Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Not to start an argument, but I loving hated touchpads until I got a macbook. Their touchpads are amazing.

That said, I can't really grasp that nobody figured out magnetic connectors before 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ozz81 posted:

Man, I used to like Lenovo's stuff...until I was helping a co-worker with a crashed hard drive that's been encrypted with BitLocker.

The encryption wasn't the issue, apparently Lenovo has decided on their slim ultrabook style laptops to go with some proprietary, super-slim hybrid hard drive. It's about 2 or 3 millimeters thinner than a standard laptop drive, so a regular hard drive won't fit into the slim chassis. :cripes: Most places nearby that sell hard drives don't sell the super slim ones like this ultrabook has, so we ended up setting up 2 external USB docks, putting the bad drive and a spare drive in each, and doing a decryption so that the data would be recovered and sent from the old drive to the new one. Ended up taking almost 4 hours to complete, thankfully the ultrabook is under warranty but the earliest we can get a drive is this coming Wednesday or Thursday.

And all because a bonehead user couldn't watch what he was doing and knocked it off his desk when he tripped over the power cord.

Ha, it's funny that someone was mentioning exactly this problem in the SSD thread, trying to find something that would fit. Unless that user was you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Collateral Damage posted:

That said, I can't really grasp that nobody figured out magnetic connectors before 2006.

They did, but they were not very reliable. Additionally through a lot of the 90s and even into the early 2000s there was still the issue of floppies to deal with, and you certainly didn't want to be the company whose laptop power cords could wipe out important disks.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
A ticket came in... physician's assistant sent an email with a patient's full history and treatment plan to the helpdesk email for some reason. She also sent it to her home email, so she can "work on it from home". Our lawyer is less than pleased.

Also got to fill out an event report on it. Whee.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

blackswordca posted:

Added comedy. The intranet provider didn't setup routes with two of the sites so these sites are completely offline until this gets fixed. It took them almost a month to generate the routes in the first place, so this may get ugly.

I look forward to hearing how this is your fault.

Collateral Damage posted:

Not to start an argument, but I loving hated touchpads until I got a macbook. Their touchpads are amazing.

Agreed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Caged posted:

At least show up drunk to make it bearable

He would get promoted.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It really is the only thing worth a poo poo on an Apple laptop.

Also the trackpads. They're godlike. I've never seen a Windows machine with a good trackpad. I've found some that were usable, but never a good one.

Edit: didn't realize there was a new page and this was already mentioned!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

An unhelpful webchat came in ......

So dell appear to have completely removed the ability to customise optiplex pcs on their UK website. You can no longer change the graphics card, ram or hd :stare:

Used to use that to get an idea of price before hitting up our account manager

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

jre posted:

An unhelpful webchat came in ......

So dell appear to have completely removed the ability to customise optiplex pcs on their UK website. You can no longer change the graphics card, ram or hd :stare:

Used to use that to get an idea of price before hitting up our account manager

I've definitely noticed that over time, Dell's site has got less useful. You can configure things the way you want if you talk to somebody, but what the hell was wrong with the full-fat configurator they used to have?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The full-fat one still exists on a premier account.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HalloKitty posted:

I've definitely noticed that over time, Dell's site has got less useful. You can configure things the way you want if you talk to somebody, but what the hell was wrong with the full-fat configurator they used to have?

Same here. I just ordered an E7240 with 16GB of RAM but like hell I could configure one on the website like that. I had to email our rep to get the config I wanted.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

hihifellow posted:

A ticket came in... physician's assistant sent an email with a patient's full history and treatment plan to the helpdesk email for some reason. She also sent it to her home email, so she can "work on it from home". Our lawyer is less than pleased.

Also got to fill out an event report on it. Whee.

We get pretty stingy on granting this kind of access. They'll argue that their manager said they're supposed to have this access, and we'll argue that it's a security risk to be installing remote access to their work computer on their home computer running XP (which we will not support).

Worse yet, they'll try to send that data to their home e-mail and call us up complaining they can't read it because "it's encrypted or something!". :shepicide:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I've definitely noticed that over time, Dell's site has got less useful.

It took me ten minutes earlier today just to find the link to chat with someone about a toasted motherboard.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Priss In Plate posted:

We get pretty stingy on granting this kind of access. They'll argue that their manager said they're supposed to have this access, and we'll argue that it's a security risk to be installing remote access to their work computer on their home computer running XP (which we will not support).

Worse yet, they'll try to send that data to their home e-mail and call us up complaining they can't read it because "it's encrypted or something!". :shepicide:

So you work in a medical office but you don't have a secure gateway? Even just a super basic web client? :confused: Aren't the fines for HIPAA violation like $500k per?? WOOF

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 4, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't even the most basic hosted email services have a one-click setting for scanning outgoing emails for things that look like personal data?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Caged posted:

Don't even the most basic hosted email services have a one-click setting for scanning outgoing emails for things that look like personal data?

Doesn't even have to be hosted - I'm not certain how it was caught, but someone here got binged for unsecured Protected Healthcare Information when they CC'd an administrator in - at her non-local-network email. (Still within the org, but a location that's still not fully within our network - thus, not our servers.) I'm pretty sure Barracuda caught that one, though.

Of course, my supervisor CC'd the PHI-breach warning (with attached File o' PHI) to everyone on her staff. :rolleyes: Luckily, we're all local - and I figured out what the (unspecified) breach was in about three seconds, so she could maybe avoid that herself.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Caged posted:

Priss In Plate posted:

It's still Not A Thing You Should Do but most orgs looking to not blow their entire revenue on HIPPA fines will at the least encrypt outgoing emails if they get caught containing personal or medical information pertaining to a person, patient or not. Websense does it for us in our case.

Our remote access is terrible too; hopefully it will improve once we move off this old rear end version of citrix of we're running but I'm not involved in that upgrade so who knows :shobon:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A job offer came in...

3 months ago I left my current company. I left behind some co-workers who were seriously overworked - I kept in touch and managed to get a job interview for one of them. It went well and today they offered him the job.

Despite it being a £6k raise for the work he's doing now, and a much quieter environment, he turned it down because of the work he'd have to offload to others :negative: - Perfect "goon in a well" example. He was logged 70 tickets today, his co-worker was logged 60. When the director of the company brought him into the meeting room and begged him to stay last week, he didn't even offer any financial incentive, my friend didn't even negotiate - The director just made a vague promise to look at his salary "when things have calmed down".

He's literally crying every day at work, and isn't allowed to take time off for the next 3 months. And he still turned it down.

Jesus I'm actually really upset.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can't help some people

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

A job offer came in...

3 months ago I left my current company. I left behind some co-workers who were seriously overworked - I kept in touch and managed to get a job interview for one of them. It went well and today they offered him the job.

Despite it being a £6k raise for the work he's doing now, and a much quieter environment, he turned it down because of the work he'd have to offload to others :negative: - Perfect "goon in a well" example. He was logged 70 tickets today, his co-worker was logged 60. When the director of the company brought him into the meeting room and begged him to stay last week, he didn't even offer any financial incentive, my friend didn't even negotiate - The director just made a vague promise to look at his salary "when things have calmed down".

He's literally crying every day at work, and isn't allowed to take time off for the next 3 months. And he still turned it down.

Jesus I'm actually really upset.

Well then, he deserves every bit of it.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Caged posted:

You can't help some people

When I told my boss I was leaving, and for how much they were offering me, he told me how pitifully little the company is paying him. Which is less than what I will be making after less than half a year of experience... He's been working here for two years, and in general IT for a few years longer than that. Some people are comfortable in their rut, even if they like to complain about it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Yeah definitely. I didn't explicitly tell him to take the job, at the end of the day it's his decision. It's just frustrating because I didn't appreciate how poo poo the company was until I took the leap and left. I don't think he will either, and he's too scared to take the leap.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Yeah definitely. I didn't explicitly tell him to take the job, at the end of the day it's his decision. It's just frustrating because I didn't appreciate how poo poo the company was until I took the leap and left. I don't think he will either, and he's too scared to take the leap.
You should tell him to take it.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Roargasm posted:

So you work in a medical office but you don't have a secure gateway? Even just a super basic web client? :confused: Aren't the fines for HIPAA violation like $500k per?? WOOF

They work at a third-party location on the third-party's equipment. Those machines have a mix of both parties apps/software. The third-party's apps can be accessed via their Citrix Secure Gateway page, whereas our Citrix environment won't be out for another few weeks.

Doesn't help that the manager misinterpreted "working from home using Citrix Secure Gateway" as "working from home by connecting to your work computer remotely". :doh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Clients are the loving best.

Last week

Me: "Hey guys I've sorted out your SSL cert for Azure, you should probably be aware that it's a pretty expensive way to host a website though since you need to use a Standard instance for SSL and pay for the connection hours. Also you're still being charged for that duplicate instance that you stopped, you should probably delete it."
Them: "OK, thanks."

This week

Them: "Jesus christ why is Azure costing us £60 a week? All we're doing is hosting a website!"

gently caress sake.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Caged posted:

Clients are the loving best.

Last week

Me: "Hey guys I've sorted out your SSL cert for Azure, you should probably be aware that it's a pretty expensive way to host a website though since you need to use a Standard instance for SSL and pay for the connection hours. Also you're still being charged for that duplicate instance that you stopped, you should probably delete it."
Them: "OK, thanks."

This week

Them: "Jesus christ why is Azure costing us £60 a week? All we're doing is hosting a website!"

gently caress sake.

I'm going to take a wild stab at what your client actually saw when they read your first email.

quote:

Hey guys I've sorted out your SSL certBZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZ Z ZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZ Z BZZZZZ NNNZZZZZ ZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You tripped a circuit breaker in their brain when you tried running more than a single amp's worth of technical terminology through the circuit. I mean, an abbreviation AND an acronym back to back? What were you thinking?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
An entitled user came in....

A sister site had a director come in and grill the IT department in the name of improving things. She demanded a meeting with everyone who is even a little bit associated with the place, including people who are normally entirely offsite.

She is not affiliated with IT in any way. She is medical staff I think. Yet she thinks she has a right to pull everyone away from their work, interrogate them, and then demand things be done a certain way and have some time wasting rounding done.

And our management loving let them do it. If I was in management, I would have told her to stop talking to my people that way and to take up her concerns with me. That's what management is for.

I am really getting tired of users dictating how we work. Other teams get it even worse than us because clients have constantly changing and arbitrary "needs". Someone needs help a half hour after the last one of their team leaves? Move up their shift right now! People have been known to complain about our lunch hours and the fact we eat together. Why do these people care?.

If I went all up in their department and demanded things be done to my liking and maximize their availability to IT so we can close their ticket, we'd probably get fired and even lose the contract. But because they're the client they can demand whatever they want (without adjustment to the SLA or compensation to corporate) and that's ok, even if these people have nothing to do with it and think they can just because they manage some random department.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Jesus, after a couple years of reading these threads, I am never working anywhere that has anything to do with the medical field. I don't think a single post about those jobs has described anything less than a horror show full of entitled, holier-than-thou shitheads coddled by spineless management.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If anyone here doesnt handle incoming equipment: Sonicwall belongs to Dell now, and thats reflected by the packaging. I was looking quite a while for a Sonicwall box in our storage, but all I could find was Dell. Then my boss remembered that they sold.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Che Delilas posted:

Jesus, after a couple years of reading these threads, I am never working anywhere that has anything to do with the medical field. I don't think a single post about those jobs has described anything less than a horror show full of entitled, holier-than-thou shitheads coddled by spineless management.

Butbutbut . . . don't you understand? These are Doctors who Save Lives and are Very Important People. They don't have time to waste on your excuses like "I need you to tell me what the problem is", "That's a HIPAA violation", or "The laws of physics don't permit that". Just fix it (even if you have no idea what "it" is) and stop wasting their Valuable Time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

skooma512 posted:

And our management loving let them do it. If I was in management, I would have told her to stop talking to my people that way and to take up her concerns with me. That's what management is for.

I am really getting tired of users dictating how we work. Other teams get it even worse than us because clients have constantly changing and arbitrary "needs". Someone needs help a half hour after the last one of their team leaves? Move up their shift right now! People have been known to complain about our lunch hours and the fact we eat together. Why do these people care?.
I had a great manager a couple of years ago who explictly stated that his most important task was being a bouncer for the IT dept and shield us from the stupidity of users and other managers.

We've had the lunch complaint at my current job too, and our response was a heartfelt gently caress You. We all have extension mobility and cell phones. If poo poo's on fire you can call the helpdesk number, but if it's not a business critical issue you can wait until our legally mandated lunch hour is over.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
An even worse confluence of shitheadedness is found at medical schools. Tenured faculty who are also doctors. They're completely insufferable. Thank God I work on the academic campus supporting administrative units now.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

We once had a user accidentally send some personal medical information to all of the institution using a listserv address that should've been retired. Her solution was that we disable all email to keep people from reading it until we'd gone through every account and deleted the email. After we said we can't do that, she sent several more emails blaming Outlook and actually used the line "More like LOOKOUT!"

Edit: After working at an ISP in NY for about a year and a half, med/education IT is like a dream.

rock2much fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 4, 2014

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kreeblah posted:

Butbutbut . . . don't you understand? These are Doctors who Save Lives and are Very Important People. They don't have time to waste on your excuses like "I need you to tell me what the problem is", "That's a HIPAA violation", or "The laws of physics don't permit that". Just fix it (even if you have no idea what "it" is) and stop wasting their Valuable Time.

A user was convinced we broke his laptop by installing Office 2011 on it. The power button did nothing. Because if it can withstand all the dropping and spilling of coffee on it, the problem must be that we installed Office.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got ~80 iPhone 5's in today. Apparently Verizon offered us a deal, free iPhone 5s for each employee that still has an iPhone 4. I didn't know this until they showed up on my desk. Weeee

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So what are you going to do with 80 iPhone 4s? Expensive dominoes?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look at this guy who thinks you can get company property back from people it's been assigned to.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

The Cubelodyte posted:

An even worse confluence of shitheadedness is found at medical schools. Tenured faculty who are also doctors. They're completely insufferable. Thank God I work on the academic campus supporting administrative units now.

Yup. Just had a doctor whine at me because he reached a voicemail that was full.

:downs: This is unacceptable! Do I have to call $ITmanager myself?
:v: I can put a ticket in for you :confused:

Today's personal favorite though

"Hey, did they call you about the printer yet?"

Considering I handle multiple buildings and printers within your organization, yes, I know about 1 ticket someone may or may not have called in. :thumbsup:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Caged posted:

Look at this guy who thinks you can get company property back from people it's been assigned to.
Well, the iPhone 5 is only for those people who return their iPhone 4...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with mobile devices.

I do, however, have to deal with a ridiculously incompetent helpdesk guy that my boss hasn't let me get rid of. It's one comedy of errors after another.

Yesterday I asked him to simply copy some recently fired employees' profiles off their hard drives to a file share before we reimage the computers. Instead of just copying/pasting Desktop, My Docs, Downloads, etc, he actually started reorganizing all of the files by file type and created a new file structure. Excel Files, Word Files, Visio Files. Who the gently caress does that?

That's relatively harmless other than wasted time. The other highlights in the past week include physically breaking a desk while trying to adjust the height after I specifically instructed him to not attempt it, coming dangerously close to patching production customer servers in our hosted environment along with our internal servers, and I discovered that he botched the config on our environmental temp/humidity monitor and it hasn't been working for the past 2+ months. It still isn't working correctly, since after I told him to fix it he put the temperature alert threshold at 90 degrees.

It's depressing this guy has a job.

• Locked thread