Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Still, it's hardly reasonable to take that hatred out on people who weren't even born at the time, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

simplefish posted:

Still, it's hardly reasonable to take that hatred out on people who weren't even born at the time, surely?

Kids in China and even more in Korea are taught to hate the gently caress out of the Japanese before they learn any of the reasons why. Reasonable don't enter into it.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Kids in China and even more in Korea are taught to hate the gently caress out of the Japanese before they learn any of the reasons why. Reasonable don't enter into it.

During one of my history classes last year we were talking about border conflicts and how governments have often used these kinds of squabbles as smokescreens to make political hay. The students were pretty reasonable about it right up to the point that one kid inevitably asked what I thought of those loving rocks China and Japan are always dick-waving over these days. I told them that the U.S. frankly wishes both involved parties would just shut the hell up, but that the Chinese claim to the islands would be stronger if the government had, you know, cared at all about them prior to about 40 years ago, and that anyway the idea of asserting modern borders based on hazy historical documents and traditions is itself just a smokescreen for expansion ("Tibet is part of China because, uh, we read that some Chinese guys centuries ago had read that it is! Yay!").

Somehow this was interpreted as me resoundingly supporting the Chinese waving dick and I actually got a standing ovation. :smithicide:

This semester we'll be tackling manifest destiny and westward expansion in the U.S. leading up to the Civil War. The kids have all been really sympathetic to Native Americans so far. Curious if that will remain constant when some uncomfortable parallels emerge.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

blinkyzero posted:

This semester we'll be tackling manifest destiny and westward expansion in the U.S. leading up to the Civil War. The kids have all been really sympathetic to Native Americans so far. Curious if that will remain constant when some uncomfortable parallels emerge.

They won't "get" it, don't worry.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

systran posted:

Every time I fly my wife has a suitcase full of fish oil, cigarettes, ginseng, and other voodoo magic that we have to give to Chinese relatives. Also this is the route I had to take:

Two-hour drive from Gainesville to Jacksonville airport --> Atlanta/Chicago/whatever --> New Jersey --> Shanghai INTL --> Long and annoying bus ride to Shanghai Domestic --> Fly to random crappy city in Shandong --> 1.5 hour car ride to wife's hometown.

Also keep in mind, each time you have a connection there is either a chance of missing it, or a chance that it's super long and you have to sit in the airport for 3-4 hours.

Wtf you are from GAINESVILLE? Where'd you go to school? I was eastside '96. You?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
My first coworker in China was also from Gainesville. He used to be a prostitute in Tokyo. What up, Che.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Drunkposting philosophy: please ignore.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I live in Gainesville but I grew up in Jacksonville. I went to UF and got a job here. Gainesville is def. better than Jacksonville

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

China hating Japan, sounds like sour grapes to me.

Meanwhile, Japan loves Chinese people because they spend so much money when they visit. Spring Airlines is increasing it's Shanghai - Takamatsu flights.

As much as the governments dickwag, anyone born in Japan after the war doesn't give a poo poo.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

peanut posted:

Meanwhile, Japan loves Chinese people because they spend so much money when they visit.

But what about all the poo poo they leave on the street?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wonton said tourist visas are decided by hukou (family registration?) so Henan scrubs aren't coming anyway.

VVV Tourist visas for Chinese visiting Japan. Rural citizens gotta come on group tours but hukou from major cities can get general tourist visas (they're less likely to overstay and work illegally)

peanut fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 2, 2014

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

peanut posted:

Wonton said tourist visas are decided by hukou (family registration?) so Henan scrubs aren't coming anyway.

What about Henan-bound Chinese? What tourist visa are you talking about?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

But what about all the poo poo they leave on the street?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Can US citizens apply for a Chinese tourist visa by mail? Or do you need to apply in person? (There is no consulate close to me)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I used mychinesevisa.com

You can do it through mail is the short answer, but they will charge you some fees for doing so. Still better than going there yourself!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

systran posted:

I used mychinesevisa.com

You can do it through mail is the short answer, but they will charge you some fees for doing so. Still better than going there yourself!

Oh that's good, I was thinking I might have to drive down to Houston to get it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Look up "visa expedite service." I've used A Briggs before. Strict countries require hand delivery of application but don't care if someone does it on your behalf.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

GregNorc posted:

Can US citizens apply for a Chinese tourist visa by mail? Or do you need to apply in person? (There is no consulate close to me)

Check the OP. Short answer is yes. Although by mail will probably end up being fedex.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

peanut posted:

Look up "visa expedite service." I've used A Briggs before. Strict countries require hand delivery of application but don't care if someone does it on your behalf.

We've used A. Briggs before too. They're good and fast.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
So I've been living in Xi'an for a couple of years now, on and off. And it basically feels "home-ish".

But I'm stuck on my working-visa, tied to a company. If I marry my girlfriend, I can get a spousal visa/family reunion visa, which will give me certainty for a year, maybe 2 at a time. However, that's not a working permit.

What I'm asking, is basically, what are a foreigners long term options in China? Another foreigner friend told me that visas are also tied to age, so anybody over 60/61 can be automatically denied. In Hong Kong, you can gain Permanent Residency (PR) after 7 years? But on the mainland, I only hear rumours of a mythical PR status that's been granted to about 1,000 people in the last 20 years. I read one person's account of gaining PR, and it seemed to be a mixture of serious corporate guanxi and donations of hundreds of thousands of dollars to the local city in medical equipment.

I'm also getting a bit sick of the "What's your ID number?", "Oh, you don't have one. Well then, we can't sell you an apartment, train tickets for your girlfriend, use online financial services", etc. etc. I realise asking for the right to vote is futile, but the possibility of the right to live here, without worrying about being kicked out on somebody else's whim would make me feel a lot better.

Maybe if I owned a Wholly Owned Foreign Entity, I could employ myself + gain work permit. But that's dependant on ten's of thousands of investment, plus ongoing expenses and to be honest, no real certainty that the rules won't change later.

I read about foreigners who have stayed here for 10 years, but were caught working illegally, and were kicked out within weeks.

I just don't see the situation improving either. Last year's visa changes hinted at 5 year visas for professionals, but nothing came out of it. Instead, the unofficial visa industry has been shutdown, and chatter on websites about obtaining Chinese visas has been reduced to almost nothing compared to two years ago. The GFW continually improves, while it seems the government is decreasingly interested in any sources of outside opinions.

At this point, the "we don't want long term foreign immigrants" subtext, isn't really a subtext. I'm left wondering, should I just take the hint, and make plans to gently caress off? Should I be coldly applying a cost/benefit calculation to the length of time I live here, knowing that I can never stay?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Trammel posted:

At this point, the "we don't want long term foreign immigrants" subtext, isn't really a subtext. I'm left wondering, should I just take the hint, and make plans to gently caress off? Should I be coldly applying a cost/benefit calculation to the length of time I live here, knowing that I can never stay?

I think this will change within the next decade or so. Once China sees its GDP start to decrease and social expenditures become a larger and larger part of government spending due to their aging population they are going to scramble to try and fix this, and an easy way to stop some of the bleeding is to relax immigration laws and get some productivity and tax revenue from foreign workers.

It would make more sense if they started significantly preparing for the problem now, but well it's China and all. Just look at Japan if you want to see what's going to happen over the next few decades in China. Anyway my fingers are crossed but for now foreigners are hosed in this department.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Arakan posted:

I think this will change within the next decade or so. Once China sees its GDP start to decrease and social expenditures become a larger and larger part of government spending due to their aging population they are going to scramble to try and fix this, and an easy way to stop some of the bleeding is to relax immigration laws and get some productivity and tax revenue from foreign workers.

I dunno. I get what you mean, and for many countries it would make sense, but China is no stranger to its own brand of exceptionalism and I suspect the Party will continue to make it clear that foreigners are not welcome in the PRC for the long haul. That said, who knows what the next few decades will bring? The Party's power and footing isn't absolute or certain.

I can say that right now it's a bitch to get any kind of long-term living arrangement in this country. My cousin was of counsel with a firm in Shanghai for many years and he didn't even bother going for the resident D visa when it was created. The pols he talked to about it said he had pretty much zero chance of securing one, despite being married to a Chinese citizen and having a Chinese child. Apparently it is indeed pretty much the letter of the law that you need to have sunk an extraordinary amount of money into the country to pull that off.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
My coworker has permanent residency. He has been in China for 15 years and has a wife and child. He also owns several properties and is invested in a lot of things, which makes me wonder why he still teaches ESL. He came to China when it was difficult to get teachers and he is on an old salary package. He allegedly makes 40,000+ a month to teach ESL, though I don't have the grapes to ask him.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Trammel posted:

So I've been living in Xi'an for a couple of years now, on and off. And it basically feels "home-ish".

But I'm stuck on my working-visa, tied to a company. If I marry my girlfriend, I can get a spousal visa/family reunion visa, which will give me certainty for a year, maybe 2 at a time. However, that's not a working permit.

What I'm asking, is basically, what are a foreigners long term options in China? Another foreigner friend told me that visas are also tied to age, so anybody over 60/61 can be automatically denied. In Hong Kong, you can gain Permanent Residency (PR) after 7 years? But on the mainland, I only hear rumours of a mythical PR status that's been granted to about 1,000 people in the last 20 years. I read one person's account of gaining PR, and it seemed to be a mixture of serious corporate guanxi and donations of hundreds of thousands of dollars to the local city in medical equipment.

I'm also getting a bit sick of the "What's your ID number?", "Oh, you don't have one. Well then, we can't sell you an apartment, train tickets for your girlfriend, use online financial services", etc. etc. I realise asking for the right to vote is futile, but the possibility of the right to live here, without worrying about being kicked out on somebody else's whim would make me feel a lot better.

Maybe if I owned a Wholly Owned Foreign Entity, I could employ myself + gain work permit. But that's dependant on ten's of thousands of investment, plus ongoing expenses and to be honest, no real certainty that the rules won't change later.

I read about foreigners who have stayed here for 10 years, but were caught working illegally, and were kicked out within weeks.

I just don't see the situation improving either. Last year's visa changes hinted at 5 year visas for professionals, but nothing came out of it. Instead, the unofficial visa industry has been shutdown, and chatter on websites about obtaining Chinese visas has been reduced to almost nothing compared to two years ago. The GFW continually improves, while it seems the government is decreasingly interested in any sources of outside opinions.

Pro-PRC would tell you to set up a "business" and then be self-employed. Though that may not be doable, or a desire for everyone. Even he is stuck renewing his visa every 2-5 years and could kicked out with little notice.

The fact is, at this time China has enough people to deal with and doesn't seem to have the desire to deal with foreigners who want to come in and take their jobs/money/women/opportunities whatever. If you do decide to marry this girl, make sure she's prepared for the possibility of leaving China, whether that be to your home (Aus) or another country altogether. You can always wait it out in hopes that things will change, but it could be a while.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My wife was watching this show the other day where the contestants beg ten CEOs to give them jobs. They had a few episodes with all foreigners. It was pretty fun to watch, especially that "John" white guy (one of the CEOs) that speaks loving perfect Mandarin.

They had an Egyptian lady that spoke excellent Mandarin, English, and fluent Arabic, and they only offered her a job that started at 5,000 RMB/month.

There was a Russian guy whose Mandarin was good but he said a bunch of dumb poo poo.

It was pretty fun to watch, but it still played into the like... foreigners as sideshow/gawk at them thing.

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

SB35 posted:

If you do decide to marry this girl, make sure she's prepared for the possibility of leaving China, whether that be to your home (Aus) or another country altogether. You can always wait it out in hopes that things will change, but it could be a while.

I'm gonna have to side with SB and Blinky on this. You can cross your fingers but dont get your hopes up. Myself and my colleagues are seeing a lot of changes in the Hospitality industry here. Just a few years ago, pretty much all of the General Managers were foreigners because Hospitality was (and still is) a relatively new industry in China. Many high level positions were filled by an experienced foreign person. A local Chinese person simply didn't have the know how to open a 5 star hotel let alone run it properly. Now that China is learning more and becoming more familiar with the industry, there are less foreign GMs and Directors. The ones that are already in place are being set up to be replaced by local Chinese. While a majority of 5 star hotels are still run by foreign GMs, the tide is shifting to local Chinese.

It seems like once China gets what it needs from you, you're no longer needed and bye bye!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

systran posted:

My wife was watching this show the other day where the contestants beg ten CEOs to give them jobs. They had a few episodes with all foreigners. It was pretty fun to watch, especially that "John" white guy (one of the CEOs) that speaks loving perfect Mandarin.

They had an Egyptian lady that spoke excellent Mandarin, English, and fluent Arabic, and they only offered her a job that started at 5,000 RMB/month.

There was a Russian guy whose Mandarin was good but he said a bunch of dumb poo poo.

It was pretty fun to watch, but it still played into the like... foreigners as sideshow/gawk at them thing.

This sounds really interesting, do you have a name or links to youtube/youku?

\/\/ Awesome, thanks

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 6, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ASBBIDMS0s

I can't get youku to load right now, but here is the title if you want to search it there:

非你莫属 20130430 美国帅哥大秀纹身 混血女生迷惑众人

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 6, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thank You for joining the "being a minority club!"

Trammel posted:

You are correct, a spousal visa is really not a working permit. I know people who got married and just worked on the side with their spousal visa. The situation was kind of weird and it got even more strange when they "divorced". Legally they were still married but theoretically the spouse can just call the cops on you :ohdear:

Personally, I rather go legal and be tied to a job instead of being tied to your spouse. But then, a noose is still a nooose regardless of fabric.

quote:

In Hong Kong, you can gain Permanent Residency (PR) after 7 years? But on the mainland, I only hear rumours of a mythical PR status that's been granted to about 1,000 people in the last 20 years. I read one person's account of gaining PR, and it seemed to be a mixture of serious corporate guanxi and donations of hundreds of thousands of dollars to the local city in medical equipment.

Do you have to spend loads of money? Maybe. Going through the obscure bureaucratic process is weird. China being China, there are actually lots of extra legal turned legal means to do things. More of a who you know basis :shrugs: It was in the news the other day that a few government officials end up with 4 hukous. Legally.

Yeah in Hong Kong you can PR after 7 years in Hong Kong. That's 7 years, each year spending 10.5 months of time in the city. That's just residency to roam and not get deported in Hong Kong. If you want Chinese Nationality you can renounce your old Nationality and get a Chinese passport and get a "go back to your village card ". Which means you can go to Tibet freely (and use the fast travel gates).

If you have common wealth citizenship, most of the countries allow you to get back your citizenship immediately. And get 2 passports. Your reasons can be "yeah, I'm doing this process for Chinese residency wink wink nudge nudge". America? Tough break, NO ONE SAYS NO TO UNCLE SAM :911:

I know a Hong Kong goon is going through this process. He's doesn't brag like Pro PRC and he's actually getting residency. Unlike Pro PRC :downsrim:

quote:

Guess what? Being Hong Kong Chinese is only slightly better! I can't book train tickets, I can't stay at certain hotels. And North of Guangdong no one really knows what the gently caress to do with my ID card. Granted, I probably can buy an apartment and I won't get deported, so my situation is better. Only slightly. I don't think I'm limited by One Childfamily planning policy but lots of places throw their arms and go "what the gently caress do I do with this ID boss?". It's funny because I then ask them if they are separatists and everyone just nervously laughs "hehehe, you are just more international~~~"

Oh and I can't join the army/police. Which is ok. But I can't do business with State owned Businesses concerning "sensitive" industries. So Aerospace, Defense, Pharmaceutical, etc... Can't do those trade contracts. But maybe if the money is good enough people will hook me up and do a split partnership with some local party boss. Those fuckers.

quote:

From my experience, WOFE's are getting rarer and rarer because the system is getting sick of giving all these weird tax breaks and loopholes. So I don't know about going down the WOFE route.

quote:

That's not just China though. Only America allows illegals to roam freely. Heck most countries here in East Asia just don't have much of an immigration policy period. I applaud you and am happy that you are setting up China as your home but the country is just not set up for immigrants. Countries here are so poor and the statistics so skewed that don't need outsiders. Nor had they any experience dealing with outsiders.

And heck, most people can't stand being in China for too long. Locals included. The only places I can think of with a visible plan for immigration are Taiwan (please know our plight), Singapore, Hong Kong.

quote:

I just don't see the situation improving either.

I see it as a transition process. Or that companies and management should be the ones dealing with the bureaucracy and not the individual. If you have the desirable skill sets, then companies and people will do whatever they can to make you happy.

quote:

Even places like Australia and US have the same mentality. We like immigrants as long as they are useful. And allowing in refugees for Humanitarian reasons is just a token gesture for all the problems we made in the loving past. Even America the land of opportunity allows opportunity for a certain demographic.

Systemic institutional racism and classism always exists. The odds and cards are stacked against you. You just find out about this time because you are born on the short end of the stick. All immigrants in the world know this rule. And they can feel it. If you don't know the rules of the local game then you just get hosed. Go to the cops? You better get those language skills right or else you will be the suspect. Making local friends? You better know the local culture because if you don't celebrate our holidays you are disrespectful.

Thank You for joining the "being a minority club!"

Arakan posted:

I think that's being too ideal. We have enough poor people in Henan/Hunan/Sichuan to fill the shoes. The country went through even more drastic economic changes and it still didn't rely on immigration. There is still a major wealth gap and infrastructure gap. Plus the pollution kills old people in no time so don't worry too much about medical care :downsrim:

quote:

It would make more sense if they started significantly preparing for the problem now, but well it's China and all. Just look at Japan if you want to see what's going to happen over the next few decades in China. Anyway my fingers are crossed but for now foreigners are hosed in this department.

There are Many Problems in China. With the foresight you mentioned half of Those Problems won't even be there in the first place.

Japanese immigration policy is a joke. They moved a whole bunch of brazillian Japanese to the factories but there were major culture clashes because Japan didnt and doesn't know how to deal with integration. "Because they had the blood of yamato they must understand!!!" :laffo:

Nowadays the government is paying people to move back to Brazil :negative:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
If I want to have my girlfriend come over from china to visit Canada, say, for a month or so, what stands in her way from leaving the country? I'm aware of the Canadian Visa/Tourism/Visiting requirements, but have no idea what a Chinese citizen faces for leaving the country, even temporarily.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ceciltron posted:

If I want to have my girlfriend come over from china to visit Canada, say, for a month or so, what stands in her way from leaving the country? I'm aware of the Canadian Visa/Tourism/Visiting requirements, but have no idea what a Chinese citizen faces for leaving the country, even temporarily.

Why would China care if she went to Canada for a month? Is she a party official?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

China doesn't care, as long as she already has her passport she's fine. Canada cares because they want to make sure she won't just come and stay illegally. Jump through Canada's hoops and you're good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ceciltron posted:

You should ask your immigration lawyer :downsrim:

If she's not in the army or foreign service then there are no restrictions. It's not the 1970's anymore...

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

SB35 posted:

China doesn't care, as long as she already has her passport she's fine. Canada cares because they want to make sure she won't just come and stay illegally. Jump through Canada's hoops and you're good.

caberham posted:

If she's not in the army or foreign service then there are no restrictions. It's not the 1970's anymore...

And that was my question answered. Thanks guys!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Some of the coolest people I've ever known were Brazilians in Japan. They introduced me to feijoada, which is the greatest gift you can give someone.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

AfroNinja posted:

I'm gonna have to side with SB and Blinky on this. You can cross your fingers but dont get your hopes up. Myself and my colleagues are seeing a lot of changes in the Hospitality industry here. Just a few years ago, pretty much all of the General Managers were foreigners because Hospitality was (and still is) a relatively new industry in China. Many high level positions were filled by an experienced foreign person. A local Chinese person simply didn't have the know how to open a 5 star hotel let alone run it properly. Now that China is learning more and becoming more familiar with the industry, there are less foreign GMs and Directors. The ones that are already in place are being set up to be replaced by local Chinese. While a majority of 5 star hotels are still run by foreign GMs, the tide is shifting to local Chinese.

It seems like once China gets what it needs from you, you're no longer needed and bye bye!

Since last year, almost a quarter of my students have been kids whose parents run or finance big, fancy hotels in the Shanghai metropolitan area and Yuyao/Hangzhou/Ningbo, and these parents have agreed to put the kids through international schooling solely so they can come back and work as management. We had dinner with one of these students and his mother once (owns and operates a new five-star hotel in the north end of the city), and she pretty much told me exactly what you just said: that foreigners used to be essential in her business, but the Chinese are rapidly replacing them, having absorbed all of their knowledge and experience.

caberham posted:

Even places like Australia and US have the same mentality. We like immigrants as long as they are useful. And allowing in refugees for Humanitarian reasons is just a token gesture for all the problems we made in the loving past. Even America the land of opportunity allows opportunity for a certain demographic.

Systemic institutional racism and classism always exists. The odds and cards are stacked against you. You just find out about this time because you are born on the short end of the stick. All immigrants in the world know this rule. And they can feel it. If you don't know the rules of the local game then you just get hosed. Go to the cops? You better get those language skills right or else you will be the suspect. Making local friends? You better know the local culture because if you don't celebrate our holidays you are disrespectful.

There's a lot of interesting stuff in this post, as there usually is in caberham diatribes exegeses, but I'll limit my response to this bit. I get a lot of new perspectives from my students these days in our American history class, and they genuinely think that the U.S. has always been a super welcoming beacon of hope for immigrants. Give me your tired, your hungry, your poor...right? Too bad that the reality has been quite different from the sentiment of that frog statue in Manhattan harbor and its idealistic Emma Lazarus poetry. The States have been openly hostile to immigration for pretty much their entire history. My favorite example is all of the Italians and Irish rotting aboard ships in Boston harbor because they couldn't secure the employment necessary to disembark their hated Catholic asses (if you've ever wondered why rich New England WASP families historically have a lot of Catholic helpers and servants, this is a big part of it). The best example is probably the Chinese Exclusion Acts, of course, or the Alien and Sedition Acts. The Klu Klux Klan's revival in the 20th century also featured fierce nativism as pretty much its central plank.

I really don't know much about immigration history in China during the late Qing or the modern era. Anyone have any good books on this?

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

Ceciltron posted:

Just to apply for a visa as a tourist . But heads up for you, remind her not let Canadian immigration knows she's gonna visit boyfriend there otherwise her application would probably be rejected. Coz every young Chinese girl who wanna visit western countries, those immigration office will assume they're gonna be prostitutes, getting pregnant or seeking some medical help there first until they prove they're not.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

This reminds me of a student we had in Beijing who kept getting turned down for his student visa. Three interviews, three fails. His English was fine, but the interviewers kept asking him, "What do you think of the U.S.?" and, eager to please, he'd blurt out "I love America! I want to go there and stay there forever because it is best country!"

Panicking, he asked me for advice. I told him to be apathetic or even critical of the U.S. if they asked a question like that. He didn't believe me, but he agreed to try it out of desperation. The fourth interview, they did throw pretty much the same thing at him, and he went with "It has many problems and does not treat foreigners well, also I would like to study there but come back to China very soon."

Bam, instant visa.

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006
Quick ways for Chinese to get western countries visas especially for UK and USA : 1. Hey, I/my family have many properties in China, I don't give a drat to those so called welfare I would never understand. 2. What the hell is the US of A ?! Not interested. I'm gonna definitely go back to my lovely harmonious communist home country soon after visiting /studying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ceciltron, your girlfriend needs to eat a bag of Old Dutch Ketchup chips :canada:

kwantingus posted:

Just to apply for a visa as a tourist . But heads up for you, remind her not let Canadian immigration knows she's gonna visit boyfriend there otherwise her application would probably be rejected. Coz every young Chinese girl who wanna visit western countries, those immigration office will assume they're gonna be prostitutes, getting pregnant or seeking some medical help there first until they prove they're not.

Canada is not as notorious as the US. Yes we have our restrictions but we are a lot more welcoming to normal people. As long as your girlfriend as a job back home in China and a family back home, you should be golden. Don't need to throw a charade in front of some :smug: immigration officer at the embassy.

Maybe it's true in America :911: But as we like to say "NOT IN CANADA" :canada: Yes, you do have to apply for a visa. No, we don't really give a poo poo about "them illegals". People are more angry at mainlanders because they have too much money :downsrim: "loving ehhhhh, those fake communists are driving up our housing prices! Why can't they just take up some good hard work like the Eastern Europeans trying to make an honest living??"

Multiculturalism :canada: is officially mandated into government policy and drilled into your heads since we are 7. No one throws a stinker if the National Anthem is sung in another language (just don't be off key). Bilingualism French is also drilled into our heads. The country has one of the highest rates of immigration in the world and dare I say, nowadays immigration is celebrated because who the heck wants to live in the prairies.
Or Manitoba. Yeah, First Nations relations are still really icy and the country is not a land of frozen roses.

We actually have a much better foreign policy. We don't bomb people or use drone strikes. We don't have hungry multinational corporations starting proxy wars and coups. Our Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson created the idea of UN peace keepers. Maybe the Arab world hates us because Israeli spies and other intelligence agencies in the world use Canadian passports. Oh and First Nations rightfully hate us as well because they are still considered as Aliens under the Alien Act of Canada. Well, now they get to periodically sue the government for compensation.

I'm the biggest self proclaimed America boo in SomethingAwful East Asia but I'm pretty proud that I grew up in Canada. Out of all the different stains of poo poo I see in the world, Canada is paradise. Vancouver and Montreal are great cities. That's it. Toronto can just play baseball because the Leafs suck.

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 6, 2014