Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I'm concerned for this Michael Wallerstein guy.

Also, question: what is up with the 7 states who don't require law school to pass the bar? Does anyone actually go this route effectively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

semicolonsrock posted:

Also, question: what is up with the 7 states who don't require law school to pass the bar? Does anyone actually go this route effectively?

From what I've heard, it's really rare that it actually happens and the rate of bar passage and employment for these people is pretty low. They're weird laws but they don't really cause any problems so they're still around.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

semicolonsrock posted:

Don't worry, he seems to have landed on his feet by stealing $13 million dollars from an 91 year old with dementia.

http://nypost.com/2012/06/20/tragic-battle-of-will/

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

semicolonsrock posted:

Generally, it requires a supervised 4 year internship/OJT, only one try at the bar exam, and can't get reciprocity elsewhere.

Vermont, New York, Washington, Virginia, California, Maine, and Wyoming have it.

43% bar pass rate vs. 73% pass rate for law school grads.

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/be-a-lawyer-with-no-law-school/

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

NJ Deac posted:

Don't worry, he seems to have landed on his feet by stealing $13 million dollars from an 91 year old with dementia.

http://nypost.com/2012/06/20/tragic-battle-of-will/

Holy poo poo -- that explains what they meant when they said they were able to live rent free in exchange for helping an elderly neighbor. Weird.

joat mon posted:

Generally, it requires a supervised 4 year internship/OJT, only one try at the bar exam, and can't get reciprocity elsewhere.

Vermont, New York, Washington, Virginia, California, Maine, and Wyoming have it.

43% bar pass rate vs. 73% pass rate for law school grads.

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/be-a-lawyer-with-no-law-school/

Interesting, that seems like it would be very helpful for getting more public interest lawyers if it happened more often. Would be more fun if it just took passing the bar though :(

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Man, why can't I find a 91 year old with $13 million?

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
Ahhh the beginning of the month. Send out bills, receive condescending emails from clients that are angry that you actually expect them to pay you for the work you do.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Keith Mars posted:

Ahhh the beginning of the month. Send out bills, receive condescending emails from clients that are angry that you actually expect them to pay you for the work you do.

But if you get paid, tonight you can eat like the lower middle class to which you aspire!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

But if you get paid, tonight you can eat like the lower middle class to which you aspire!

Weird, I just watched this for the first time the other day :spooky:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mastershakeman posted:

I feel so bad for that multi-mega-millionaire.
Kirkland makes (almost) everyone a partner. Partner there means less than most other places.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
In VA, I think it survives for like Smith, Smith, Smith & Smith to send Smith #5 to the bar without having to go through law school first. The only way a non-law school lawyer exists after passing the bar is if they have a family job already lined up. I suspect they weed out non-legacy applicants at the character and fitness examination.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

gvibes posted:

Kirkland makes (almost) everyone a partner. Partner there means less than most other places.
Yeah, being a senior associate is lovely even if you're called a "partner".

Moreover, Kirkland partner (real partner) comp is closely tied to the business those partners originate, so even making equity partner doesn't give you the comp or security that you'd have as partner at a lockstep firm.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Soothing Vapors posted:

I had to google this. I gotta say god :drat:, you're good.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Keith Mars posted:

I'm in-house and I have to contest bills all the time and it is horrible. It's hard to get the business side to appreciate that good lawyering takes time.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Keith Mars posted:

I had to google this. I gotta say god :drat:, you're good.

R ... really?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Really, I am good, yes

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Keith Mars posted:

I had my first chew-out phone call from a client who accused me of being a crook because he gave his approval for an office action response and then tried to take it back the next day after I had already finished because "I'm not sure I want to keep putting money into this." It was a first office action!

"HOW CAN YOU BILL EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS IN ONE DAY?!" :qq:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Elotana posted:

I had my first chew-out phone call from a client who accused me of being a crook because he gave his approval for an office action response and then tried to take it back the next day after I had already finished because "I'm not sure I want to keep putting money into this." It was a first office action!

"HOW CAN YOU BILL EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS IN ONE DAY?!" :qq:

Only eight hundred for an office action response? You aren't charging enough.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah 800 wouldn't even cover analysis alone for us.

Although we have clients calling our billing "outrageous" on a semi-regular basis.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Kalman posted:

Only eight hundred for an office action response? You aren't charging enough.
Technically, we bill $1500 (on the absolute low end for a simple one-reference response), but my partner is a goddamn pushover and told me to only charge for the actual four hours I spent, I guess under the theory that if he's waffling on a first response we'd scare him off or something if I said "no take-backs motherfucker" and he still wailed on me before agreeing to pay.

I want out of prosecution so badly :smith:

Elotana fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 6, 2014

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Elotana posted:

Well, you're in luck, because it's time for another :siren: ISLAND LAW JOB! :siren:

Presiding Judge Naraja of the CNMI Superior Court (the trial court) is looking for a clerk. Like Palau, the weather is nice, there are plenty of places to go diving, you won't pay federal income taxes, and you'll drink beer on the beach at least once a week. Unlike Palau, Saipan has wi-fi at reasonable prices (although it usually goes down during rainstorms).

Link to the posting is here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, someone needs to jump on that even more than the Palau one.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

Whoever was asking about submitting an academic piece for publication, now is the window to submit to journals for the Spring cycle. If you have not already submitted your article, you should do so within the next two weeks. Sooner, rather than later.
It wasn't addressed to me, but thanks for the advice on timing - it gave me some extra motivation to wrap things up, and I just got an offer on my article.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Congrats! :)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Elotana posted:

Technically, we bill $1500 (on the absolute low end for a simple one-reference response), but my partner is a goddamn pushover and told me to only charge for the actual four hours I spent, I guess under the theory that if he's waffling on a first response we'd scare him off or something if I said "no take-backs motherfucker" and he still wailed on me before agreeing to pay.

This is why I prefer to have soulless giant companies as clients.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfACTAOPa0

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Normally I enjoy sending people's ex parte stuff back to them along with a little letter. Today, though, I had to do five of them and there wasn't anything distinguishing to make it interesting. It was just changing the address information and "to" line.

It's no fun being the resident Sir Humphrey when it's just filling in blanks. I enjoy writing that letter. It's the little personal touch that makes it worthwhile.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Have the proposed IBR changes been linked in this thread yet?

http://www.edcentral.org/obama-administration-announces-major-reforms-income-based-repayment/

The 2015 budget caps the 10-year public service debt forgiveness at 57k, and your spouse's income now counts when determining eligibility/payments. On the upside, forgiveness would no longer count as taxable income.

This is all just WH proposals, so who knows what will actually get through Congress. (Murphy's law: Probably just the first two.)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Elotana posted:

Have the proposed IBR changes been linked in this thread yet?

http://www.edcentral.org/obama-administration-announces-major-reforms-income-based-repayment/

The 2015 budget caps the 10-year public service debt forgiveness at 57k, and your spouse's income now counts when determining eligibility/payments. On the upside, forgiveness would no longer count as taxable income.

This is all just WH proposals, so who knows what will actually get through Congress. (Murphy's law: Probably just the first two.)
If the 57k cap goes through it's going to be brutal.

All of my friends who took government jobs did so with the understanding that forgiveness would apply to all of their debt, so they've only made minimum payments since graduation. They're now unemployable as private sector attorneys (it's highly unlikely, for example, that a patent firm would hire a patent examiner who has spent more than a few years post-graduation at the USPTO) and their jobs don't provide them with the income necessary to actually pay down $100-200k of debt at 7% interest.

Since this a WH proposal, can congressional democrats be expected to support it? If this passes, my friends are screwed. Maybe it's time for them to seek citizenship elsewhere.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 7, 2014

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
https://www.facebook.com/notes/divine-pharaoh/a-scenario-for-a-utopian-society/939453186184

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ersatz posted:

If the 57k cap goes through it's going to be brutal.

All of my friends who took government jobs did so with the understanding that forgiveness would apply to all of their debt, so they've only made minimum payments since graduation. They're now unemployable as private sector attorneys (it's highly unlikely, for example, that a patent firm would hire a patent examiner who has spent more than a few years post-graduation at the USPTO) and their jobs don't provide them with the income necessary to actually pay down $100-200k of debt at 7% interest.

Since this a WH proposal, can congressional democrats be expected to support it? If so, my friends are screwed.

Would people who've already borrowed be grandfathered or not? It doesn't say.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MoFauxHawk posted:

Since affordable education is apparently not a priority for the administration, I kind of doubt it.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 7, 2014

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I'd settle for a safety net that allows the under-and-unemployed to live with dignity. Which is actually possible with the resources we have now. A guaranteed minimum income, for example, would do the job, although it's not politically feasible. The U.S. has moved so far right that even Hayek appears radically left.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 7, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MoFauxHawk posted:

Haha if my wife finds out about these changes she will literally divorce me and take our child, leaving me to struggle to pay my debts with my lovely public interest salary. Thanks Obama!

Edit: in hindsight that was an overreaction. There are plenty of reasons to leave me beyond my crushing school debt.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 7, 2014

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Haha if my wife finds out about these changes she will literally divorce me and take our child, leaving me to struggle to pay my debts with my lovely public interest salary. Thanks Obama!

Edit: in hindsight that was an overreaction. There are plenty of reasons to leave me beyond my crushing school debt.

Like Congress will actually pass a budget.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Roger_Mudd posted:

Like Congress will actually pass a budget.

Crossing my fingers for the continued stalemate. :ohdear:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The cap is 57k for the 10 year forgiveness, but it looks like 25 year forgiveness is uncapped? I mean, still lovely, but it's a big difference.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

EdCentral posted:

The changes also exacerbated a loophole in the student loan program where schools combine the unlimited benefits of Public Service Loan Forgiveness with unlimited borrowing under the Grad PLUS program to capture windfall taxpayer subsidies for . . . their graduate and professional students.
gently caress me - yes university spending is out of control, but making it possible for capable students to become scholars and professionals is not providing them with a "windfall"; it's enabling them to contribute to society instead of being locked into a lifetime of trivial bullshit labor.

lol, the "Georgetown Law loophole." :patriot:

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ersatz posted:

gently caress me - yes university spending is out of control, but making it possible for capable students to become scholars and professionals is not providing them with a "windfall"; it's enabling them to contribute to society instead of being locked into a lifetime of trivial bullshit labor.

lol, the "Georgetown Law loophole." :patriot:

Was i really able to borrow unlimited money? I should have invested it all in bitcoin.