Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

HellCopter posted:

Call me an idiot, but I've literally never understood the point of naval warfare. Boats seem to be good an killing other boats and nothing more. They barely do any damage when attacking a coastal city and more often then not they just end up destroying themselves.

Exactly like land combat, melee units are worthless as a workhorse unit most of the time. Bring 90% ranged units and a melee unit here or there to mop up cities. Battleships are like artillery - they make capturing cities very easy and the AI has no idea at all of how to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HellCopter posted:

Call me an idiot, but I've literally never understood the point of naval warfare. Boats seem to be good an killing other boats and nothing more. They barely do any damage when attacking a coastal city and more often then not they just end up destroying themselves.

Early ships are crap but sea trade routes are extremely powerful, so they're worth the investment to protect them. Frigates/privateers are strong enough in a swarm to take cities if you get them early enough, and ironclads will just straight up obliterate an unprepared city.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Also, Ironclads are incredibly powerful relative to the era you get them in and can capture coastal cities pretty easily with some Frigate backup.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Naval units are important because you're a god damned admiral and you're gonna sail your fleet right up Venice's bumhole.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I actually had a really fun game with the Celts recently by going piety/liberty, the complete opposite of how I normally play. I generated as much early faith as possible, got the reformation belief that gave tourism for each holy building, and then started putting cities everywhere I could while generating great works as quickly as possible.

It's the only game I've played recently where I wasn't 1st in science by the mid game (I play on emperor). I had to keep a pretty big army on hand to deter the increasingly pissy AI (I settled that city on the other side of my territory from you Ceasar, calm down!). I was also landlocked, meaning I had to rely on caravans. Making it even harder I took autocracy (gotta get those achievements!), but the double spy-stealing rate and lower unit maintenence did help quite a bit.

I would have won a lot earlier if the random number generator hadn't decided to wait until I had over 270 faith to give me my first great prophet. I still got the first religion, but only managed to get cathedrals. By the time I got my second prophet all the rest of the religious buildings had been snatched up. I would have still been able to get mosques if I had gotten my first prophet closer to 200.

I definitely agree the Celts are a weaker civ, but I think they're one of the most fun to play if you go all in with their few advantages.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Hannibal Smith posted:

I definitely agree the Celts are a weaker civ, but I think they're one of the most fun to play if you go all in with their few advantages.

This is my big problem with Civ V on the higher difficulties - for certain Civs, you CAN'T go all in on anything that isn't science because you will get stomped.

I mean, it's an easy fix - play on a lower difficulty - but it's super frustrating.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I said it before but Race for Religion is a must have mod and it makes factions like the Celts juggernauts.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

redreader posted:

YES. They are. If you don't like someone you can just nuke their capital into the stone age (reduce population massively). If you have 2 nukes you can get rid of a pesky unit mob as well as nuke their capital!

I managed to find a good amount of Uranium in my territories, so if it comes to it I might just bomb the problem areas. I've got such a border that I've essentially blocked naval passage in one direction, forcing players like England to take a more tedious route in the other direction. War is brewing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I forgot: another reason to build nukes is so that you have nukes, and all of the other civs come to you and say "I trust in you for you are a wise and benevolent ruler" since your 'army strength' is now +100000000 due to having a few nukes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HellCopter posted:

Frigates are cannons (same ranged strength) that have five movement (six if you open Exploration, which is a decent pre‐Rationalism tree), never expend more than one point per hex, don’t have to set up to fire, and can actually take hits (25 strength vs. 13). If that doesn’t sound good to you, I don’t know what to say.

Cannons have a bonus to cities, so it takes more shots to redline a city, but that’s not a problem because they have so much more mobility and so much less threats. Cannons just get wrecked before they can set up and fire all too often. Many players forgo pre‐artillery siege units for composite/cross bows, and with frigates you can have your cake and eat it too.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I find that on Immortal/quick there's a certain timing where you simply cannot take cities conventionally (without massive losses) because their city strength is too high and every AI on immortal is going to have a sizeable army. It lasts from about the time where the AI gets castles until you have dynamite or flight. Frigates are pretty much the only way you can bypass that, especially if there's enough space to get five or more of them in there. The strength, mobility and ability to take a hit is really good. Unfortunately the AI is utterly terrible at naval warfare so you can't really play an island map without feeling like you're taking advantage. England's ship is even better, it's ridiculous.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Going back up a bit, one reason to take Goddess of Protection is to keep the civ you plan on rushing from taking it. It's a poo poo pantheon but goddamn if it won't stonewall your Archer/Spearman-based army cold. :argh:

The only problem I have with naval warfare is the difficulty of healing naval units -- you have to park them in your own territory (or expend a Great Admiral on them for a one-shot heal, or consume a promotion to heal). I wish you could, I dunno, pay a gold fee when in friendly waters to heal them, like you're contracting out the reconstruction work to your ally or something.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm glad you mentioned Race for Religion, I'm checking it out now and it's really interesting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The only problem I have with naval warfare is the difficulty of healing naval units -- you have to park them in your own territory (or expend a Great Admiral on them for a one-shot heal, or consume a promotion to heal). I wish you could, I dunno, pay a gold fee when in friendly waters to heal them, like you're contracting out the reconstruction work to your ally or something.

You only need to take one crap city to have a place to heal, but failing that buy a city‐state if there’s one in the area.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Doltos posted:

I said it before but Race for Religion is a must have mod and it makes factions like the Celts juggernauts.

Is that better? Sounds a bit like going from one extreme to another.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gort posted:

Is that better? Sounds a bit like going from one extreme to another.

It's…different. It changes a lot of the basic mechanics around. Every single pantheon has a different way to generate faith, founder beliefs are not always predicated on what happens when you spread it around, like their role got mixed up with enhancers. Need to test more. Apparently it also spreads around less once you enhance, for some reason.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

You only need to take one crap city to have a place to heal, but failing that buy a city‐state if there’s one in the area.

Do city-states really work for that? I thought it had to be territory you control.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Do city-states really work for that? I thought it had to be territory you control.

They let you heal, but they can't upgrade. That's another annoying part about naval stuff in general, the things you send on expeditions are always going to end up outdated unless you are taking a few cities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They let you heal, but they can't upgrade. That's another annoying part about naval stuff in general, the things you send on expeditions are always going to end up outdated unless you are taking a few cities.

There’s like one upgrade that matters for most of the ships, so I don’t find it too onerous, except when carriers come along and I need to get a few of those. That can call for annexing a city.

Yeah. You can even heal in the territory of civs you have open borders with, which is something I forget frequently. Even if they’re guarded and make you pay thrice the usual rate, that’s still a good deal.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah. You can even heal in the territory of civs you have open borders with, which is something I forget frequently. Even if they’re guarded and make you pay thrice the usual rate, that’s still a good deal.

My favorite boost from open borders is granting embarkation for a scout far from home.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
When running with Reform & Rule, do the Patronage bonuses to conquered city-states also apply to city-states gained through peaceful means like diplomatic marriage?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Do The Evolution posted:

I find that on Immortal/quick there's a certain timing where you simply cannot take cities conventionally (without massive losses) because their city strength is too high and every AI on immortal is going to have a sizeable army. It lasts from about the time where the AI gets castles until you have dynamite or flight. Frigates are pretty much the only way you can bypass that, especially if there's enough space to get five or more of them in there. The strength, mobility and ability to take a hit is really good. Unfortunately the AI is utterly terrible at naval warfare so you can't really play an island map without feeling like you're taking advantage. England's ship is even better, it's ridiculous.

I dunno, with the last few patches I've found that island maps are no longer an easy win on higher difficulties. The AI might be bad at naval warfare (although it's still much better than G&K and not even remotely near what it was at launch) but it seems to manage its cities better, leveraging its production bonuses for more. I might just be doing something wrong but I seem to have trouble keeping pace on Immortal with anything smaller than Small Continents.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Speedball posted:

I'm glad you mentioned Race for Religion, I'm checking it out now and it's really interesting.

try his Reform and Rule mod too, to modify the Cultural Policies.

They obviously are meant to be used at the same time, you'll notice when you put them both up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How far away should you build your cities? Since you can't work more than 3 hexes out from your city, does that mean you should build them 6 hexes apart?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pollyanna posted:

How far away should you build your cities? Since you can't work more than 3 hexes out from your city, does that mean you should build them 6 hexes apart?
It all depends. Your cities will eventually grab land five tiles out, so if you really wanted to be precise about maximizing your territory while minimizing your number of cities, you'd go with that. However, your good cities will almost never be that nice.

When all you do is capture capitals like I do, you end up with almost no connected borders, but this isn't really a problem either.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

That's a good rule of thumb, but most of the cities you build aren't going to ever get to the point where they're using all available hexes, so don't worry too much if there's a little overlap. Just remember that water/tundra/desert (sans Petra) isn't worth much so those are effectively dead hexes already.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Gabriel Pope posted:

Early ships are crap but sea trade routes are extremely powerful, so they're worth the investment to protect them. Frigates/privateers are strong enough in a swarm to take cities if you get them early enough, and ironclads will just straight up obliterate an unprepared city.

My most common military strategy is to develop Frigates early and launch coastal raids against nearby unprotected city-states or otherwise belligerent coastal cities. I have 5-6 ships bombard the city, then land a Knight/Cavalry unit or two nearby just as the city defenses are at their lowest point, then I capture the city.

I do more offensive strategy early, then spend the late stages defending until I grind up enough of their artillery to begin bombing, then I launch a new invasion once I have tanks.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

De Nomolos posted:

My most common military strategy is to develop Frigates early and launch coastal raids against nearby unprotected city-states or otherwise belligerent coastal cities. I have 5-6 ships bombard the city, then land a Knight/Cavalry unit or two nearby just as the city defenses are at their lowest point, then I capture the city.

I do more offensive strategy early, then spend the late stages defending until I grind up enough of their artillery to begin bombing, then I launch a new invasion once I have tanks.

I especially like ships once I get submarines when the AI doesn't have them yet, especially with the new Wolfpack promition from BNW, which essentially means you click on another ship and that ship will be gone. Combine that with playing England and having the Great Lighthouse, and you get super-mobile ship killers. :saddowns:

That said, which ships can actually see (and thus attack) submarines?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hollow Talk posted:

That said, which ships can actually see (and thus attack) submarines?

Any unit can see them if they’re in an adjacent hex.

Destroyers, submarines, nuclear submarines, and missile cruisers can see submarines in their full vision radius.

Once revealed, a submarine can be attacked even by units that can’t see it themselves, e.g. battleships.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Submarines are also vulnerable to any unit once they're spotted. You can therefore kill a submarine with artillery :)

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Any unit can see them if they’re in an adjacent hex.

Destroyers, submarines, nuclear submarines, and missile cruisers can see submarines in their full vision radius.

Once revealed, a submarine can be attacked even by units that can’t see it themselves, e.g. battleships.

Gort posted:

Submarines are also vulnerable to any unit once they're spotted. You can therefore kill a submarine with artillery :)

:aaa: That actually explains a lot about submarines lost in the past!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

And cannons. And trebuchets and crossbows and so on.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone help me out with a build order for emperor? just getting my rear end kicked. What I tried about 4 times last night was:
techs: pottery-> library -> worker techs -> calendar for the philosophy slingshot
build: scout, some worker, granary as soon as available, finish worker, great library

I should probably just give up on the GL, because even with a wide open area around me it all gets settled up around turn 70 or so and that is too small an army. Can someone post a better way to do it? Maybe something like:
scout, worker, granary, bowman, bowman, settler, worker, settler ?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If you're going for a GL slingshot then it literally needs to be queued up the moment Writing finishes.

Otherwise, Scouts->(insert Shrine if necessary)->Granary+Worker is a must, throw in a monument somewhere if you're not going tradition or you don't find culture ruins quickly enough. As for tech path, pottery->whatever worker techs you need for your capital->writing is a good start. The rest depends on what stretegy you're gunning for, what the land around you looks like, and what civ you're playing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Super Jay Mann posted:

If you're going for a GL slingshot then it literally needs to be queued up the moment Writing finishes.

Otherwise, Scouts->(insert Shrine if necessary)->Granary+Worker is a must, throw in a monument somewhere if you're not going tradition or you don't find culture ruins quickly enough. As for tech path, pottery->whatever worker techs you need for your capital->writing is a good start. The rest depends on what stretegy you're gunning for, what the land around you looks like, and what civ you're playing.

Thanks! For clarity though, I DID get the GL every time but then I had no army/settlers and everyone had already settled/built armies, then I would get attacked and killed (if I had settled one extra city, hi ghengis) or just not be able to settle anywhere decent.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just give up on the Great Library, man. It's not worth it, since you have to dedicate a ton of your capital's productive turns to it, turns that could be spent on a granary and archers and so on. And getting Philosophy early isn't really that helpful either.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Gort posted:

After some artic hunt for red october poo poo today I also realized how subs work in ice. You have to be in the same contiguous ice patch as your target sub in order to hit it. This means that single tile ice patches make your sub invulnerable to all attack. Combine this with logistics and you get invincible, dual attack subs. Red october indeed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I doubt it's possible yet to make an AI this complex, but I realized I want Cold Wars in Civ6. Sufficiently powerful nations or blocs and the only way you can fight without the both of you being utterly destroyed is with spies and ideological pressure. It could even have a sort of "diplomatic space race" where you research policies and whatever and whichever faction wins completely destablizes their enemies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I doubt it's possible yet to make an AI this complex, but I realized I want Cold Wars in Civ6. Sufficiently powerful nations or blocs and the only way you can fight without the both of you being utterly destroyed is with spies and ideological pressure. It could even have a sort of "diplomatic space race" where you research policies and whatever and whichever faction wins completely destablizes their enemies.

Pretty sure the closest we have to this is the cultural or diplomatic victory anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Just give up on the Great Library, man. It's not worth it, since you have to dedicate a ton of your capital's productive turns to it, turns that could be spent on a granary and archers and so on. And getting Philosophy early isn't really that helpful either.

Agreed. You're devoting a ton of your early game to getting to the National College ASAP. However, the tech will still be there if it takes you another 30 turns to get the National College up and running, while the good city sites may well not be. Plus between spies and bonus beakers from trade, there are rubber bands to help you catch up early on - you'll still overtake everyone around Education or so since you'll have the good social polices for science and they won't.

Not to mention that you're gambling that nobody else in the game is trying the exact same tactic as you are. That's the flaw with any strategy involving wonders - someone might beat you to it.

• Locked thread