Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

The tweaks to the helmet were fine, but wow, that's some arena league poo poo.

hahaha seriously, my first thought went to arena football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Awful. Thank you

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I actually like it :blush: Except for the numbers, Jesus Christ.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

which XFL division are they moving to?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Personally I like it all around. :(

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Team: Create New Team
Uniforms: Random

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

BREAKING: Lovie Smith steps down as HC

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

I think it's ugly but at least it's a distinctive look.

Yea, it's about time the Bucs had a distinctive uniform that really stood out from the rest of the league. :jerkbag:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If they took away all the extra coloring trim and redid the numbers it would look fine but I'm stunned somebody ok'ed those numbers.

In general I think its biggest problem is that it looks way too busy.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
I actually like the general look of the uniform, but those numbers are absurd. And the fact that there's 4 pairs of 'em on every single uniform is really a bummer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Multiplesarcasm posted:

I actually like the general look of the uniform, but those numbers are absurd. And the fact that there's 4 pairs of 'em on every single uniform is really a bummer.

Doesn't the NFL require numbers on sleeves/shoulders these days?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hello I'm Johnny Rico, starting quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I think on some level Nike is doing performance art. All 3 florida teams have gotten new looks and all of them have been strange. Maybe they are trying to suggest that all 3 teams belong in the arena league.

The Dolphins were a step back for sure from prior versions. Although ultimately not that bad, they were still very much a downgrade.

The Jags were IMO an upgrade, but not because the uniforms are anything special (in fact kind of stupid) but because they are more visually interesting than the dull whatever the Jags had before.

But this is just terrible. The Bucs had a great look, I don't get this at all. I feel like I can't tell what the base color is. Like with the buc prior ones, and with most teams, it's the color of the jersey and the pants are the secondary color. But this has mostly Brown everywhere, but the brown is in all the secondary color locations. Which makes white the main color? I guess? There isn't enough white to call it the main one though. I saw someone describe the brown shoulders as "too heavy" on the white, I'd agree.

I messed around for a second and tried to make the jersey have more orange, and honestly while it's still very arena league I like the no white better. It at least has a more defined color for it's main.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So they can't wear the creamsicle unis anymore but they'll wear that atrocity

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

So they can't wear the creamsicle unis anymore but they'll wear that atrocity

They can wear the creamsicles, they just can't wear the white helmets due to the one-helmet rule.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oldskool posted:

one-helmet rule.

What exactly is the reasoning behind this? That seems like a really strange rule.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

What exactly is the reasoning behind this? That seems like a really strange rule.

Something something player safety

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

DJExile posted:

The NFL said it would be a safety concern if players changed helmets during the season. Not individuals helmets though, but helmet types. Apparently some players on the Bucs were using older models of helmets that were no longer made, thus they couldn't just buy another copy of it and paint it white. So if Revis were wearing a (made up helmet type because this is just an example) Schutt 200XJ from 2009 then the Bucs probably wouldn't be able to find another copy. Before the rule they would just give him a Schutt 69A2M and he would wear that for the throwback game and then switch back to his normal Schutt 200XJ. The new rule requires the Bucs to find another Schutt 200XJ if they want to have Revis wear a different color helmet for a game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

DJExile posted:

They claim having players wear multiple helmets, even if it is the same make and model, can impact their ability to gather proper concussion data on players. I understand that they are trying to limit variables, but it is pretty stupid. One good thing they are doing is having trained helmet fitters properly size each player's helmet, since a proper fit is a critical factor in how well a helmet will protect a player from concussions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They just have to make them and they don't want to. They think this poo poo is cool and NFL 2.0.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Aniki posted:

They claim having players wear multiple helmets, even if it is the same make and model, can impact their ability to gather proper concussion data on players. I understand that they are trying to limit variables, but it is pretty stupid. One good thing they are doing is having trained helmet fitters properly size each player's helmet, since a proper fit is a critical factor in how well a helmet will protect a player from concussions.

I thought it could be the same make and model but the problem was getting more copies of some of the older styles of helmet. I'm pretty sure that came out in the thread we were discussing it in at the time.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Quest For Glory II posted:

They think this poo poo is cool and NFL 2.0.

So this jersey is the zombo.com of jerseys

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I never really liked the Bucs old design too much either (unless we're talking about the Creamsicles, those are fabulous) but I think I just don't like the color pewter. :v:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Chichevache posted:

I thought it could be the same make and model but the problem was getting more copies of some of the older styles of helmet. I'm pretty sure that came out in the thread we were discussing it in at the time.

I am going off of memory on that, so it is possible that players can wear multiple versions of the same helmet. I'm not familiar with the rate that helmets fail or are replaced. That being said, if the problem is that some players wear helmets that are no longer manufactured, then they could simply require players to wear helmets that are still in production. It seems like a bad idea to have a player wear a 5-year-old helmet anyway, but athletes are weird and sometimes stick with equipment that they are familiar with over gear that is safer, lighter, or offers other performance advantages.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Aniki posted:

I am going off of memory on that, so it is possible that players can wear multiple versions of the same helmet. I'm not familiar with the rate that helmets fail or are replaced. That being said, if the problem is that some players wear helmets that are no longer manufactured, then they could simply require players to wear helmets that are still in production. It seems like a bad idea to have a player wear a 5-year-old helmet anyway, but athletes are weird and sometimes stick with equipment that they are familiar with over gear that is safer, lighter, or offers other performance advantages.

I'm going off memory as well and I'm pretty sure we all said that it was really dumb when it came out that players can wear the same make and model, but that some players were sticking with old models.

*edit*
I dug through a dozen or so pages of this thread from last offseason and I still couldn't find the previous discussion. Anyone else have any luck?

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 3, 2014

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
I can not wait to see the Tampa Bay Clowns out on the field. Maybe they will have some exploding shoes and stuff as well, awesome.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Those uniforms suck.

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!
Not mine.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The helmet rule:

quote:

“Our Head, Neck, and Spine Committee, chaired by Drs. Hunt Batjer and Richard Ellenbogen, and the Player Safety Advisory Panel, chaired by John Madden and Ronnie Lott, have recommended that players no longer wear different helmets as part of a ‘Throwback’ or ‘Third’ uniform,” the memo from the league office said. “Our office supports this change and has reviewed it with the chairman of our Health and Safety ownership committee, Dr. John York, who concurs with this recommendation.”

quote:

Once players have properly fitted helmets that they’re comfortable wearing, the NFL doesn’t want them changing helmets during the season just for appearances.

An unnamed equipment manager came out later with an interview saying it was due to the older models not being made anymore, and the fear of lawsuits that might come if a player got injured after being forced to use a model of helmet they didn't choose themselves.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9694560/no-break-process-new-nfl-helmets

Interesting fact in that, he says that it's only the shell that he changes -- he actually pulls out all of the pads and parts inside and installs them in the new shell, so it's a very similar helmet to what it was before.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

EVGA Longoria posted:

The helmet rule:

An unnamed equipment manager came out later with an interview saying it was due to the older models not being made anymore, and the fear of lawsuits that might come if a player got injured after being forced to use a model of helmet they didn't choose themselves.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9694560/no-break-process-new-nfl-helmets

Interesting fact in that, he says that it's only the shell that he changes -- he actually pulls out all of the pads and parts inside and installs them in the new shell, so it's a very similar helmet to what it was before.

The lawyer aspect complicates things and unfortunately, the science on helmet safety is inconsistent at best. Really the only thing that everyone agrees on is a proper fitting helmet is safer than a loose helmet.

Edit: I could see there being variance from shell to shell, but they could even have the fitter agree on 3 shells per player or something along those lines.

That being said, why couldn't they cover the shells in plastic wrap and them place the appropriate stickers on the helmets? It would create more work for the trainers, but they could just peel off the wrap after the game and still comply with the stupid regulation of players only wearing one helmet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wow, that is a pretty convoluted rule.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jesus christ

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.

DJExile posted:

Doesn't the NFL require numbers on sleeves/shoulders these days?

They definitely do, it's just a shame to make something that's going to take up a quarter of your uniforms instantly remind you of the shrill "breep, breep, breep" of waking up.

It really makes you appreciate how not terrible last year's Vikings numbers were.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Multiplesarcasm posted:

They definitely do, it's just a shame to make something that's going to take up a quarter of your uniforms instantly remind you of the shrill "breep, breep, breep" of waking up.

It really makes you appreciate how not terrible last year's Vikings numbers were.

I had actually honestly forgotten that Minnesota got a redesign, theirs was really the only remake of the Nike regime that looks really good.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Multiplesarcasm posted:

By comparison the Vikings got off easy last year. I don't like the horn serif or sail serif, but it is livable compared to some of the other atrocities that Nike is throwing out there. I don't know why they feel the need for every team to have unique fonts and number styles.

Not sure why the Bucs went with the digital pirate theme. Nike really needs to start showing some restraint with their number styles.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I actually don't mind the Dolphins redesign, the biggest problem with it is that it replaced the old Dolphins jerseys/helmets. In a vacuum its not that bad.

Those new Bucs jerseys though, woof.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Who officially has final say on uniforms? I figure it's the team itself but could the NFL step in and put the kibosh on a design if they don't think it'll sell, or looks too similar to another team's design? This is assuming they have numbers the correct size and everything else, I just mean from an aesthetic standpoint.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't know what agreement that would even be in.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I just hope the reaction to this is bad enough that teams start telling Nike to kick rocks if they ask to do a redesign. I couldn't take it if they ruined Washington's look and they were a team who was really bad at playing football who had a racist name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
More Bucs pics from the website: http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/photo-gallery/Photos-New-Uniforms-Unveiled/1c5981a2-ef8c-4acb-849d-11be03e8f8df

• Locked thread