Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm a liar by nature. Lying is as easy as breathing to me and it should be: I'm a writer, after all.

Does anyone have the psyduck that sprouts tentacles covered in other psyduck heads? For some reason I can't seem to find it in my gif folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey I said lying came natural to me: I never said I was any good at it.

lexan posted:

Then for the love of god, why didn't you tell the Sears manager that you used to work at Target and had a good record pushing the credit card?
If they didn't bring it up, I wasn't going to bring it up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey I said lying came natural to me: I never said I was any good at it.

We found our new thread title.

Benny the Snake: It comes natural to me; I never said I was any good at it.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Benny the Snake posted:

If you have ever been to a Sears, you know that nothing is more important than pushing the credit card. You have experience doing exactly that in a retail setting, and it's something you were actually good at. I can't imagine why you wouldn't share that.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

lexan posted:

If you have ever been to a Sears, you know that nothing is more important than pushing the credit card. You have experience doing exactly that in a retail setting, and it's something you were actually good at. I can't imagine why you wouldn't share that.
Because I didn't want to bring up the elephant in the room.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Benny the Snake posted:

the elephant in the room.

Doesn't this mean there is a topic that both parties are aware of, but neither party wants to talk about?? Or am I losing my mind?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Doesn't this mean there is a topic that both parties are aware of, but neither party wants to talk about?? Or am I losing my mind?
Yes I meant that. My interviewers most definitely know about Target. I wasn't willing to bring it up if they wouldn't.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm a writer, after all.

This thread is loving hysterical.

I can't remember if leaving Target off your resume was advice from your job counselor or not, but as many others have said, if Target is like any other retail job all they'll do is confirm the dates that you worked for them.

Serious question: do you even want or need a job at this point? You seem to have it made at home.

Edit: And I might be wrong but what the hell. I think in order for it to be an "elephant in the room" the people at Sears would have to already know you were fired from Target. Am I correct?

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 3, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Aqua Bear posted:

This thread is loving hysterical.

I can't remember if leaving Target off your resume was advice from your job counselor or not, but as many others have said, if Target is like any other retail job all they'll do is confirm the dates that you worked for them.

Serious question: do you even want or need a job at this point? You seem to have it made at home.
I want a job. It's why I showed up at the interview an hour earlier dressed professionally and with a resume ready. And yes, it was my job counselor's advice not to put Target on my resume.

EDIT: Now that I know that Target won't go into details why I was let go, I'll bring up Target and my redcard successes on my next interview. I guess I'll BS why I was let go then. Why I didn't get the job on the spot is because I'm not their only candidate. The first interview then was them weeding out the bad candidates from the good.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 3, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

I want a job. It's why I showed up at the interview an hour earlier

The gently caress man, why? 15 minutes is courteous and professional. 60 minutes shows you had nothing better to do with your life, like practice responses to common interview questions.

When the hell is it ever normal to show up an hour early somewhere in a business setting?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Benny the Snake posted:

Yes I meant that. My interviewers most definitely know about Target. I wasn't willing to bring it up if they wouldn't.

Your Sears interviewers knew about Target? Didn't you leave Target off your resume and also not say anything about pushing the Target credit card?

:psyduck: I think I am losing my mind.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

OP please describe the manager's reaction when you awkwardly shuffled back into his life shortly after the interview and gave him a hand written thank you note

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Your Sears interviewers knew about Target? Didn't you leave Target off your resume and also not say anything about pushing the Target credit card?

:psyduck: I think I am losing my mind.

I thought so too and I am now very confused. He's probably lying. Again.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I think he put Target on the Sears application but not on his resume.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

The gently caress man, why? 15 minutes is courteous and professional. 60 minutes shows you had nothing better to do with your life, like practice responses to common interview questions.

When the hell is it ever normal to show up an hour early somewhere in a business setting?

Oh god, how did I miss that. It's actually rude to show up more than fifteen minutes early. It makes the interviewer feel like they have to rush the things they were set to do before your arrival, is distracting, and just goddamn awkward.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It was in a mall so I walked around and applied to a couple of other places before my interview.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Croc Monster posted:

I thought so too and I am now very confused. He's probably lying. Again.

Well, it comes naturally to him.

Benny, you do know that "it comes naturally", in reference to a skill of any sort, is usually understood as "naturally good at it", right? You may want to add that definition to your writing repertoire there.

e:

Benny the Snake posted:

It was in a mall so I walked around and applied to a couple of other places before my interview.

So you didn't show up an hour early, because "showing up" means "in the lobby", not "somewhere in the general vicinity".

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 3, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah, in that context it is perfectly fine, since you didn't actually show up inside Sear's for your interview and twiddle thumbs for 45 minutes, which was the vibe I was getting from the previous post.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Is it really that common to submit a resume when applying for a retail job? I guess I haven't applied in that sector for many years, but I recall never needing more than an application.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Is it really that common to submit a resume when applying for a retail job? I guess I haven't applied in that sector for many years, but I recall never needing more than an application.

Yeah, it is. When I worked retail I always brought one with me just in case. Some interviewers seemed to like 'em, others didn't give a poo poo, but I never got the impression that just having one was a mark against me. I don't think that one's worth getting down on Benny for. There are other, far funnier things to wonder at here.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Benny the Snake posted:

Because I didn't want to bring up the elephant in the room.

You brought it up when you put it on the application. If you're going to pretend it never happened, don't put it on your resume. If you're going to put it on your resume, then don't play dumb about it in the interview. Pick one and stick with it.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Yeah, in that context it is perfectly fine, since you didn't actually show up inside Sear's for your interview and twiddle thumbs for 45 minutes, which was the vibe I was getting from the previous post.

Yeah, but you know that soon an emended statement will specify that he actually did that, though. He walked back and forth outside the door for 45 minutes, huffing impatiently at the receptionist and practicing his awesome subterfuge lines out loud. Nobody would spot the deception!

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Benny, how often do you lie? Do you lie about minor, inconsequential things all the time, and do you do it during your job interviews? Some people are habitual liars, but combined with your complete lack of self-awareness you could be coming across as a terrible liar in your interviews.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Benny the Snake posted:

Lying is as easy as breathing to me and it should be: I'm trying to be a writer, after all.

Your writing sucks because you believe this.

This loving thread.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Quantum Finger posted:

This loving thread.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
That was a really gross and enlightening post. Thanks for that, Benny. Now we have found the actual root of all of your problems.

Your life is a mess because you are a bad person, Benny. That's all there is to it. You don't get jobs because you have this gross smugness about yourself that you use to parade your successes and mask your failures. Whenever you mention your mistakes you sound like you are congratulating yourself, both for having negatives and for being sentient enough to recognize them after the fact. But you never change them. You have the inane ability to make even humble moments entirely about yourself and how "great" you are.

What I'm saying is that your biggest problem is you are an rear end in a top hat and should work on that before you work on anything else. That's the core problem. Give up on getting a job and think about why you have no interpersonal skills and then actually get some.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
So at the moment you have no good employment references.

You know how you get a good reference? You volunteer.

Find a nonprofit near where you live. Go in there a few hours a week and stuff envelopes or sort mail or clean bird cages or something. Do it well and they'll give you a good reference. Easy as that.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

echopapa posted:

Do it well and they'll give you a good reference. Easy as that.

I think I've spotted a major flaw in your idea.

"I have a better way to stuff an envelope!" and many bird deaths will occur.

e: although I do yearn for him volunteering at an alcohol abuse support group and calling in hungover one day :allears:

franco fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 3, 2014

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

franco posted:

"I have a better way to stuff an envelope!" and many bird deaths will occur.

It would make for some rather strange surprises coming through the post if he combined the two.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Benny the Snake posted:

And just to let you know, if I won't tell the truth then I just won't say anything. There's plenty that I've been holding back from you guys because it's in my best interests to do so. It just works out better that way.

What have you been holding back, Benny??? The world must know!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Womens Jeans posted:

What have you been holding back, Benny??? The world must know!

I didn't even notice this line at first. Holy poo poo. Tell us, Benny. Tell us.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

There is just no way someone could be this stupid and form words in a somewhat coherent way. This has to be a troll.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

CrazyTolradi posted:

There is just no way someone could be this stupid and form words in a somewhat coherent way. This has to be a troll.

Not true. Have you read the book flowers for algernon?

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Have to say, I never expected Benny to reach the "dance, puppets, dance" phase.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

No Longer Flaky posted:

Not true. Have you read the book flowers for algernon?

I'm not sure how that even relates, it's a work of fiction and thus not about real people.

Benny, as portrayed in this thread, can't be real. No real person could be that god drat stupid and oblivious to what is in front of them and yet, communicate in a manner that isn't simplistic grunts and growls.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm not sure how that even relates, it's a work of fiction and thus not about real people.

Benny, as portrayed in this thread, can't be real. No real person could be that god drat stupid and oblivious to what is in front of them and yet, communicate in a manner that isn't simplistic grunts and growls.

What? That book isn't non-fiction?

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

No Longer Flaky posted:

What? That book isn't non-fiction?

Benny the Mouse

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny is Ignatius J. Reilly

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Arian_Samurai posted:

Benny is Ignatius J. Reilly

I caught myself thinking this at least 3 times now.

The *only* way you can really screw up a retail interview from a huge chain like Sears or Target or anything like that is to demonstrate that you are a little weird. They just want to hire some normal people that they know aren't going to go off the deep end one day and are at least semi-reliable. For interviews like that, do *exactly* what the generic interview advice says and don't go the extra mile. 10~ minutes early. Dress nice, but don't suit/tie it. Answer questions as honestly as possible and remember that you'll be in front of other humans in your job. The interview is by in large a test to see if you can communicate with another human without you freaking out, and without them freaking out about you.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

CrazyTolradi posted:

You don't visit E/N that often do you. We had a thread about a kid who crossed a red light and got hit by a car that wanted to sue the driver because "he got screwed over". You're also forgetting that the beginning of this thread had pantshitters telling Benny that he should sue his mom over comic books.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I caught myself thinking this at least 3 times now.

The *only* way you can really screw up a retail interview from a huge chain like Sears or Target or anything like that is to demonstrate that you are a little weird. They just want to hire some normal people that they know aren't going to go off the deep end one day and are at least semi-reliable. For interviews like that, do *exactly* what the generic interview advice says and don't go the extra mile. 10~ minutes early. Dress nice, but don't suit/tie it. Answer questions as honestly as possible and remember that you'll be in front of other humans in your job. The interview is by in large a test to see if you can communicate with another human without you freaking out, and without them freaking out about you.

Can someone explain how the retail job interview process works? I'm still perplexed I didn't get a single interview as a HS kid with a 4.0 GPA while my other friends were swimming in minimum wage jobs.

• Locked thread