Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Is the new version going to be all about bootstraping like the original comic strip?

I haven't read the original comics or seen the musical, but it's hilarious to me that a story about a kid, adopted by an insanely rich person, doing good is supposed to be about how you can make it on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read the original comics or seen the musical, but it's hilarious to me that a story about a kid, adopted by an insanely rich person, doing good is supposed to be about how you can make it on your own.

Its all about how good capitalism is, and when FDR was elected Daddy Warbucks was killed off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its all about how good capitalism is, and when FDR was elected Daddy Warbucks was killed off.

I understand that, it's just hilarious to me that people think it's a good example of self-determination. Was the original musical like that? I'm assuming they're going to subvert the idea of bootstrapping yourself from nothing in the new one, just because of the people involved.

Also pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps is physically impossible, so it's mind-boggling to me that the term is used in any non-derogatory sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I understand that, it's just hilarious to me that people think it's a good example of self-determination. Was the original musical like that? I'm assuming they're going to subvert the idea of bootstrapping yourself from nothing in the new one, just because of the people involved.

Also pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps is physically impossible, so it's mind-boggling to me that the term is used in any non-derogatory sense.

No the musical was pro-FDR and helping the poor. I am happy to say it properly caused him to spin in his grave.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

No the musical was pro-FDR and helping the poor. I am happy to say it properly caused him to spin in his grave.

Good, because I can't think how a story about a millionaire adopting a poor orphan comes away saying that the state does too much for poor people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

He's talking about this version.

That song is 16 years old now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

That song is 16 years old now.

He's released fourteen albums since Hard Knock Life.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

gently caress you all, so old.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
It looks like a fairly straight forward re-telling of the original film but in a modern setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njZ9j1WLKWM

I think it looks fun, but that might be the songs I grew up listening to hoodwinking me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It looks like a fairly straight forward re-telling of the original film but in a modern setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njZ9j1WLKWM

I think it looks fun, but that might be the songs I grew up listening to hoodwinking me.

It does look really close to the original, but just updated. Which is kind of the most boring thing they could have done with it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I am thoroughly charmed by that cast, despite really not liking Annie and believing that the cast is the only thing that makes the original worth watching. Or maybe because of that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skwirl posted:

The reason why it sounds ridiculous is that the original quote states (totally paraphrasing here) that "raising yourself up from the level of abject poverty to that of wealth and status is as difficult as lifting oneself up by one's bootstraps". In other words, the original quote is saying that going from rags to riches is literally impossible. The way it's used now is the exact opposite of the saying's original intent.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

:effort:

Oh, it comes out in a month? Is there any sort of hype towards this? Does anyone care?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kush posted:

Oh, it comes out in a month? Is there any sort of hype towards this? Does anyone care?

90% of the times I heard of this movie was "Nolan's usual cinematographer is working on his directorial debut."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here's a trailer for it that has a bit more footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMlxCijOisQ

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Dark Shadows Production Budget: $150 million/Gross Worldwide: $245,527,149 Domestic: $79,727,149
Lone Ranger Production Budget: $215 million/Gross Worldwide: $260,502,115 Domestic: $89,302,115
The Tourist Production Budget: $100 million/Gross Worldwide: $278,346,189 Domestic: $67,631,157

I didn't realize the rest of the world loved Johnny Depp so much. It seems like everything that he does that isn't Pirates or Tim Burton does horribly in the US.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Gonz posted:

Here's a trailer for it that has a bit more footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMlxCijOisQ

Oof. The Lawnmower Man 2k14.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The Tourist was so hatefully, hatefully bad.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

echoplex posted:

The Tourist was so hatefully, hatefully bad.

In film school a student showed that movie to the class as the reason he considered going to film school. The reason boiled down to Venice and pretty actors. Not cinematography, just the city. Alright.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kush posted:

90s technothrillers are back baby!

:barf:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

zenintrude posted:

90s technothrillers are back baby!

:barf:

Johnny Mnemonic is fantastic you fucker

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

In film school a student showed that movie to the class as the reason he considered going to film school. The reason boiled down to Venice and pretty actors. Not cinematography, just the city. Alright.

I had a guy do this with Burton's Willy Wonka. His reasoning was that he likes it "when he applies his style to remakes" and that he didn't like his "original films". Film students are hilarious.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well I broke down and bought the Back to the Future 2 Durieux poster on eBay. I have to have it to match the part 1 poster!

Anyway I got it for a song compared to what people were listing there's for. The seller had it marked as "used/new" instead of "Mint" so everyone was staying away from it. I talked to him and he assured me it was in perfect condition. Sure enough I got it and it was mint PLUS one of the signed versions (I don't think the Mondo purchases have even shipped yet). It's gorgeous but goddamn trying to put those posters in a frame with one person. Those things are so loving thick that, once rolled, it's nearly impossible to unroll them with just two hands without the poster wanting to fold and crease back on itself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, you have to lay it down with some books/anything heavy for a hour or so to make it easy to frame. I have a couple Mondo prints sitting at my desk still rolled up that I know are gonna be a bitch when I finally frame em. I hope some more Disney stuff gets out there - I am hoping they do Aladdin.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012

Alouicious posted:

Johnny Mnemonic is fantastic you fucker
A truth has been spoken

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kush posted:

I'm really sick by now of

CENTERED TEXT

OVER

A FACE

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

I'm really sick by now of

CENTERED TEXT

OVER

A FACE

What poster started this trend, out of curiosity?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Pigbuster posted:

Probably The Social Network.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Pigbuster posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ariza posted:

Dark Shadows Production Budget: $150 million/Gross Worldwide: $245,527,149 Domestic: $79,727,149
Lone Ranger Production Budget: $215 million/Gross Worldwide: $260,502,115 Domestic: $89,302,115
The Tourist Production Budget: $100 million/Gross Worldwide: $278,346,189 Domestic: $67,631,157

I didn't realize the rest of the world loved Johnny Depp so much. It seems like everything that he does that isn't Pirates or Tim Burton does horribly in the US.

Dark Shadows was Tim Burton.

In it's defense, that was a pretty great poster that tells you a lot about what you need to know about the film.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Skwirl posted:

In it's defense, that was a pretty great poster that tells you a lot about what you need to know about the film.

It wasn't a problem until loving everybody started to do the same thing.
Same thing with the BRRRRMMM sound effect from Inception that every other action movie trailer started to use as well.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Franz von Dada posted:

It wasn't a problem until loving everybody started to do the same thing.
Same thing with the BRRRRMMM sound effect from Inception that every other action movie trailer started to use as well.

Hell, the new Transformers trailer is using the loving BRRRRRMMMM

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The Inception sound in trailers doesn't bother me nearly as much as the cutting to black between every. single. shot.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Michael Clayton did it before.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The question was what popularized the trend though. There were 3 years between Michael Clayton and The Social Network. There was just one year between TSN and Thor.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kush posted:

...:sigh: We had so many awesome, compelling posters to choose from. It's getting harder and harder to hold my tongue re: Alcon.

It's an intriguing film after the boring first 1/3.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

The question was what popularized the trend though. There were 3 years between Michael Clayton and The Social Network. There was just one year between TSN and Thor.

I don't know I kinda like this one. "The God of Thunder" is badass enough to be splayed across somebody's face.

That Johnny Depp poster is pure filth though.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Here's how you make a good throwback poster:

This is coming out later this year- and NOT for some 80's slasher.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
There's also this one, posted earlier in the thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Automatic Jill posted:

A truth has been spoken

Johnny Mnemonic is like the second best cyberpunk movie.