Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Isn't that also essentially the deist position?

From my understanding, basically. Deists believe (and I may be wrong) that if there was a god, it is either dead or no longer cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Sir Tonk posted:

"hardforum.com"

That's a gay bodybuilding site, right?

I think it's what became of Hard|OCP, the computer hardware/overclocking site.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Wizard of Smart posted:

From my understanding, basically. Deists believe (and I may be wrong) that if there was a god, it is either dead or no longer cares.

There are several varieties of deism, but I don't think any of them are nihilistic like that. Deism is much more like a Hegelian view of history and religion: there is broadly an order and purpose to the universe, one that is ultimately constructive. But whatever this ordering force is, it certainly doesn't intercede on the level of human affairs. So, in a general sense God "wants" human happiness and prosperity, but only in the sense that we keep building on what we have. He (She/It) wouldn't care about the unfolding of events on a scale humans would comprehend.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Sitting on His rear end and not doing anything is God's MO. According to His own PR book, for how many centuries did He sit on His rear end while His chosen people were enslaved in Egypt before He finally noticed?

Well recent anthropologists have been questioning if Jews were ever actually enslaved in Egypt, so that could be a factor in God's tardiness.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Well recent anthropologists have been questioning if Jews were ever actually enslaved in Egypt, so that could be a factor in God's tardiness.

PROTIP: They weren't.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sharkie posted:

Seconding the advice to consider taking a break. There are some topics I'll just skip because I already know what they're going to say, and I know I don't need to be reading that poo poo.

The anger makes me strong!

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

It also reflects their ignorance of the idea of consent. Rape and sex are indistinguishable to them, especially when said sex is deviant to their eyes.

I think this is really it. They fundamentally don't understand consent when it comes to sex, and this seems to underly a lot of their awful views about sex and rape. You can't rape your wife because sex within marriage is holy, and matrimonial sex is a duty. All other types of sex are unholy and it's impossible for them to distinguish between gay sex and pederasty or bestiality: if you allow one sin you allow them all, all gay people want every type of sex because they are perverts. Rape victims must have somehow invited or wanted sex, because sex happened and consent is irrelevant, so it must be a personal moral failing that made them likely to be victimized, etc.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...

Can't wait to hear Freep's ranting spree...

R-E-S-P-E-C-T...

It'll be, heavenly...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Little Blackfly posted:

There are several varieties of deism, but I don't think any of them are nihilistic like that. Deism is much more like a Hegelian view of history and religion: there is broadly an order and purpose to the universe, one that is ultimately constructive. But whatever this ordering force is, it certainly doesn't intercede on the level of human affairs. So, in a general sense God "wants" human happiness and prosperity, but only in the sense that we keep building on what we have. He (She/It) wouldn't care about the unfolding of events on a scale humans would comprehend.

Yeah someone who believes that God sparked the Big Bang and then took a back seat and is just watching it all play out would count as a Deist, for example.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I remember a book of wacky things college students put on exams had one of them writing, "Deism was the belief that God created the world and then stepped on it."

That would explain a lot, honestly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Darkman Fanpage posted:

PROTIP: They weren't.

I thought so, but wasn't sure enough to state it as fact.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Zemyla posted:

I remember a book of wacky things college students put on exams had one of them writing, "Deism was the belief that God created the world and then stepped on it."

That would explain a lot, honestly.

I'm picturing God stumbling around in the dark and stepping on the earth like a matchbox car and swearing about it when he comes home drunk "Why is this loving thing in the middle of the floor again?!"

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The Knockout Game" is so widespread and constant and the single biggest threat to each and every white person in America; but the closest story all of Freep has is the time they parked next to some sketchy looking guys who then drove off.
Does even a single Freeper point out the dozens of Freepers condemning the movie without having watched it?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Duke Igthorn posted:

"The Knockout Game" is so widespread and constant and the single biggest threat to each and every white person in America; but the closest story all of Freep has is the time they parked next to some sketchy looking guys who then drove off.

Does even a single Freeper point out the dozens of Freepers condemning the movie without having watched it?

Yea dude we just post the poo poo we trawl up here. You should try it.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm picturing God stumbling around in the dark and stepping on the earth like a matchbox car and swearing about it when he comes home drunk "Why is this loving thing in the middle of the floor again?!"

That's why he invented light.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Voyeur posted:

That's why he invented light.

"God saw the light, and he saw that it was good. He then saw the quarterly bill, and he saw that it was not good."

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

VitalSigns posted:

The anger makes me strong!

I think this is really it. They fundamentally don't understand consent when it comes to sex, and this seems to underly a lot of their awful views about sex and rape. You can't rape your wife because sex within marriage is holy, and matrimonial sex is a duty. All other types of sex are unholy and it's impossible for them to distinguish between gay sex and pederasty or bestiality: if you allow one sin you allow them all, all gay people want every type of sex because they are perverts. Rape victims must have somehow invited or wanted sex, because sex happened and consent is irrelevant, so it must be a personal moral failing that made them likely to be victimized, etc.

For these guys, marriage = consent, and in the context of husbands as the master of their domain (and therefore anything within that domain), consent is mandatory whether the wife likes it or not. Ergo, no such thing as "marital rape" - just a frigid bitch who won't do her matrimonial duty. As for other types of sex and non-marital rape, it's a steadfast regurgitation of what they've learned from their parents, who learned it from their parents and their parents, etc.

These highly traditional views are very comforting because they offer simple, brief and easy-to-digest reasons for complex behaviors and actions.

Gay marriage? "Gays are gays because they're perverts."
Poverty? "Poor people are lazy."
Racism? "Blacks whine too much"
Rape victims? "They're probably are asking for it."
Our nation's current state? "Obama is ruining our country."

The above poo poo takes little to no time to digest and accept as truth, plus it gives you an opportunity to not think about those issues any more (at least until someone says something that challenges those views).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Everyday Lurker posted:

Poverty? "Poor people are lazy."

This one has to have a footnote that says "Unless white, then victim of government meddling and persecution."

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
In which Freep bemoans the illegality of upskirt photography

quote:

To: Slings and Arrows

How did we ever reach this point of insanity?

23 posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 6:58:10 AM by mulligan (I)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

The judge who made the stupid ruling should be removed from office.

25 posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:03:44 AM by VRW Conspirator ( 2+2 = V)

quote:

Foolishness....... technology rules

26 posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:04:08 AM by bert ((K.E. N.P. N.C. +12 ..... History is a process, not an event)

quote:

While those who would take up-skirt pictures creep me out, I wonder at what the ban really does. Most women's underwear cover more than a bikini bottom and I wonder about those who wear skirts without underwear - have caught a glimpse of a few over the years who forgot to sit properly. Kind of like a woman who wears a sheer blouse without bra and gets upset when someone glances at their highly visible nipples.

Would be a better law to decriminalize a physically painful reaction to those who snap such pics - amnesty for the victim, her husband/boyfriend, and anyone withing 10' of the incident when it was discovered.....let them know they can take the pics if so driven, but they should be prepared to swallow some teeth and blood when they get caught.
30 posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:50:13 AM by trebb (Where in the the hell has my country gone?)

quote:

The only reason that I can figure why women wear skirts is so men can look up them. So womens’ only gripe here is that they want to control who gets to do the looking.

32 posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:57:50 AM by cymbeline

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How dare women decide who gets to see their underwear-A loving Creep

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ahaha, of course people who spend so much time railing about what they see as the perversity of homosexuality would have no problem with being a creepy voyeur. Of course.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The only reason that I can figure why women wear skirts is so men can look up them. So womens’ only gripe here is that they want to control who gets to do the looking.

32 posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:57:50 AM by cymbeline
I was confused by this at first, because I thought pants-wearing feminists were the cause of all that equality stuff that freep hates, therefore there's no way to win, wear a skirt and you're a slut who wants men to look up it and will creepshame men you don't like, wear pants and you're a man-hating bra-burning destroyer of all that is good and traditional and biblical. There seems to be no way to win.

Then I realized the obvious solution: They don't want women outside of the house to begin with. :cripes:

They'd be all for the idea of enforced burqas and female curfews if they weren't associated with foreign cultures.

(I wonder where they stand on traditional kilts for men)

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Wow. I've been through a couple of iterations of the Political Cartoons thread, and I've sailed through the stormy waters of Idiots on Social Media, so I thought I was ready to dip into the Freep thread.

I was not. Jesus, how do you guys cope? It's like going from a brisk January walk to the surface of Jupiter.

Maybe I should start on something lighter - maybe the reactions to the Presidential elections? That's just impotent rage right - it's all just impotent rage? Or any other recommendations of them tearing each other apart.

How many of them are there anyway? Fewer than Juggalos? At least you feel you could sit down with Juggalos and have a beer and talk about movies. This feels like a stormfront retirement home - constant hate and stupidity.

From the 2010 thread:

quote:

Tars Tarkas: This thread will destroy your soul if you are not prepared. To the ill-equipped, turn back now!

I think this might be wisest, or at least just take them in very small doses. Jesus :cripes:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Doubtful Guest posted:

How many of them are there anyway? Fewer than Juggalos? At least you feel you could sit down with Juggalos and have a beer and talk about movies. This feels like a stormfront retirement home - constant hate and stupidity.

These people are basically the tea party. That should give you a vague estimate as to their numbers.

Welcome to the thread, hope your brought ulcer medication!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

King Metal posted:

I'm pretty sure The Passion of the Christ won several Oscars. Did they forget about that, or was that not about the RUHL JESUS

Passion of the Christ didn't win anything, but Lincoln won a boat load of awards, including the Oscar for best actor, and John Adams won 13 Emmys, 4 Golden Globes and 2 SAG awards.

I mean, I'd suggest pointing out these errors, but they wouldn't have any effect what-so-ever on these peoples' opinions.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

WarpedNaba posted:

These people are basically the tea party. That should give you a vague estimate as to their numbers.

Welcome to the thread, hope your brought ulcer medication!

They're tea partiers, but they may not always be representative of any kind of ideology other than whichever ideology JimRob has chosen to adopt that day. Freep has been in decline for a long time because of ideological purges that happen whenever there's a primary/election. There used to be people posting there who were talk radio show hosts and White House officials. Other than some mentions by some D-List local talk radio people, nobody gives a gently caress about FR anymore.

So while the things they say are very hateful, I think it's important to keep everything in context. Neonazi's say a bunch of hateful poo poo too, but you can take solace in the fact that it's not a vibrant, youthful, and growing movement. You can kind of think about FR the same way. They're just a bunch of hateful pricks shitposting straight from their id about Obummer. They're cowards, and they're a small group of cowards at that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

quote:

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist
Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos.

Homos. All Homos all the time. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos.

Are we sick of homos yet? Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos. Homos.

Homos....

6 posted on 3/9/2014 12:29:49 PM by onedoug

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

:getin:
This here is why I keep reading. It's so delicious that it manages to balance out all the completely disgusting poo poo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So the first episode of the new Cosmos series just ended. I wonder what freep's up to...link

quote:

To: Olog-hai

/HURL

2 posted on Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:16:37 PM by piytar (The predator-class is furious that their prey are shooting back.)
There's a few more that post just that.

quote:

good reason to avoid. No doubt the CGI cosmos will revolve around him.

6 posted on Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:18:35 PM by Viennacon

quote:

Will he talk about “Planet Debtstar” that owes trillions and trillions?

7 posted on Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:19:03 PM by NewHampshireDuo

quote:

We’ll be watching Ax Men.

8 posted on Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:19:30 PM by defconw (Well now what?)

quote:

Nope. I’ll borrow the original from the Library before I’ll watch that POS’s intro. And seriously, I won’t even do THAT because it’s effing PBS!

His intro will be something along the lines of, “I...Um...Know you...Um...think the Universe revolves...Um...around the Sun and all, but...Um...it REALLY revolves around ME!”

Bite me. And Dr. deGrasse (Tyson) can can kiss my assy...

11 posted on Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:21:15 PM by Diana in Wisconsin (I don't have 'Hobbies.' I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set...)
gently caress Fox's version, it's poo poo, I'll get the original, except I won't because public spending of my tax dollars.

quote:

This time will there be beeeelions or treeeelions of stars?

12 posted on Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:24:21 PM by bigbob (The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly. Abraham Lincoln)

You mean science changes due to updated information? WHHAAAAAAT!? I'll just stick to what my pappy taught me.

quote:

13 posted on Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:24:38 PM by JPG (Yes We Can morphs into Make It Hurt.)
Not sure if this is JPG's creation but it's unironically good.

quote:

61 posted on Sunday, March 9, 2014 6:25:02 AM by martin_fierro (< |:)~)

And this one is unironically a huge pile of poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
No wonder the history channel has gone to such utter poo poo. These fuckers keep giving poo poo like Ax-men views. I hope other people watched Cosmos because it was really good. Stupid question, but why are these people so anti-intellectual. I know its freep, but jesus.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Doubtful Guest posted:

Wow. I've been through a couple of iterations of the Political Cartoons thread, and I've sailed through the stormy waters of Idiots on Social Media, so I thought I was ready to dip into the Freep thread.

I was not. Jesus, how do you guys cope? It's like going from a brisk January walk to the surface of Jupiter.

Maybe I should start on something lighter - maybe the reactions to the Presidential elections? That's just impotent rage right - it's all just impotent rage? Or any other recommendations of them tearing each other apart.

From the 2010 thread:

I think this might be wisest, or at least just take them in very small doses. Jesus :cripes:

Retirement home, hell. This is the unrepentant id of the conservative movement (and by what people say, it's oftentimes worse than Stormfront).

I came to see the reactions to Cosmos as soon as it was over because I knew. Since it wasn't an hour of Sarah Palin burning books in a bikini, it was undoubtedly a symptom of the Death of America. :freep:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

pengun101 posted:

No wonder the history channel has gone to such utter poo poo. These fuckers keep giving poo poo like Ax-men views. I hope other people watched Cosmos because it was really good. Stupid question, but why are these people so anti-intellectual. I know its freep, but jesus.

Easiest answer? Because change. X worked for my dad, and his dad, and it works for me so why do you have the right to change that?

(Meanwhile they ignore the fact that X didn't work for large swaths of others, especially those who aren't white, male, protestant, straight, or economically different from them).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

Foolishness....... technology rules

26 posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:04:08 AM by bert ((K.E. N.P. N.C. +12 ..... History is a process, not an event)

loving gross, FReep. I hope she notices and digs a two inch heel into your foot.

quote:

gently caress you twice tonight, FReep.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Those Cosmos freep posts :ughh:

Badera posted:

Retirement home, hell. This is the unrepentant id of the conservative movement (and by what people say, it's oftentimes worse than Stormfront).

I came to see the reactions to Cosmos as soon as it was over because I knew. Since it wasn't an hour of Sarah Palin burning books in a bikini, it was undoubtedly a symptom of the Death of America. :freep:
The only way I see freep as worse than Stormfront is that SF knows and embraces their racism; freepers try and hide behind some bullshit veil of "BLACKS ARE THE REAL RACISTS NOT US!" because if anyone is an expert on who is racist and isn't, it's obviously white people who lived during Jim Crow/Segregation era and their descendants.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

pengun101 posted:

Stupid question, but why are these people so anti-intellectual. I know its freep, but jesus.

Because they're now too old to tangibly benefit from the discoveries that basic scientific research could lead to.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Crain posted:

quote:

We’ll be watching Ax Men.

8 posted on Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:19:30 PM by defconw (Well now what?)

Riveting television, I'm sure.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pengun101 posted:

I hope other people watched Cosmos because it was really good. Stupid question, but why are these people so anti-intellectual. I know its freep, but jesus.

Because an open mind is like a mighty fortress with its gates unbarred :smugissar:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I seriously can't understand how they can hate on Neil deGrasse Tyson. Is it just because he's a scientist? I don't remember him ever saying anything that anybody would really think is all that controversial.

I'd expect people to be more pissy about Seth MacFarlane being associated with the show.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pengun101 posted:

Stupid question, but why are these people so anti-intellectual. I know its freep, but jesus.

Because they're narrow-minded reactionary scum, and any change that doesn't benefit them first and the most is a potential threat to their fragile egos and massive sense of entitlement.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I seriously can't understand how they can hate on Neil deGrasse Tyson. Is it just because he's a scientist? I don't remember him ever saying anything that anybody would really think is all that controversial.

I'd expect people to be more pissy about Seth MacFarlane being associated with the show.

He's very open about his atheism, and isn't a huge fan of conservatism, though he's quieter on that front from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Teaching science makes you satan, because science is satan. Also maybe a tiny tiny tiny fraction of it is because he's black (very small amount).

Freep probably is more comfortable with the geocentric theory, or Cosmos: Edited for Rednecks.

• Locked thread