Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

NOW YOU TOO CAN SUFFER AS WE HAVE. :getin:

Seriously though, why would anyone want to import the shittiest car GM has cranked out in a while. I mean, it looks kinda cool, but it sucks to drive, seems to break down a lot, and has a horrible interior even by GM standards.

You mean the Chrysler PT Cruiser? Made by Chrysler?

It did make them a making GBS threads TON of money though, as terrible as it is.

Edit: Also I can't say I've seen one broken down before. I know a guy who had a hand-me-down PT Cruiser with almost 300k miles on the original engine and transmission. The interior was fairly trashed, but mechanically it was sound after 10 years of abuse.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BoostCreep posted:

It did make them a making GBS threads TON of money though, as terrible as it is.

Maybe my auto knowledge is off, but isn't Chrysler under the GM corporate umbrella?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe my auto knowledge is off, but isn't Chrysler under the GM corporate umbrella?

Nope - its the third of the US 'big three' (Ford, GM, Chrysler) - albeit somewhat less big than the other two

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

dissss posted:

Nope - its the third of the US 'big three' (Ford, GM, Chrysler) - albeit somewhat less big than the other two

And owned by Fiat now.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

dissss posted:

Huh, I always assumed they were part of GM. Apperently it's me, I'm ther terrible car thing. :negative:

Either way, they still made terrible cars with terrible interiors, so they're not that far off from being GM.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mr. Wiggles posted:

And owned by Fiat now.

And somewhere PT Barnum is laughing his rear end off.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BoostCreep posted:

Edit: Also I can't say I've seen one broken down before. I know a guy who had a hand-me-down PT Cruiser with almost 300k miles on the original engine and transmission. The interior was fairly trashed, but mechanically it was sound after 10 years of abuse.

Ugh. There was nothing particularly wrong with the PT when it came out, and it sold a bunch and made a lot of money and did wonders for Chrysler's CAFE. It was the right car at the right time. Now, by the 8th year or whatever they had still kept it in production with an outdated drivetrain, yeah it was pretty uncompetitive and maybe they should have replaced it, but probably not because the whole retro thing was probably on the way out.

Now compare this to GM who managed to hire the same designer to make the same car in order to cash in on the PT's success, like 6 years after the PT had already been out, and you tell me which was the worse managed company.

Appropos of nothing, there was a PT sitting in the Chrysler dealer in Beijing here, with a price tag of somewhere around $35k USD, in 2011. And I actually do see the occasional one out on the streets too. Next time I'm over at the dealer I'm tempted to go over to the guy with a Dodge Caliber who is *always* there when I'm there and ask him why the gently caress he bought that thing. It couldn't have been cheap.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Throatwarbler posted:

Ugh. There was nothing particularly wrong with the PT when it came out, and it sold a bunch and made a lot of money and did wonders for Chrysler's CAFE. It was the right car at the right time. Now, by the 8th year or whatever they had still kept it in production with an outdated drivetrain, yeah it was pretty uncompetitive and maybe they should have replaced it, but probably not because the whole retro thing was probably on the way out.

When the Neon first came out, they were all over the loving place. Same with the Cruiser. Now, if I see two Neons in a month, it's a miracle. I do still see quite a few Cruisers, though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tacky Scions are cheating at this due to volume.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Tacky Scions are cheating at this due to volume.

And target demographic.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

E: phone posting sucks

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Motronic posted:

And target demographic.

I think this might be a case of "wrong thread"

the kid is ruining exactly the car he's supposed to/allowed to ruin.

I'm torn

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Nothing to see here :downs:

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
The PT Cruiser is notable for being the vehicle that is good at nothing.

It wasn't especially cheap.
It doesn't achieve good mileage.
It doesn't perform well.
It has little interior room.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

xzzy posted:

Just to be clear I'm not trying to rip on anything because of some "LOL PRIUS" sentiment. I think it's an amazing piece of tech and I don't think there's a better commuter car on the market right now.

What are people getting for real world mileage out of those things? I pulled 54mpg on my commute today with the pussywagen TDI. Eighteen mile commute half highway half surface streets.

I guy I work with has a Volt. Says he got 156mpg out of his last tank commuting to work as back.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

What are people getting for real world mileage out of those things? I pulled 54mpg on my commute today with the pussywagen TDI. Eighteen mile commute half highway half surface streets.

I guy I work with has a Volt. Says he got 156mpg out of his last tank commuting to work as back.

I could see that if he has a short commute - I think the Volt does around 40 miles just on electric. Of course at that point you have to factor in electricity usage but I don't imagine that's a really huge offset.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A Melted Tarp posted:

It doesn't perform well.

It looked "retro" and unique and has a very high/upright driving position which was a selling point during the height of the SUV craze.

I think toward the end of its run it was selling for pretty cheap, too.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Yep, the last 2-3 years they couldn't sell them anymore so you could haggle a lot.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

A Melted Tarp posted:

It doesn't perform well.

They were great for antisocial people with semi good credit.
Also not terrible to work on from a mechanics standpoint because you get near double the time pay to do anything.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 8, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

A Melted Tarp posted:

It doesn't perform well.

I had to return one my then-wife had rented. I was only in the car 20 minutes and wanted to drive it into a tree.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

They were great for antisocial people with semi good credit.

This describes, to a T, the only person I know that willingly owns a PT, and even they admit that it's pretty shite but it still goes and stops so why get something else.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had to return one my then-wife had rented. I was only in the car 20 minutes and wanted to drive it into a tree.

I've only ridden in one once, for less than 4 miles, and I could not wait to get out of it the whole time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I don't drive the highways too often, my commute is only 6 miles. In the summer I get an honest 55, sometimes can squeeze 70 if I exploit the poo poo out of the battery. In the winter when it gets below 10F it's in the mid 30's because the car never has a chance to warm up.

edit - this is in a prius c

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Terrible Robot posted:

This describes, to a T, the only person I know that willingly owns a PT, and even they admit that it's pretty shite but it still goes and stops so why get something else.

I've only ridden in one once, for less than 4 miles, and I could not wait to get out of it the whole time.

I used to be a valet, and I've had to drive them, it's an even worse experience. Anyone who says that a stick shift makes a car better has never driven a PT Crusier. Or it's retarded cousin the HHR. Seriously, those are both cars that just suck the life out of you while you drive them. Combine that with the worlds worst interior and I can't imagine anyone who willingly wants to drive one.

Also, anyone who thinks being a valet means you get to drive awsome cars, nope, only once in a blue moon. So many 200s, Avengers, Cruisers, and Minivans. It's a neverending parade of lovely plastic interiors and horrible driving experiences.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

I'd probably ironically drive this, and my six year old son would think it's bad rear end.

The tombstones have names (probably) of his family members.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Blood Magnet posted:

I'd probably ironically drive this, and my six year old son would think it's bad rear end.

The tombstones have names (probably) of his family members.

That owns, totally wrong thread

If for some reason someone doesn't get the reference

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm not sure if this counts as awesome or terrible, but I do know it's 100% automotive insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbWf_QsPrw

The best part is at 6:22 where he explains how he hooked up the speedometer or didn't.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The PT Cruiser is unique in that it feels unsettlingly out of control at any speeds over 100km/h. That feeling when your cars suspension unloads and almost gets air? It somehow feels like its doing that all the time. God I hate those things and the rental car companies and their contracts that made me drive them.

The PT Cruiser convertible has a special place in automotive rental car hell next to a Camry with a CVT.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

NOW YOU TOO CAN SUFFER AS WE HAVE. :getin:

Seriously though, why would anyone want to import the shittiest car GM has cranked out in a while. I mean, it looks kinda cool, but it sucks to drive, seems to break down a lot, and has a horrible interior even by GM standards.

It's not a GM car. :eng101:

Edit: so beaten. I thought that post was the end of the thread but there was a page of replies after that! :downs:

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 8, 2014

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

When the Neon first came out, they were all over the loving place. Same with the Cruiser. Now, if I see two Neons in a month, it's a miracle. I do still see quite a few Cruisers, though.

Chrysler seems to have a knack for making very marketable (and poo poo) cars and selling so many they just manage to stave off bankruptcy. The K-car, the Caravan, the Neon, and the PT Cruiser all sold really well; somehow they just knew what vehicle people wanted and made them as poorly as possible.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Neptr posted:

Chrysler seems to have a knack for making very marketable (and poo poo) cars and selling so many they just manage to stave off bankruptcy. The K-car, the Caravan, the Neon, and the PT Cruiser all sold really well; somehow they just knew what vehicle people wanted and made them as poorly as possible.

I like to think of them as the Kel-Tec of the automotive world. Really good ideas and concepts let down by piss-poor build quality.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 8, 2014

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hang on, catching a plane to Japan and hitting up the department store for zipties & pipe cleaners, BRB!!! Gonna make a fortune!!!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

CharlesM posted:

Hang on, catching a plane to Japan and hitting up the department store for zipties & pipe cleaners, BRB!!! Gonna make a fortune!!!

Take blue jeans with you

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh what a neat mustang, nice and clean!

Oh that trunk TV is kinda gross I guess...

:negative:

The worst part is the guy was boasting he gets 40 miles to a 6 hour charge.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

CharlesM posted:

He sold them a few minutes ago... Apparently two guys were fighting over them.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 9, 2014

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

This guy's expression says it all I think.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

The worst part is the guy was boasting he gets 40 miles to a 6 hour charge.

That's not entirely unreasonable in the realm of current electric cars.

The first gen smart electric got 68 miles to an 8 hour charge.

Even the most modern smarts and 500es get about 90 miles to a 6 hour charge, and they weren't built in a shed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just because the battery says "deep cycle" on it doesn't mean you can pull peak current out of it from 100% to 0% every other day without something going terribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Turns out this was trolling thank God.

I was new to the group and... I mean... these are the same people who would pay thousands for ratty economy cars with no racing pedigree other than the fact that this model was featured in Initial D so it caught me off guard.