Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bongo Bill posted:

Lots of people could not stand the way the DS Dragon Quest localizations used accents all over the place. They are wrong, but I fear they outnumber us, so we've got to stick together.

DQ4's accents were horrific and anyone who thought that was a good translation is a bad person, I'll take some thou and thee usage over that mess any day. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Dragon Quest's use of accents and puns in the English versions actually give character that just isn't present in other games translated from Japanese. No one cares what the original Japanese says since most of us over here can't speak it. DQ4-DS may have pushed the upper limit, but DQ8 was the shining example of having it done right. (Yangus :allears: )

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, DQ8's translation (and the whole game, really) was absolutely stellar. It's hard to argue that accents are a bad idea with Journey of the Cursed King out there proving otherwise. They can be done poorly, but so can any other kind of translation.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Crimson Harvest posted:

The 1.1 translation patch by DQ Translations: http://www.dqtranslations.com/projects/dragon-quest-3-remix-snes-translation-project

Also why would I play it emulated on a PSP (where SNES emulation is kind of bad)?

I didn't encounter too many freezes on the PSP, maybe 1 every 6 hours at most. Maybe you just got unlucky?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Camel Pimp posted:

Am I the only one who found some characters in 4 hard to understand? For the most part I don't mind the silly stuff they put in the translation, but I can understand why people dislike the accents. Aside from 4 I don't have problem understanding the accents, but sometimes they do waaaay overboard (Sancho, anyone?)

4 was definitely the worst, but I think the Jonah storyarc in 9 deserves an honorable mention too. When I was playing that part I kept thinking about how lovely that part must be for younger audiences because of how thick it was.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
4s problem was that it wasn't a new game. I didn't grow up with Ragnar being Scottish or whatever when I owned it a a kid (in English), so when it came out again I got it in Japanese.

People hate Sandy's accent in DQ9 in Japanese, but I didn't mind it at all because I don't deal with that every day.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Speaking of DQ8, is there any news on the iOS version coming to the West? I'm curious about it- can't see myself playing it for long, but really want it nonetheless.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^ I hope it comes over here, but the DQM games don't seem to catch on anywhere close to the degree Pokemon does. It's a shame because DQM Joker was fun on the DS and really only lost its luster with the usual horrifically tedious post game grinding. DQ9's really bad for it too but I managed to snag the map with the metal king floor in it, and I imagine that saved me dozens if not hundreds of hours of potential grinding.

It takes like 10 min to get a monster to level 100 in this iteration if you know what you are doing, so no grind there. I guess the most grindy part is gaining the materials you need to upgrade your weapons to the fullest, and getting 3 star weapons from randomized keys (number of star corresponds to how many times you can upgrade it). Once you've actually created maps for all the mats you need and all the 3 star weapons, it gets easier.

Arcaeris posted:

I'm ordering it soon, but reviews say you need to use Streetpass or whatever to interact with other 3DSs to get keys to other worlds. Lame.

You can make your own keys, but beating someone in a street pass battle also gives you whatever key they have selected to distribute, and most of my best keys are ones i've gotten from other people. I was annoyed by not having people to street pass at first, until I figured out that you can street pass people randomly through ranked and unranked (free) wi-fi battles. The only way foreigners are limited right now is that we can't get the Nintendo Zone exclusive monsters, which will probably be added as wi-fi gift maps later on. The monsters themselves are kinda lackluster, but they have some of the best SP rank general skills in the game, which is frustrating when trying to make top 100 in the GPs or compete at high-end ranked.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I bought DQ9 for cheap on Amazon ages ago and forgot I had it, and with the news of the recent shutdown of the Wii/DS Wifi service, I wonder if I should finally start to play it and get the DLC (if you still can that is).

Is it worth getting? Assuming it's still available. I'm not a completionist at all at, near the end of a long RPG I usually lose patience and just want to finish the main story, but if there are some funny quests it might be nice to have it.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
DQ9 is excellent. It's a very modern take on DQ3. All the multiplayer and online and postgame stuff is completely optional. The online store had occasional deals back when the game launched but it quickly became a place for fluff. And you might not even enjoy the postgame; it depends on your tolerance for running lots of randomly generated dungeons. So yeah, get DQ9, don't sweat the extraneous parts.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Draile posted:

DQ9 is excellent. It's a very modern take on DQ3. All the multiplayer and online and postgame stuff is completely optional. The online store had occasional deals back when the game launched but it quickly became a place for fluff. And you might not even enjoy the postgame; it depends on your tolerance for running lots of randomly generated dungeons. So yeah, get DQ9, don't sweat the extraneous parts.

Good to hear, thanks. Funny enough I think the last classic DQ RPG I played was DQ3 for the Gameboy Color forever ago, the last DQ branded game was Rocket Slime. I wish they'd release another one of those here :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

PlushCow posted:

Good to hear, thanks. Funny enough I think the last classic DQ RPG I played was DQ3 for the Gameboy Color forever ago, the last DQ branded game was Rocket Slime. I wish they'd release another one of those here :(

DQ9 is DQ3 with modern graphics, almost straight up. I feel like I got lost somewhere along the way in the numbered series because 5-8 were just not my thing, then 9 comes out and it's the sort of classic DQ that I felt the series had drifted away from.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I think the similarities between DQ3 and DQ9 are overstated. They've both got a class system and characters that you create yourself, that's about the only thing they have in common besides being Dragon Quest games. DQ9 was intended to be a pretty big departure from the series formula, they scaled back some of the changes (like turning it into a real-time ARPG) but it's still quite a bit different from the rest of the series.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

I think the similarities between DQ3 and DQ9 are overstated. They've both got a class system and characters that you create yourself, that's about the only thing they have in common besides being Dragon Quest games. DQ9 was intended to be a pretty big departure from the series formula, they scaled back some of the changes (like turning it into a real-time ARPG) but it's still quite a bit different from the rest of the series.

If it had ended up a realtime ARPG like early previews suggested, it would've still been rad. As it is, I don't see what you think is wildly dissimilar between DQ3 and DQ9.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Potsticker posted:

If it had ended up a realtime ARPG like early previews suggested, it would've still been rad. As it is, I don't see what you think is wildly dissimilar between DQ3 and DQ9.

Dragon Quest 9 is basically Dragon Quest 3, in that every Dragon Quest game is basically Dragon Quest 3.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Exactly, DQ9 is similar to DQ3 in the same respect that every other Dragon Quest is. It's got a class system but that class system is wildly different from the one in DQ3 anyway. DQ9 is by far the biggest departure from the rest of the series, so I'm not sure what you meant by saying it's more like classic Dragon Quest than 5-8, because 5-8 have a hell of a lot more in common with the NES games than DQ9 does.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

Exactly, DQ9 is similar to DQ3 in the same respect that every other Dragon Quest is. It's got a class system but that class system is wildly different from the one in DQ3 anyway. DQ9 is by far the biggest departure from the rest of the series, so I'm not sure what you meant by saying it's more like classic Dragon Quest than 5-8, because 5-8 have a hell of a lot more in common with the NES games than DQ9 does.

Like what? I am so confused by your position that unless you give specifics other than "it's different," I can't even begin to understand your stance.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
My favorite part of DQ9 is that the plot doesn't even try to explain why there's a party and it only works if the hero is alone the whole game.

So basically DQ9 is Dq1.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mister Roboto posted:

My favorite part of DQ9 is that the plot doesn't even try to explain why there's a party and it only works if the hero is alone the whole game.

So basically DQ9 is Dq1.

It totally does though. They're totally other versions of the Hero along for the ride. :colbert:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dr Pepper posted:

It totally does though. They're totally other versions of the Hero along for the ride. :colbert:

A game where all of your teammates are actually alternate versions of you is actually an interesting concept.

DQ9 missed a great chance.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Like what? I am so confused by your position that unless you give specifics other than "it's different," I can't even begin to understand your stance.

Dragon Quest 5 is basically exactly an NES DQ game. Dragon Quest 6 is an NES DQ game with SNES level graphics. Dragon Quest 7 had the gimmick with the tablets, but other than that it was basically the same game as the rest. DQ8 was really the first one that drifted away from the formula at all, but the only big changes were the graphics and the improved interface.

In DQ9, they removed random battles which is by far the biggest change ever made to the series. They also added an absolutely massive post-game that is unlikely anything in any DQ game before it. They added quests and quest rewards. It's been a while since I played but there were lots of little changes like that.

I'm not really saying that DQ9 isn't similar to the rest of the series, it's just your claim that 5-8 drifted from the formula and 9 brought it back that I'm not getting. What aspects of 5-8 were drifting away from the NES games and what did 9 do that made it more like those?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

Dragon Quest 5 is basically exactly an NES DQ game. Dragon Quest 6 is an NES DQ game with SNES level graphics. Dragon Quest 7 had the gimmick with the tablets, but other than that it was basically the same game as the rest. DQ8 was really the first one that drifted away from the formula at all, but the only big changes were the graphics and the improved interface.

In DQ9, they removed random battles which is by far the biggest change ever made to the series. They also added an absolutely massive post-game that is unlikely anything in any DQ game before it. They added quests and quest rewards. It's been a while since I played but there were lots of little changes like that.

I'm not really saying that DQ9 isn't similar to the rest of the series, it's just your claim that 5-8 drifted from the formula and 9 brought it back that I'm not getting. What aspects of 5-8 were drifting away from the NES games and what did 9 do that made it more like those?

I think you misinterpreted something I said and that's why we're talking past each other, because I'm pretty sure I never said that the series drifted at all. I said that I drifted from the series, maybe? In any case, the big difference for me is that 4 -> 8 were all much more focused on the story with a set of characters that told that story. Which is similar to how 2 did it as well. They are much less like the early Ultima games and are a lot more of the modern milieu of JRPG. You're experiencing a story told to you rather than making characters and going out and experiencing the world.

EDIT: Found where I said it. The drift I was speaking of there was the focus on premade characters and story.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I see what you're getting at. DQ3 and DQ9 do resemble old PC RPGs in that you design a party that is basically silent and doesn't really interact with the world at all outside of the player's actions. I don't mind having party members who have a bit more personality but I also enjoyed creating my own DQ3 party and naming them after my friends so I get the appeal of that. And then you don't have to worry about being stuck with any extremely irritating and poorly written party members for the entire game, like you do in basically every Final Fantasy game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mister Roboto posted:

A game where all of your teammates are actually alternate versions of you is actually an interesting concept.

I mean that's pretty much what happens in multiplayer.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Adam Bowen posted:

In DQ9, they removed random battles which is by far the biggest change ever made to the series.

As a note, that change continues, as it's in the remake of DQ7, DQX, and all the DQ Monsters now.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Arcaeris posted:

As a note, that change continues, as it's in the remake of DQ7, DQX, and all the DQ Monsters now.

Which is fine since random encounters are about 2 console generations old by now.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Let's talk order of best to worst

III - The classic, series-off-the-ground quintessential Dragon Quest
IX - Good fusion of classic Dragon Quest job system with poor DQ8 system fixed it's problems, modernized w/ download content and loads of endgame stuff (for now)
VII - Better version of DQ6, 3DS remake gets rid of kinks w/ pieces and adds more content
VI - Most grindy DQ, turning point between old DQ and modern DQ
IV - More story driven DQ, low due to losing out the nostalgia battle (NES 4 had crippling AI problems, so it loses out to NES 3)
VIII - Modernized DQ aesthetically, but job system was kicked back several pegs and felt too much like old DQ
V - A combination of DQ3 and 4, didn't really add much to the series
I - Dated classic
II - Taking the first game and making it more complex, difficulty issues, etc

Disagreements? All versions are considered to be their respective remakes, which are all better than the originals.

Edit: I should list reasons

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 3, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really haven't played enough (IV-VI, VIII-IX) to warrant making a list but I have to believe V is way too low there. It's easily my favorite. On the other end of the spectrum if I'm honest the DQ I enjoyed the least was IX, but that was mostly because I completely misunderstood the class system.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Really? 5 is my personal favorite, from the monster taming to the coming of age story of childhood through to fatherhood.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Really? 5 is my personal favorite, from the monster taming to the coming of age story of childhood through to fatherhood.

It was let down by only having three party members in battle in the SNES version, but that was changed to four in the remakes. They also added far more monsters to catch.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

5's also my favorite due to the story, and Pierre the slime knight. :buddy:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Potsticker posted:

DQ9 is DQ3 with modern graphics, almost straight up. I feel like I got lost somewhere along the way in the numbered series because 5-8 were just not my thing, then 9 comes out and it's the sort of classic DQ that I felt the series had drifted away from.

You really need to go play DQ6. If there's a successor to DQ3's layout (and class system) it's DQ6. DQ7 goes a bit too far with class complexities but its still is also pretty nice.

Alternately, play the SFamicom DQ3 remake because it's DQ3 with solid graphics, animation, and music.

Mister Roboto posted:

Play it with 3 other people. Your party is actually just other celestials who aren't stupid or Tien from Dragonball Z. When I played it with friends it basically ended up as Gohan, Bulma, pseudo-Krillin, and some generic NPC saving the world. :angel:

BabyRyoga posted:

Let's talk order of best to worst

III - The classic, series-off-the-ground quintessential Dragon Quest
IX - Good fusion of classic Dragon Quest job system with poor DQ8 system fixed it's problems, modernized w/ download content and loads of endgame stuff (for now)
VII - Better version of DQ6, 3DS remake gets rid of kinks w/ pieces and adds more content
VI - Most grindy DQ, turning point between old DQ and modern DQ
IV - More story driven DQ, low due to losing out the nostalgia battle (NES 4 had crippling AI problems, so it loses out to NES 3)
VIII - Modernized DQ aesthetically, but job system was kicked back several pegs and felt too much like old DQ
V - A combination of DQ3 and 4, didn't really add much to the series
I - Dated classic
II - Taking the first game and making it more complex, difficulty issues, etc

Disagreements? All versions are considered to be their respective remakes, which are all better than the originals.

Edit: I should list reasons

I see you left out DQX. That was probably for the best. I'm not sure how you consider DQ6 grindy and DQ7 improved upon. DQ7 was long as gently caress and you fought all along the way. I'd probably put 7 below 4. The NES AI problems were bad but they were fixed up in remakes and you could also just go with manual control if you wanted.

DQ8's job system was a new layout, which DQ9 combined with the DQ3 job system more or less. It's interesting but I'd take DQ 6 or 7's systems over 9's given the choice.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
My gripe with DQ8 isn't the skill system itself but rather how few skill points you get. You can screw yourself badly by not meticulously planning your build, and even a well-planned build will not put points into a couple of each character's skills.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Draile posted:

My gripe with DQ8 isn't the skill system itself but rather how few skill points you get. You can screw yourself badly by not meticulously planning your build, and even a well-planned build will not put points into a couple of each character's skills.

I wish DQ8 also would have had a better item crafting system.

Even if you knew all the item recipes and went out of your way to start making things as soon as you could get the required components, usually you'd just end up with gear only slightly better than what you'd have through normal play at that point.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Also there's the part where you run in place for an hour while waiting for your recipe to finish.

I liked DQ8 when I played it the first time but I guess it doesn't hold up well in retrospect.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If there were a remake of 8 that fixes up its iffy bits, that would be just swell. I'd prefer to have 7 3DS in English, however.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

You really need to go play DQ6. If there's a successor to DQ3's layout (and class system) it's DQ6. DQ7 goes a bit too far with class complexities but its still is also pretty nice.

Alternately, play the SFamicom DQ3 remake because it's DQ3 with solid graphics, animation, and music.

Play it with 3 other people. Your party is actually just other celestials who aren't stupid or Tien from Dragonball Z. When I played it with friends it basically ended up as Gohan, Bulma, pseudo-Krillin, and some generic NPC saving the world. :angel:

I see you left out DQX. That was probably for the best. I'm not sure how you consider DQ6 grindy and DQ7 improved upon. DQ7 was long as gently caress and you fought all along the way. I'd probably put 7 below 4. The NES AI problems were bad but they were fixed up in remakes and you could also just go with manual control if you wanted.

DQ8's job system was a new layout, which DQ9 combined with the DQ3 job system more or less. It's interesting but I'd take DQ 6 or 7's systems over 9's given the choice.

7 on the 3DS is too fresh in my head to remember how the original was. Basic jobs level up like 3 times as fast in the remake, which makes the grinding much more tolerable. Also, it means you can do all your basic jobs first then just do 3 or 4 advanced ones in a row.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If you make a list of "best Dragon Quests" and don't have V at least near the top you should be banned from making lists.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Vakal posted:

I wish DQ8 also would have had a better item crafting system.

Even if you knew all the item recipes and went out of your way to start making things as soon as you could get the required components, usually you'd just end up with gear only slightly better than what you'd have through normal play at that point.

The Zombie Slasher(?) you can make using some store-bought weapon and a gold rosary(?) was a nice upgrade, and throwing herbs together for those souped-up healing items was handy early on at least.

There was also the tension-building item that I think you could make multiples of? It was still an awful system though. DQ9's was better for when you wanted to go and use it a few times at least.

BabyRyoga posted:

7 on the 3DS is too fresh in my head to remember how the original was. Basic jobs level up like 3 times as fast in the remake, which makes the grinding much more tolerable. Also, it means you can do all your basic jobs first then just do 3 or 4 advanced ones in a row.

I think getting to God Hand took around 1500 fights in the original while some other class was closer to 2500, so if it's 3x faster just for the basic classes that's welcome since if you didn't grind you'd be hard-pressed to get very far on advanced classes. And the sooner you have a fully developed sage, the better. :hellyeah:

Wendell posted:

If you make a list of "best Dragon Quests" and don't have V at least near the top you should be banned from making lists.

DQ5 had some neat stuff, like with your main character and your kids, but it was really just a stepping stone to DQ6. It introduced some new and cool stuff like the monster taming, but stuck to DQ$'s dead-set class setup. I will say that the first time I played DQ5 on an emulator it seemed like the AI for your party was simply too good. Like there were times where I'd get in to a boss fight, a freak critical would kill someone and then another person would immediately revive them, while in DQ4 all that would happen is Cristo would cast Defeat for the 39084934745th time and watch it fail like it did every previous round against the boss. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're going to have to explain this one a bit more, because looking at it, 6 seems to be pretty endemic of the types of things that put me off of DQ until 9.