Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

mikey posted:

Is it the speed/sig ratio, or what? It can obviously fit far more shield transfers and do cap chains, and used to be pretty good after the first logi rebalance.
Slower, larger sig, giant em hole are some reasons why the basi is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Glory of Arioch posted:

Since when has competence ever been a factor for our illustrious space organization?

He doesn't care about whether they fit into GS or are in it only whether they can actually say something vaguely informed about EVE.

He also isn't a member of your illustrious space organization.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

ullerrm posted:

"Toon" is the most stupid digression ever. (Really, the last three pages make me want to burn this thread.)

It's not a question of whether or not they know the game, but rather how socially insufferable they are. The many '-ies' abbreviations are a red flag for the worst of Eve/MMO pubbie vernacular pollution. If someone is saying 'toon', there's a high chance they hold all manner of stupid cultural or social ideas inherited from the many terrible, toxic pubbie MMO communities.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

mikey posted:

It's not a question of whether or not they know the game, but rather how socially insufferable they are. The many '-ies' abbreviations are a red flag for the worst of Eve/MMO pubbie vernacular pollution. If someone is saying 'toon', there's a high chance they hold all manner of stupid cultural or social ideas inherited from the many terrible, toxic pubbie MMO communities.

I too hate pubbies who use -ies abbreviations

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

mikey posted:

Is it the speed/sig ratio, or what? It can obviously fit far more shield transfers and do cap chains, and used to be pretty good after the first logi rebalance.

The issue with the Basilisk isn't that it can do cap chains, but that it must do cap chains. Cap chains are generally considered a weakness at fleet sizes above 30.

On top of that, the Basilisk is particularly weak where cap chains are concerned: it needs two cap transfers incoming in order to maintain constant tank and reps, compared to a Guardian which is cap stable off a single transfer incoming.

Next, the resist profile sucks balls. Scimitar has fairly even base resists by default (75/60/40/50) and just needs invulns to get good resists. Basilisk, on the other hand, has two strong resists and one big honking hole (0/80/70/50), so it needs an EM hardener (or rigs) in addition to the invulns.

Next, the Basi has a signature radius that's 40% larger than the Scimi.

Next, the Basi is 210m/s slower than the Scimi under AB.

Next, the Basi has a lower scan resolution than the Scimi; it can lock farther, but it locks slower. (And you don't really care about locking out past 80km, since you can only rep out to 71km anyways.)

The Basi is the hilarious, terrible, awful joke of logistics. There is only one situation in this game where an appropriately fitted Scimitar doesn't outperform the Basi: incursion running.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

mikey posted:

God knows that Goons are a bastion of culture and civility in these dark days.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

mikey posted:

You have ENLI and WIDOT in your forums and mumble. You're already swimming in toxic waste. Goons stopped being a cultural bastion years ago.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ullerrm posted:

The Basi is the hilarious, terrible, awful joke of logistics. There is only one situation in this game where an appropriately fitted Scimitar doesn't outperform the Basi: incursion running.

The MWD basi could actually rep more than the mwd scimi that was used for drakefleet if I remember correctly, but nobody flew them anyways

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

padijun posted:

e: serious question: how long does an ESS stay up? And is the bonus determined by how long it's been up total or the times since it's been cached out?
AFAIK the ESS should stay anchored forever. Possibly they despawn after 30 days of no interaction like the mobile depot, but that was never said anywhere so I think not. They're limited to 1/system so CCP doesn't have to worry about clogging up their database.

The bonus goes up for every rat killed in the system, then resets back to the start when it's shared / stolen. So nothing to do with total time anchored or number of times used.

mikey posted:

The sig is the worst for logis, but not by that much. It's mostly the awful speed when AB fit and the terrible resist profile of T2 caldari ships.

If you fit 4 rep / 2 cap xfer it doesn't gain much rep power over a scimitar. But the 5 rep / 1 cap requires pretty good skills and is horribly vulnerable to jams. Basically the areas it's better are not worth the bad stuff.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 4, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

The MWD basi could actually rep more than the mwd scimi that was used for drakefleet if I remember correctly, but nobody flew them anyways

This is correct -- an MWD Scimi can only fit three large reps, compared to the Basi's four. (Or, alternately, two large and two A-type mediums, which puts you at roughly 3.75 reps, with the med reps having >60km range. But the expense, and added challenge in cap management, means that very few people fly that.)

However, the downsides of the Basilisk are so severe that it is almost always easier to just bring a few more MWD Scimitars than it is to set up a capchain for MWD Basilisks.

As it is, Basilisks only make sense for incursion running because of its two unique constraints:
* The payout is scaled to the number of people in the site, which strongly encourages smaller fleets.
* There's a huge amount of neuting NPCs.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
e: never mind

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ullerrm posted:

"Toon" is the most stupid digression ever. (Really, the last three pages make me want to burn this thread.)

When I want to know if someone is actually competent at Eve, I'm going to ask them practical questions about Eve. Ditto for any other MMO.

For example, if you can tell me what Damage Reduction Factor is and how it affects missile damage mechanics, without Googling it -- then I'm going to conclude that you probably know your poo poo about Eve, and from that point on I'm going to pay attention to what you say, regardless of whether you use "toon" or not. You've already established your intelligence at that point. Similar tests:

* How do you recoup your escrow costs when performing a margin trading scam?
* What's the process for calculating how many bombs you need to launch to kill a fleet of X?
* A ship has A/B/C/D base resists. I fit a DC, an EANM, and an armor hardener to it. How do I compute the final resists without using EFT?
* You're being orbited by a frigate with top speed X and inertia Y. You have top speed X2 and inertia Y2. Can you juke the tackle by overheating your MWD, yes/no?

By obsessing over "toon" as if it's some sort of shibboleth for intelligence/non-intelligence, you have performed a considerably more goony reinvention of "the narwhal bacons at midnight" -- and you deserve what you get.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel pretty good not knowing the answer to any of those. As someone else pointed out, it has nothing to do with how much knowledge the person has of the game, and everything to do with how likely it is that they are absolutely insufferable to talk to, considering that's a large part of eve.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ullerrm posted:

This is correct -- an MWD Scimi can only fit three large reps, compared to the Basi's four. (Or, alternately, two large and two A-type mediums, which puts you at roughly 3.75 reps, with the med reps having >60km range. But the expense, and added challenge in cap management, means that very few people fly that.)

However, the downsides of the Basilisk are so severe that it is almost always easier to just bring a few more MWD Scimitars than it is to set up a capchain for MWD Basilisks.

As it is, Basilisks only make sense for incursion running because of its two unique constraints:
* The payout is scaled to the number of people in the site, which strongly encourages smaller fleets.
* There's a huge amount of neuting NPCs.

You can also prelock everyone else in a vanguard group :haw:

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
Yeah, now that I'm trying to fit a Basi, I can see how bad it is. The Scim has almost twice the speed/sig ratio.

Conskill posted:

God knows that Goons are a bastion of culture and civility in these dark days.

ullerrm posted:

You have ENLI and WIDOT in your forums and mumble. You're already swimming in toxic waste. Goons stopped being a cultural bastion years ago.

I'm not in GS right now. :shrug:

If it's really that bad, then all the more reason to re-educate or mock the people who do it in this thread.

(Also, if it is really that bad, when can we expect the inevitable :commissar: of the most terrible CFC alliances now that the war is over?)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The T1 Gallente logi cruiser is still popular, then?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Stealth Like posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel pretty good not knowing the answer to any of those.

You can speak for me. ullerrm must be destroyed. Like Braniac, he clearly wants to absorb all knowledge about EVE and EVE culture so he can annihilate them.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ullerrm posted:

For example, if you can tell me what Damage Reduction Factor is and how it affects missile damage mechanics, without Googling it -- then I'm going to conclude that you probably know your poo poo about Eve, and from that point on I'm going to pay attention to what you say, regardless of whether you use "toon" or not. You've already established your intelligence at that point. Similar tests:

* What's the process for calculating how many bombs you need to launch to kill a fleet of X?
* A ship has A/B/C/D base resists. I fit a DC, an EANM, and an armor hardener to it. How do I compute the final resists without using EFT?
* You're being orbited by a frigate with top speed X and inertia Y. You have top speed X2 and inertia Y2. Can you juke the tackle by overheating your MWD, yes/no?

I really don't like any of your questions because they are basically different variations of "Are you good at math?" which is fine if you want to "Theorycraft" playing the game. If I was going to build an interview based on actual "I'm decent at playing the game" knowledge I'd start throwing fits at people and ask them what that particular ship is good at and how they would fly them.

For instance if I handed someone a kiting Vaga/Cyna setup and they said "I'd get to the guns optimal" I'd know they were probably an idiot.

I'd ask them about bubble mechanics, I'd ask them to define delay bubble. I'd ask them how to stop a gang from bouncing back and killing you while you snip their tail off and kill a few of their stragglers. I'd ask them about dscan mechanics. Hell I'd probably try and get them to decloak me a few times.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Mr. Jive posted:

You can speak for me. ullerrm must be destroyed. Like Braniac, he clearly wants to absorb all knowledge about EVE and EVE culture so he can annihilate them.

I was thinking more along the lines of M.O.D.O.T. (Mental Organism Designed Only for Theorycrafting)

Rhymenoserous posted:

I really don't like any of your questions because they are basically different variations of "Are you good at math?" which is fine if you want to "Theorycraft" playing the game. If I was going to build an interview based on actual "I'm decent at playing the game" knowledge I'd start throwing fits at people and ask them what that particular ship is good at and how they would fly them.

For instance if I handed someone a kiting Vaga/Cyna setup and they said "I'd get to the guns optimal" I'd know they were probably an idiot.

I'd ask them about bubble mechanics, I'd ask them to define delay bubble. I'd ask them how to stop a gang from bouncing back and killing you while you snip their tail off and kill a few of their stragglers. I'd ask them about dscan mechanics. Hell I'd probably try and get them to decloak me a few times.

I concur completely. Fitting is very important, but you only need a few people in your group to be good at fitting. All of the people in your group should be good at actually using and exploiting game mechanics to their advantage in practical situations.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

mikey posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of M.O.D.O.T. (Mental Organism Designed Only for Theorycrafting)

Yeah, well, somebody's gotta post that poo poo. Otherwise, this thread would devolve into "yeah, it's totally awesome being dumb as rocks. Also, dear mynnna, please continue to perform your market black wizardry so that we can still have SRP for the doctrines that our FCs have told us to fly for some reason."

fakeedit: Also, Rhymenoserous has pretty much done the only good critique of my post thus far, and you should all read it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

mikey posted:

(Also, if it is really that bad, when can we expect the inevitable :commissar: of the most terrible CFC alliances now that the war is over?)

The problem is that GSF might be the most terrible alliance in the CFC.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

ullerrm posted:

Yeah, well, somebody's gotta post that poo poo. Otherwise, this thread would devolve into "yeah, it's totally awesome being dumb as rocks. Also, dear mynnna, please continue to perform your market black wizardry so that we can still have SRP for the doctrines that our FCs have told us to fly for some reason."

fakeedit: Also, Rhymenoserous has pretty much done the only good critique of my post thus far, and you should all read it.

You're overreacting, here. Nobody was really calling you out (the last few posts were clearly in jest), and very few of the regular posters in this thread are dumb or reliant on others' understand of the game.

I realize there's a tendency for GSF culture to push people to not take the game too seriously or learn too much about it and just follow orders, but that's more a consequence of the reality of running a huge coalition full of casual players: most people will never put enough thought into the game to 'get' it on that level, so you make a joke of it to insure that the stupids don't think they know more than they actually do and gently caress things up. DBRB clearly slipped through the cracks somehow, though.

smg77 posted:

The problem is that GSF might be the most terrible alliance in the CFC.

If it's not Goonwaffe, then purge the terrible corps. If it is Goonwaffe, then... ElitistOps was right?!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

mikey posted:

If it's not Goonwaffe, then purge the terrible corps. If it is Goonwaffe, then... ElitistOps was right?!

Goonwaffe has terrible participation compared to most of our pubcorps. But then we were getting only slightly over/under reimbursed for losses... and thats about it. Meanwhile most of the pubcorps had everything from Plex for top killers/Top FCs on top of double reimbursement. I find it odd that this seems to have been a surprise to Mittens because I've known about it for years.

I expect participation will be better now that you'll make money if you die. Or we could just be worthless v:v:v

EDIT: Not that we could ever be the worst as long as SMA, FA, FCON, etc are still around.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Internet shorthand is killing Eve. I always do my in-game communication in classical Shakespearian English.

quote:

Aid me, brethren! I have been accosted amongst the stellar islands of veldspar and crokite!

Bagu
Mar 20, 2006

ullerrm posted:

This would totally make sense if we let Widot and ENLI into Waffe. Individual corps and alliances are allowed to have different standard than Waffe. If they get too insufferable, (like Mordus) we can purge them. But yes, individual corps in the CFC are allowed to have standards, despite others not.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Stealth Like posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel pretty good not knowing the answer to any of those. As someone else pointed out, it has nothing to do with how much knowledge the person has of the game, and everything to do with how likely it is that they are absolutely insufferable to talk to, considering that's a large part of eve.

Also known as the TrevorReznick clause. No matter how encyclopedic your knowledge of [subject], if you're an insufferable oval office, no one's going to want to play with you.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Goonwaffe has terrible participation compared to most of our pubcorps. But then we were getting only slightly over/under reimbursed for losses... and thats about it. Meanwhile most of the pubcorps had everything from Plex for top killers/Top FCs on top of double reimbursement. I find it odd that this seems to have been a surprise to Mittens because I've known about it for years.

I expect participation will be better now that you'll make money if you die. Or we could just be worthless v:v:v

EDIT: Not that we could ever be the worst as long as SMA, FA, FCON, etc are still around.

I know that I'll turn up to things more once I have a briefcase Archon. Moving ships to various staging systems sucks, despite usually good JF services (and I hate repackaging and losing all my rigs).

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

koreban posted:

Also known as the TrevorReznick clause. No matter how encyclopedic your knowledge of [subject], if you're an insufferable oval office, no one's going to want to play with you.

Obligatory kick MERCHI is needed here.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
loving socket closures. I dodged the bullet all weekend and then got hit by two in a row just now. Looks like I'm done for the night.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ullerrm posted:

That makes it more important, not less.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Well. MOA covert hotdropped a dread.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=22272856

Ahaha in QPO no less.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Well. MOA covert hotdropped a dread.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=22272856

Ahaha in QPO no less.

How the gently caress are we feeding kills to MOA? :cripes:

Pikag
Jun 5, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

Warped off station when CCP closed a bunch of sockets

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

We're not exactly the bastion of intelligence, also that was a GENTS membercorp anyways.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Artificer posted:

The T1 Gallente logi cruiser is still popular, then?

It seems pretty good. GSF probably has their own reimbursement fits, but it isn't terribly difficult to find a good, cheap T1/meta fit:
code:
[Exequror, Remote Rep T1]
F85 Peripheral Damage System I
800mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Prototype Armor Explosive Hardener I
Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I

Experimental 10MN Afterburner I
F-b10 Nominal Capacitor Regenerator

Medium 'Arup' Remote Armor Repairer

Medium Armor Maintenance Bot I x5
23k EHP w/ 65% resists, cap stable with Gallente Cruiser IV and Remote Armor Repair IV, reps 450hp/s at 60km (Repair Drone Op IV), and costs like 10m isk. If your cap skills are still at IV (or remote rep at III), substitute the exp hardener for another CPR and add an explosive rig or two. Pretty much everything can be upgraded to T2 for more tank/speed/rep while maintaining about the same cap generation:consumption ratio.

Pikag posted:

Surely they're reimbursing these socket disconnect deaths?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

mikey posted:

Surely they're reimbursing these socket disconnect deaths?

According to posts in eve-o GMs are sending back canned "it is your hardware or your ISP" for tickets related to socket closures.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ullerrm posted:

We get it, you're a beep boop math autist. Doesn't mean dudes aren't going to get told to gently caress off for saying things we don't like, especially when they're already really bad posters. Your priorities are not the same as everyone elses.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

They've been in pure blind for probably 7 years now. Through all the NC and Tri and DekCo and CFC bullshit. They're horrible idiots but they've spent a lot of time and lost a lot of bombers over the years playing with that same tactic. Eventually they'll get lucky.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pikag posted:

Ah. So I guess congrats to MOA then, that was your :ccp: time to shine.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ullerrm posted:

When I want to know if someone is actually competent at Eve, I'm going to ask them practical questions about Eve. Ditto for any other MMO.

By obsessing over "toon" as if it's some sort of shibboleth for intelligence/non-intelligence, you have performed a considerably more goony reinvention of "the narwhal bacons at midnight" -- and you deserve what you get.

Using the word "toon" or any other devolved word from eve indicates that someone either has failed to learn basic social conventions that exist within "Eve goon culture", or is aware of it and has explicitly chosen to ignore it. The first demonstrates that the individual likely has other things they have picked up from the general eve player base, which at least to me is cause for suspicion. The second case is either trolling, social ineptness, or both. Not to mention, the specific example you chose to compare this behavior with is one that was invented arbitrarily and is used for no other reason than people know it, so I don't even know what you're trying to demonstrate there other than "people use things to identify others and sometimes this is dumb".

The ability to produce information off the top of your head neither indicates someones ability to interpret that information into something meaningful, nor does it make their interactions with anyone else intrinsically valuable. Gevlon Goblin is an exceptional example of this: certainly, he can produce tremendous amounts of data, and probably knows a great deal about how to make isk in eve, but does make most of what he says any less ridiculous? Of course not. If anything, spouting off about obscure numbers in eve constantly is probably also better evidence that someone doesn't really know how to play the game, or at least spends far less time playing it than theorycrafting about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Eve Online: Long Paragraphs about the Proper Use of "Toon"

• Locked thread