Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The question is who are these people who pay actual money for video game weapons, and boxes that hypothetically contain video game weapons. Thanks for your help.

People with disposable income (me :negative:) and/or people who stole their parents credit cards (not me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

If you play a lot and sell new cases you can make a lot of money for steam purposes

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wouldn't a Silver 1 be as rare as a Global Elite or am I confusing Elo with grading on a curve?

I've seen lots of Silver 2s, I have never seen a Silver I. I really want to see one someday, even at Silver 4 / Silver Elite we see teams that do poo poo like all buy Scouts without armor after losing pistol round, throw smoke at chokes and then immediately charge through it, and all sorts of crazy stuff like that.

I think if I ever make it to Nova I'm going to miss the variety. I see all the guns in the game used very regularly in Silver, and frequently people just don't buy armor ever so free pistols remain incredibly deadly throughout the game.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I need four other people to purchase alt accounts with me for knives only matchmaking. We will find the Silver 1's, for we will become them

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Jeza posted:

If it is static, you would expect there to actually be more Global Elite than Silver 1 just by simple fact that over time players improve.

I've been playing CS since 2002 and I am living proof that your hypothesis is incorrect.

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

a slime posted:

I need four other people to purchase alt accounts with me for knives only matchmaking. We will find the Silver 1's, for we will become them

Let's do it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

a slime posted:

I will do this

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I really want to do this. I wish I could buy an alt off someone for the $4 price it was on sale, though.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

a slime posted:

Pretty sure you'd still be above silver 1. I play knife only all the time and it's really not even hard if you use grenades. I guess if you ONLY used a knife you might be able to make it, but I think you'd still have to try to be pretty lovely. At silver ranks it's pretty easy to close distance and knife people who literally cannot hit a moving target 20ft in front of them except for the occasional lucky spray.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

So IEM Katowice is next week. Y'all want to do another fantasy bracket like we did with DreamHack 2013? If we get enough interest and I set it up over the weekend we should be able to do more this time around and not just preds the final four.

In other news: http://tindeck.com/listen/jmjw

So hilarious, because being frustrated at moronic changes obviously makes me an aspie.

a slime posted:

Please keep posting so that Prost can do another read

I don't see what's entertaining about listening to a recording of someone reading a post with an aspergers-like voice, but I guess that's to be expected.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 7, 2014

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Please keep posting so that Prost can do another read

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Dvsilverwing posted:

So hilarious, because being frustrated at moronic changes obviously makes me an aspie.

It's a video game bro, hit the dabber and chill

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

down with slavery posted:

It's a video game bro, hit the dabber and chill

bring back penguinho :(:(:(

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
reposting from McVeys twitter feed

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/07/building-crown-part-one-the-first-look-at-the-next-big-counter-strike-go-competitive-map/
Building Crown is a three part series from mapmaker Shawn "FMPONE” Snelling and pro Counter-Strike player/mapmaker Sal "VOLCANO" Garozzo, revealing the inspiration and building process for their upcoming map Crown. Their goal with Crown is simple: build the best competitive Counter-Strike map ever. In part one, Snelling dives into the inspiration for Crown's design and the essence of a great competitive map.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The creators of Cache have built a new comp-oriented map together, de_crown, and are running a three-part development diary on PC Gamer's site leading up to its release on the 18th.

FMPONE posted:

Cache also influenced Crown substantially, but not how you might expect. Because Cache places so much emphasis on its middle area, Volcano told me that he wanted to create a map that went in the opposite direction completely: a map without a traditional middle.

This made me nervous. When Terrorists plant the bomb in one of two bombsites, any Counter-Terrorists on the other side of the map have to either rotate to that bombsite or flank around and kill any Terrorists in the area, while the bomb is still ticking, before they can try to defuse it. A map without a middle means there is no central path allowing the CTs to get to the ticking bomb more quickly.

Rotating on Crown is a special, stressful challenge. Entire Terrorist teams will have to either barge into one bombsite, or split up to create confusing diversions in both. Counter-Terrorists will need to predict the Terrorists' intent, or rotating will be down-to-the-wire or futile.

No other map used in competitive play will place as much emphasis on rotation, and I think the consequence of this will be game-defining sieges or Alamo-style defenses. It’s going to be do-or-die from start to finish, and individual players will need to come up big for their team. Or their team will lose. For these reasons, we are confident Crown will place equal emphasis on skill and strategic play.
EDIT: Beaten, but mine's fancier!

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Dvsilverwing posted:

What changes

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 7, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

quote:

No other map used in competitive play will place as much emphasis on rotation

I can already hear the tears flowing

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Barehanded Brother posted:

I've been playing CS since 2002 and I am living proof that your hypothesis is incorrect.

Don't be too hard on yourself buddy. At the very least, you're (probably) not getting any worse, right?

*arthritis sets in*

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

a slime posted:

AND MY KNIFE

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Prost should be the only person who posts in this thread.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

down with slavery posted:

I can already hear the tears flowing

It sounds nice for high level/competitive play but a complete loving nightmare for random matchmaking/pickup games.

FMPONE
Feb 14, 2013

Level Designer Dude
Can't wait to show you guys what we've been up to.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Babyface Mingo posted:

Prost should be the only person who posts in this thread.

Daeno can also post

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

The Kins posted:

a map without a traditional middle

I generally find that maps without middles (at least in other competitive games) are very CT sided. The easiest way to balance them is usually to add forks for Ts near their objectives/bomb-sites, but CTs usually have an easier time rotating and pinning players down, and in a game like CS where kills are traded rapidly, it might be entirely ignored as a map due to how difficult it is to get a successful rush round.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what they make.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

reposting from McVeys twitter feed

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/07/building-crown-part-one-the-first-look-at-the-next-big-counter-strike-go-competitive-map/
Building Crown is a three part series from mapmaker Shawn "FMPONE” Snelling and pro Counter-Strike player/mapmaker Sal "VOLCANO" Garozzo, revealing the inspiration and building process for their upcoming map Crown. Their goal with Crown is simple: build the best competitive Counter-Strike map ever. In part one, Snelling dives into the inspiration for Crown's design and the essence of a great competitive map.

What is mcveys twitter name

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Ernie. posted:

I generally find that maps without middles (at least in other competitive games) are very CT sided. The easiest way to balance them is usually to add forks for Ts near their objectives/bomb-sites, but CTs usually have an easier time rotating and pinning players down, and in a game like CS where kills are traded rapidly, it might be entirely ignored as a map due to how difficult it is to get a successful rush round.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what they make.

The only map without a real mid I can think of is underpass, are there any others?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

FMPONE posted:

You're maps are amazing and make me wish I hadn't given up map making back in 2007.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

a slime posted:

I'd be totally up for this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Holding a garbage position at A site to cover cat?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

teagone posted:

Holding a garbage position at A site to cover cat?

It's not like you actually go there at the start of a round to watch cat. Not saying it's the best spot to hold ever, but it's a convenient location to have when you need it. I don't think I've ever heard it discussed in too much detail in this thread, and I never see any of the typical whining threads on the CS:GO posted about this spot, so I just don't understand what possessed them to make such an unnecessary change.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 7, 2014

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
"a map without a traditional middle."

Just name it de_chokepoint.

DareToSlack posted:

I've got somewhere north of a $1000 CS inventory

Your inventory is legit incredible. I have no issue with people who drop $ for cosmetics in games they enjoy. I made my pretend money fortune off flipping knifes and making really slanted trades, then just got the poo poo I wanted.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 7, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Xenaero posted:

"a map without a traditional middle."

Just name it de_chokepoint.

Your inventory is legit incredible. I have no issue with people who drop $ for cosmetics in games they enjoy. I made my pretend money fortune off flipping knifes and making really slanted trades, then just got the poo poo I wanted.

Yeah that might be the only inventory that I envy. I have a lot of that stuff, stattraks of all the competitive weapons (a non-stattrak) knife that I love, but you have a lot of other poo poo. Like Xen, I don't have much of an issue with people that spend money on cosmetics, it makes it more enjoyable having something to strive for, I don't know that I'd outright buy 300 dollar guns, but I have no problem with getting keys to get lucky and what not.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Dvsilverwing posted:

It's not like you actually go there at the start of a round to watch cat. Not saying it's the best spot to hold ever, but it's a convenient location to have when you need it. I don't think I've ever heard it discussed in too much detail in this thread, and I never see any of the typical whining threads on the CS:GO posted about this spot, so I just don't understand what possessed them to make such an unnecessary change.

Also, you're very wrong. It's a terrible spot to hold cat from. A good cat player plays UP on cat so that he can work in conjunction with both the mid and B players. Good CT players play in such a way that allows for easy and effective overlap.

At the start of a round, B guy only has to watch tunnels, mid guy only has to watch mid, and cat guy only has to watch cat. But the second there is activity, you rotate into a position that allows for overlap. The mid guy might change his angle so that he can watch cat and give a headsup to the cat player. Or maybe there's action in B, allowing the mid player to rotate towards B double doors to help stop the push, and if that happens, the cat player needs to be in such a position where he can watch lower B tunnels mid AND cat to prevent the (now) two B players from being flanked from CT mid.

The box spot on A plat has always been used as a "fall back" position, and not a "watch cat" position. If you get pushed on cat, maybe you get a kill and you fall back into the site. Then you can play it from several different angles.

You're literally flipping your poo poo and shouting conspiracy theory over something THAT DOESN'T MATTER. Valve has been trying to balance any and all positions that are one sided. They removed the car peek at the top of banana on Inferno too, or are you not going to bitch about that because you didn't know it was there? The position on A plat allowed for a CT player to view an angle that was almost imperceptible to the Ts pushing up cat. Now you have to rely on aim and reaction time instead of hoping they don't see you. They have put more work into making CS:GO a competitive masterpiece than they ever put in 1.6 OR Source, and bitching about something so miniscule just makes you look like a tool. Learn to play better positions, and learn to play a better CT half and you won't need your little box peeks.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
[img-wrongontheinternet.jpg]

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dvsilverwing posted:

Actually having a meltdown over an utterly insignificant change in a video game might be grounds for being an aspie. :thumbsup:

Hence where my reading comes in.

Also Daeno make another vid please.

FMPONE posted:

cs_estate reloaded? :pcgaming:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Coleman posted:

Also, you're very wrong. It's a terrible spot to hold cat from. A good cat player plays UP on cat so that he can work in conjunction with both the mid and B players. Good CT players play in such a way that allows for easy and effective overlap.

At the start of a round, B guy only has to watch tunnels, mid guy only has to watch mid, and cat guy only has to watch cat. But the second there is activity, you rotate into a position that allows for overlap. The mid guy might change his angle so that he can watch cat and give a headsup to the cat player. Or maybe there's action in B, allowing the mid player to rotate towards B double doors to help stop the push, and if that happens, the cat player needs to be in such a position where he can watch lower B tunnels mid AND cat to prevent the (now) two B players from being flanked from CT mid.

The box spot on A plat has always been used as a "fall back" position, and not a "watch cat" position. If you get pushed on cat, maybe you get a kill and you fall back into the site. Then you can play it from several different angles.

You're literally flipping your poo poo and shouting conspiracy theory over something THAT DOESN'T MATTER. Valve has been trying to balance any and all positions that are one sided. They removed the car peek at the top of banana on Inferno too, or are you not going to bitch about that because you didn't know it was there? The position on A plat allowed for a CT player to view an angle that was almost imperceptible to the Ts pushing up cat. Now you have to rely on aim and reaction time instead of hoping they don't see you. They have put more work into making CS:GO a competitive masterpiece than they ever put in 1.6 OR Source, and bitching about something so miniscule just makes you look like a tool. Learn to play better positions, and learn to play a better CT half and you won't need your little box peeks.

I literally just said it's not a spot you hold cat from, why are you trying to tell me that it's a bad spot to hold cat from? And the conspiracy theory was obviously not serious, but it does piss me off that they constantly make unwarranted changes and stick them in with the fixes that people actually ask for, most of the time it winds up being a one step forward one step back deal.

Awesome Welles posted:

Actually having a meltdown over an utterly insignificant change in a video game might be grounds for being an aspie. :thumbsup:

Hence where my reading comes in.

That's not what I see as a meltdown at all, it's just a forum post venting frustration, less about the insignificant change and more about the way they go about attempting to patch and balance things.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Dvsilverwing posted:

I literally just said it's not a spot you hold cat from, why are you trying to tell me that it's a bad spot to hold cat from? And the conspiracy theory was obviously not serious, but it does piss me off that they constantly make unwarranted changes and stick them in with the fixes that people actually ask for, most of the time it winds up being a one step forward one step back deal.
I think you changed the phrasing of the statement "Not saying it's the best spot to hold ever", I believe it originally said "not like it's the best spot to hold ever", and I took it to read as you being sincere based on your previous flipping-outtage over the stupid change, but with the amended phrasing I can see it was originally intended sarcastically. Point remains the same, the change doesn't matter.

quote:

That's not what I see as a meltdown at all, it's just a forum post venting frustration, less about the insignificant change and more about the way they go about attempting to patch and balance things.
That is what they're doing. They removed a position that is one sided in favor of having to play that spot in a way that gives the T a chance to respond.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Awesome Welles posted:

Also Daeno make another vid please.

Moarr wooorrk? Off I go then.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

What would it take for cs_* maps to see serious play?

Would a small adjustment of the economy be sufficient, or maybe completely different economy from de_* maps? Having multiple hostage rescue areas separate from CT spawn?

How about special gear for the CTs to make breaching slightly less suicidal? Like having the riot shield instead of a hostage rescue kit, some kind of drone or peeking camera, or just a lot more flash bangs.

Perhaps we should reverse the scenario and have the Ts liberate prisoners or grab bags of money like in payday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

cat with hands posted:

Perhaps we should reverse the scenario and have the Ts liberate prisoners or grab bags of money like in payday?

It would be "fair" if you divided the game up in to quarters where CT's and T's take turns capturing hostages/bags of money. You can't quarter 30 rounds though so game length would need to change to 28 or 32. It's an interesting idea for sure.

• Locked thread