough I hated WYR as a new listener, but now I love it. That said, and as soggybagel pointed out, it's really obvious that there is a certain subset of guests that "get it" and are willing to fully commit to the game or, in a growing trend, subvert it (The Don't Stop or We'll Die episode where the band introduces their own Question Floor, or the Ben Schwartz/Werner Herzog episode where Ben starts his own impromptu game without actually saying "Would Your Rather,") and there are those who simply flail through it. Based on the game's increasingly rare appearances, it's safe to say Scott caught on to this quite a while ago.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

soggybagel posted:

WYR is good when the improvisor knows the game and plays along in character. I.E. Any Tompkins or Daly character.
"I've opened the floor for questions-"
"I have a question."

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

They can't retire WYR fully until someone finally beats Paul F. Thompkins to the first question.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Maduo posted:

They can't retire WYR fully until someone finally beats Paul F. Thompkins to the first question.

Didn't that happen recently?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Didn't that happen recently?
I feel like there was a live episode where another guest beat him to the first question and the crowd went nuts for it. I could be wrong.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

ImPureAwesome posted:

Bring back Jukebox Jury

Mustard.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I've also gotten tired of WYR. One problem is the submissions are too "wacky". It's better when it starts out as a relatively mundane scenario and gets spun into something insane. That doesn't happen anymore because listeners are falling all over themselves to submit hilarious scenarios like "Would you rather eat tapioca pudding out of a skull six times a day for the rest of your life OR poo poo out a Rottweiler every time you think of cheese?" :hurr:

Jukebox Jury was a joy. It was so fun listening to Scott get angry when the songs were terrible.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My favorite WYR is relatively recent but it's a PFT one where he is Harrow and he turns the tables.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Bring back Alive or Dead for first time guests.

edit: or preferably Who Said It

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Jing It or Ding It needed a second go around, it had so much potential.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Bring back Alive or Dead for first time guests.

I love the Who Said It theme so, so much.

Hollywood Facts also has a great theme.

Take out ya dick!

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

the games that are just vehicles for scott's jokes adn dont masquerade as anything else are the best ones

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

erezaka posted:

the games that are just vehicles for scott's jokes adn dont masquerade as anything else are the best ones

I miss the news roundtable thing that was exactly this. Scott would set it up like they were going to discuss a news item and would say something like 'the Coen Brothers have begun production on their new film about satellite radio, A Sirius Man. Let's go round the horn.'.

I think he only did it like 2 or 3 times.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

erezaka posted:

Alive or Dead is a classic.

His dick was eaten by wolves.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Bring this back with Mookie as you-know-you and the show might explode.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I miss The Sports Results and The Entourage Recap, personally.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

little munchkin posted:

I miss The Sports Results and The Entourage Recap, personally.

I look forward to the inevitable Entourage Movie Recap.

Which, I suspect, will be something along the lines of "[Somebody, probably Johnny Drama] died, but everything else turned out alright!"

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

I look forward to the inevitable Entourage Movie Recap.

Which, I suspect, will be something along the lines of "[Somebody, probably Johnny Drama] died, but everything else turned out alright!"

whats going on with the murphy group

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I've just been thinking that Andy Daly has been slacking with the whole podcast thing as of late, so this week's episode looks like a refreshing change of pace.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I've just been thinking that Andy Daly has been slacking with the whole podcast thing as of late, so this week's episode looks like a refreshing change of pace.

yeah I mean the intros to the Pilot Podcast Project can't take more than a couple minutes.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
New CBB is a Zooks/Daly joint.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

xbilkis posted:

On the latest HDTGM with Andy Daly as a guest Zouks remarked that it would be fun to do something with Andy since it's something "I don't think we've ever done before" and I honestly went back and ransacked my memory and thought "yeah that's true, they've never done something together, this is going to be great!"

:downs:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
the battle between good and evil is nigh

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I usually put podcasts on when I'm going to bed, and often don't get the chance to listen to the whole thing and never catch up on the end. Totally glad I didn't do that today, as soon as I saw the guest list I knew I had to listen to this all the way through in one go.

International waters, satanism and the whole Andy Daly universe is completely imploding. It's amazing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I usually put podcasts on when I'm going to bed, and often don't get the chance to listen to the whole thing and never catch up on the end. Totally glad I didn't do that today, as soon as I saw the guest list I knew I had to listen to this all the way through in one go.

International waters, satanism and the whole Andy Daly universe is completely imploding. It's amazing.

I put on episodes I've listened to all the way through before, and last night it was the original Bill Carter episode, crazy coincidence it happened to be another Daly/Zouks joint when I woke up this morning!

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I will never get tired of how combative Jason Mantzoukas is with Scott. Not sure anyone inverts "yes and" to "no, also gently caress you" as well as he does.

Edit: Holy poo poo, this good vs. evil showdown with Scott and Jason recruiting Andy's characters.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic
Regarding the whole conversation on the merits of WYR i agree that a lot of the time the bit can become tiresome but there is definitely still potential left in it given the right circumstances. I think the premium live episode from last year in New York with Chris Gethard and Paul Scheer is one of the funniest Would You Rathers ever. PFT as Ice-T seems kind of annoyed by the stupid premise so immediately goes as blue as possible and it all culminates with Scott apparently leaving the stage with the other three carrying on their own separate game and talking about performing various sex acts on dogs and eating poo poo. I think WYR is great as an occasional addition to an episode and the premium episodes from last year are definitely worth the price.

Fieryspork fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 3, 2014

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Oh, golly

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Incredible episode, love it when they somehow manage to stitch together a mythology from a bunch of disparate throwaway pieces.

Hail Don Dimelo

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
During the middle of this I was just thinking it's amazing how interconnected all of Andy Daly's characters are but oh golly! I really hope there's a bonus episode this week and they don't keep us in suspense until monday.

For anyone reading the thread that hasn't heard the episode yet, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Trujillo posted:

During the middle of this I was just thinking it's amazing how interconnected all of Andy Daly's characters are but oh golly! I really hope there's a bonus episode this week and they don't keep us in suspense until monday.

Given that Bonus eps come out on Thursdays, and "Review" starts on Thursday, I feel like the odds are good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I want to know the background to this episode more than any individual one they've ever done. I'm always intrigued as to how much of a new character is thought of in advance, but I wonder if there was any plan for the good vs evil war, having Dalton on etc before hand or if it naturally just came up. I've always presumed there's a bit of setup done in the breaks too but Scott is just a master of moving a show along well.

I've not listened to Nine Sweaters before and I hear it's great, so that'll be my 'going to bed' listen instead of CBB for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Holy poo poo. That last episode started out a little rough and then quickly took a turn to the sublime and never looked back.