Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

excidium posted:

Broken in Safari. Looks like display: inline-block isn't getting applied properly on the divs.

I don't use inline-block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't use inline-block.

I just saw the display: flex and justify-content: center items. Once those were -webkit prefixed it looks perfect. Nice.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Sinestro posted:

Just needs the webkit prefix.

EDIT: I was playing around with this for a little bit last night.

Haha, you folks rock. Drawing a Gameboy is the new Hello World?

I've continued to add more detail, smoothing corners, adding grill, battery light etc. I've been surprised how easy it is to just keep going down the rabbit hole, even on a project as simple as this. It started as "draw some shapes", but has now included canvas transformations, the Math std lib, doc blocks, lint cli tools via node* etc. I even got sidetracked on Khan Academy for a few hours while I brushed up on some (embarrassingly low level) math.

Learning is fun. :science:

* While sidetracked looking at node, I noticed that node tool devs seem to recommend users install them globally. What has the collective node community been smoking that makes them think people should be running third-party package managers as root? I think I even glimpsed a blog post that recommended you chown the entire /usr/local dir or something. That poo poo is nuts. I decided to just "install" stuff into a node_modules dir in my home and symlink the tools to ~/bin which is in my PATH.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Xik posted:

What has the collective node community been smoking
JavaScript is a hell of a drug.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Ok maybe not as impressive as some other things in this thread, but until a month ago it had been about 4 years since I'd written any code. I decided that, rather than try to learn a new library (most of my experience was with XNA) and start a game I'd never finish, I'd instead just go ahead and build my own 2D game engine and maybe or maybe not worry about making a game with it later.

Teaching myself OpenGL has been a bit rough but finally getting over that initial "OH GOD WHATS A glTexEnv" hurdle and starting to see some results feels pretty great. Now this isn't exactly how things are going to eventually function, but this is about all it currently takes to get a bouncing Mario in my JOGL-based engine:

Java code:
public class JOGLTestProject implements Simple2DInterface {

int yVelocity = 20;
    int yPos = 100;
    GraphicObject mario;

public static void main(String[] args) {

JOGLTestProject testGame = new JOGLTestProject();

Simple2DEngine engine = new Simple2DEngine.Builder(testGame)
                                                  .size(800, 600)
                                                  .fullscreen(false)
                                                  .fps(60)
                                                  .title("Test Project")
                                                  .renderMode(RenderMode.IMMEDIATE)
                                                  .build();

engine.runGame();

}

public void init(Simple2DEngine e) {
        e.loadGraphic("mario.png", "mario");
        mario = e.newGraphicObject("mario");
        mario.x(100); mario.y(yPos);
    }

public void update(Simple2DEngine e) {
        mario.y(yPos);
        yPos += yVelocity;
        yVelocity -= 1;
        if (yPos < 0) {
            yVelocity = 25;
            yPos *= -1;
        }
    }

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
I've been improving the memory usage and rendering performance in my voxel engine which means I can now load and run large-ish terrains (about 2k^3 voxels) without my computer grinding to a halt.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Underwhelming screenshot, but significant to me. My clock timing is finally under control for musical MIDI note generation:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

MarsMattel posted:

I've been improving the memory usage and rendering performance in my voxel engine which means I can now load and run large-ish terrains (about 2k^3 voxels) without my computer grinding to a halt.

This is pretty loving awesome, are you holding the entire volume in memory at any one time or is it streaming from disk?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
More Gameboy:

I played around with different fonts but I couldn't find any on Google Fonts that looked right so just left it blank.

I was going to work up some html + js to enter rgb color values to change the individual component colors. I figured it would be a gentle intro into adding something interactive into the mix, but instead decided to sign up for 7drl. Hopefully I can throw together a working roguelike in canvas in a week, but even if I fail miserably, it will be a good learning experience!.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I had a few odd bug reports come in on BeagleSNES, and I have been doing some debugging to pinpoint the cause of some really weird errors:

That's the way it is supposed to look on the left, and how it looks under BeagleSNES on the right. I have a very important bit of information to pass along to everyone:

- GCC interprets the "char" datatype as "signed char" under x86
- GCC interprets the "char" datatype as "unsigned char" under ARM

Use those datatypes found in <stdint.h> in your cross-platform code. PLEASE. Endian-ness checking isn't always enough.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

hendersa posted:

I had a few odd bug reports come in on BeagleSNES, and I have been doing some debugging to pinpoint the cause of some really weird errors:

That's the way it is supposed to look on the left, and how it looks under BeagleSNES on the right. I have a very important bit of information to pass along to everyone:

- GCC interprets the "char" datatype as "signed char" under x86
- GCC interprets the "char" datatype as "unsigned char" under ARM

Use those datatypes found in <stdint.h> in your cross-platform code. PLEASE. Endian-ness checking isn't always enough.

char, signed char, and unsigned char are actually 3 entirely different types in C and C++, unlike the other types that can be specified as signed or unsigned (in which case not specifying "signed" is the same as the signed type). Never rely on char being either signed or unsigned -- always specify if you need one or the other.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
7drl dev log for fivepm:

quote:

You're a software developer at the largest cloud based software company in the country. It's five pm, time to go home. Who or what will prevent you from leaving the building?

List of things done:
  • Rewrote everything multiple times over as I learn new stuff.
  • Making sure to do things the most rear end-backwards way possible.
  • Wrestled with creating a UI and using text well, then remembered I'm in the loving browser and can just push some text to a div.
  • Reading blog posts from other devs who have made way more progress then I have.
  • Not making a good roguelike.
Things to do:
  • Everything.
I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and learning more then I thought I ever wanted to about Javascript.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Xik posted:

7drl dev log for fivepm:

List of things done:
  • Wrestled with creating a UI and using text well, then remembered I'm in the loving browser and can just push some text to a div.
  • Reading blog posts from other devs who have made way more progress then I have.
Things to do:
  • Everything.
I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and learning more then I thought I ever wanted to about Javascript.

This has a great style. I love it. Looking forward to playing it.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Xik posted:

7drl dev log for fivepm:

List of things done:
Things to do:
  • Everything.

Yeah, I love the look of this so far. Good luck! I really would have liked to participate this year, but there's no way I can balance it with work this week :(

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I made a silly little site about soccer because I got sick of converting timezones manually. Will be adding the world cup soonish, MLS, SPL and anything else that takes my fancy.
http://nextgame.info

I used Flask, but I think after adding all the extensions I used to make the thing I should have gone with Django, it would have saved me about a week of effort.

edit VVVVV soon!

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Aesion
Mar 14, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

I made a silly little site about soccer because I got sick of converting timezones manually. Will be adding the world cup soonish, MLS, SPL and anything else that takes my fancy.
http://nextgame.info

I used Flask, but I think after adding all the extensions I used to make the thing I should have gone with Django, it would have saved me about a week of effort.

No Bundesliga? :colbert:

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.

Dred_furst posted:

This is pretty loving awesome, are you holding the entire volume in memory at any one time or is it streaming from disk?

For the terrain I generate a density value for each sample by cheating a wee bit. I use a 2D heightmap, then for any sample (x,y,z) the "density" is y - (heightmap_value(x,z) * MAX_HEIGHT). This isn't a correct density field, but its good enough. The heightmap is generated from simplex noise, that's cached so there are only n^2 random values generated, rather than n^3 if I was using a 3D noise function.

For user mods I split the world in 32^3 cubes and dynamically create them as needed. Initially they are filled with the heightmap data and then the user mods are written to the grid. Right now I think I store more information at run-time than I really need to. I think it should be possible to just re-generate data on the fly as required, but I have a lot of old scaffolding code that made the initial development easier, but also does dumb stuff like use way to much memory, to refactor.

Here's a couple of shots of the full detail and then simplified scene:

Edit: and some user edits:

MarsMattel fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 11, 2014

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

tehsid posted:

This has a great style. I love it. Looking forward to playing it.

a slime posted:

Yeah, I love the look of this so far. Good luck! I really would have liked to participate this year, but there's no way I can balance it with work this week :(

Thanks for the kind words. I hope your expectations are set low though! It's a game made in 6 days by someone that has never done game dev before and is barely competent in the programming language being used.

There isn't much in the way of visual updates at the moment. I sat down and tried to hammer out an actual game concept since I didn't really have one. I've settle on building up around the concept of NPC interaction, helping co-workers, sensing moods and gaining social status. I got random co-corker generation going and also played around in firebug. I'm pretty confident working with the debugger now.

Since I had better post a screenshot in the screenshot thread:

That's after 10 turns. :ohdear: Slow as poo poo. The problem area is no surprise. It's the scaffolding map drawing code I put together that just checks the whole map and redraws it. A grid that is 38 by 28 is over a thousand cells. Each cell is a rectangle being drawn on every update.

I plan to take the simplest approach I can think of and just stack two canvas elements. Draw the static map once with the bottom one, then leave it. Then have the top one transparent and just update moving entities. Hopefully that will work, I'll investigate it more in a couple days when I have the core game mechanics written.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I've been making some good progress on my new game, which will be an adventure/puzzle game that teaches programming with Logo.
It uses an entirely keyboard-driven user interface, with a REPL and context-sensitive "targets" that indicate possible commands. Tab-completion makes this fairly fast and easy to navigate. The following gif demonstrates the REPL and how the UI works for the current in-game manual:

Still very much a work in progress.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Internet Janitor posted:

I've been making some good progress on my new game, which will be an adventure/puzzle game that teaches programming with Logo.
It uses an entirely keyboard-driven user interface, with a REPL and context-sensitive "targets" that indicate possible commands. Tab-completion makes this fairly fast and easy to navigate. The following gif demonstrates the REPL and how the UI works for the current in-game manual:

This is awesome! Please keep us up on the progress!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Janitor posted:

Love, love, love the keyboard driven interface. God drat. I'd probably give all my money for a nice, elegant keyboard interface like that for Firefox. I imagine it being a nightmare to develop with all the elements that take focus and stuff, but I can still dream.

7drl update:

The log won't be that... terse, those are basically just debugging statements since I was playing around with npc interaction. The goal of the game at the moment is to get out of the building. Go home from work since it's 5pm (hence name of game).

It's fairly simple, and you can literally walk straight to the exit and "win". The idea is that you go around the office interacting with co-workers and chatting them up or helping them and stuff. The point is to increase your social skills and social standing (represented by those two bars).

I'll probably work up some score based ending screen based on bunch of stuff, so there is a reason to play longer then 10 seconds...

Still so much to do and it feels like there is so little time to do it.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I've spent a lot of time writing menus and dialogs, and now I finally get to start tinkering with something that resembles gameplay.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Here's something i've been working on for a while that's finally screenshot worthy. Xcom turned into a platformer.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

munce: That looks pretty cool, man. Reminds me of the game Abuse.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

munce posted:

Here's something i've been working on for a while that's finally screenshot worthy. Xcom turned into a platformer.

These graphics look straight out of the 90s in the best way possible

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

munce posted:

Holy crap. That is SO COOL.

All those stupid X-Com spin-offs back then, and now we finally get one that looks awesome. :3:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

munce posted:

This looks fantastic.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

munce posted:

Haha this looks great, really clever use of the sprites. Looking forward to more updates. :)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Starting to make some actual units for my robot RPG:

I'm chopping up a bunch of stock photos of machinery and then assembling them with Esoteric Spine. I'm pretty happy with the results.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

dizzywhip posted:

These graphics look straight out of the 90s in the best way possible

They are - straight from the original xcom game. With a few additional death animations drawn by hand.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

SupSuper posted:

Haha this looks great, really clever use of the sprites. Looking forward to more updates. :)

You asked for it. Behold, the title screen:

I think it fits the action theme pretty well. Also the Use Stolen Graphics theme.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Ha! Dogs of War, right?

munce
Oct 23, 2010

pinacotheca posted:

Ha! Dogs of War, right?

Sure is. They just dont make games like that any more. Late 80s/early 90s was the best era. For cheesy graphics at least.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

munce posted:

They are - straight from the original xcom game. With a few additional death animations drawn by hand.

Ah, that makes sense. I never played it so I didn't recognize it. It kind of makes me wonder why nobody's making indie games in this style, I feel like people would eat it up.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

My software projects are getting so complex that half of my "screenshots" are of hardware and my notes:

Big plans in the works! :science:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
It may actually be cheaper to buy one of the MSP430s with a built in RTC than to get a discrete RTC (especially if you also have a use for the built in FRAM nonvolatile storage).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hendersa posted:

My software projects are getting so complex that half of my "screenshots" are of hardware and my notes:

Big plans in the works! :science:

1. That is impossibly neat, but I love the documentation / planning so much.
2. I am excited to see what you are coming up with hardware-wise, should be good!
3. Microchip has a great appnote (Compiled Tips 'n Tricks) that has like 99% of the usual methods of level conversion, be sure to check them out for your needs. I think you can probably find a PIC for your needs though and get uni-directional conversion; 5V tolerant I/O, run core @ 3.3V and you only need one shifter (a little BSS138 or something) to drive signals out to the SNES.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

Looks awesome, and I even envy your penmanship and exactness.

Please tell me where I can get this notebook and/or sheets of paper.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

It may actually be cheaper to buy one of the MSP430s with a built in RTC than to get a discrete RTC (especially if you also have a use for the built in FRAM nonvolatile storage).

I'm trying to keep the firmware to a minimum on this one, so I'm not too keen on throwing more intelligent parts into the mix that require code to drive them. The BeagleBone Black actually has a RTC onboard, so I have access to one for timing when the system is powered up. In this case, the DS1307 is for keeping the time while the BBB is powered down (hence the watch battery as a power source). For my small prototype, I don't have any qualms about using the RTC chip, though a production run of thousands of units would definitely benefit from less expensive parts.

movax posted:

Microchip has a great appnote (Compiled Tips 'n Tricks) that has like 99% of the usual methods of level conversion, be sure to check them out for your needs. I think you can probably find a PIC for your needs though and get uni-directional conversion; 5V tolerant I/O, run core @ 3.3V and you only need one shifter (a little BSS138 or something) to drive signals out to the SNES.

The more that I think about it, the more that I want to toss that PIC so that there is one less piece of firmware to keep track of. I'm thinking more about using one of the BBB's AM3359 PRUs to bitbang four GPIO lines: two for the clock and latch, and two for the serial output lines of each controller. Since these lines are all uni-directional (two out, two in), a bidirectional converter isn't strictly necessary. I was thinking four BSS138s or two GTL2002s, though I can easily work on my prototype using the BSS138 prototype board from Adafruit.

Filburt Shellbach posted:

Please tell me where I can get this notebook and/or sheets of paper.

You want this guy right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

dizzywhip posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I never played it so I didn't recognize it. It kind of makes me wonder why nobody's making indie games in this style, I feel like people would eat it up.

I think its because it takes a huge amount of effort to make the graphics look any good. There's dozens of frames for each character, plus the backgrounds. Even just taking the pre-made graphics out of xcom and putting it into this was a fair amount of work. If you were drawing everything from scratch you would need a really good artist (or art team) that are prepared to work for a long haul. I'm no artist, hence my use of art from someone else's game. Also nostalgia.