Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just dropping by to say that I passed the exam in my country to get my Law Degree in my university (you can either present two already finished cases or a thesis; I chose the cases); now I need to pay some money for minor procedures in the equivalent of the Bar and I'll be fit to practice law (now I just need to find a job).

I'd like to know what do people do in the US to practice law, is it just finishing Law School and the bar exam? Is the bar exam as hard as I think it is? you finish Law School and automatically get a law degree? (I know nothing about the university degrees system in the US)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Ersatz posted:

gently caress me - yes university spending is out of control, but making it possible for capable students to become scholars and professionals is not providing them with a "windfall"; it's enabling them to contribute to society instead of being locked into a lifetime of trivial bullshit labor.

lol, the "Georgetown Law loophole." :patriot:
Yeah, sorry for the think tank snark, I just grabbed the first short summary I could find listing all the IBR changes.

The best part is if you click the link you find that the "loophole" they describe is purely theoretical. "Georgetown isn't doing this yet. But it, or any other graduate or professional degree program in the country, could do it if they so chose." Probably a shitload of loan servicers on the donor rolls thereabouts.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Ersatz posted:

If the 57k cap goes through it's going to be brutal.

All of my friends who took government jobs did so with the understanding that forgiveness would apply to all of their debt, so they've only made minimum payments since graduation. They're now unemployable as private sector attorneys (it's highly unlikely, for example, that a patent firm would hire a patent examiner who has spent more than a few years post-graduation at the USPTO) and their jobs don't provide them with the income necessary to actually pay down $100-200k of debt at 7% interest.

Since this a WH proposal, can congressional democrats be expected to support it? If this passes, my friends are screwed. Maybe it's time for them to seek citizenship elsewhere.

Yeah this is me pretty much. drat it, this is not good. I pray it only applies to new borrowers.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Elotana posted:

Yeah, sorry for the think tank snark, I just grabbed the first short summary I could find listing all the IBR changes.
No worries - it's not your fault that these people are dicks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the other hand, too many lawyers plus law schools are scum

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
As someone not on ibr, I laughed maniacally reading that. Nonpublic forgiveness isn't impacted right now but I'm sure it would be changed as well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Wah, I have to pay back the loans I took out while I partied through law school. Waah.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wah, I have to pay back the loans I took out while I partied through law school. Waah.

THis except unironically.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

insanityv2 posted:

THis except unironically.
Yeah, gently caress people who try to better themselves so that they can have a future. We all know that people who take massive risks to access education are just doing it so that they can piss away their days. It's not like a civilized society would provide its members with the means to self-actualize.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Only go to law school if you know for a fact you can start a firm and grow it to over 1,000 attorneys within the first 10 years

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
They need to just make student loan debt dischargeable so I can get filthy rich.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Wait, does a JD give you the ability to self-actualize now? Lots of people would describe working as a lawyer as a lifetime of trivial bullshit. Yes, it may be highly compensated trivial bullshit in some increasingly rare circumstances, but I don't think many of my law school classmates achieved enlightenment with three years of drinking and reading case books.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

the milk machine posted:

Wait, does a JD give you the ability to self-actualize now? Lots of people would describe working as a lawyer as a lifetime of trivial bullshit. Yes, it may be highly compensated trivial bullshit in some increasingly rare circumstances, but I don't think many of my law school classmates achieved enlightenment with three years of drinking and reading case books.
I'm thinking more broadly about higher education in general but yes, if law graduates weren't saddled with massive debt they would be more able/likely to pursue careers that they find personally fulfilling.

if you want to say that law is an exception because our profession is terrible I disagree, but I won't argue with you.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 7, 2014

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
It's pretty much impossible to convince old people who went though higher education decades ago that times are different and younger people burdened with student loan debt is a significant problem that is not the same as whatever they dealt with. On the bright side, the younger generation has less racism (*sees the UCLA stuff*), um well still probably less racism overall.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Space lawyers, good news! NASA's Office of the Inspector General is hiring.

(not really spacelaw, but it's DC with a 1-year experience requirement, so I'm not buggin')

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Mons Hubris posted:

Only go to law school if you know for a fact you can start a firm and grow it to over 1,000 attorneys within the first 10 years

Alternatively, borrow enough to purchase Super Bowl ad time and keep your fingers crossed for a reality TV deal.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bro Enlai posted:

Space lawyers, good news! NASA's Office of the Inspector General is hiring.

(not really spacelaw, but it's DC with a 1-year experience requirement, so I'm not buggin')

I'm surprised one of the third tier schools in Houston doesn't advertise a certificate in space law yet.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!
I thought lawgoons would appreciate this. I'm glad to see my hometown providing something to the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5KfACTAOPa0

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

OurIntrepidHero posted:

I thought lawgoons would appreciate this. I'm glad to see my hometown providing something to the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5KfACTAOPa0

Somebody posted this Thursday and it was embedded

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I've received a second offer on my article, and I'm having trouble deciding where to publish. One of the offers is from an online only journal with a high W&L ranking (based on number of citations, etc...); the other journal ranks lower, but is in a traditional printed format. If all other things were equal, is it better to publish in a printed journal instead of one that is online only? I was an articles editor in law school, but I never really understood/bothered to look into the factors that make one journal more prestigious than another.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
"Not guilty" Still best two words in the english language.
Even better when it is a quick one in a case the da should have dumped.

Almost enough to make law school seem like a good choice (it isn't).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Congratulations!

(Yes it is. Admit it.)

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

nm posted:

"Not guilty" Still best two words in the english language.
Even better when it is a quick one in a case the da should have dumped.

Almost enough to make law school seem like a good choice (it isn't).

Just did day 1 of a possession of a prohibited firearm (sawed off shotgun) trial. The evidence so far has been good, in that the officers are full of poo poo. Unfortunately, in Canada, Judges can still include evidence which was obtained in clear violation of a person's Charter rights, which will probably be the end result.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 11, 2014

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ersatz posted:

I've received a second offer on my article, and I'm having trouble deciding where to publish. One of the offers is from an online only journal with a high W&L ranking (based on number of citations, etc...); the other journal ranks lower, but is in a traditional printed format. If all other things were equal, is it better to publish in a printed journal instead of one that is online only? I was an articles editor in law school, but I never really understood/bothered to look into the factors that make one journal more prestigious than another.
Congrats! It appears that you have a very good problem to have. A variety of factors go into deciding which publication to choose.

My main consideration in choosing a publication is this: which publication will be more likely to get read, so that your piece will get more circulation, so that more people will cite your piece, so that you will have a better publication reputation, so that you become a more attractive author if you decide to ever publish again.

Nobody just sits down and reads law journals these days -- though I suppose there must be some group of law professors who pick up the latest issue of the Yale Law Journal just to see what's what. So what you should be most concerned about is whether the online publication actually gets picked up in the legal search databases. Mainly West and Lexis, because people who search for secondary sources use those engines rather than other, less expensive alternatives. Like, there would have to be an enormous gap in the W&L rankings for me, personally, to pick an online publication that doesn't get picked up by West/Lexis over a lower ranked print journal.

My second consideration in choosing a publication is this (once again with an eye towards wanting to publish again): one of the things law students look at apart from the author's letterhead, the submitted article's substance, and the amount of the author's prior article's citations, is the author's publication history. The W&L rankings are clutch when law journals compare themselves to others. But that doesn't mean that they are the be all, end all! Oh no. I'm sure there are law students who think online journals are overvalued, and therefore might dock an online journal's W&L rank by X-amount just because it's online. But not all of them! It's really a crapshoot!

So, what I'm saying is that there is no real right answer. Huzzah! I would imagine your deadline to accept the print journal's offer is coming up. One strategy might be to see if you can extend that deadline by a few days, and then expedite your piece to higher ranked journals around the online journal's W&L rank -- and mention in your expedite request your offer from the online journal -- with a response deadline for whatever the extended print journal's response date is. That might parlay your online publication offer into a similarly ranked print journal article, and therefore avoid this whole problem.

Finally: Click on this link to go to a website filled with law professors getting their collective panties in a twist about the article submission game. I've only browsed the comments section, but they seem to respond to questions competently and quickly. I recall other folks asking "Journal X or Y?" based off of particular features of the journals, so you might want to pose your question there if you want a wider, and more experienced, pool of responses. I have a feeling the ultimate answer will be the same as mine: it depends on what feels best to you.

Congrats, once again. :)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

[Useful information]
Thanks!

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's not that simple for current attorneys. I've been a government employee for five years and have been paying my loans for nearly four. I thought I was 40% of the way towards loan forgiveness when Obama's proposal pulled the rug out from under me. If you want to adopt this rule prospectively for future students who can make an informed choice, I have no problem with that. But it's not the same calculus for current attorneys. When I graduated law school I had other job offers that I declined because the total compensation package offered by the government, inclusive of public service loan forgiveness, was the most competitive. Absent the loan forgiveness, the government salary doesn't come close to what I would have made in the private sector. I forewent five years of that extra income based on representations from the government that my loans would be forgiven in exchange for ten years of service.

Put another way, if a company told prospective employees that if they worked for the company for ten years they would get a $100,000 bonus, and four years in the company says "On second thought, we'll give you $57,000," nobody would be blaming the employees.

Edit: I thought to go look at the actual promissory note I executed when I consolidated my federal loans. The note says:

quote:

Borrower’s Rights and Responsibilities Statement

This Borrower’s Rights and Responsibilities Statement provides additional information about the terms and conditions of the loan you will receive under the accompanying Federal Direct Consolidation Loan (Direct Consolidation Loan) Application and Promissory Note (Note). Please keep a copy of the Note and this Borrower’s Rights and Responsibilities Statement for your records.

[...]

17. Discharge (having your loan forgiven).

[...] A Public Service Loan Forgiveness program is available that provides for the cancellation of the remaining balance due on your eligible Direct Loan Program loans after you have made 120 full, on-time, scheduled monthly payments (after October 1, 2007) on those loans under certain repayment plans while you are employed full-time by certain public service organizations.

If they don't grandfather in the people who have this language in their notes, it's inevitable that someone is going to sue the Secretary of the Department of Education under the APA for injunctive relief.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 11, 2014

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Interest rates went from the low 2 percent range to 6.8 my second year of law school and I felt completely tricked, so I don't have too much sympathy.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

mastershakeman posted:

Interest rates went from the low 2 percent range to 6.8 my second year of law school and I felt completely tricked, so I don't have too much sympathy.

That's not even remotely the same thing because you knew what the interest rate was each time you took out a subsequent loan. The closer analogy is taking out a fixed-rate loan at 2% and then several years later having the lender tell you that the rate is now 6.8%, after you're already on the hook for the money.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

The rates were at 6.8% my whole way through, so I do. Selling out to do the firm thing is enabling me to pay off my loans, but even with dumping literally half my salary into loan repayments, I'm going to be a sixth year associate by the time I'm done. I have no trouble being sympathetic toward people who didn't make that bargain, especially when they were assured by everyone around them that they didn't have to. I just never trusted those assurances - this may be an instance in which paranoia paid off.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 12, 2014

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

mastershakeman posted:

Not analogous, nor is one person doing a lovely thing a justification for someone else doing it even if it were analogous.

I feel like they are going to get sued so hard if they don't grandfather people in -- this is the wrong demographic to gently caress with illegally.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

mastershakeman posted:

hahaha why yes this apple is extremely similar to your orange

this is more analogous to Detroit not paying its workers' pensions, you agree to a certain wage because of a promised future benefit

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Pslf wasn't ever contractually in the loan paperwork though right?

The interest rate change wasn't nearly as drastic as the pslf change, but I had done the math on repayment going in and the change on 100k worth of debt was (guesstimating here) 4k or so extra per year, so 40k over ten years.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 12, 2014

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

mastershakeman posted:

Pslf wasn't ever contractually in the loan paperwork though right?

Yes, PSLF is expressly incorporated into the language of the promissory note. I quoted it a few posts earlier. The language says that the balance is discharged after 120 payments. Nothing about a $57,500 cap.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

10-8 posted:

Yes, PSLF is expressly incorporated into the language of the promissory note. I quoted it a few posts earlier. The language says that the balance is discharged after 120 payments. Nothing about a $57,500 cap.

I totally missed that, woops.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

10-8 posted:

Q5 Can I be certain that the PSLF Program will exist by the time I have made my 120 qualifying payments?

A5 The U. S. Department of Education (ED) cannot make any guarantees regarding the future availability of PSLF. The PSLF Program was created by Congress, and, while not likely, Congress could change or end the PSLF Program.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/public-service-loan-forgiveness-common-questions.pdf

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Q5 Can I be certain that the PSLF Program will exist by the time I have made my 120 qualifying payments?

A5 The U. S. Department of Education (ED) cannot make any guarantees regarding the future availability of PSLF. The PSLF Program was created by Congress, and, while not likely, Congress could change or end the PSLF Program.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/public-service-loan-forgiveness-common-questions.pdf
The Contract Clause only applies to the states, and not to Congress right? In which case the above is very ominous.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Ersatz posted:

The Contract Clause only applies to the states, and not to Congress right? In which case the above is very ominous.

This is why people become sovereign citizens.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
You dummies. The Presidents budget isn't getting passed in any shape or form.

Worry about it when something makes it to the floor.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

You dummies. The Presidents budget isn't getting passed in any shape or form.

Worry about it when something makes it to the floor.
The President's opening position in a negotiation with Republicans is apparently "gut this progressive program!" I think it's reasonable to be worried.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Waah