Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borden
Jul 23, 2008

CaptainCaveman posted:

She told him her destination.

Alternate theory. He's the cab driver from Ghost Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
To be fair, outgunning the IJA was not a challenge. Their idea of an antitank weapon was to half-bury a guy with a bomb and instructions to detonate the bomb if a Sherman came along and ran over him. Japan just didn't get the concept of tank warfare.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

How could you not see this coming? You stand out like a green goose wearing a pink headband.

This looks kind of familiar...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A big city like Santa Royale. :what:

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Overall I prefer Beatty's work on this strip to Nolan's, but the way he draws Sarah is just terrible. She consistently looks like some sort of gremlin.

Helicity posted:

Now I know you're somebody's alt designed for trolling. No one would ever post Reply All in a serious manner, out of the blue, without commentary.

Reply All is actually pretty good sometimes. Case in point:

Adam@Home

This is pretty much the platonic form of "a comic strip about video games by someone who's never played one".

Garfield

Taking a leaf from Heathcliff's book today.

Henry

Mandrake the Magician (1941-11-16)

The Pajama Diaries

Looking at the clock, she was sitting there like that for seven hours.

Zits

How could he possibly have imagined this conversation was going to go?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Only two things in her list are true. He is underage, and she does forbid it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

slylock fox answer
Wait, it's not that the camera is pointed parallel to the backdrop and thus it's just getting chunks of the soundstage behind the front of the sedan chair, which it cant' see Cleopatra in? :psyduck:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Garfield

Taking a leaf from Heathcliff's book today.

Somehow I only just now made the connection that Heathcliff never talks. Has he ever?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
e: drat it, Tiggum, keep out of my turf

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What is sex powder? Cocaine?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

His Divine Shadow posted:

What is sex powder? Cocaine?

Nah. You get this powder, that you mix with water, and it makes lube.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

Somehow I only just now made the connection that Heathcliff never talks. Has he ever?

He did in the cartoon, not sure about the comic though.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

His Divine Shadow posted:

What is sex powder?

It's unsanitary, gets all over the place.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

Heathcliff

Man, that Garbage Ape in the bottom left would probably make a great avatar. I still really like my weird Ballard Street duck-man, but I'd be tempted.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Safety Factor posted:

Man, that Garbage Ape in the bottom left would probably make a great avatar. I still really like my weird Ballard Street duck-man, but I'd be tempted.

gently caress YOUR GARBAGE

Also

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 3, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Only two things in her list are true. He is underage, and she does forbid it.

Well, given the amount of care Jeremy is likely to take, it's probably messy and unsanitary too. And also possibly dangerous.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

e: drat it, Tiggum, keep out of my turf

Safety Factor posted:

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
Can someone please avatarise that kid in Tina's Groove? Maybe with his eyes changed to be looking out towards the posting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Sezza posted:

Can someone please avatarise that kid in Tina's Groove?

The transparent one looks poo poo against a dark background. :effort:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

You, uh, doing okay there Charles?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

The plot thickens...

Non Sequitur

Bleh.

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's.

Kliban

:psyduck: Predecessor to this? And I guess it still can be called a tunnel if it's above ground.

9 Chickweed Lane 3/3/2003

What?

Zits

Tiggum! :argh:

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

Nemi

:3:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Loomus

Odd to see the "police have too much paperwork" saw in use in the left-leaning Guardian.

Berger & Wyse

Oh?

Stephen Collins

A blistering satire against the Oscars, a compliment to the good sportsmanship of di Caprio.

Tom Gauld

This strip makes me think of Jack Kirby.

Momma

The yellow wallpaper is back. Also Momma apparently only sleeps once a month.

Does he think that Francis is responsible? Or is he going to replace the Monkey with Francis, because I suspect that might be illegal.

Rarebit Fiend

What great calamity is this anyway!

e: I just noticed that now we have reason to suppose that Momma is Jewish

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 3, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: I just noticed that now we have reason to suppose that Momma is Jewish

You just noticed now? Mell Lazarus has always been Jewish.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've never met the man.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Excellent, thank you.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Tiggum posted:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac waxes.

The Creeps Waynes.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Foxy Grandpa Introduces The Boys To The Occult

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy is all about contingency plans. (December 13, 1926)

Peanuts sticks it to the President's Council on Physical Fitness. (March 6, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Upcoming: a week of Cindy wallowing in the living Hell that is Cleveland, Ohio. Or more to the point, creating her own personal Hell out of the raw materials that Cleveland provides. Oh, who am I kidding, that would be almost exciting in an aggravating way. She's probably just going to kick about how not NYC it is, the way high-lar-ee-ous people do.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

As a presidential candidate, Pogo is practicing the bit about awakening the sleeping giant. (March 5, 1956)

Out Our Way (July 21-22, 1924)

The moral: Never let a sheep shearer do a barber's job.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Upcoming: a week of Cindy wallowing in the living Hell that is Cleveland, Ohio. Or more to the point, creating her own personal Hell out of the raw materials that Cleveland provides. Oh, who am I kidding, that would be almost exciting in an aggravating way. She's probably just going to kick about how not NYC it is, the way high-lar-ee-ous people do.

High school popular girl turned big city news anchor Cindy Summer certainly would make an offhand reference to Siegel and Schuster's contract woes! That's some great in-character dialogue you can write, Tom Batiuk!

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

The plot thickens...

This is idiotic. She's been worried about the consequences if her mom finds out she is gay, and now we find out she already has an openly gay sister and their mom is fine with it? Why the gently caress was she worried then?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Thanks for posting these! There's something weirdly endearing about Emmy Lou. Maybe it's the 50s feel of the artwork, dunno.

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

That methodology doesn't sound like Val. I mean, wouldn't you think that if his old man was a "pretty drat good king", most of the kingdom would want him back? Would he really have to, sort of, "beat the subjects back into submission" to his father? That statement makes him come off as the Russia to their Ukraine.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps Waynes.

I fuckin' adore the Creeps. :allears:

Moomin

I've always kinda wondered how stuff like this happens, but I guess the nearby ocean is more of a landbound sea, kinda like a closed off Mediterranean.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

He got over his wife almost dying fast.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Ok, it starts slow, but I promise you it picks up and becomes awesome. Any of you who might recognize this from what I've posted so far will know I'm right. ;)

Oh poo poo, are you ever. I am on the Edge of my Seat Comix.

Pooch Café

Dude, the dog that has abilities so powerful that you immediately made him your king is now fighting another dog with the same powers, and you're disappointed about it? This is the dog version of Superman vs. Shazam! Spidey vs. Venom! Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant!

Ballard Street

Ballard Street residents demonstrate a better understanding of the mechanics of climate change than Donald Trump.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

1940:
- Go tell them we need a
kk to ward off the attack!
- It'll take another month

"kk" is an abbreviation for two things: konekivääri, assault rifle and kuukausi, month.

Fok_It

Shrove Tuesday's tomorrow but Finns celebrate the preceding Sunday as well.

Wikipedia posted:

In Finland the day is called laskiainen and is generally celebrated by eating green pea soup and a pastry called laskiaispulla (sweet bread filled with whipped cream and jam or almond paste). The celebration often includes sledging.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

scarycave posted:

I don't know if this is exactly what you meant but...

Yes! Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

Despite the bad quality, I'm really enjoying old Doonesbury. I don't want to advocate you drop any of them, since I read most of them at points, but I would like to keep seeing Doonesbury.

To elaborate--Sherman tanks had three inches of armor plating, or 76.2 millimeters, at the most. That's not a lot--the German Panzer IV, which predated the war by three years, had 88 mm, and most of the German antitank weaponry could penetrate much thicker armor. They were also undergunned for much of the war, being armed with a 75 mm gun that couldn't penetrate the front armor of most German late-war tanks such as the Panther and the Tiger.

The Sherman had some advantages, though. It was--as mentioned--cheap to make and fast to build, so the Americans could field about five Shermans to every one German tank. Only around 9000 Panzer IVs were ever made--over forty-nine thousand Shermans were. Additionally, the Sherman was fast for its size, so it could get around the enemy's flanks with relative ease and strike at the side and rear armor of its heavier opponents provided it didn't get knocked the gently caress out first.

In the Pacific Theater, it's not even a question--the Sherman outgunned nearly everything that the Japanese could throw at it. So overall, it was absolutely underdesigned for the role it had to fill, but numbers and speed (and field-modification upgunning) allowed the Sherman to rule the day. "Zerg Rush" is definitely apt.

Well, the Sherman's frontal plate was sloped, so it had more effective armor than the Pz4's 88mm. In fact, the T-34's armor was thinner than the Sherman's, but was also sloped such that it was more effective than its thickness would indicate. At the beginning of the war, German guns actually couldn't penetrate even the T-34's sloped armor, so they would have been insufficient against the Sherman, too.

That said, the Germans quickly learned their lesson (with regard to penetration, not with regard to armour slope - they never really learned their lesson in that regard and continued to do flat-panel armor that was just not as efficient as it could have been) and loaded a higher-velocity round that was capable of defeating both armours.

However, the US Army did deploy the Easy 8 and Jumbo variants of the Sherman tank, which had thicker frontal plates to help defeat higher-velocity German guns. It was still only somewhat effective (few Jumbos were produced; the Easy Eight was more prolific) because Germans were as good at building high-velocity guns by war's end as they were bad at building efficient armor plating.

That said, Sherman tanks? How old is this guy?

• Locked thread