Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:iiam: to every but the developers. Everything else is based on speculation and experimentation. Does it work? No one knows!

Also that new Thor isnt listed as a 'Rare Character' like every other 3*, but as a 'Gold Character' instead. Weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SynthOrange posted:

:iiam: to every but the developers. Everything else is based on speculation and experimentation. Does it work? No one knows!

Also that new Thor isnt listed as a 'Rare Character' like every other 3*, but as a 'Gold Character' instead. Weird!

Pretty sure the developers also have no idea of how it works.

Gold Character: Same old character as before, but he goes up to 141 now!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm clearly out of the loop here, help me out.

I keep getting matched against maxxed 3-star fuckoff teams. Usually I'd jump in a lightning round with a bunch of losers and problem solved. Apparently that doesn't work anymore because of a nebulous entity called MMR that forces you to actually win a drat match with the crappiest selection of costumed freaks you can find? If I could beat Black Panther 141/Spidey 141/Hulk 141 with my lvl 7 Bullseye I wouldn't need to reduce the drat em-em-whatever in the first place, assholes :argh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can also tank your MMR by not playing tournaments. I've been too busy and ended up just missing lightning rounds completely last week. All of yesterday the only opponents I've been matched up with in the Lightning rounds are default + hawkeye + yelena teams. :iia:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

SynthOrange posted:

You can also tank your MMR by not playing tournaments. I've been too busy and ended up just missing lightning rounds completely last week. All of yesterday the only opponents I've been matched up with in the Lightning rounds are default + hawkeye + yelena teams. :iia:

That doesn't work with me, I'm afraid; I can't remember the last lightning round I've played. I've pretty much dropped the game after the first rounds of funbalancement and I can still only find lvl 141. Not 110. Not 120. They're all maxxed :stare:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^^ You're probably just still at your previous MMR rating then, except everyone at the same level has been playing and maxed their guys while you haven't. Theoretically you'll eventually gravitate to where you should be.

seravid posted:

Usually I'd jump in a lightning round with a bunch of losers and problem solved. Apparently that doesn't work anymore because of a nebulous entity called MMR that forces you to actually win a drat match with the crappiest selection of costumed freaks you can find?
MMR has always been around, they've just been tinkering with the internal logic of it because people were just throwing a bunch of losers into Lightning Rounds to game it into thinking they were worse players than they actually were.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got some ideas about how to rejig it, but they'd have to swap around the order of events for picking an opponent. A fairer way would be 'find an opponent at my strength' but that would require your team to be picked first, then the game looks for opponents.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

seravid posted:

I'm clearly out of the loop here, help me out.

I keep getting matched against maxxed 3-star fuckoff teams. Usually I'd jump in a lightning round with a bunch of losers and problem solved. Apparently that doesn't work anymore because of a nebulous entity called MMR that forces you to actually win a drat match with the crappiest selection of costumed freaks you can find? If I could beat Black Panther 141/Spidey 141/Hulk 141 with my lvl 7 Bullseye I wouldn't need to reduce the drat em-em-whatever in the first place, assholes :argh:

The key is to join the LR as soon as it pops up. That way you get to fight the point seed teams.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Largepotato posted:

The key is to join the LR as soon as it pops up. That way you get to fight the point seed teams.

Yep, look at all three matches offered and leave one alone to beat with your tank team. That matchup will stay there until you choose to play it, or you get unlucky and someone beats you and it turns into a retaliation match.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those top level hero contest prizes! :laffo:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm glad to see the game has improved quite a bit in the three months I was away. A couple of questions:

- What's the best way to grind money? I plan to have a Thor-Spidey-Storm team, and they are all in their mid-50s. So far I am making 1000-1.500 ISO each fast tournament, which at this point is barely enough for a level.

- What's the normal distribution of skills for Cap? I'm at 5/4/4 and have a red cover laying around. I usually use yellow gems with Spidey/Thor, so I dont see much point in that power. Am I missing some awesome combo?

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
For actually *grinding* money, my favourite option is still to just run the first prologue mission in 2 moves while watching TV. You don't even need to look at the screen once you get used to it.

For cap - Red/Blue at 5 - Yellow at 3 because it's rubbish and overpriced, and his ability to shield away enemy tiles on two colours is really useful sometimes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

matryx posted:

For cap - Red/Blue at 5 - Yellow at 3 because it's rubbish and overpriced, and his ability to shield away enemy tiles on two colours is really useful sometimes.

Thanks, that was what I thought, but I haven't run the numbers for how much damage you prevent.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks, that was what I thought, but I haven't run the numbers for how much damage you prevent.

From the one or two times I've used the power, it prevents a ton of damage; it's just not practical to get to that point in 99% of fights.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Sefer posted:

From the one or two times I've used the power, it prevents a ton of damage; it's just not practical to get to that point in 99% of fights.

I think it would be better if they made it three random yellow, and cut the cost down to like 8.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

It prevents 0 damage because you will never use it. :colbert:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I used Cap's yellow once against some lvl 230 fight about 5 or 6 minutes in and it was pretty awesome.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Last night I finally got into a lovely enough bracket to get my first Top 50 Lightning Round with my crippled villains.

My reward was a Loki Trickster token :negative:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
THis is the least participated-in event I've seen. I'm at 32nd with 150.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

Last night I finally got into a lovely enough bracket to get my first Top 50 Lightning Round with my crippled villains.

My reward was a Loki Trickster token :negative:

You tried your best and got a miserable reward. The lesson is: never try.

CaptainScraps posted:

you got into a fresh bracket. Give it a couple of hours

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I hate fighting level 50 hulk and friends way more than fighting level 230 Hulk. With the later, it's really hard to trigger his passive and you can just stunlock him easily enough.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sefer posted:

I hate fighting level 50 hulk and friends way more than fighting level 230 Hulk. With the later, it's really hard to trigger his passive and you can just stunlock him easily enough.

Are you fighting in the desert? because 1-star storm completely dominates that poo poo.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I've been running Thor, OBW and M.Storm every stage that lets me and it seems to dominate. M.Storm/OBW is the best anti-mook combo I can put together with my roster.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

matryx posted:

For actually *grinding* money, my favourite option is still to just run the first prologue mission in 2 moves while watching TV. You don't even need to look at the screen once you get used to it.

I tried this yesterday for five minutes, but began feeling sorry for Dr. Doom. Being blasted 2 times a minute doesn't look like fun.

trucutru posted:

you got into a fresh bracket. Give it a couple of hours

It's very slow for me too. I've fought 4-6 times since the start of the tournament, I'm sitting pretty at the 60 spot in my bracket, and been attacked only once. People must be aiming for Ares.

How much does a Loki cover sells for, again? :getin:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
gently caress yeah! 500 credits got me a 3* Blue Spidey! :circlefap:

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm pretty ok with this since if I can get a few more Loki covers, I'll be able to run the Patch Loki combo I've always wanted. 9 green and 11 black for six 130 strength strike and protect tiles? :mmmhmm:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

drat you, ahicks! :argh:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainScraps posted:

Pffft. Amateur

Largepotato posted:

drat you, ahicks! :argh:

drat you, Largepotato! :argh:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I've been running Thor, OBW and M.Storm every stage that lets me and it seems to dominate. M.Storm/OBW is the best anti-mook combo I can put together with my roster.

M. Storm and OBW is pretty much the best anti-mook combo in Oasis, Forest and Lab in my opinion.

I've just been running my Punisher / M. Storm / OBW during every stage except the ones where I have to use my poo poo Black Panther. I loving love the Punisher now that he's 3/5/5. The extra Strike Tile each activation of his skill is loving amazing.

Three Punisher Green usually leaves me around 6 ~ 8 Strike tiles, each adding over a 100 extra damage. I can generally fire off 4 Punisher Blacks in a row if I've gathered enough AP to use his Green 3 times, which means that I deal at least 1k damage to all enemies each time, and then it's just a matter of using his Red and making use of OBW's Black passive to wipe everything up. If I had a Black cover for Black Panther, he might work well as a replacement for Punisher, since he gets a way higher boost and his Black could be much stronger.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
If anyone wants, we have two spaces available in the anime alliance.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Just started, pretty lost so far. I spent the first recruit token-thing and got a 4-star Wolverine; assuming this isn't a guaranteed tutorial drop or anything? He seems to wreck pretty much everything so far with zero thought, since he has 1300+ HP when everyone else has 150-300 and hits so hard every single gem type goes to him. At least this should speed up the early game.. I suppose I should spend all my level up-currencies on him when I can?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dropbear posted:

Just started, pretty lost so far. I spent the first recruit token-thing and got a 4-star Wolverine; assuming this isn't a guaranteed tutorial drop or anything? He seems to wreck pretty much everything so far with zero thought, since he has 1300+ HP when everyone else has 150-300 and hits so hard every single gem type goes to him. At least this should speed up the early game.. I suppose I should spend all my level up-currencies on him when I can?

Yes, although unless you keep getting incredibly lucky on the draw you won't be able to level him up much. After you hit the level cap you'll want to level up iron man, storm, and black widow 1-star until you get better 2-star characters. You will get many covers for them.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dropbear posted:

Level him but , unless you spend mad amounts of cash, you won't be able to level the guy much (since you need extra covers to be able to do so after a couple of level ). You just randomly got a level four guy from the token, it happens rarely. He's actually not even that good so take advantage of him while you can.

Spend all your hero points in cover space and nothing else.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

trucutru posted:

Pffft. Amateur

drat you, Largepotato! :argh:

Man, I feel proud just to get my one star scrub team into the under-75 bracket.

C'mon baby, daddy needs a new set of Thors Ares! :downs:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 7, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Two Hulk tokens, two blue modern hawkeye :suicide:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

beaner69 posted:

If anyone wants, we have two spaces available in the anime alliance.

Joined it! Thanks

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Call Me Charlie posted:

Two Hulk tokens, two pink modern hawkeye :suicide:

Fixed for me. gently caress everything.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Holy crap, mine crapped out a Black Panther black. Wooooo

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

CaptainScraps posted:

Holy crap, mine crapped out a Black Panther black. Wooooo

By some miracle, I got one this event from a standard token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LorneReams posted:

By some miracle, I got one this event from a standard token.

So did I.

I've had a lot of luck with random tokens giving me good heroes, knock on wood.