Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

motherbox posted:

Since I can tell I'm going to be jonesing for more Hickman once I'm caught up on Avengers: any word about whether or not we're ever gonna see the rest of his Fantastic Four run in omnibus form?

Read what's out of East of West and Manhattan Projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

motherbox posted:

Really? Thought it was mid-2013, and I don't really know what the normal turnaround is on that sort of stuff. I guess I'm spoiled by how quickly the turnaround was on the Infinity hardcover.

There is no normal timetable on OSHCs anymore. We should have seen a Mles Morales volume by now but still nothing. The first Hickman FF Omni was just released in October, we're usually lucky to see those kinds of books once a year.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

motherbox posted:

Since I can tell I'm going to be jonesing for more Hickman once I'm caught up on Avengers: any word about whether or not we're ever gonna see the rest of his Fantastic Four run in omnibus form?

Secret Warriors is good stuff too, and available in omnibus form, though it appears to have just gone out of print so you should get on that soon if you're interested. I find the rest of Hickman's writing lacks the humane element that his FF (and SW, and Avengers to a certain extent) have - but if you're looking for cool ideas and innovative storytelling SHIELD and his early Image stuff (I remember liking The Nightly News, Pax Romana and Transhuman the best) are at least worth a look at the library.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Secret Warriors is good stuff too, and available in omnibus form, though it appears to have just gone out of print so you should get on that soon if you're interested. I find the rest of Hickman's writing lacks the humane element that his FF (and SW, and Avengers to a certain extent) have - but if you're looking for cool ideas and innovative storytelling SHIELD and his early Image stuff (I remember liking The Nightly News, Pax Romana and Transhuman the best) are at least worth a look at the library.

I've actually read most of his pre-Marvel stuff and Secret Warriors already; Nightly News was what got me into him to begin with. I haven't done East of West or The Manhattan Projects, so I may check those out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought more Expedtis on Monday, got partially set up tonight.

Old setup

New setup

I have more to assemble and arrange but this is my new Marvel section.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Remender's Uncanny X-Force omnibus drops next week.

I've been waiting so long for this.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

New setup

Sheeeee-it. Those actually look quite nice. My place is a mess because I don't have enough shelves, and my tv etc are sitting on this really crappy unit which was in the place when we moved in. That setup looks really cool though. Are the shelves wide enough to fit a cable box, blu ray player, video games consoles and the like?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Sheeeee-it. Those actually look quite nice. My place is a mess because I don't have enough shelves, and my tv etc are sitting on this really crappy unit which was in the place when we moved in. That setup looks really cool though. Are the shelves wide enough to fit a cable box, blu ray player, video games consoles and the like?

Cable box and BR no, Game consoles fit. There's a corresponding line of tv stands that match the Expedits but they have also been discontinued. That tv was an Amazon deal and I needed something to extend my desktop onto without dropping cash on a monitor but I have seen people use a 1x5 Expedit as a tv stand, you just have to get creative about where you put your receiver and such.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I am a poo poo head and just really getting into comics (as a primary source - always loved tv/movie adaptations). I think the most accessible avenue seems to be in compilations and anthologies, thus here I am.

DC's stuff seems easier to find and identify - e.g. Kingdom Come, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Gotham Central - while Marvel, I have no loving clue. It would be cool to get up on Guardians prior to the film coming out but I can't find a real consensus on which books to get for that.

I'll take any help I can get. If there's a noob thread, please direct me to it, as I'm a little lost obviously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pretend to care posted:

DC's stuff seems easier to find and identify - e.g. Kingdom Come, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Gotham Central - while Marvel, I have no loving clue. It would be cool to get up on Guardians prior to the film coming out but I can't find a real consensus on which books to get for that.

Right, so, the roots of the modern Guardians are in the Annihilation crossover (written mainly by Keith Giffen with tie-ins by other writers and artists), which is being collected in an oversized hardcover omnibus edition later this year. Most of the movie's characters are drawn from the 2008 ongoing series written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning; the original collections are tough to find but the series is going to be collected in a new series of trade paperbacks later in the year as well.

(I like the Jim Valentino series from the 1990s but it probably won't be relevant to the movie)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

pretend to care posted:

I'll take any help I can get. If there's a noob thread, please direct me to it, as I'm a little lost obviously.

There is a noob thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611169&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

And, yeah, the Annihilation stuff is probably the best place to get caught up on Guardians of the Galaxy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

Cable box and BR no, Game consoles fit. There's a corresponding line of tv stands that match the Expedits but they have also been discontinued. That tv was an Amazon deal and I needed something to extend my desktop onto without dropping cash on a monitor but I have seen people use a 1x5 Expedit as a tv stand, you just have to get creative about where you put your receiver and such.

I used to have an entertainment center based on the Billy design. Short and stout with an offset center divider so the left side was wider to fit big components. And the center divider didn't extend all the way to the back, so passing cables between the two sides was a breeze. Used it in college for a few years as a book case/stereo stand, then it held my 100+ pound CRT TV for six or seven years after. It's now still going strong at my aunt's house with their TV. That would look good flanked by some Expedits, but they no longer sell it.

The "nicer" TV stand I got from Target had a pronounced bow in the middle after holding up my ~35 pound LCD TV, receiver, and Xbox for a few months and definitely cost more than anything from Ikea.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Uthor posted:

There is a noob thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611169&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

And, yeah, the Annihilation stuff is probably the best place to get caught up on Guardians of the Galaxy.

Found that shortly after posting, unfortunately it's still a bit confusing and that thread mentions nothing about Annihilation. If it's not in an anthology I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on it, unfortunately just don't have the time or resources (stores, presumably) to go hunting.

Metal Loaf posted:

Right, so, the roots of the modern Guardians are in the Annihilation crossover (written mainly by Keith Giffen with tie-ins by other writers and artists), which is being collected in an oversized hardcover omnibus edition later this year. Most of the movie's characters are drawn from the 2008 ongoing series written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning; the original collections are tough to find but the series is going to be collected in a new series of trade paperbacks later in the year as well.

(I like the Jim Valentino series from the 1990s but it probably won't be relevant to the movie)

I'll definitely check it out later this year. Sucks that it will (presumably) be after the film.

What are other good recs? I've got Kingdom Come, Crisis, and Gotham Central in my Amazon cart right now but the Marvel stuff still eludes me.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

pretend to care posted:

Found that shortly after posting, unfortunately it's still a bit confusing and that thread mentions nothing about Annihilation. If it's not in an anthology I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on it, unfortunately just don't have the time or resources (stores, presumably) to go hunting.

First, I'd recommend using Marvel Unlimited to read this stuff. Much easier/cheaper than trying to hunt down all of the singles or trades unless you really want to own them.

As far as what to read, well...

I used this list as my guideline when organizing all of the Marvel Cosmic stuff I gathered recently to bind in hardcover. It looks daunting, but it really isn't.

Annihilation through The Thanos Imperative is really the main part of the whole Abnett and Lanning cosmic run, as those two events really bookend the whole story being told. Star-Lord is around from Annihilation onward, but the rest of the Guardians don't show up until his 4 issue series during Annihilation Conquest, and then the actual Guardians series starts at the end of Conquest. At the very least, read the event books, Nova, and Guardians of the Galaxy (plus the 4 issue Star-Lord series). There will probably some aspects of the plot you won't quite understand at times, but that's to be expected (especially if you skip the Inhuman and X-Men/Vulcan stuff during War of Kings).

That said, it's worth trying to read the entire Annihilation to Thanos Imperative run if you can. There are a few stinkers that you could skip, like the World of Skaar and Son of Hulk books, but overall it is a really entertaining read. The whole run is a great little self-contained era of comics.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 1, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

pretend to care posted:

I haven't had a chance to finish it off yet, but the point of the thread is that you can post in there and ask where to start reading poo poo, or to find new stuff to read which is similar to stuff you've enjoyed. The list in the OP is just taking care of frequently asked stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I put the 1x5 Expedit together, had to pull everything off the shelves so I could slide it into the corner for proper rigidity. Took loving forever but I think I have it how I want it for now.

Previous

Current

I need to make room in the closet for those comic boxes and find something to put my printer on top of under the desk. I also tossed a ton of junk from the fabric bins and that freed up a few more cubes. So now I have all this space and it's just asking to be filled.

poo poo.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

DFu4ever posted:

First, I'd recommend using Marvel Unlimited to read this stuff. Much easier/cheaper than trying to hunt down all of the singles or trades unless you really want to own them.

I used this list as my guideline when organizing all of the Marvel Cosmic stuff I gathered recently to bind in hardcover. It looks daunting, but it really isn't.

Annihilation through The Thanos Imperative is really the main part of the whole Abnett and Lanning cosmic run, as those two events really bookend the whole story being told. Star-Lord is around from Annihilation onward, but the rest of the Guardians don't show up until his 4 issue series during Annihilation Conquest, and then the actual Guardians series starts at the end of Conquest. At the very least, read the event books, Nova, and Guardians of the Galaxy (plus the 4 issue Star-Lord series). There will probably some aspects of the plot you won't quite understand at times, but that's to be expected (especially if you skip the Inhuman and X-Men/Vulcan stuff during War of Kings).

That said, it's worth trying to read the entire Annihilation to Thanos Imperative run if you can. There are a few stinkers that you could skip, like the World of Skaar and Son of Hulk books, but overall it is a really entertaining read. The whole run is a great little self-contained era of comics.

This is awesome. Thanks a lot dude. How does the binding concept work? You take physical books and combine them into your own anthology of sorts?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DFu4ever posted:

Is grabbing the various OSHCs the best way to grab the first 4 columns (print-wise)? I see various ones at used book stores pretty frequently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That graphic isn't entirely correct. Someone already mentioned SS Requiem being a What If but the BRB Godhunter series came out well after Annihilation as well. Also the rest of those books are total poo poo other than the Stormbreaker book.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

redbackground posted:

Is grabbing the various OSHCs the best way to grab the first 4 columns (print-wise)? I see various ones at used book stores pretty frequently.

The cheapest/easiest way to read all of this is to get a Marvel Unlimited subscription. If you want them in print, you could wait for the Annihilation omnibus, which is out in May. Otherwise, get what you can find, if you don't have to pay a lot - many of these are long out of print.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Is the smart panel view pretty trustworthy in the android app?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

pretend to care posted:

This is awesome. Thanks a lot dude. How does the binding concept work? You take physical books and combine them into your own anthology of sorts?

Exactly, except you send them out to the handful of professional binderies that specialize in that sort of thing. Our own redbackground is one of several BSS Goons who has bound a lot of comics, and I blogged about my binding experiences back in the day:

http://bigbadvoodoolou.blogspot.com/2009/07/binding-comic-books-1-justice-league.html
http://bigbadvoodoolou.blogspot.com/2009/10/binding-comic-books-2-starman-sandman.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, Breakdowns was such a bad way to end that era.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Only ya'll can answer my question, ya'll are my only hope:

Can I comfortably read the Remender Punisher Omni on a plane? It's at a shop near me for 40 dollars and I'm flying coast to coast in a week with nothing to read but some Star Wars books.

I have a fairly meaty lap if that matters.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Only ya'll can answer my question, ya'll are my only hope:

Can I comfortably read the Remender Punisher Omni on a plane? It's at a shop near me for 40 dollars and I'm flying coast to coast in a week with nothing to read but some Star Wars books.

I have a fairly meaty lap if that matters.

Probably, it's not huge like Secret Wars 2 or the ridiculous Amazing Spider-Man. Honestly though I'd never read an omni on a plane and never bring comics that aren't on a tablet - the ratio of content:weight is too unbalanced.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Exactly, except you send them out to the handful of professional binderies that specialize in that sort of thing. Our own redbackground is one of several BSS Goons who has bound a lot of comics, and I blogged about my binding experiences back in the day:

http://bigbadvoodoolou.blogspot.com/2009/07/binding-comic-books-1-justice-league.html
http://bigbadvoodoolou.blogspot.com/2009/10/binding-comic-books-2-starman-sandman.html
Binding? Never heard of it. :ninja:

I actually have three new volumes headed my way this week that I'm very excited about.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 3, 2014

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We used to have our own binding thread but now I go here for a lot of info. Great for starting out.

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/forums/2

Careful. What starts out as a way to clear out some long boxes and get cool books on the shelf becomes an obsession to fill all the gaps in your collection and buy huge lots of obscure books off eBay just to bind them.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

pretend to care posted:

Basically yeah. You organize your books in whatever order you want and group them by volume. Pick the options for each book and send them to the binder. It's pretty neat, and as other have said it can get addictive. There should be a picture of my Cosmic Marvel bindings in this thread, probably somewhere in the last few pages.

I used https://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com and their quality is fantastic. I actually just sent them a package of books for four more bindings last week. A two volume Immortal Iron Fist set, and a two volume Alias/The Pulse set.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno's on the Dole.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

Rhyno's on the Dole.

Bob Dole?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
How is the Planetary Omnibus? Also is there an Omnibus or something that collects all of Transmetropolitan or are there only trades right now?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Sundowner posted:

How is the Planetary Omnibus? Also is there an Omnibus or something that collects all of Transmetropolitan or are there only trades right now?

Good.

No.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Sundowner posted:

How is the Planetary Omnibus?

Nice quality and a good looking book. Well worth the price.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Late to the great IKEA panic, but seriously, the worst part of IKEA furniture is the edges. Whenever it gets damaged it's always the edges or corners. Who cares if they're swapping to rounded ones? I know that when I move the 5x5 Epedit is probably forfeit, but I'm not panicking on replacing it with the new one. I'll probably also be raising children in my next place, so I guess the more child safe the better.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Has anyone ever thrown casters on an expedit that's 4x4 or up? I'm curious if a) it's worth the extra $30-$45 and b) if it's stable enough to just roll.

I ask because it would make moving these suckers so much easier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

Has anyone ever thrown casters on an expedit that's 4x4 or up? I'm curious if a) it's worth the extra $30-$45 and b) if it's stable enough to just roll.

I ask because it would make moving these suckers so much easier.

They do not recommend it, it seems to me like it would be very unstable.

I'm now sitting on an extra 5x5 and 1x5 for when we move/buy a house.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 5, 2014

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Just echoing the awesomeness of http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com. I've got 3 volumes in the mail from them right now, and already have more prepped to send.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think I'm leaning towards getting Hickman's Avengers run bound like that because I don't think they are going to do the omnis how I want them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

I think I'm leaning towards getting Hickman's Avengers run bound like that because I don't think they are going to do the omnis how I want them.

How would you do it? New Avengers 1-3, then Avengers 1 on with New until Infinity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

How would you do it? New Avengers 1-3, then Avengers 1 on with New until Infinity?

I haven't put a ton of thought into it yet, but I would definitely start with those first three NA issues then switch between the two series. Not sure if I would switch every issue or try to break it up by arcs though.