Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

jassi007 posted:

So I went 2-3 with my affinity build, but Affinity in the finals assures me that it is still relevant and I just need to be a better player hehe.

Affinity will always be relevant because it's a pretty fast aggro deck, no matter what. I forgot how your sideboard list was, were the Illness in the ranks good against some of the Twin variants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Boxn posted:

Affinity will always be relevant because it's a pretty fast aggro deck, no matter what. I forgot how your sideboard list was, were the Illness in the ranks good against some of the Twin variants?

Pulled them. This was my final list http://deckbox.org/sets/610085

My matches were

round 1 Gr Tron. Won in 3, he misplayed some, he firespouted for green only when I didn't have any fliers out.

round 2 UWR control. Lost in 2. Drew a defense grid, tried to play out threats to get him to tap out but it is so hard. He had one mana open, I went for it, he of course had the spell snare. That deck has so many answers and I need to practice against it more.

Round 3 Melira Pod. I don't think he was very good. He also didn't seem to find pods. Game 2 I dropped a grafdigger's cage on t1, so a few turns later he put out recap, shocked a guy. I untap and burn it, he tried to persist, reminded him that it did not come back. 2 turns later he is facing leathal, has a bird and an elf, taps out to Chord. I say "sure it resolves, nothing comes into play due to cage." He just looked at me and said "I had other plays if I had realized." Sorry guy

Round 4 Storm lost in 3. He was faster, I couldn't pull off the explosive start. G2 got the grafdigger's out again, again it was relavent. He went to combo off, did his thing for a bit, tried to flashback ravings. Reminded him he couldn't, he thought for 30 seconds then conceded that game.

Round 5 Merfolk. Turns out not being able to block them when they spreading seas you is rough. Game 3 was horrible, he mulled to 5 and kept a rough hand. I had a good one. He went t1 mutavault, t2 mutavault aethervial, I spell pierced it. His shoulders slumped, I swore I had the game in the bag I knew he didn't have any islands. Well turns out that I had like 2 creatures to attack with 1 and 2 with, and he was able to stabalize in the 8 turns I didn't draw one god drat burn spell, arcbound ravager, steel overseer, or cranial plating.

I think so changes will be in order. Grafdigger's was the star of my sideboard, spell pierce was good when it came up. I really need to decide how I want to continue, I'd like to have a lot more games under my belt before I did something like this again, and that is hard unless I buy into modo. I could sell some things to do that, but I'm not sure if I want to.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 10, 2014

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Seconded. I wonder how hosed up these things get in Chinese or French. Do they sort of shoehorn these names into that language's phonetic constructions or is it a totally different made up word for them? Like if I said "Polukranos" to a Japanese player never exposed to an English copy of the card, would they know what I was talking about? I know actual English words get translated (see: everyone's favorite foreign card, Retard), but I've never thought about the made up names before.

Bit late answering, but if anyone's interested in the Chinese translations, here's what I've noticed...

The simplified Chinese for Polukranos is 吞世客波禄诺斯 ( tun shi ke bo lu nuo si). The first three characters mean (roughly) 'Swallow of Worlds'. The last three are a transliteration of Polukranos (bo lu nuo shi). Transliterating the proper noun is normal for Chinese, unless it has some independent meaning that can be translated. For another mixed transliteration/translation example, Courser of Kruphix is 克罗芬斯的骏马. 克罗芬斯 is a transliteration of Kruphix (Ke luo fen si) and 骏马 means a good horse, or something. 的 is a grammatical particle that indicates possession. So if you Google Translated a couple of times, you'd probably end up with 'Keluofensi's Good Horse'.

On the other hand Chromanticore is 五彩翼狮, 'Five Colour Griffin' rather than a transliteration (which would be something like 客慢特括, or ke man te kuo). It has a name which is intended to convey a certain meaning, and that meaning can be translated.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Applebees posted:

Their solution is that those people that are 13-2 or better but don't make top 8 still get Pro Tour invitations. A Grand Prix is really long, and they don't want to add another round.

Also not this level of invite is NOT the same as winning a ptq. No flight, no hotel, just the right to play. Better than nothing though!

Tiebreakers were very odd as mentioned. IT's because they did a 'new' tournament on day 2 as day 1's games were three separate events. Wotc software unscalable? Well I never!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The most kick-in-the-stones Shatterstorm, just played on camera.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

"Grand Prix Richmond Champion Brian Liu used Shatterstorm. It's super effective!"

Chapin for commentary for life.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Boxman posted:

"Grand Prix Richmond Champion Brian Liu used Shatterstorm. It's super effective!"

Chapin for commentary for life.

Chapin and Cedric might replace Cedric and Patrick Sullivan as the best commentary duo. That Shatterstorm was filthy.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
"He can get anything. Even a boat."
"What's the casting cost of a boat?"

I love these guys.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Kiki Pod wins! Was hoping for Affinity but that's still better than Melira Pod/Twin winning.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm watching round 6 and Patrick Chapin said "He's scried it to the bottom now we're here" hahaha this guy is the best

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still catching up. I can't be the first person to notice the missed pact trigger in round 14 right?

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/509548409 ~6:25:00 (the second pact, Josh's one)

:smith:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm still catching up. I can't be the first person to notice the missed pact trigger in round 14 right?

Sadly the only people that missed it was the commentators, floor judges, spectators, and players themselves. :(

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Korak posted:

Sadly the only people that missed it was the commentators, floor judges, spectators, and players themselves. :(

Same thing with the Azusa misplay during the Pro Tour. It happens, regrettably. :smith:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

It's been a good weekend.

Pussy Snorkel fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 10, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I was trying to find you this weekend to trade you my stuff :(

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I also posted about it, but yeah, those two turns were a poo poo-show for pacts. From "it looks like you missed it, but you'd already paid and actually untapped by accident" to "what pact, I drew and here's Ranger of Eos for turn".

I'm glad that Josh at least didn't end up winning, because that makes the whole "missing game loss trigger" and then making a critical potentially game-winning play way less of an issue. I still side on it just being an accidental miss, but it's still awkward to be watching while it happens and goes unnoticed.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Was LSV's Top 8 match on the coverage? I'm reading the recap and paused at the very first line:

quote:

Darksteel Citadel, Memnite, Mox Opal, and Etched Champion were the turn-one plays from Sigrist. It was a decent start, I guess.
Unless I'm missing something, that play is impossible, so...

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah I think the first champion was down on Turn 2. Can't remember what actual the fourth card was though. Vault skirge?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yup. And there it goes, Kiki Pod wins GP Richmond and boom, the prices spike.

Could've bought the Pods at 13 and now they're 20. Lovely.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Was LSV's Top 8 match on the coverage? I'm reading the recap and paused at the very first line:

Unless I'm missing something, that play is impossible, so...

It was on coverage and it was turn one. Sigrist went citadel, Memnite, Mox Opal tapped citadel and Mox Opal for 2 then played a second Mox Opal untapped and legend ruled away the tapped one for the third mana.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Here's a better representation my weekend at Richmond.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What's the W, is that a misprinted card back?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

UberJew posted:

It was on coverage and it was turn one. Sigrist went citadel, Memnite, Mox Opal tapped citadel and Mox Opal for 2 then played a second Mox Opal untapped and legend ruled away the tapped one for the third mana.

Cool, thanks. Had a feeling that might have been what happened but it's a noteworthy enough play that you'd think coverage wouldn't just gloss over that nuance of him playing 2 Mox Opals to pull it off.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

vOv posted:

What's the W, is that a misprinted card back?

Yeah, it's a card with a Wyvern back.

http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=2353

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
I've finally bought back in to this stupid hobby after not playing since Planeshift, so I picked up the Theros and BotG event decks to kitchen table at home - do either of these go anywhere decent?

The Theros event deck looks very different to most UW control decks I've seen (but I'm not going to spend $100 on Revelations)

If I add a couple of Pack Rats and another Desecration Demon or 2, does the BotG deck go ok? Maybe a couple of Gray Merchants and some more card draw?
Speaking of - is Read the Bones or Sanguimancy worth it or should I stick with Underworld Connections?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What a Judas posted:

Something about Relentless Rats and Mox Sapphire sharing camera time

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a Judas posted:

I know this will impress most people because it looks amazing but the Misprinted Foil Brainstorm from Masques is just INSANE, what a gem that is.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

I know this will impress most people because it looks amazing but the Misprinted Foil Brainstorm from Masques is just INSANE, what a gem that is.

No joke, it was an astounding find.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Please tell me you found it in someones binder instead of a retailer, that would make it so much cooler.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

Please tell me you found it in someones binder instead of a retailer, that would make it so much cooler.

It wasn't in his binder, but I got it from another player, yes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What do you mean Akroma's Memorial is worth actual money?! :aaaaa:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I don't mean this in a bad way, but how does someone like you end up with four foil heartless summonings in a trade haul? They just seem so random. Like, when it comes to stuff that isn't an awesome misprint or a staple/bling staple that you're looking to play with, do you just randomly see it and go :getin:?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

JerryLee posted:

I don't mean this in a bad way, but how does someone like you end up with four foil heartless summonings in a trade haul? They just seem so random. Like, when it comes to stuff that isn't an awesome misprint or a staple/bling staple that you're looking to play with, do you just randomly see it and go :getin:?

My buddy had them, and I want to pretend there's some sick Modern deck waiting to happen.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Count Bleck posted:

Yup. And there it goes, Kiki Pod wins GP Richmond and boom, the prices spike.

Could've bought the Pods at 13 and now they're 20. Lovely.

It's a Modern staple in multiple decks from a set that's only getting older, and the Phyrexian mana mechanic also means it's probably not ever getting a reprint outside of something like MMA. Unless those reprintings happen to be much bigger than expected, it can't really do much else but rise from here. Tarmo, Bob, and the fetches have shown that there really isn't a ceiling for Modern staples. If you want them, $20 is still a fine long term price.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Promoted Pawn posted:

It's a Modern staple in multiple decks from a set that's only getting older, and the Phyrexian mana mechanic also means it's probably not ever getting a reprint outside of something like MMA. Unless those reprintings happen to be much bigger than expected, it can't really do much else but rise from here. Tarmo, Bob, and the fetches have shown that there really isn't a ceiling for Modern staples. If you want them, $20 is still a fine long term price.

Oh, of course, I'm just saying about 4 hours ago I still could've got them for around 60 and change.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

What a Judas posted:

I would feel really uncomfortable carrying all that stuff around, or even bringing stuff to trade for a pile that big and rich. I know it wasn't all from one trade but still, how the hell do you even set up trades for some stuff that valuable? What do you trade to get a piece of Power 9?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I bought my first pod as a one-of for EDH when nobody had really made it work in Constructed yet. $2.50. Then the deck took off in Standard and Pod went up to $12+ and I kicked myself. Finished the playset (with foreign ones even) when Delver took over the spotlight and I could get them for $4. Have no idea when I'll use them. :shepface:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I would feel really uncomfortable carrying all that stuff around, or even bringing stuff to trade for a pile that big and rich. I know it wasn't all from one trade but still, how the hell do you even set up trades for some stuff that valuable? What do you trade to get a piece of Power 9?

I traded in random crap to SCG and got credit, so I picked up the Mox, Delta, and Drain. I get so much stuff in random trades it's actually profitable to do this.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you make some effort its pretty easy to rack up that value. I almost empty-quoted What a Judas's picture with one of a giant drug dealer wad of cash, I took the opposite approach to him and walked out of GP Richmond with more than half as much money in cash as I made last year. (and I didn't sell any of my playsets)

EDIT: Mind you I'm a jobless college student and make so little I don't even bother paying taxes but it was enough money to buy a WB Black Lotus in decent shape and maybe a pair of Moxen if I was so inclined.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What a Judas posted:

I traded in random crap to SCG and got credit, so I picked up the Mox, Delta, and Drain. I get so much stuff in random trades it's actually profitable to do this.

lol what constitutes $1,000 of "random crap"

• Locked thread