Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

evol262 posted:

Abort abort abort.

The only way you should be doing this is through tables linked to SQL server

But I don't have a SQL server!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Abort abort abort.

The only way you should be doing this is through tables linked to SQL server

This, sql express is free 2008 r2 is free and hosts 10gb 2012 is like 15. Studio manager express is also free.

Do it in sql express

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Veskit posted:

I must stress that this isn't a major super crazy project, I just have a team whispering in my ear that someone is going to find a way to kill this thing you naive poor bastard Veskit.

Either way, this is a side project experiment. We'll see how it all goes.

Anyone in this thread can tell you how it all goes:

Exactly how Bob Morales said it would go.

Except he glossed over the horrible support hours that will pass between the time the initial glow of you saving the company finally wears off and the time that the company folks over their millions or goes bankrupt due to your side project experiment.

There is no Access database that has been built as a side project experiment that didn't end up as a solution to a business problem (because that's why you built it in the first place, right?) and got absorbed into a business practice.

Your team is right. Someone who knows better should kill that thing. I promise you, if you build this Access database and anyone from this thread ever finds out where you live/work/play, they will cut you.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

This, sql express is free 2008 r2 is free and hosts 10gb 2012 is like 15. Studio manager express is also free.

Do it in sql express

Hrmmmm, I'll look into this. This way I can use Access as the front end client right?

Also I should mention I learned how to make databases and write SQL and all that fun stuff, but the actual programs and what to use well.... Clearly I wasn't informed because I'm making an access database it seems.

Agrikk posted:

Your team is right. Someone who knows better should kill that thing. I promise you, if you build this Access database and anyone from this thread ever finds out where you live/work/play, they will cut you.

:ohdear:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Veskit posted:

Hrmmmm, I'll look into this. This way I can use Access as the front end client right?

Yes, just submit the limitations to manager or whatnot of that 10gb limit. When you hit it force management to fork over for a sql instance, then you can export the express db into full sql.

There should be a few tutorials on access to sqldbs

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Veskit posted:

Yes, this is the point of linked tables.

But it absolutely should not take even the most junior developer more than a day or so to put together a basic .NET CRUD app.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I dunno if these sorts of questions are kosher in this thread or should be moved to the SQL thread so bare with me.

Looks like SQL server management studio and Oracle SQL Plus and Workflow Builder are available in my request center. Will either of these work for creating a back end database?

I also seem to have Database server Installation to an existing server/vm/host. I wonder if I can access this... I'll ask our IT group and see what they think before I go down this dark path of access. They never warned me :smith:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Veskit posted:

I dunno if these sorts of questions are kosher in this thread or should be moved to the SQL thread so bare with me.

Looks like SQL server management studio and Oracle SQL Plus and Workflow Builder are available in my request center. Will either of these work for creating a back end database?

I also seem to have Database server Installation to an existing server/vm/host. I wonder if I can access this... I'll ask our IT group and see what they think before I go down this dark path of access. They never warned me :smith:

Aag don't use access, figure out how to do this with Django or Rails or something.

SQL Server Management Studio is the graphical management application that will let you set up and administer your databases. You will need to host a SQL Server Express or PostgreSQL or something instance somewhere.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Veskit posted:

Yes.

Setting up a SQL with properly controlled and normalized data is the hard part. Setting up ODBC connections to it and using Access as a front end for users using linked tables is a decent way to give your users a GUI to access data while protecting them from themselves.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Yes.

Setting up a SQL with properly controlled and normalized data is the hard part.

Well I got the normalization under control. The only concern is since this will be a document tracker access made it really easy to design it, and I don't know if its as either in the other environments.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

SQL Server Management Studio is the graphical management application that will let you set up and administer your databases. You will need to host a SQL Server Express or PostgreSQL or something instance somewhere.

So with this I can set up my tables, create relationships and do field validations? Also uhhhh how easy is it to upload pdfs/docs ect with this manager?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

For one of my previous jobs, I have "Transitioned company from 12 Microsoft Access databases and Excel spreadsheets to Plex ERP system" in that part of my resume.

It doesn't sound as nearly as complicated or impressive as it should so I always have fun giving the gory details in interviews.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MySQL and PostgreSQL are both good, free, alternatives to SQL Express, but without the limitations.

They may take a little more effort to configure tho, I've never really set anything up using Microsoft's product.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

For one of my previous jobs, I have "Transitioned company from 12 Microsoft Access databases and Excel spreadsheets to Plex ERP system" in that part of my resume.

It doesn't sound as nearly as complicated or impressive as it should so I always have fun giving the gory details in interviews.

I worked at an airplane company that ran their ERP on Excel for like..... 2 years while trying to transition to SAP. I know your pain.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Veskit posted:

I worked at an airplane company that ran their ERP on Excel for like..... 2 years while trying to transition to SAP. I know your pain.

We just used Excel files for things like logging

XXXXX-XXXX-PRODUCTION-2014-03-06.xls

That sort of thing

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dear Network Solutions,

How is that I have been removed from an account owned by an old employer, but you still have my loving Amex on file and charged it for that account ?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Veskit posted:

...The only concern is since this will be a document tracker access made it really easy to design it, and I don't know if its as either in the other environments...

This sounds like a solved problem. SharePoint or some OSS tool may do what you need.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

KennyTheFish posted:

This sounds like a solved problem. SharePoint or some OSS tool may do what you need.

Sharepoint costs money. OSS on the other hand... I'll find someone in the company that can help me out. Someone should know something. SOMEONE!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Veskit posted:

Sharepoint costs money. OSS on the other hand... I'll find someone in the company that can help me out. Someone should know something. SOMEONE!

Sharepoint foundations is free.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Sharepoint foundations is free.

*note, an installation charge of (a loving ridiculous amount of money) will be charged to your departments budget.

At that point I may as well find the best software I can snag for around the same price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Veskit posted:

Sharepoint costs money.

But paying two full time developers to reimplement poo poo like calendars is free, or so my boss thinks

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Veskit posted:

*note, an installation charge of (a loving ridiculous amount of money) will be charged to your departments budget.

At that point I may as well find the best software I can snag for around the same price.

Sounds like you are looking for a technical solution to a non-technical problem. The problem being your corporate IT not supporting the business. Good luck with that.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

If you think dealing with it on the non-classified network is a pain pray that you never encounter it on the other. I'm pretty sure alligator clips, a car battery, and a tender piece of your anatomy are involved if you screw things up.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Veskit posted:

What's the actual problem? I can almost certainly recommend an OSS solution.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

<------ A few days late since I'm at a conference and just getting caught up.

Might as well share a gripe, conferences are friggin' exhausting. Especially when they are out of my time zone, I'm waking up early because I'm on easy coast time and running late every night. Finally at McCarren airport headed home but the drat slot machines are dinging and shouting out "Wheel of Fortune" every five minutes and giving me a headache.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well i'm a loving idiot. One of out clients who I talked to a fair bit and got on with asked me if people at my company liked her. I said "its probably mixed, as with working relationship some people like working with certain people more than others" and assured her that everyone I heard talking about her liked her.

She only paid attention to the part I quoted and has written a complaint into the company and now its on my head. Way to go fuckhead, you just hosed over the only person willing to do you a favour.

E: Just had a meeting with my boss. He was surprisingly calm and just told me that I need to be like a politician and dodge more questions than I answer. Seems fair enough.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 7, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

dogstile posted:

Well i'm a loving idiot. One of out clients who I talked to a fair bit and got on with asked me if people at my company liked her. I said "its probably mixed, as with working relationship some people like working with certain people more than others" and assured her that everyone I heard talking about her liked her.

She only paid attention to the part I quoted and has written a complaint into the company and now its on my head. Way to go fuckhead, you just hosed over the only person willing to do you a favour.

E: Just had a meeting with my boss. He was surprisingly calm and just told me that I need to be like a politician and dodge more questions than I answer. Seems fair enough.

This sounds hilarious. What kind of complaint can someone make about people not liking them, exactly?

"Someone smiled at me today but it was slightly smaller than the smiles I get from other people. This is affecting production my ego."

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

the littlest prince posted:

This sounds hilarious. What kind of complaint can someone make about people not liking them, exactly?

Someone who's narcissistic, suffers from crippling self-doubt, or both.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

rolleyes posted:

Someone who's narcissistic, suffers from crippling self-doubt, or both.

Yeah the fact that someone would even ask the question would set off alarm bells - people who are secure with themselves don't need to ask, and people who are socially capable should already know who likes them and who doesn't, generally speaking, and be OK with that.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Dear $Manager from hosed up $company,

Due to you treating me like a child and trying to pigeonhole me into a role that I've resisted for the seventeen years of my career, I am firing you and your company. I am leaving you for a new organization that has a reputation of treating its employees like the grownups they are and trusting them to get their work done.

I have submitted my signed response to their offer this morning, so I hereby give you your two weeks termination notice.

Sincerely,

Agrikk.

P.S. See you later, shitlords.

P.P.S. FYI: The $company policy of dinging managers on their performance review for turnover among their direct reports is asinine. Although, $company has an office in $NewHomeTown, I could not request a transfer there because, since $MyManager would get a performance review hit for my turnover, it is in his best interest to fire me instead of let me transfer. This is not talent development. This is talent ejection.

tl;dr - Agrikk YOTJ'd today. Signed offer letter today. Giving a (more diplomatic) two week notice Monday.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Agrikk posted:

Giving a (more diplomatic) two week notice Monday.

Why?

Also, Congrats! I hope to :yotj: soon, unemployment is driving me in-loving-sane

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Never burn bridges, act professional in the face of adversity, etc.

What ev'.

When I'm quit of these guys they'll be a collection of half-remembered names and faeces that occasionally float up from the bottomless pool of forgotten memories that is my head.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Agrikk posted:

Never burn bridges, act professional in the face of adversity, etc.

What ev'.

When I'm quit of these guys they'll be a collection of half-remembered names and faeces that occasionally float up from the bottomless pool of forgotten memories that is my head.

I should have been more clear, that wasn't a real "why", it was a continuation of the absurdism.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Due to some political BS, we were asked to accept a donation of 15 PCs, we were told it was all "good stuff". Maintenance dept. sent 2 guys and a truck to pick up the stuff, 2 hour round trip, here's what they came back with:

Nothing less than 7-8 years old. Not pictured are the 9 boxes of dirty, used keyboards, piles of mice with ps2 connectors, approximately 10-12 useless inkjet printers, 5-10 old, broken scanners and 3 CRT monitors. My boss and I took one look at it and pretty much just laughed and said that there was absolutely nothing we could with the stuff. It's all been sitting in the basement for 2 weeks now waiting for maintenance to haul it away to be recycled.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Due to some political BS, we were asked to accept a donation of 15 PCs, we were told it was all "good stuff". Maintenance dept. sent 2 guys and a truck to pick up the stuff, 2 hour round trip, here's what they came back with:

Nothing less than 7-8 years old. Not pictured are the 9 boxes of dirty, used keyboards, piles of mice with ps2 connectors, approximately 10-12 useless inkjet printers, 5-10 old, broken scanners and 3 CRT monitors. My boss and I took one look at it and pretty much just laughed and said that there was absolutely nothing we could with the stuff. It's all been sitting in the basement for 2 weeks now waiting for maintenance to haul it away to be recycled.

But we spent $2000 on that computer only ten years ago! It's got to be worth something! Can I put a $750 writeoff on my taxes?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I once got yelled at because I told a lawyer that no, he couldn't "trade in" his printer.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Congratulations dude - and yes that review policy sounds utterly ridiculous.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

guppy posted:

I once got yelled at because I told a lawyer that no, he couldn't "trade in" his printer.

Out of all the possible users, I think that lawyers are actually the worst. Worse than doctors, C-levels etc. - Even the most basic, just-passed-the-bar lawyer is extremely demanding and expects everything to be done instantly with the minimal possible level of access to his computer. Drives me insane.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also they hate spending money.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
You'd have to pay me double my rate to work for an attorney. Even then, I might not do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Congratulations dude - and yes that review policy sounds utterly ridiculous.

You have no idea. Agrikk and I found out we both worked for the same company several months ago, just on different projects thousands of miles apart. I YOTJed back in December.

He's not lying, it is a pants on head retarded company. Twice a year there is performance metrics bullshit that means nothing. Total Whose Line Is It Anyway, where the points are made up and they don't matter anyway.