Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Wonderful! Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

drat, if I had known about the one in KY sooner I would have arranged a trip out. Does anyone know of any around VA/MD/DC? I'm not opposed to traveling a bit farther, either.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Agrias120 posted:

drat, if I had known about the one in KY sooner I would have arranged a trip out. Does anyone know of any around VA/MD/DC? I'm not opposed to traveling a bit farther, either.

Hey, if there's one nearby, hit me up. Perhaps a roadtrip?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Peenmaster posted:

:siren:WARNING THIS LINKS TO SOMETHING I MADE:siren:

So I went against normal goon behaviornand actually made something that required :effort:.

3 Minutes of Gameplay: Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula Kun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTscikKXZUY

It's still rendering so it only goes up to 360p at the moment.

A 1 second title followed by 3 minutes of gameplay of a videogame. No talking or Linkin Park.

I was talking about this yesterday and decided I would be a loser if I didn't do it.

It's unlisted because I want to get feedback from you, the target audience, so I can make improvements. I feel like there are some slow parts I could tighten up.

Please be harsh so I can figure out how to not suck at this. Thanks.

Edit: gently caress HOW IS IT 3:02? IT SHOULD ONLY BE 3:01. I hosed UP. (I'll fix that later)

I dunoo, I think it looks fine. My only feedback would be to feature at least one (probably only one) death. Dying is a pretty big part of a lot of games. Think of how iconic the original Super Mario Bros death music is.

Well, I guess just about everything about SMB is iconic at this point, but you get the picture.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

RadicalR posted:

Hey, if there's one nearby, hit me up. Perhaps a roadtrip?

SPEAKING OF ROADTRIPS. Looks like we have about 8 people involved in the Chicago goon type meet. We are hitting :

http://gallopingghostarcade.com/
https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Peenmaster posted:

So I went against normal goon behaviornand actually made something that required :effort:.

A 1 second title followed by 3 minutes of gameplay of a videogame. No talking or Linkin Park.

I was talking about this yesterday and decided I would be a loser if I didn't do it.

It's unlisted because I want to get feedback from you, the target audience, so I can make improvements. I feel like there are some slow parts I could tighten up.

Edit: gently caress HOW IS IT 3:02? IT SHOULD ONLY BE 3:01. I hosed UP. (I'll fix that later)

That's awesome. Is that a fan game or some sort of Castlevania clone? Also, that Klansman didn't put up much of a fight. Guess most bigots are wimps.

On another note, I don't know how I avoided playing Gunstar Heroes for so long. I just blew through it in one sitting. I love the weapon combos. Dat wind-lightning gun :hellyeah:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Peenmaster posted:

That's the first game video I've watched through in forever. It didn't even seem like 3 minutes. It's almost my idea of perfect. I'd like explanations of the gameplay mechanics. Doesn't have to be anything fancy since you're going for no human interruption videos, but when KidDracula started flashing red I didn't know if he was hurt or invincible it took me a minute to realize it was a charge shot. Just a couple sentences in the description for people who have never seen the games(which I would assume are who would watch these videos).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

That's awesome. Is that a fan game or some sort of Castlevania clone? Also, that Klansman didn't put up much of a fight. Guess most bigots are wimps.

It is an actual game that Konami made for the Castlevania series that roughly translates to Kid Dracula (I believe). The final boss is Galamoth. Yes, that huge dude from SotN.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Phantasium posted:

It is an actual game that Konami made for the Castlevania series that roughly translates to Kid Dracula (I believe). The final boss is Galamoth. Yes, that huge dude from SotN.

Wow, wild.

Peen, I wouldn't mind just few sentences explaining the game and mechanics. You don't have to go all AVGN or anything; General info and maybe a bit of history makes for an enjoyable video experience my opinion.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Phantasium posted:

They named the Game Boy semisequel/remake Kid Dracula when it came out here, so yeah.

I only heard about that game in Disney Adventures magazine. It's fairly pricey for a GB game now.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

TheHoosier posted:

Wow, wild.

Peen, I wouldn't mind just few sentences explaining the game and mechanics. You don't have to go all AVGN or anything; General info and maybe a bit of history makes for an enjoyable video experience my opinion.

I plan on writing an in depth description/blog post to go with the videos to fill the viewer in on mechanics/history/fun facts. Going with text for that because I want the video to be nothing but gameplay. Just wanted to focus on the video at first.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) Quiet Feet: Featuring a death is a good idea, and Galamoth knows I have more than enough footage of me dying in the 2 hours of raw footage. I think I'll shorten a few things and see if I can sneak it in there. If it messes with the flow too much I'll just keep it as a note for the next installment.

I'm glad you guys seemed to like it! I'm gonna try and make one of these every 2 weeks or so. We'll see what the turnaround time is after I make a few and adjust the schedule.

I plan on posting the videos and writeups here.

Thanks for your help! (And more feedback is always welcome.)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I haven't been able to watch the video, but if you want to be unobtrusive, the BEST long play I ever saw was TheRedEye's playthrough of Mr Gimmick with annotations. If you don't wanna talk, you can be smart with annotations like he was.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Peenmaster posted:

This is actually really awesome and I love the idea, It's always nice to see people that get lots of people aren't interested in "personalities" and just want to see (and hear!) gameplay. I wonder what separates this from a longplay though? I'm not trying to knock something that I'd honestly like to see more of, just really wondering why I would watch this rather than finding a longplay for the same game and just skipping around (I don't know anybody who watches longplays or any game videos straight through).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

This is actually really awesome and I love the idea, It's always nice to see people that get lots of people aren't interested in "personalities" and just want to see (and hear!) gameplay. I wonder what separates this from a longplay though? I'm not trying to knock something that I'd honestly like to see more of, just really wondering why I would watch this rather than finding a longplay for the same game and just skipping around (I don't know anybody who watches longplays or any game videos straight through).

This chick, right here. I will straight up watch longplays on cubex55. Depends on the game, though. Sometimes I just put them on to fall asleep to.

I won't pretend that's the norm, though! :v:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I haven't been able to watch the video, but if you want to be unobtrusive, the BEST long play I ever saw was TheRedEye's playthrough of Mr Gimmick with annotations. If you don't wanna talk, you can be smart with annotations like he was.

I'll keep that as a consideration, but I generally don't like annotations in videos very much. I'm trying to be really strict with my "only gameplay" rule because I feel like it's a slippery slope. That said I obviously don't want the games to seem inaccessible, but if anything I'd probably do subs since those are cleaner looking.

d0s posted:

I guess the only real difference is that this does the skipping around for you? Also even if you plan on skipping around, a 3 hour video can seem pretty intimidating (I love longplays though <3)

Edit: I guess basically it's an attempt to make a nice little bite sized chunk if vidya for people to enjoy.
Thanks for the feedback!

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 7, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Peenmaster posted:

Edit: I guess basically it's an attempt to make a nice little bite sized chunk if vidya for people to enjoy.
Thanks for the feedback!

Makes sense when you put it like that. Maybe try to show some artwork from the game box or concept art or something before the game to visually differentiate it in people's minds from a "short longplay". Look at that "best genesis music" video that was posted in here to see a good video that's all about gameplay footage and music but is kinda visually interesting enough to actually sit and watch and not just skip around looking for whatever turns you on or off to decide if you're gonna play a particular game.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLNKUT2ZbDI

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 7, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Peenmaster posted:

That's a good concept to work with. I like the idea and obviously it isn't going to be hugely effort intensive for you. You had a good balance of stuff. I'd try to not make any game play segment longer than about ten to fifteen seconds. That mean that you would have to select fifteen "moments" that exemplify the game.

That's the best thing I can offer you: what are the fifteen things in this game that people should know about it? Build from that. For example with Kid Dracula I'd say that you need:

The start of the game.
Some platforming.
A few boss fights (both the start of them and the end)
That level 1 boss because his appearance is so infamous
The quiz
Demonstrations of different powers

Break down a game like that and then cut what you want together from it. When I watched your video I was thinking, "Where are the other distinctive powers? Why didn't he show the big ghost? Why is there so much footage of the bonus games?" Doing three minutes means a tight focus and I'd advise you work on that.

d0s posted:

I wonder what separates this from a longplay though? I'm not trying to knock something that I'd honestly like to see more of, just really wondering why I would watch this rather than finding a longplay for the same game and just skipping around (I don't know anybody who watches longplays or any game videos straight through).

If you're randomly jumping around longplays then you're not getting video that highlights features or segments of the game. You're not getting a good view of the game.

I've started a video project of my own last night which is going in a completely different direction. It'll be a video that I would be the only person in this thread remotely interested in the subject! :v:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

That's a good concept to work with. I like the idea and obviously it isn't going to be hugely effort intensive for you. You had a good balance of stuff. I'd try to not make any game play segment longer than about ten to fifteen seconds. That mean that you would have to select fifteen "moments" that exemplify the game.

That's the best thing I can offer you: what are the fifteen things in this game that people should know about it? Build from that. For example with Kid Dracula I'd say that you need:

The start of the game.
Some platforming.
A few boss fights (both the start of them and the end)
That level 1 boss because his appearance is so infamous
The quiz
Demonstrations of different powers

Break down a game like that and then cut what you want together from it. When I watched your video I was thinking, "Where are the other distinctive powers? Why didn't he show the big ghost? Why is there so much footage of the bonus games?" Doing three minutes means a tight focus and I'd advise you work on that.

If you're randomly jumping around longplays then you're not getting video that highlights features or segments of the game. You're not getting a good view of the game.

I've started a video project of my own last night which is going in a completely different direction. It'll be a video that I would be the only person in this thread remotely interested in the subject! :v:

Bomb rear end advice! I'll take that all into consideration when I recut it :)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, that's kinda true but in most cases I personally use longplays to see if I'm gonna play something, and I don't really want so see a compilation of all the game's best moments, just a general idea of what a typical level is like, how smooth the scrolling is, how the game's aesthetic is, how the game mechanics look, etc. I specifically don't want to be spoiled on some awesome setpieces or boss fights.

I think it's just a matter of "people who watch video game videos to vicariously experience entire games" vs. "people who watch video game videos for some general idea if a game appeals to them". Both are totally valid things to do, but I think there are certain types of videos that appeal more to one group or the other and you gotta figure out who you're targeting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

Yeah, that's kinda true but in most cases I personally use longplays to see if I'm gonna play something, and I don't really want so see a compilation of all the game's best moments, just a general idea of what a typical level is like, how smooth the scrolling is, how the game's aesthetic is, how the game mechanics look, etc. I specifically don't want to be spoiled on some awesome setpieces or boss fights.

It's a fair thing to say, but there is difference between "the best parts" (which really should be more than just the snapshots given in this kind of video) and "the most representative parts".

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

d0s posted:

I think it's just a matter of "people who watch video game videos to vicariously experience entire games" vs. "people who watch video game videos for some general idea if a game appeals to them". Both are totally valid things to do, but I think there are certain types of videos that appeal more to one group or the other and you gotta figure out who you're targeting.

You know, that whole not wanting to spoil stuff is the whole reason I mostly only have clips of the levels, and cut away before the clan member shows up. I think I'm going to implement your advice to shorten the clips to about 15 seconds, but I'm going to leave most of the bosses out other than the ones that I have already in there. The main idea was just for people to see if they wanted to play the game, not to feel like they already have. IT IS DECIDED.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I dunoo, I think it looks fine. My only feedback would be to feature at least one (probably only one) death. Dying is a pretty big part of a lot of games. Think of how iconic the original Super Mario Bros death music is.

Well, I guess just about everything about SMB is iconic at this point, but you get the picture.

The first second or two of each video should always be the title screen pressing start/beginning the game and the final moments should be dying or the game over screen.

Boom, I'm copyrighting this patent pending all rights reserved.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

al-azad posted:

The first second or two of each video should always be the title screen pressing start/beginning the game and the final moments should be dying or the game over screen.

Boom, I'm copyrighting this patent pending all rights reserved.

The opening sequence isn't gameplay :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Peenmaster posted:

The opening sequence isn't gameplay :colbert:

The title screen "attract" is just as important as the gameplay so double :colbert: :colbert:

poo poo, that's an idea for a tumblr right there. gifs of title screens/attract modes. I'm sure someone has already done it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

al-azad posted:

The title screen "attract" is just as important as the gameplay so double :colbert: :colbert:

poo poo, that's an idea for a tumblr right there. gifs of title screens/attract modes. I'm sure someone has already done it.

Alright I'll work it in when I recut.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

A few weeks ago I saw a video that was every single NES/Famicom title screen in alphabetical order. I think it was something like three hours long.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOvaSOFLtJU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Peenmaster posted:

Alright I'll work it in when I recut.

That's just my suggestion, do whatever you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't do anything longer than the Contra jingle or maybe the Link to the Past tri-force thing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Guys I disabled the 10Nes chip in an Nintendo I just got. Are the cops gonna come get me? :ohdear:

And is there anything more stressful than doing this for the first time and asking yourself over and over again "am I really, really SURE I've got the right pin?"

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Peenmaster posted:

You know, that whole not wanting to spoil stuff is the whole reason I mostly only have clips of the levels, and cut away before the clan member shows up. I think I'm going to implement your advice to shorten the clips to about 15 seconds, but I'm going to leave most of the bosses out other than the ones that I have already in there. The main idea was just for people to see if they wanted to play the game, not to feel like they already have. IT IS DECIDED.

I'm down with this. I avoid most straight LPs because at that point I've seen the entire game and don't need to play it. Yours seems like a much better format.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Caitlin posted:

This chick, right here. I will straight up watch longplays on cubex55. Depends on the game, though. Sometimes I just put them on to fall asleep to.

I won't pretend that's the norm, though! :v:

I do this all the time. :respek:

I like putting longplays/some of the longer TAS runs up on the projector when I just want some background noise while I clean or whatever.

I have lost track of how many times I've fallen asleep to/watched bits and pieces of the "reverse boss order" Super Metroid run.

e. Cubex's channel is the best, with DerSchmu for my C64 fix.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 7, 2014

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

al-azad posted:

I would love to stumble on something like this. If I wasn't already doing a candy cab blog and nuturing a retro gaming podcast with some friends, I'd be all over it. :swoon:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Greatest NES cold opener of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhtkCmTi9M

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Maybe have the box art and/or title screen in that first second with your "3 minutes of gameplay" logo at the beginning. I think you should show at least part of a boss fight in each video. That's a huge part of gameplay for me. Nothing too spoiler-y though. And deff end on a death. As for game notes you should just have a sentence or two of important bits, then have a longer write-up if you want. That way people get good info without having to click the read more. If you continue this after like a dozen videos do a spoof one of like Tetris or something.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 7, 2014

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

RodShaft posted:

Maybe have the box art and/or title screen in that first second with your "3 minutes of gameplay" logo at the beginning. I think you should show at least part of a boss fight in each video. That's a huge part of gameplay for me. Nothing too spoiler-y though. And deff end on a death. As for game notes you should just have a sentence or two of important bits, then have a longer write-up if you want. That way people get good info without having to click the read more. If you continue this do a spoof one after like a dozen videos of like Tetris or something.

Yeah I'll leave at least 1 boss fight in there. The egypt boss probably because he was the hardest and coolest.

As for games like tetris, I figured at some point I would do a 3 in 1. 3 segments from separate games, 1 minute each. A lot of the more shallow NES/Atari games would pretty much have to be that way.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Hey man, thank you. I'm really proud of this, it's my favorite video game thing I've ever done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc

Unfortunately it also took me about a week to do, and that's an UNEMPLOYED week, so it's not as easy as it looks. I did this as a proof of concept of what I wanted "Let's Play" videos to be, and I think I proved that this is a better format, but the pipeline for actually doing it is rough.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That's the best use of Youtube annotations I've ever seen. It's probably what the designers of the feature originally had in mind when they proposed it.

Gimmick is a wonderful game to watch and admire, but is far too difficult for me to ever sit down and actually enjoy.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Peenmaster posted:

Yeah I'll leave at least 1 boss fight in there. The egypt boss probably because he was the hardest and coolest.

As for games like tetris, I figured at some point I would do a 3 in 1. 3 segments from separate games, 1 minute each. A lot of the more shallow NES/Atari games would pretty much have to be that way.

Liking the video stuff so far man. I think the 3 in 1 thing is a good fairly original idea that could be pretty cool. You could do trios like Tetris/Dr Mario/Yoshi Cookie or something similar.

Quiet Feet posted:

Guys I disabled the 10Nes chip in an Nintendo I just got. Are the cops gonna come get me? :ohdear:

And is there anything more stressful than doing this for the first time and asking yourself over and over again "am I really, really SURE I've got the right pin?"

Dude the first time I did it I must have checked/double checked about 10 times over before making the snip. Turning the NES on and seeing that solid light though, so much satisfaction.

McCracAttack and I worked out a deal for a modded Saturn and it arrived today. No pictures or anything just yet but I'll eventually get some up. Stuff was packaged very nicely and securely, in amazing shape cosmetically, and here in a couple of hours or so I'll test it out to see just how much rear end this kicks. Thanks again so much dude. The last "new system" I got was a CD-i so it's been a while since I've had an enormous library opened up to me. Christmas time!

-- Also whoever posted that link to the video with every Famicom/NES title screen thank you! That sucker is going to get so much background play time it's not even funny.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I figure most of you already know, but Yumi's Odd Odyssey a.k.a Sayonara Umihara Kawase will be out on the NA 3DS eShop on March 20.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 7, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I figure most of you already know, but Yumi's Odd Odyssey a.k.a Sayonara Umihara Kawase will be out on the NA 3DS eShop on March 20.

Real bummer it's not getting a physical release but super hype about it. Now if only they'd bring out that 3DS Karous thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also prefer subtitles/annotations. I did it with Fox Hunt and Incredible Crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_wqG0OHBh8

Subtitles are super easy and can be done in notepad. The annotation interface is clunky but it has the added option of being turned off so there's ups and downs.

The hardest part of a good LP is actually playing the game and doing so well. The editing is a fraction of the time.

• Locked thread