Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Because sitting in traffic not moving is a horribly dangerous time to check your phone.

As usual things have gone like this:
someone plows into another car doing 80 while checking their phone
Laws are passed to prevent this happening
the police realize they can print money if they bag everyone who is stopped, not dangerous, but technically breaking the law + easy to catch
They ignore everyone who is driving around while using their phone, because that isn't as easy as catching people in traffic jams, even though it is far more dangerous

And now we have more laws, less freedom, and you are cheering them on.

Pretty much this. I don't use my cellphone at all when I am moving. But I will send out a quick text if and only off my tires aren't moving. As soon as my wheels start to move I put the cell down immediately; mid text and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

Connecticut has made all non-hands-free cell use, including texting, illegal. It has accomplished zilch.

From a few pages back, but why am I never surprised when lawmakers don't even bother to look up if they have scientific support for laws (or exemptions for said laws).

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A meta-study done by the Swedish Road Administration (title: Analysis of the literature - the use of mobile phones while driving) notes the following interesting things (among others, my bolding):

quote:

Regardless of whether the phone is handheld or handsfree, there is strong
evidence that the actual task of conversing on the phone, whether it be listening or talking, while driving
places significant cognitive demands on drivers and distracts them from concentrating on the safe
operation of the vehicle and any hazards arising in the road environment. Experimental evidence shows
that mobile phone conversations while driving, regardless of whether they are conducted on handheld
or handsfree devices, affect measures of driving performance.

also

quote:

The dangers of mobile phone use relative to other important crash risks (e.g., alcohol intoxication) have
also been examined and it can be concluded that when driving conditions and time on task are
controlled for, the impairments associated with using a mobile phone while driving can be as profound
as those associated with driving while intoxicated by alcohol.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

Plus every single cop ordered to filter through stopped traffic looking for phones is one more policeman -not- catching people committing more serious moving violations or responding to far more serious actual crime.
But he's splitting traffic all day! He's having so much fun!

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

things about phones

I've heard a lot of people talk about the risks of driving and talking on their phones, and who want regulations up to and including cell phone jammers standard in vehicles (?!?!?!!!!). To the people suggesting that, I usually respond thusly:

Are you suggesting lawmakers ban all phone use by the driver of a vehicle?
Should it matter if the vehicle is stopped or parked?
What about emergency situations?
What about emergency personnel or others using CB radios?
What about the distracting effect of other things in the cabin of the vehicle, such as passengers?

How on earth do you propose this law be enforced? Should the police pull over anyone who appears to be yelling at their dashboard?

Laws aren't the answer, not being an idiot is.

Sadly, some people will be idiots regardless, and legislation is not an effective instrument to combat this.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I do my best to safely throw a shitfit when I'm a passenger and the driver is texting and rolling.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Duckboat posted:

Well, as evidenced by this thread and life in general, idiots aren't gonna be in short supply anytime soon, so what do you suggest we do in the meantime? Anti-idiot camps?

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force idiot"

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
I wish I had a good answer to this. :sigh:

I just drive like everyone else on the road is an idiot, and recommend others do the same (maintaining situational awareness, making sure you have decent brakes and tires, pulling over to let tailgaters pass, etc.).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Duckboat posted:

I wish I had a good answer to this. :sigh:

I just drive like everyone else on the road is an idiot, and recommend others do the same (maintaining situational awareness, making sure you have decent brakes and tires, pulling over to let tailgaters pass, etc.).

Basically this. God self-driving cars cannot come soon enough.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just let the idiots be idiots and do my best to get the hell away from them and stay the hell away from them.

I had some moron almost cut me off today (was passing them at ~20 over their speed as they were stuck behind a very slow driver) and only slamming on the brakes and high-beaming them kept them from causing a collision. They literally started pulling out in front of me without checking their mirrors at all when I was around a half carlength back and closing fast. Once the highbeams and horn went on, they swerved back into their lane. If I hadn't been half expecting pure stupidity, I probably wouldn't have hit the brakes in time.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
A big shout-out to the dude in the '04 Sienna with PA tags that flew up behind me in traffic and tailgated until I had a chance to move over, at which point he proceeded to do the same thing to the whole line of cars, until he had bullied all of them out of his way. I was happy as poo poo though because I had hopped right back in behind him after being passed and just followed this guy all the way to my exit. We were rolling 80+ the whole way, knocked 10 minutes off my normal drive home.

Sometimes assholes are useful.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Duckboat posted:

I've heard a lot of people talk about the risks of driving and talking on their phones, and who want regulations up to and including cell phone jammers standard in vehicles (?!?!?!!!!). To the people suggesting that, I usually respond thusly:

Are you suggesting lawmakers ban all phone use by the driver of a vehicle?
Should it matter if the vehicle is stopped or parked?
What about emergency situations?
What about emergency personnel or others using CB radios?
What about the distracting effect of other things in the cabin of the vehicle, such as passengers?

How on earth do you propose this law be enforced? Should the police pull over anyone who appears to be yelling at their dashboard?

Sadly, some people will be idiots regardless, and legislation is not an effective instrument to combat this.

How do you think seat-belts became standard on every car? It wasn't because people wanted them. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of what the best idea is at this point. People are far too comfortable with having a dozen things to distract them while driving and will rationalize every single one of those behaviors no matter how many laws are passed. Short of the manufacturers curtailing future car tech, no amount of legislation will keep people focused on the road. Perhaps if the laws carried similar penalties to a DUI, such as automatic loss of license, if it was proven that the driver was using his/her phone at the point of impact, but I don't really see such a law passing anywhere.

Until we get a new version of MADD, that is. And nobody wants that.

revmoo posted:

Basically this. God self-driving cars cannot come soon enough.

Demolition Man is the future.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sir Tonk posted:

I hope not, the three seashells sound uncomfortable as hell

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
... you don't know how to use the seashells? :haw:

We should probably just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
On a more serious note when you're talking about legislating things like seat belts, you're talking about forcing manufacturers to include a feature and its added cost when the (usually bottom end of the) market isn't totally sold on the need. You have to do that across the board or you'll give the manufacturers that don't do it a possible advantage. That's a better analogy for things like ABS, or more recently, backup cameras. Car manufacturers can't do a drat thing to keep people from bringing their cell phones into the car.

Also, and I say this as someone who despises car texting and 'distracted driving', I think you're really excessively demonizing it and playing up the consequences, possibly because you don't realize how absurdly common a practice it really is.

In general laws against idiocy fall flat, because no one ever, ever believes they're the idiot the law was made for.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

I enjoy Taco Bell so I'm ok with this.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Snowdens Secret posted:

On a more serious note when you're talking about legislating things like seat belts, you're talking about forcing manufacturers to include a feature and its added cost when the (usually bottom end of the) market isn't totally sold on the need. You have to do that across the board or you'll give the manufacturers that don't do it a possible advantage. That's a better analogy for things like ABS, or more recently, backup cameras. Car manufacturers can't do a drat thing to keep people from bringing their cell phones into the car.

Also, and I say this as someone who despises car texting and 'distracted driving', I think you're really excessively demonizing it and playing up the consequences, possibly because you don't realize how absurdly common a practice it really is.

In general laws against idiocy fall flat, because no one ever, ever believes they're the idiot the law was made for.

This right here is the reason for TPMS sensors, one of my biggest loving annoyances in the car world. Oh, you snapped a stem? Sorry, it's no longer $3 because people can't be bothered to check their god damned PSI levels, so instead you can pay $100!

Seriously, gently caress TPMS sensors so hard.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Texting, browsing, simply having your face buried in your phone was kinda recently made illegal in Sweden, following on past posts. My mother thinks it's a wise decision to leave actually talking on it legal, but that's because she hasn't been in an accident yet while looking (down at the phone not held up to the wheel) at who's calling or trying to dial up a number in moving traffic. She's not seeing what I'm seeing, I've made the passenger seat in the old 323 smell a little worse thanks to that.

(the 20+ year old seatbelt mechanisms in said car lock if you pull +/- the exact required rate and I hate them)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 9, 2014

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

This right here is the reason for TPMS sensors, one of my biggest loving annoyances in the car world. Oh, you snapped a stem? Sorry, it's no longer $3 because people can't be bothered to check their god damned PSI levels, so instead you can pay $100!

Seriously, gently caress TPMS sensors so hard.

Directly because of Ford Exploders rolling over on under inflated Firestone tires.
Also although technically illegal, you can find small shops that will throw normal stems in for you if you wish.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp thanks to some idiot drivers I am now sitting in a nursing home/rehab place with a double compound fracture of my tibia and fibula.

Last friday night (Feb 28th), I was on my way home, headed through one of the last intersections before heading out of town. The light turned green several hundred feet before I arrived at the intersection. A elderly couple where sitting in the opposite turning lane in their minivan, they did not have a green arrow.

I was almost exactly in the middle of the intersection when they decided to go ahead and make their left turn, causing me to t-bone them at around 40MPH. (orange X in image below)

There was just enough time for me to see them turn into my path and for my to put my right foot on the brake. I never got to push it though. The force of the impact pushed my body forward enough to break both my tibia and fibula.

They where not injured. I was airlifted to University of Cincinnati Hospital.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
drat man glad you are still with us.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Jesus. I'm glad you're alive.. I hope everything heals up fast and true for you.

This is why I always hate passing huge SUVs in turn lanes, because I know from experience that it blocks at least the adjacent two lanes from my perspective in a normal car.

I still see people blowing through turns with reckless abandon, because hashtag yolo or something. I've also had people tailgate me through a turn I felt dodgy on, only to nearly get into a t-bone when I myself just barely clear the intersection in time.

My city's started building all of their major expressways in an 'offset' way so the turn lanes are separated from the main lanes and are facing one another, but you can only really do that when you've designed it to do that.. every other major intersection in the city is difficult to see through when you're at the same grade.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of turn lanes, my town has been changing the lights so the turn lanes have flashing yellows any time traffic from the other direction has a green. It's nice as it lets you make the turn sooner if there is little oncoming traffic, though it took a while for them to do the majority of the lights and people to get used to them.

It's all well and good except for one intersection. There, only south bound traffic gets a green turn arrow to start with while north bound traffic sits at a red light. Then, both directions get green lights to go straight, flashing yellows for the turn. Then, south bound traffic gets a red and north bound enjoys a green left turn arrow. I have no idea why the two left turns are staggered like this as it doesn't seem to save anybody any time or make life easier.

Worse, if you are sitting at the south bound left turn waiting for north bound traffic to clear, suddenly you see all the lights turn red (you get a flashing yellow). Everyone's first instinct is that the light has changed and to clear the intersection. Unfortunately, oncoming traffic continues to enjoy a green light. It gets real confusing, no one knows who has to stop, and its hard to judge if there is a gap (is the oncoming car is stopping or going to barrel through) because you can't see what light the oncoming cars have.

East/west traffic works like normal. All the other lights in the town work like normal. Just this one. It's hosed up and I'm shocked I've never seen an accident there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stevewm posted:

Welp thanks to some idiot drivers I am now sitting in a nursing home/rehab place with a double compound fracture of my tibia and fibula.

Last friday night (Feb 28th), I was on my way home, headed through one of the last intersections before heading out of town. The light turned green several hundred feet before I arrived at the intersection. A elderly couple where sitting in the opposite turning lane in their minivan, they did not have a green arrow.

I was almost exactly in the middle of the intersection when they decided to go ahead and make their left turn, causing me to t-bone them at around 40MPH. (orange X in image below)

There was just enough time for me to see them turn into my path and for my to put my right foot on the brake. I never got to push it though. The force of the impact pushed my body forward enough to break both my tibia and fibula.

They where not injured. I was airlifted to University of Cincinnati Hospital.

Jesus! I hope those elderly fucks didn't try to play the "you are at fault because I am old and that makes me always right" card. Glad to see you are ok and I hope you make their insurance pay through the nose for this one.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
There are so many small infuriating things that people can do on the road.

Im turning left on a thruway entrance sitting at a red light, we get a green light and a green left turn light. Guy coming from opposite direction is turning right and is stopped waiting to turn. 2 cars go through, then he decided to gun it and merge between me and the guy in front of me. There are two lanes and he doesn't attempt stay in the right, he just immediately swoops left 2 feet in front of my bumper. I go into the right lane because I needed to be in that lane, but also because the tough guy thing is to take a look at who wronged you. After I caught a glimpse I accelerate off and he kept pace with me in case I wanted to go back in the left lane, he wasn't having any of that.

I loving hate people that are turning right on a red light when the opposite direction has a green arrow to go left. Once all the green arrow cars are through THEN you may start to turn right.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 9, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's some ugly stuff man.. hope you have a good recovery.

Car wrecks baffle me. I had a 35 mph head on last year and I was playing hockey a day later. I get they're pretty chaotic and the devil is in the details but it's still a huge difference between my results and your results.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Jesus! I hope those elderly fucks didn't try to play the "you are at fault because I am old and that makes me always right" card. Glad to see you are ok and I hope you make their insurance pay through the nose for this one.

They just happened to have the same insurance company as me. The insurance company was already giving me some flack. They where saying there was question if the light was really green or not, despite the police report and several witnesses saying otherwise. Due to this and the amounts involved (likely $20k for the aircare ride alone) I have already hired one of the best injury lawyers in my area.

I don't care if they where old. I am 30 with no debt but my mortgage and I intend to keep it that way. I am not going to be saddled with $100k in medical debt. The insurance company is going to pay; it is what they are there to do.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh, the joys of having the same insurance company. They try to screw you So. loving. Hard.

I had the same kind of thing happen when my last E30 got totaled. Traveling down right lane of a main street into town. Minivan is coming out of a Starbucks. Stops. Driver looks at me. I get to within about 50 feet and the driver must have floored it because I had enough time to say "HOLY SHI-" and turn/jab the brakes before impact. She was apparently trying to make a left turn across all those lanes (4+middle turn lane).

Have an imgur album. http://imgur.com/a/2qFjj

loving assholes, I loved that car. It wasn't even a native; it was a rental, from Orlando, with 5 kids and another adult passenger in the car. They were on a church trip. The driver was wearing white capri pants and spilled hot coffee all over her lap and it was the most glorious bit of karma.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Oh, the joys of having the same insurance company. They try to screw you So. loving. Hard.

I guess I got lucky then? Both of us had state farm when my car was totaled, took a couple days for the adjuster to go check out my car and once they decided it was scrap I had a check cut and ready for me to pick up.

It might have helped that all I had for medical expenses was an emergency room visit just to make sure everything checked out okay.

INTERNETRACECAR
May 25, 2005
Rabbit Injected!
I got hit while turning right into my driveway by someone attempting to pass me on the right, and of course, we're both on Geico. They tried to find me 25% at fault despite the other driver being issued a ticket, though submitting an appeal set things more or less right, and it didn't hurt that their own adjuster dislikes the company so much that he went the extra mile to make sure my car got extremely fixed. :V Of course, all of this happens less than a week after I installed the lift springs/new struts/new P/S rack/balljoints, so that was pretty frustrating.

End result? $260 Forester - 1, brand new Prius C - 0, and by zero I mean totaled.

At first I was faintly sympathetic, but after the accusations started, I realized that there are few things in life so delicious as the sound of an idiot wailing "MY BRAAAAAAND NEW CAAAAAAAR!" and bursting into tears while the cop reaffirms how stupid they are with a ticket for following too closely and a repetitive lecture on why you can't pass on the right.

Ordered a few parts, banged the fender back into place just like I did when I first got it, and aside from the swaybar that will be replaced when I stop being lazy, things are back to normal. Only with ARP wheel studs. And a roof basket. And more parts for the H6 conversion.

It's just enormously frustrating that you have to rely on a rogue adjuster to cover your rear end because the company that you've been paying all along for this does their best to pressure you into bending over and taking it.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I just saw somebody pull this dumbass maneuver:

I'm approaching the intersection, the light turns green, and the cars ahead of me are inching along and look like they're avoiding something. Turns out that there was a driving pulling out of a right turn. Alright, whatever, that doesn't bug me. But the driver then merges into the left lane (going straight) and makes a left turn from there... What the gently caress. gently caress lanes and lights, right? During business hours, this intersection is so god damned busy. S/he was lucky that the left turn lane had a protected green at the time (but maybe that was why the driver decided that s/he could drive like poo poo? :psyduck:)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you have any idea how long it would take to just drive up to the next intersection for a proper left, or go around the block to try again? That's entire seconds off their life!

Much better to risk the safety of everyone around them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stevewm posted:

They just happened to have the same insurance company as me. The insurance company was already giving me some flack. They where saying there was question if the light was really green or not, despite the police report and several witnesses saying otherwise. Due to this and the amounts involved (likely $20k for the aircare ride alone) I have already hired one of the best injury lawyers in my area.

I don't care if they where old. I am 30 with no debt but my mortgage and I intend to keep it that way. I am not going to be saddled with $100k in medical debt. The insurance company is going to pay; it is what they are there to do.

Good man. gently caress them and their accusations. Make sure they pay for everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. And don't let them lowball you on poo poo like the value of your car or "just" the emergency room/lifelight fees. You make them pay for recovery, rehabilitation, and everything else.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

krnhotwings posted:

I'm approaching the intersection, the light turns green, and the cars ahead of me are inching along and look like they're avoiding something. Turns out that there was a driving pulling out of a right turn. Alright, whatever, that doesn't bug me. But the driver then merges into the left lane (going straight) and makes a left turn from there... What the gently caress. gently caress lanes and lights, right? During business hours, this intersection is so god damned busy. S/he was lucky that the left turn lane had a protected green at the time (but maybe that was why the driver decided that s/he could drive like poo poo? :psyduck:)

I have an intersection near my place where people pull this exact move every goddamned day. The baffling thing is that people deliberately leave them room and wave them into traffic to do it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Could just repost that Louis CK favorite thing clip on every page of this thread.

I was that person you share the road with yesterday passing people in the right and middle lane on the highway. Only because there was either someone doing a rolling roadblock in the left lane, or they were going 70.5 mph while passing someone going 70.2 mph. Still, I'm sure most of them thought I was just another rear end in a top hat on a motorcycle. In my SUV I tend to just wait it out in the left lane but you can pass so quickly on a bike that I just get it over with. The people who pace Semi trucks are the scariest to me, why would you hang out along side of one any longer than it takes to pass it?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Unfortunately, I have no pictures to share but some dork at the sheriff's department figured that Saturday afternoon would be the best time to escort some huge tall/wide load through the nearest major intersection to my house. It has three shopping centers and a mall on the four corners, so it's rather busy on Saturday afternoons even without a half-dozen sheriff's deputies on motorcycles temporarily closing off the intersection. I couldn't get a good look at whatever they were escorting, but it was at least two lanes wide and tall enough that they had utility crews temporarily removing traffic light poles that the load couldn't fit under. Really guys, you couldn't do this at 3 am on a Sunday morning?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRmAi4_ip-A&t=145s

(you may want to mute it to block out the childish swearing. I was having a bad day)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
FR-S with blue headlights = good indicator of being a shithead.

I had to brake check one after being tailgated going 75 in the #2 lane on the freeway this evening.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 10, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

nsaP posted:

Could just repost that Louis CK favorite thing clip on every page of this thread.

I was that person you share the road with yesterday passing people in the right and middle lane on the highway. Only because there was either someone doing a rolling roadblock in the left lane, or they were going 70.5 mph while passing someone going 70.2 mph. Still, I'm sure most of them thought I was just another rear end in a top hat on a motorcycle. In my SUV I tend to just wait it out in the left lane but you can pass so quickly on a bike that I just get it over with. The people who pace Semi trucks are the scariest to me, why would you hang out along side of one any longer than it takes to pass it?

I wouldn't even consider that bad riding. If you want to pass and there is an open lane and the others are being parked in, screw it.

I almost, sorta feel bad when I come upon a 4 or 5 lane rolling roadblock and lane split between them. I'm sure splitting by at 70 wakes them up from their stupor for a few seconds, and I'm very sorry for it obviously, but goddamn move the gently caress over. If you ever used your rear view for more than checking your makeup you might notice there is about a half mile of cars stuck behind you while there is a quarter mile of no one in front.

I am the people you share the road with.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Chinatown posted:

FR-S with blue headlights = good indicator of being a shithead.

I had to brake check one after being tailgated going 75 in the #2 lane on the freeway this evening.

Did the brake check you had to do make him drop the gun he was aiming at you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

Did the brake check you had to do make him drop the gun he was aiming at you?

Yes.