Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ratbert90 posted:

My standard response is:

"I'm sorry, but I am not authorized to discuss such matters off the clock. ${BOSS} can print t you up a contract for support hours, but working off the clock isn't authorized."

I also CC my boss because he is never included in the email chain to begin with when they are trying to get free support hours out of me. :v:

Just to be clear I wasn't talking about stuff off the clock - thankfully I'm in a role where I don't carry a work phone or have email access outside of the office, so I literally wouldn't see out of hours requests until I get back to work.

My annoyance with the scenario I posted is the complete waste of my time it represents, and the laziness on behalf of the person copying me into the chain. Taking 5 minutes to summarise what it is they need my help with would save me 30 minutes of trying to figure out the same thing from the mess of the email chain.

Basically, if you're in a position where you need my help on a complex issue like that then you can spend the extra couple of minutes to help me help you. If you don't then you obviously didn't really need my help that badly anyway - as neatly shown by the fact I didn't get a reply.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rob_squared
Nov 5, 2009

News, everyone!

rob_squared posted:

Welp, that's exciting. And I may not even need to skip out because this job would be in the median of the ranges I've seen and there are promotion paths within that team. Thanks.

I never really thought of it this way since I had 2 internal promotions to get to tier 2. But you're right, in the end phone support is phone support.

I worked at my last (non-tech) job for 9 years so I kind of get in ruts and don't realize it (I'm 30). There are perils of getting stuck on phones when you've literally been working on phones for half your life. Thanks as well.

I got the job, yay. Still feel terrified though.

rob_squared
Nov 5, 2009

News, everyone!

Collateral Damage posted:

I had a great manager a couple of years ago who explictly stated that his most important task was being a bouncer for the IT dept and shield us from the stupidity of users and other managers.

We've had the lunch complaint at my current job too, and our response was a heartfelt gently caress You. We all have extension mobility and cell phones. If poo poo's on fire you can call the helpdesk number, but if it's not a business critical issue you can wait until our legally mandated lunch hour is over.

This is kind of late, but I had the same situation years ago, and the request for staggered lunches only made sense because it was front like phone support and was customer facing. It's pretty sad that people outside your dept couldn't realize there's a difference.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Just to be clear I wasn't talking about stuff off the clock - thankfully I'm in a role where I don't carry a work phone or have email access outside of the office, so I literally wouldn't see out of hours requests until I get back to work.

My annoyance with the scenario I posted is the complete waste of my time it represents, and the laziness on behalf of the person copying me into the chain. Taking 5 minutes to summarise what it is they need my help with would save me 30 minutes of trying to figure out the same thing from the mess of the email chain.

Basically, if you're in a position where you need my help on a complex issue like that then you can spend the extra couple of minutes to help me help you. If you don't then you obviously didn't really need my help that badly anyway - as neatly shown by the fact I didn't get a reply.

Well, the few times that it's happened to me, it's for a project that has gone to support hours only, and they try to figure something out for 2+ weeks before wanting me to do something for free during work hours without having to pay for it. :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Theresa Frontpage posted:

I guess it's too much to expect everybody to call the male end of a 3.5mm analog connection a Modular Plug but jesus christ this terminology is terrible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Other_connectors.2C_other_terms

The male and female ends can be called by each other's names, english is awful

I would never call the male end of something the jack.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A ticket came in, but not to us thankfully. Last weekend the phone system in one of our small and older buildings died somehow, I only got the story second-hand from non-technical people but the tales ranged from "it caught on fire" to "it melted'. Either way something blew, and all last week the entire first floor had a chemical smell. But they won't prop open and doors because of :supaburn: security :supaburn:, so they've had big industrial fans giving the smell a nice circular tour of the first floor.

By the end of the week they had people start making (totally justifiable) medical claims and staying home, meanwhile we're trying to swap out their PCs with Windows 7 ones. This is completely out of our area, but I don't know what they expect to happen if they don't open the doors. I guess the regular ventilation system will vent the smell out eventually, but it's going to take weeks.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

I would never call the male end of something the jack.

Which is ironic since Jack is such a male name that it's used as a default for people who don't know you in some regions.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
A phone call came in, a user clicks his shortcut to LogMeIn and instead of getting a list of available computers he is prompted to install LogMeIn on his local machine. Ok let me just log in to our LogMeIn Central and see if the user still has computers assigned. Oh I see, our LogMeIn user list is empty, well that explains it. (We're a combo MSP and computer store, that list normally has hundreds of users at corporate clients and at least dozens of residential clients.)

This is unlikely to end well.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

jre posted:

An unhelpful webchat came in ......

So dell appear to have completely removed the ability to customise optiplex pcs on their UK website. You can no longer change the graphics card, ram or hd :stare:

Used to use that to get an idea of price before hitting up our account manager

Dell has some items that are fixed config, and some that are fully configurable. Its generally the same underlying hardware, but you have to talk to a sales guy to find out some things.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

lampey posted:

Dell has some items that are fixed config, and some that are fully configurable. Its generally the same underlying hardware, but you have to talk to a sales guy to find out some things.

They've removed the ability to customise the hardware on all the desktops on the UK website, it was there last month when I was pricing up some machines to replace our remaining XP machines still not done :emo:
I asked one of the online chat reps for which machines are still configurable on the site and she none of them were now. So the option is spend days emailing our rep or bug them to upgrade us to premier.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So, uh, logged into a tool at work and took a look at the URL:

quote:

support?txtUser=xxxxxxx&txtPassword=yyyyyyy

Um...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Renegret posted:

Um...

Stop bugging in house developers! This isn't a security issue!

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Renegret posted:

Um...

Bonus points if it's HTTP-only with no HTTPS option.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Casull posted:

Bonus points if it's HTTP-only with no HTTPS option.

Do I really need to answer that?

The only saving grace is that LDAP isn't set up on it so everyone just uses the same generic authentication credentials. I can't believe I just typed that out as a "good" thing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Renegret posted:

Um...

I remember old Sonicwalls doing that in the status bar.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

rob_squared posted:

This is kind of late, but I had the same situation years ago, and the request for staggered lunches only made sense because it was front like phone support and was customer facing. It's pretty sad that people outside your dept couldn't realize there's a difference.

Yeah, my place does the staggered lunches thing. Its pretty depressing, the departments are already pretty small and not many people talk to eachother inter-department, which combined with me not really clicking with the guys in my department (football and cars aren't my thing, so I can only really jump in when people fancy talking about world news and the like) means i'll usually end up eating alone most days, as everyone else has already paired up.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I remember old Sonicwalls doing that in the status bar.

Tell me they're significantly better thee days please?

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Dirty Frank posted:

Better than that, but they are a bitch to deal with.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dirty Frank posted:

Well they definitely do HTTPS now, at least.

A c E posted:

Better than that, but they are a bitch to deal with.

My problem with Sonicwall is that you have to do everything three times. Given how you configure them, you'd think there would be some way to have firewall entries automatically translate to NAT entries and vice versa. Or at least partially populate.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Well they definitely do HTTPS now, at least.

My problem with Sonicwall is that you have to do everything three times. Given how you configure them, you'd think there would be some way to have firewall entries automatically translate to NAT entries and vice versa. Or at least partially populate.

Yeah you gotta love that. Then there's the zombie items that can't be delete, because they supposedly exist elsewhere (Not really though, I've checked). We had to flatten one because we couldn't remove about 20 address objects from years ago that were no longer used but stuck.

I'd like to have some words with whoever made that god awful web interface as well.

I was fighting with one today actually. I solved one problem but not the other. We have our main port that goes out to the central switch and has a LAN plus a few VLANs defined. Works well since that switch feeds everything else in the building and sets the VLAN tags for anything connected to it. However, We do have a few devices in the same room though that could run directly from a SonicWall port to free up the switch a bit, but while you can PortShield X2-6 to X0, it forces anything connected to it to be a part of the primary LAN, you can't set it to a VLAN as far as I can tell. Some of the devices could tag themselves, but I'm really annoyed I can't just tell it that anything connected to port X5 is VLAN 20, X6 is VLAN 40, etc.

You can't set a DHCP pool based on port either. Static IPs don't matter either if it thinks it should have a LAN IP. I just want to use the ports without making a new subnet on each one.

I'm sure part of the issue is this is the first time I've ever dealt with VLANs and networking is not exactly my strong point. The boss just had a kid though, so I've been left alone to do some major re-networking, alone.

For content, a ticket came in: telling me that I need to have a computer ready and moved for someone at 11am tomorrow. This is a computer that recently failed with a bad hard drive that had a ton of specialized software. I was ask on Thursday when it would be back in production and since we didn't even have the new hard drive yet, I told them it would be MAYBE Monday evening, but most likely Tuesday evening since I have to reconfigured it and test it to make sure there aren't any issues. Apparently over the weekend someone else told them it'd be ready for Monday morning since they had starting setting it up. Of course, they can't get the stupid software to work on it and I'm the only one who actually knows how to use it, so guess who has to rush tomorrow to get it done?

At least when something goes wrong I get to point fingers at people for making unrealistic promises and not following my recommendation which allowed for proper testing. This place never thinks to allow for time to test things before putting them into production. It's amazing that it hasn't burned down yet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A c E posted:

I'd like to have some words with whoever made that god awful web interface as well.

Oh, yes, and interface wise I loving hate them. The windows that pop up to actually add/modify stuff have absolute positions for the buttons or something, so in order to hit "OK" on my laptop, I have to maximize the window and scroll down.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dirty Frank posted:

Remember a few pages ago when someone mentioned that even though the firewall was set to allow any connection in or out, they still had trouble doing some things?

I see that poo poo with SonicWall all the time. I don't know how many times I've been brought in to a customer's machine when their backups couldn't be uploaded, and the culprit turned out to be Sonicwall. Despite customers setting an any/any rule, SonicWall insists on stripping the HTTP headers or otherwise mangling the connection attempts.

Add a separate rule and it's fine. Usually. It's ugly as hell when it's not.

There was an update to Sonicwall in mid/late January (or something like that) that caused a significant uptick in support cases for my product because of that crap.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

A c E posted:

You can't set a DHCP pool based on port either. Static IPs don't matter either if it thinks it should have a LAN IP. I just want to use the ports without making a new subnet on each one.

I think you can do this, if you bridge the two interfaces, maybe? There's some weird stuff on our sonicwall with bridged interfaces because we have LAN extensions between our office and other sites and I'm sure we have at least two ports that share the same subnet. Even if you can't use the same subnet, you can use the same Zone and get most of the benefits.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Renegret posted:

Um...

I remember clanbase.com having a similar issue 17 YEARS AGO, if you linked something on the site while logged on you always had to check if the link didn't have the User ID in it that enabled the linkee to wreck havoc with your account.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
RIP fellow goon and SH/SC'er Evilmuppet :( Hopefully he's in a better place now.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

evobatman posted:

RIP fellow goon and SH/SC'er Evilmuppet :( Hopefully he's in a better place now.

What?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evobatman posted:

Could we please have some details and/or a link?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If you wanted to hear an Australian guy who claims to collect expensive watches screaming into a mic while a slideshow of lovely equipment scrolls over the screen, have I got the video series to kick off your Monday.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Could we please have some details and/or a link?

Post on GBS. Reader beware.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

That is extremely sad. And the goons in that thread make me extremely mad and glad I avoid gbs.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
What the hell happened to GBS? Wasn't there a rule of no shitposting in there?

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

namol posted:

GBS is now a lovely FYAD-like, has been for a few months.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

namol posted:

Basically there's no rules outside of NWS stuff and people do whatever they want, change went in around Halloween.

So really that's the worst possible place to post something serious like that and it's not surprising all that shitposting happened.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
...A pair of 9,000,000 volt Stunbatons came in for my manager and his 2IC :stare:

Help?

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 10, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

That was literally the worst place to post that.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Theresa Frontpage posted:

I think you can do this, if you bridge the two interfaces, maybe? There's some weird stuff on our sonicwall with bridged interfaces because we have LAN extensions between our office and other sites and I'm sure we have at least two ports that share the same subnet. Even if you can't use the same subnet, you can use the same Zone and get most of the benefits.

I think I looked into that and wasn't able to do it properly. Normally you can just Portshiedld one port to another but because the VLANs are there and I want them assigned on that port it really screws things up. That's a good point about just leaving them in the same zone but on a new subnet, I might be able to make that work.

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, yes, and interface wise I loving hate them. The windows that pop up to actually add/modify stuff have absolute positions for the buttons or something, so in order to hit "OK" on my laptop, I have to maximize the window and scroll down.

I have to do the same, it's frustrating as hell to do it everytime.

Also, really sad to read about Evilmuppet. It's also a shame that that was posted in GBS.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

A c E posted:

Also, really sad to read about Evilmuppet. It's also a shame that that was posted in GBS.

We all like to joke around about drinking heavily, or anger issues, or other things that come from a lot of the jobs in our high-stress low-return field. This is a stark reminder that sometimes it's not a joke whether the underlying cause was work related or not. If you're experiencing these kinds of thoughts please reach out and get help.

I'm really going to miss that avatar, it brightened my day every time I saw it.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I work for a very large printer corporation contracted at the largest hospital complex in the state to fix their machines. Not serious IT, but I get to tear apart giant machines and put them back together and it's pretty cool.

A ticket came in.

"HIGHEST PRIORITY: AFFECTING PATIENT CARE. My machine is unable to print."

It was offsite, about a half hour drive. I got there and the machine was repeatedly crashing every time she tried to print her Groupon to a Skillet concert. I told her the machine was rejecting her taste in music, deleted the job, made sure it printed everything else fine, and left.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Affecting patient care? I'd be so loving pissed that I'd be reporting her rear end to a supervisor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So hold on...

Your job is supporting printers in a hospital?

Jesus.

• Locked thread