Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Squeegy posted:

Did you copy over the icon image and name it correctly?
Yeah. At first I was getting an error because I forgot to copy the .frames files over but now there's no errors at all.

dog kisser posted:

Armor actually has an icon file that has the three components of armor in line with eachother, which I believe it also uses for the preview.
No, I mean when you mouse over the icon it shows a preview of the actual armour on a wooden dummy - neither the dummy nor the armour shows up.

Edit: Seems the folder struture is important for armours - "mymod/subfolder/myarmour" makes the icons invisible and breaks the previews on everything (apart from the legs for some reason) but "mymod/items/armors/myarmour" makes everything work perfectly. :iiam:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah. At first I was getting an error because I forgot to copy the .frames files over but now there's no errors at all.

No, I mean when you mouse over the icon it shows a preview of the actual armour on a wooden dummy - neither the dummy nor the armour shows up.

Edit: Seems the folder struture is important for armours - "mymod/subfolder/myarmour" makes the icons invisible and breaks the previews on everything (apart from the legs for some reason) but "mymod/items/armors/myarmour" makes everything work perfectly. :iiam:

Ohhh yes, you have to copy their folder structure to get everything you want to work.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Shoehead posted:

Ohhh yes, you have to copy their folder structure to get everything you want to work.
Yeah, that doesn't explain why the legs had a preview in the wrong folder though. It's working and that's great but not understanding the logic of it bugs me.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Jesus, I am the worst at remembering to fix my recipes when I update - I had to make THREE fixes for one update for the same reason because I kept missing tiny things.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, that doesn't explain why the legs had a preview in the wrong folder though. It's working and that's great but not understanding the logic of it bugs me.
A lot of vanilla armors have this problem too, eg the human workout shirt. I have no idea what causes it, really.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know a couple of the Starbound team post here... just was in the shower today wondering if there's even a ROUGH ballpark for PS4 version? (It runs ok on my Mac but not perfect, and I like gaming on consoles.)

I know narrowing a time-frame is hard, but are we talking... "in 2014" or "you better play it on your Mac because we haven't even started thinking about that yet and you're looking at late 2015 at the earliest!"

:)

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Feenix posted:

I know a couple of the Starbound team post here... just was in the shower today wondering if there's even a ROUGH ballpark for PS4 version? (It runs ok on my Mac but not perfect, and I like gaming on consoles.)

I know narrowing a time-frame is hard, but are we talking... "in 2014" or "you better play it on your Mac because we haven't even started thinking about that yet and you're looking at late 2015 at the earliest!"

Why would you ever want to play this on a console? Half the fun is the mods.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Feenix posted:

"you better play it on your Windows" is there official statement.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Build a cheap SteamBox and get a wireless controller :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It runs decently on my Mac. (has it's moments of stuttering) but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Feenix posted:

It runs decently on my Mac. (has it's moments of stuttering) but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Every time I start mine on my mac it crashes at least once, reopening it usually launches it fine and it doesn't crash after that.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
I haven't been able to use any mods at all. Since angry koala, even Airstick crashes this game for me.

Gotta go vanilla all the way, but I'm still having a good time with it. And I'm learning to ignore the voice in my head telling me that this game would be so much better if I got out and drop $$$ on a new computer.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sorry if this is off-topic, but has anyone tried the "Starbound-alikes" that are coming out? There's Edge of Space, Darkout, and Signs of Life. I love Starbound but I'm wondering how the other similar games are.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I gave up on darkout after it became clear that every patch made the game worse.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sorry if this is off-topic, but has anyone tried the "Starbound-alikes" that are coming out? There's Edge of Space,
Edge of Space is a disaster. Worst ten dollars I ever spent, and I buy the awfulest middle grade fiction I can find for fun.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Have not heard of Signs of Life, but I know the other two are pretty terrible at the moment.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Signs of Life is made by a goon... I can't recall his name off the top of my head, but he's always posting great gifs of game footage in the Making Games thread. His composer/sound engineer, Mariano Santillán, is good people, too. I can't speak for the gameplay, but it looks and sounds like he's making it simple enough and trying his best to make it pick-up-and-play.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Darkout is a perfect example of why light 'penetrates' surfaces in games like Starbound and Terraria. In Darkout, light doesn't penetrate at all, so every single solid block looks identical (pitch black) except for maybe a 1-pixel wide band around it. Not being able to tell the difference between wood, stone, dirt, and metal is kind of significant in a game like that.
I mean don't get me wrong, the game is plagued with all kinds of other problems, but that one thing is enough, by itself.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Serious Frolicking posted:

I gave up on darkout after it became clear that every patch made the game worse.

What makes it so bad? The style looks really distinct, and that makes it pretty tending for me.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

boo_radley posted:

What makes it so bad? The style looks really distinct, and that makes it pretty tending for me.

"

Vib Rib posted:

Darkout is a perfect example of why light 'penetrates' surfaces in games like Starbound and Terraria. In Darkout, light doesn't penetrate at all, so every single solid block looks identical (pitch black) except for maybe a 1-pixel wide band around it. Not being able to tell the difference between wood, stone, dirt, and metal is kind of significant in a game like that.
I mean don't get me wrong, the game is plagued with all kinds of other problems, but that one thing is enough, by itself.
"

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
So far it has run very well on my Windows desktop from about 6 years ago, and a year old i5 laptop running Arch Linux. I have not had a lot of luck running it on OS X on my MBP.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I admittedly only played Darkout long ago and things may have changed, but here's my take on it (note: this was before the common consensus of "it gets worse every patch")

-Uneven, frustrating combat. Where Terraria has pixel-collision and Starbound has hitbox combat, Darkout has pre-cooked attack animations with very little feedback as to there you are hitting, and monsters don't react to being hit (knockback, stun frames, or any animation at all).
-You are given basically the best weapon in the game in your starting kit (a glowstick)
-The idea is that enemies are shrouded in darkness, so you have to light them up before you can damage them. All combination light/attack weapons dramatically outperform non-light attack weapons, even discounting the fact that non-light weapons deal 0 damage before the 'shield' is down. Why make a sword when you have a glowstick that does more flat damage?
-You get research points you can spend researching things. Research takes a longass time for no reason. I think you lose in-progress research when you die (and all the points you spent)? This made it so you had to sit in your base on your rear end for five minutes while your project cooked, or risk falling in a tar pit and dying. But there are a horde of cosmetic items, some that are incredibly expensive, and it's impossible to tell cosmetic items from progression items. (Glowing cable better for running power lines? Nope. Light bulbs? Hey, that's required for mid-tier armor!)
-Crafting takes a longass time for no reason for some things, and is instant for others. You can count on late-tier complicated things having multiple components that take a longass time to craft. Very shallow queue.
-Kinda janky spawns, things will appear in well-lit areas or in walls
-SUPER grindy, and the two patches I saw made the grinds worse- if I remember right, one lategame recipe relied on random-drop canisters for (a) the recipe, and (b) a huge ton of materials. There was some dupe bug in at the time, and people would open 2000+ canisters without being able to craft it.
-Wiki/manual is garbage and unhelpful, which makes late-game tasks like generating power and running wires a huge chore of guess-and-check and fight-the-interface. Bonus when combined with 'Research', above.
-Truly miserable healing rate until you get mid-tier armor or long-craft healing item recipes. Hope you like sleeping on a bed for 8+ minutes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

This is a good example. Decorating with them is terrible to begin with, but see if you can even tell what most of these foreground blocks are.
There's a few places they stand out, but mostly you just see the very outer edge of the block. You could replace a single tile (or in some places, whole rows) and never see it.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Signs of Life is really neat and the whole limb movement really adds that extra touch. It's not as sandboxy as Terraria/Starbound, I feel, but it's got a alright story of "You've crashed on this planet, survive and find out what's going on." I got 6 hours or so of play time on it, for 7$, and enjoyed it. I'm going to wait a little bit before going back, since it's Early Access and poo poo and they're still adding content.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out thought. Here's the thread for it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's unfortunate about Darkout, since the art style looked really neat to me. If it interferes with gameplay then that's kinda crap, along with all of the balance issues making everything worse. Signs of Life reminds me of Cortex Command in a way which is pretty funny.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

It's unfortunate about Darkout, since the art style looked really neat to me. If it interferes with gameplay then that's kinda crap, along with all of the balance issues making everything worse. Signs of Life reminds me of Cortex Command in a way which is pretty funny.
It's weird, I loved the Darkout screenshots I saw, but once I actually got in it, I hated the aesthetic. It's weird how a setting so full of such weird and over the top colors can end up feeling so plastic and lifeless. Visually, it's completely overproduced. Like a bunch of 200% cranked photoshop filters made into a game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Vib Rib posted:

It's weird, I loved the Darkout screenshots I saw, but once I actually got in it, I hated the aesthetic. It's weird how a setting so full of such weird and over the top colors can end up feeling so plastic and lifeless. Visually, it's completely overproduced. Like a bunch of 200% cranked photoshop filters made into a game.

Let's be honest there's not really a shortage of things to dislike about Darkout.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I just bought Edge of space and already I'm not liking it. I really want some more Starbound instead. The crafting system looks to be unneccesarily convoluted, and I'm sitting here mining 1x1 for dirt when I could be shooting at poo poo already.

Everyone else also needs to move on to 3X3 mining already. Only reason i sank more hours in terraria was (other than it being the only one at the time) was spending all my money on bombs for quick digging.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
This is exactly why I'm glad I decided to wait for the full release to play Starbound.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Fargin Icehole posted:

I just bought Edge of space and already I'm not liking it. I really want some more Starbound instead. The crafting system looks to be unneccesarily convoluted, and I'm sitting here mining 1x1 for dirt when I could be shooting at poo poo already.

Everyone else also needs to move on to 3X3 mining already. Only reason i sank more hours in terraria was (other than it being the only one at the time) was spending all my money on bombs for quick digging.

The mining laser mod (well, technically the mining laser is already an asset in game, it is just unlocked by the mod) does 5x5 mining, super fast. For when you need to dismantle a castle in a hurry. Can you imagine doing that with 1x1 mining? Ugh.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just got this and I'm having a blast running around crafting things, but a couple new guy questions:

-Is there an item or something that changes where I teleport to from ship to planet?
-How do I build walls in the background? I have a wooden hut but I can't figure out how to make interior walls.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Not yet and right click.

fakebaconandeggs
Feb 18, 2011

CREDO!
I saw this mod here, there was no custom logo for it. So, I made it happen:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Kingtheninja posted:

Just got this and I'm having a blast running around crafting things, but a couple new guy questions:

-Is there an item or something that changes where I teleport to from ship to planet?
-How do I build walls in the background? I have a wooden hut but I can't figure out how to make interior walls.

-No, not yet. Even the various teleporter mods can't change the initial landing point.

-Right-click to place background tiles (and to break background tiles while using a pickaxe/mining tool). If you're on a Mac then it's CTRL-click, or whatever you have your context sensitive menu/secondary-click bound to.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Vib Rib posted:

I never had a problem with that.. there is a glimmer to all ore-type things that happens in like a wave going from the NE corner of your screen to the SW. You can stand still and watch anything worth mining within your range of vision light up for a moment, and you can even zoom out pretty far to do that.

The main problem is what the other guy said.. bad patching. The game isn't "done" so they come out very rarely to put in a big patch that fixes a few issues but breaks something fundamental and then you're basically stuck at a certain point in the game unless you want to hack your character file or wait a few months for the next patch.

It's a really pretty game though, and flying around with a jet pack with glowing armor in something that doesn't look like lovely 8-bit sprites from the 80s is nice.

But.. don't buy it until it's actually playable to the end at least.

edit:
Signs of Life looks cool. I think I prefer the detail level and scale of Signs of Life + Darkout vs. Terraria/Starbound. I'm also on the not playing Starbound bandwagon, at least until they get the progression stuff ironed out. I've gone through the generic progression that's in there, and currently don't feel like building fancy towns and harvesting up a storm just to have it vanish, or to throw it away to experience the real 'game' they put in soon enough.

Maybe I'll waste a few more bucks on Signs of Life now. There should be a steam support group, but more of an AA than a BB.

glug fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 10, 2014

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Yeah, the big problem with Darkout is the patching. What there is is terribad and seems to break more thsn it fixes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

glug posted:

I never had a problem with that.. there is a glimmer to all ore-type things that happens in like a wave going from the NE corner of your screen to the SW. You can stand still and watch anything worth mining within your range of vision light up for a moment, and you can even zoom out pretty far to do that.
That's not what I was talking about. You can see ore just fine, true, but my point is that you generally can't tell what any given surface is made of. In the house screenshot for instance, there's a 1-block-thick row near the top you can make out, but everything else is basically just solid black, and the floor in many places could be dirt or wood or brick or metal and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Yea, you're right. I fired it up to take a picture of my sweet base and my massive elevator-to-hell, but realized that it's really loving dark past your first brick, even with better lighting in the room than your lanterns/etc. Your structures are fine, but the world around you is black as gently caress. It's the whole point of the game, and a design decision.. but I get that it's kind of lovely at the same time.

Either way - the game is easily worth the price to me, but I would recommend waiting until it's "complete" to spend that money.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, that was an interesting and worrying first play session. Just started playing seriously today, made a glitch and set out to explore the surface of my first planet. To the left was a modern building made of compressed steel and filled with blood cabinits, to my right a short walk before coming upon a few destroyed Glitch structures and a few evil things guarding them. Not sure what to make of it, really.

Any tips that goons would like to share with a newbie? Other than wait on the distress beacon, I've seen that in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Ashsaber posted:

Any tips that goons would like to share with a newbie? Other than wait on the distress beacon, I've seen that in action.

Start hoarding coal. It's your only source of fuel for a while. I keep hearing that deserts are good sources for coal. I don't really see much of a difference, but you never know.

Figure out something you can cook(on the cooking table) with relative ease. That should take care of your early health/hunger problems. If you run into a town they can be a good source of ingredients for food you haven't found the seeds for yet.

I've gotten into the habit of making a hoe, flattening the land and planting things near my entry point on initial planets for new characters until I can get them up to speed. One of my older characters has a literal forest of different types of trees and food on their first planet. If I need wood or plant fiber or anything like that, all I need to do is head home, cut and replant.

Don't waste time on guns and ranged weapons until you get better equipment with better energy max/regen. And even then, probably best not to bother. You can usually forge better weapons than what you can find on a planet.

• Locked thread