Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That UI and the fact he is clicking everything. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

suuma posted:

That UI and the fact he is clicking everything. :negative:

That's just hardmode

Edit: So kiting this way, you just eat the 50% damage loss from DOTS on a running mob?

Devor fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 7, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Edit - found the video, he's iirc in raid gear so it'll probably take you a few more dots per mob, but the technique is exactly the same. Keep whisperwind handy for when something resists snare, so you can blink away before it destroys you. Getting hit is pretty close to death every time. He's at the southern tip of Beast Domain, west past the naeya fields, where all the tree stumps are. Tree stumps take the extra plant damage from corruption dots, so you want to hit as many plants as possible. That's why CoB and Evantil are so good too. His BD area is great to learn because the stumps are spread pretty far apart and static. If you see a bigger stump roaming around, that's a named that will WRECK YO poo poo so stay away :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VetahhJzvzg

Arrow key movement! Clicking everything!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
When kiting outdoors with a caster, do you use a horse for the speed / extra medding when sitting still briefly, or does the horse mess up casting too much by the acceleration?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Devor posted:

When kiting outdoors with a caster, do you use a horse for the speed / extra medding when sitting still briefly, or does the horse mess up casting too much by the acceleration?

Horses suck. You gain very little from medding while in combat, and several classes lose very important things while on a horse. FD and wolf form being the major two.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Plus you lose fine movement, I could never imagine kiting on a horse and enjoying it. Plus like jetz0r said. Horses are for travel and afk caster bots. :colbert:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
You don't need the speed of a horse as a necro (snare) nor the mana regen (deathbloom), plus like everyone else said, horses are just awful unless you're sitting in one place in a group. Kiting on a horse is just a nightmare period

The 50% damage loss from dots no longer exists. The only class that loses damage by a non-stationary mob is ranger bows now (I think, I know they do and necros don't). Dunno when they changed it, but it's been a while because my necro never suffered from it at all.

Also yeah that guy's UI/playstyle is :gonk: but his kiting technique is pretty easy to follow for people new to necro'ing

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Eh yeah some of your one-off long cooldown buttons I can understand, but not having your spell/main combat abilities bound to key is pretty dang goofy.

Dude knows how to necro though.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Trust me, speaking as a class with all 10 hotbars full and most of them needed pretty regularly, I have hotkeys out the rear end and I can't imagine just clicking everything, but that video taught me to necro cuz dude has his poo poo down even though it's hilarious watching him clicking everything ever :v:

He'd probably somewhere like 10% higher on the dps charts than Garionn in raids, but that necro grind strat is legit if you just want xp fast

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Oh god. I feel the itch. I was clean for years, but I still have a level 57 SK sitting around. That was reasonably close to max level back when I quit, then I played some months for free in 2011 or so.

Last time I came back I read that that after a certain point, some classes need a fair investment in AA abilities to keep being able to solo, but I can't remember if Mercs existed yet at that point. So my question is, if I were to pick my SK back up, is there a level range/zone where I should settle in to grind out AA points before continuing, or what?

I think I only had some pretty basic AA investment - run speed, health regen (because trolls...can never regen enough?? That was when the AA system was brand new :downs:) and perhaps a point or two in class specifics.

I remember even after they added the Plane of Knowledge, having a pre-nerf Circlet of Shadow was super convenient, but from what I read the game is a lot less tightfisted about conveniences these days :v:

Edit: I never multiboxed before, when I was playing the game for real I was young and poor and only had the one account, but now...is a free/silver account viable for multiboxing? I'd probably still have trouble justifying two running subscriptions to myself :v:

Hm, last time I played I had to find out Innoruuk was merged into The Nameless, now that was merged into Erollisi Marr. Good to know.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 7, 2014

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Devor posted:

That's just hardmode

Edit: So kiting this way, you just eat the 50% damage loss from DOTS on a running mob?

I thought the 50% thing lasted about 6 month in 2002?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Psykmoe posted:

Last time I came back I read that that after a certain point, some classes need a fair investment in AA abilities to keep being able to solo, but I can't remember if Mercs existed yet at that point. So my question is, if I were to pick my SK back up, is there a level range/zone where I should settle in to grind out AA points before continuing, or what?

Good news! If you have a gold account on a production server, or play on test server, you will get your AA maxed out at every level up to 85 automatically. No more grinding AA at lower levels!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Vomik posted:

I thought the 50% thing lasted about 6 month in 2002?

Sure doesn't exist anymore. Rangers don't get double damage from mobs that're running to I guess prevent them from using their bow as a really effortless dot, but it's pretty easy to see for yourself that actual dots aren't affected at all

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Sure doesn't exist anymore. Rangers don't get double damage from mobs that're running to I guess prevent them from using their bow as a really effortless dot, but it's pretty easy to see for yourself that actual dots aren't affected at all

I wanna say it got put in around Kunark era, and lasted for quite a few years, but I don't remember when they did away with it. I remember lots of druids (including me) learning to quad-kite around that time.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
This is possibly false, but I seem to remember when they put in that change and it lasted about a year. The problem was, if the mob moved at all (say, from weapon or spell push) it triggered the 'drop 50% damage' part of the code and necro damage was somewhat reduced on raids. I think it was also pointed out that at the time it was faster to get a group and XP, so they reverted it to let people be competitive.

Or it might have been bards only, it was something weird anyways. I just looked at allakhazam and the spdat apparently still has 'if target is not moving' tacked on to the end of bard PB AE damage for some spells.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Goldmund posted:

Good news! If you have a gold account on a production server, or play on test server, you will get your AA maxed out at every level up to 85 automatically. No more grinding AA at lower levels!

As a corollary to this - you should play on Test. Even on live, grouping is pretty dead in the level ranges you're looking at. So Test is perfect for coming back and farting around, checking out some new AA's for free, and then quitting again.

Especially if you want to try out multiboxing - you can make infinite free accounts that will all automatically have Gold status on Test.

If you want to play "for real" with raiding at level 100 and playing the Auction House and whatnot, Live may be for you. But for coming back and dipping your toes in, Test is best.

You log in on live with your character, type /testcopy, hit 'yes' on the confirmation, wait til you see the 'success' message in the chat box, then log out. Restart the patcher, change 'Game Version' to test, log in again, and poof now you have Gold status, you exp faster, and you can jumpstart new characters to 25 ~automatically~ via /testbuff.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
'It could've affected bards' could potentially be every patch. If the code for bards sucked that bad back then...

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Stanos posted:

'It could've affected bards' could potentially be every patch. If the code for bards sucked that bad back then...

I remember back I think either during the Kunark or Velious era, a patch to something unrelated made Bards unable to use songs at all.

Could've affected bards indeed.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Psykmoe posted:

I remember back I think either during the Kunark or Velious era, a patch to something unrelated made Bards unable to use songs at all.

Could've affected bards indeed.

The game was so amazingly different back then. I remember swapping out my weapons/instruments on the fly so that I would be holding the right drum/string instrument when I sang the relevant songs.

And one of the major draws for having a bard was the regen song adding like 12 or 13 hp/mana per tick. HELL YEAH, SLIGHTLY LESS MEDDING, BRING HIM ON.

And not being able to meditate without having your spellbook open [blocking your entire screen] until level 35... Jesus, this game had a horrible quality of life back in the day.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Man I remember my first ever character back in 99, a druid, hitting 35 at the FM giant fort and no longer needing to stare at the book. I logged him out 20 minutes later because I'd won the game and made the monk I played for 8 years after :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Devor posted:

The game was so amazingly different back then. I remember swapping out my weapons/instruments on the fly so that I would be holding the right drum/string instrument when I sang the relevant songs.

And one of the major draws for having a bard was the regen song adding like 12 or 13 hp/mana per tick. HELL YEAH, SLIGHTLY LESS MEDDING, BRING HIM ON.

And not being able to meditate without having your spellbook open [blocking your entire screen] until level 35... Jesus, this game had a horrible quality of life back in the day.

I was a superstar Bard...I could twist 4-5 songs swapping out the appropriate instruments, I was on top of the world.

Then /melody came and lowered my usefulness...then Defiant armor came with instrument modifiers on it and the need to swap out instruments become much less important.

You kids these days don't know how well you have it. :D

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Naw, bard is pretty much a joke class now. Nobody plays a bard. They are extremely useful and saught after for groups but incredibly boring to play now.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Speaking of boring to play, for some extremely dumb reason I PL'd another SK to swarm grounds with, now I swap them out between cooldowns to keep the 6 minute respawn entrance under wraps, so anyone wanting PL'd holla at yo boo Passenger.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Goldmund posted:

I wanna say it got put in around Kunark era, and lasted for quite a few years, but I don't remember when they did away with it.

It was put in Septemeber 13th, 1999 (so a little bit pre-Kunark) and removed July 24, 2002.

Also, it was 66% damage, not 50%.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Midnight City posted:

Speaking of boring to play, for some extremely dumb reason I PL'd another SK to swarm grounds with, now I swap them out between cooldowns to keep the 6 minute respawn entrance under wraps, so anyone wanting PL'd holla at yo boo Passenger.

You really have beaten the game at this point. Yikes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

So how's the feerott neo-newbie zone for new heroic characters?

When I think of throwing a brand new player into that zone is endless deaths from getting plowed over in 8 seconds.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Anyone using a VM for their everquest?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Do not use a VM for Everquest. It will get you banned.

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Sadly SOE frowns on this and will ban you if they catch you.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

jetz0r posted:

So how's the feerott neo-newbie zone for new heroic characters?

When I think of throwing a brand new player into that zone is endless deaths from getting plowed over in 8 seconds.

I'd imagine it'd have to be toned down or there's a lot of weak con mobs in there since the feerott sucks rear end for roamers. Also it's dark and dreary.

And they aren't kidding about the VM thing by the way, that's probably the one rule they're hard and fast on. Apparently something about how VMs make it easier to use cheats/hacks on the game. They have flags for it according to Piestro.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
That's kind of crazy, in my job now we use VMs for drat near everything and don't ever use our host machines. They are becoming pretty ubiquitous.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
SOE is just super-sensitive about Skynet going active under their watch. Farming platinum and then selling it for money to raise a mercenary army is basically how the terminator is going to get its start.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

They already made the snakes in ferrot2 slightly weaker. The made a bunch of hot t2 stuff weaker too.

Yeah the VM thing is weird because I think they are pretty loose on WINE. I don't know how VMs are done but if you can easily change memory in them it essentially becomes cheat engine. Which, if anything important is done clientside then lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

darkhand posted:

They already made the snakes in ferrot2 slightly weaker. The made a bunch of hot t2 stuff weaker too.

Yeah the VM thing is weird because I think they are pretty loose on WINE. I don't know how VMs are done but if you can easily change memory in them it essentially becomes cheat engine. Which, if anything important is done clientside then lol

I bet it's some kind of company wide policy, cause it makes zero sense for EQ itself. The level of effort someone has to go through to 'hack' EQ via VM is way above the level needed to use the widely known EQ cheat program that is nearly undetectable.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

jetz0r posted:

I bet it's some kind of company wide policy, cause it makes zero sense for EQ itself. The level of effort someone has to go through to 'hack' EQ via VM is way above the level needed to use the widely known EQ cheat program that is nearly undetectable.

From what I understand digging through threads, the issue actually stems from an issue where VMware is inadvertently triggering watchdog programs, both when used as a hypervisor or even running in parallel with eq on the same base metal OS. While Virtualization isn't technically against TOS they're using the ubiquitous "3rd party program" designation to justify inadvertent auto-bans for people using VMs even though it's unintentional. This is why you'll find constant references to people being told that they were banned for "we're not telling".

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Man I remember my first ever character back in 99, a druid, hitting 35 at the FM giant fort and no longer needing to stare at the book. I logged him out 20 minutes later because I'd won the game and made the monk I played for 8 years after :allears:

Hah, I don't know what it is exactly, but I know so many launch druids that rerolled monks back then. I got my druid to 60, camped a fungi tunic and a few knuckle dusters, and then switched to my iksar monk fulltime.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's an argument right now on the P99 server over the real 2hand slash animation for Iksars. Can anyone on live turn on classic models and swing a 2hander and post it on youtube? People are claiming the P99 animation is off and I think it is too. I remember both hands swinging the sword.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

You know EQ1 is f2p? You can install it and run around with an iksar war/sk till you find a rusty 2h weapon.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Psykmoe posted:

Edit: I never multiboxed before, when I was playing the game for real I was young and poor and only had the one account, but now...is a free/silver account viable for multiboxing? I'd probably still have trouble justifying two running subscriptions to myself :v:
A silver account is very viable for a long, long time, even as a main account. For fun, I boxed up a four-box set (SK, enc, cleric, druid) to the high 50's (got bored for reasons unrelated to it being F2P and went back to Monk again), and it was absolutely fine to play. You can choose any race/class, have unlimited platinum, full inventory, shared bank, etc. The nag screens are no biggie - one upon logging in, then one more at a random point of time during your session.

The biggest bummer is the lack of auto-grant AA. This shouldn't annoy you much as a fresh returning player, but for those of us who have grinded thousands of AAs throughout time on other characters, it's quite unbearable now to have to stop and grind AAs through the dreary 60's and 70's. Alternatively, play on Test and go nuts with Gold accounts. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Rand alPaul posted:

There's an argument right now on the P99 server over the real 2hand slash animation for Iksars. Can anyone on live turn on classic models and swing a 2hander and post it on youtube? People are claiming the P99 animation is off and I think it is too. I remember both hands swinging the sword.

Iksars swing two handed swords with one hand in a casual flick maneuver. Anyone who uses new model Iksars are literally subhuman.

Also there's nothing in the patch notes but they severely nerfed SK mortal coil proc last night on Test, all the other SKs are flipping out over it. I'm now lucky to get it to proc after 10-15 mobs with over 400 Hdex.