Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Geekboy posted:

Those posters would look 10 times better with fonts you could actually read and/or were not terrible.

How can a place so obsessed with design suck so very badly at choosing fonts?

Especially that Ratatouille poster. Jesus Christ that's infuriating.

trying too hard, 4/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Mondo has some good illustrators, but I haven't seen anything from them that suggests they have any decent designers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

quote:

What the hell is this even for? I can't read any of the poo poo on that page.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Neither can I, but I can guess which film with a rat in a chef's hat it's for.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lotish posted:

What the hell is this even for? I can't read any of the poo poo on that page.

That's clearly the Caucus Race from Alice in Wonderland.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Honestly, I'm kinda in love with the Peter Pan one:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

I love this Winnie the Pooh poster. It's perfect Pooh. Waaaagh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Neither can I, but I can guess which film with a rat in a chef's hat it's for.

This is almost as bad as Foodfight!

No film should ever be in the same conversation.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Is the Ratatouille one done by the same dude who did this one?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

schwenz posted:

Mondo has some good illustrators, but I haven't seen anything from them

Let's stop you right there, shall we?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is almost as bad as Foodfight!

No film should ever be in the same conversation.

Don't forget about A Cars Life, a "kids" movie where a the villain flat out murders one of the cars. At times it's like Hostel for kids.

http://youtu.be/iaRlPsBCBEc#t=235s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

leokitty posted:

I love this Winnie the Pooh poster. It's perfect Pooh. Waaaagh.

That Pooh is the poo poo.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Is the Ratatouille one done by the same dude who did this one?

Yes, Aaron Horkey. And he's a wonderful artist and everything, but he goes overboard with the hand lettering most of the time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
You guys are mad you can't red the title on a poster for a movie you instantly recognized?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

You guys are mad you can't red the title on a poster for a movie you instantly recognized?

It's true, [incomprehensible gibberish] and Twassic Tank are some of my favorite movies.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Renoistic posted:

I really like these, even if I've never seen the Black Hole and the second one isn't really a poster.

I really enjoy The Black Hole as a film, even though it has a few problems here and there. It is one of the very first science fiction films I had ever seen, if not the very first, and the whole premise itself stuck with me. And I enjoy Killian Eng's style a lot. (I have his Jodorowsky's Dune poster, and need to get his Argo poster as well.)

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Jedit posted:

Let's stop you right there, shall we?

you must be an illustrator. A snarky one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

DarkSol posted:

I really enjoy The Black Hole as a film, even though it has a few problems here and there. It is one of the very first science fiction films I had ever seen, if not the very first, and the whole premise itself stuck with me. And I enjoy Killian Eng's style a lot. (I have his Jodorowsky's Dune poster, and need to get his Argo poster as well.)
The ending to The Black Hole is insane and when I found out it was a Disney film years later I think I probably went "no loving way".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Incredibly dope/chill.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pierson posted:

The ending to The Black Hole is insane and when I found out it was a Disney film years later I think I probably went "no loving way".

I saw it when it first came out. I always knew it was a Disney film. The things I suffered because of The Aristocats and The Black Hole convincing me I wanted to see Disney movies should not be borne by anyone. Pete's loving Dragon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I too saw Black Hole when it came out, and although the production values are sub-Battlestar Galactica I still liked it, if only because most Disney films don't feature anyone getting shredded by a whirling-bladed Murder-Bot.

I also recently had to label a dilapidated laptop at work and wrote "OLD B.O.B." on it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I remember Pete's Dragon as being one of those weird Disney movies they made back in the seventies, along with the Leprechaun one with a very young Sean Connery, and errr the one with the old woman and the pirate ghost? It seems looking back they were flailing around with live-action integrated with cartoons and at one end of the spectrum you had Bedknobs and Broomsticks and at the other end you had Pete's Dragon et al.

The Black Hole I remember was some other thing entirely where on the one hand it started as kind of a Lost In Space-style sci-fi adventure. But then about halfway through maybe it turns downright Faustian as you find out whoops the crazed doctor made his underlings by ripping their faces off and replacing their heads with circuitry, and his robot companion (who's big and sharp and red, the opposite of the harmless friendly robots the heroes have) is basically Mephistopheles and even the main bad guy is scared of him. Then the finale was the main characters all dying and going to heaven, while the antagonist is forced to spend eternity in hell inside his robotic enforcer's body, stood atop a burning mountain as the damned parade below him. Not "oh hey the bad guy tripped and plummeted into the flames!" like Hunchback or "he fell and came to an off-sceen and nonspecific but definitely final" fate like Up or Tarzen or whatever, it's pretty drat explicit where he is.

I come from a very religious household so yeah that film left an impression.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 9, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pierson posted:

I remember Pete's Dragon as being one of those weird Disney movies they made back in the seventies, along with the Leprechaun one with a very young Sean Connery...

I was just searching for a "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" poster and came across this one for the incredibly bad "Mr. Superinvisible." I never realized that K-Tel had made a movie.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Pierson posted:

The Black Hole I remember was some other thing entirely where on the one hand it started as kind of a Lost In Space-style sci-fi adventure. But then about halfway through maybe it turns downright Faustian as you find out whoops the crazed doctor made his underlings by ripping their faces off and replacing their heads with circuitry, and his robot companion (who's big and sharp and red, the opposite of the harmless friendly robots the heroes have) is basically Mephistopheles and even the main bad guy is scared of him. Then the finale was the main characters all dying and going to heaven, while the antagonist is forced to spend eternity in hell inside his robotic enforcer's body, stood atop a burning mountain as the damned parade below him. Not "oh hey the bad guy tripped and plummeted into the flames!" like Hunchback or "he fell and came to an off-sceen and nonspecific but definitely final" fate like Up or Tarzen or whatever, it's pretty drat explicit where he is.

I come from a very religious household so yeah that film left an impression.

Not exactly, but close.

I'm not going to use spoiler tags, because The Black Hole is 35 years old now, however.

While Dr. Reinhart did do some awful things to the crew, it's heavily implied that he's lobotomized them and made them "robot-like", stuck doing the same menial tasking all the time. Old B.O.B. states that he doesn't know how the Doctor has kept them alive and doesn't want to know. However, we're given a clue as to what happens when Kate gets taken to medical and they start zapping her brain with the same devices that the "robotic" crew had been zapped by earlier.

What is unusual about the "Hell" scene, is that it is implied that the Reinhart/Maximilian hybrid/avatar is lording over almost all of the crew of the Cygnus. What did they do to deserve that? Or if the figures aren't the crew, then who are these figures?

As for "Heaven", the floating spirit going down the crystal hallway is never explained as blatantly as "Hell". Is it Jesus? Dr. Durant? Or even Kate's father, Frank McCrae? We're never told. But for Charlie, Kate and Dan, they basically emulate Dante's trip through both Hell and Heaven, albeit much more abbreviated. They exit out of a white hole and happen to be near a new planet. Since the mission of the Palomino's crew was to discover new life, the triumphant notes in the soundtrack, while the probe ship heads to that mysterious world, hint that their quest is now over. (And in fact, in the comic books that went further into the story, they do find life on that world, but that's not really canon.)

I mean, the religious symbolism is there absolutely. I mean, the good doctor paraphrased Goethe's supposed last words for his last words. "More light."

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a huge nerd for this film and I love it for it's total campiness and the adult questions it tries to ask. Even though it's kind of ham handed at times. :blush:

Pierson posted:

What's interesting is that it took the Black Hole for Disney to make Touchstone Pictures, so that the good name of Disney wouldn't be sullied by more "adult" themed movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't know what happened at the end of The Black Hole, but it couldn't have had anything to do with God because it's not out on Blu-ray.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

DarkSol posted:

Cool stuff.
Man that is some pretty heavy stuff. Black Hole isn't something I really want to revisit since I know the second time around won't be anywhere near as good you know? Might change my mind now. Had no idea Touchstone had anything to do with Disney so I guess that tactic worked! Looking through the wiki entry there's more stuff there too, including apparently a Jack Kirby adaptation(!) and they developed a whole camera system for it.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the remake if it doesn't get stuck in development hell. Albeit that was announced in like 2009 so it may already be tooooo laaaaaaate.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Pierson posted:

Man that is some pretty heavy stuff. Black Hole isn't something I really want to revisit since I know the second time around won't be anywhere near as good you know? Might change my mind now. Had no idea Touchstone had anything to do with Disney so I guess that tactic worked! Looking through the wiki entry there's more stuff there too, including apparently a Jack Kirby adaptation(!) and they developed a whole camera system for it.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the remake if it doesn't get stuck in development hell. Albeit that was announced in like 2009 so it may already be tooooo laaaaaaate.

I really think you should give it another watch. All this talk about it actually inspired me to watch it again, and while I'm writing up this post, the Cygnus is falling apart!

There is just so much that is interesting about this movie that I know, as a child, I would have never have picked up on. I've heard people call The Black Hole Disney's attempt at Star Wars, but it is so much more dark and horrifying.

Take Dr. Durant's disembowelment itself... In Star Wars, there is violence shown with Ben Kenobi cutting off that alien's arm, but the violence is so quick, you barely have time to react to it. The cantina freaks out during the act of violence, but immediately goes back to everything back to normal. Inversely, when Maximilian shreds Dr. Durant's stomach, you hear and see the act coming and then happening. Kate reacts in horror, while Dr. Reinhart just takes it all in stride... on the outside. Right afterward, he has this one moment of clarity where he breaks out of his insanity. The fear of Maximilian in his voice and eyes is so palpable, but after Kate rebuffs him, his grip on sanity is finally lost.

That all said, I feel that any sort of remake of the film would some how dumb down the metaphysical aspects of the original for the sake of making an easy buck or two. The Black Hole asks all these really deep questions, but it is held back because it is stuck in this PG film. Which is a shame.

Jedit posted:

I don't know what happened at the end of The Black Hole, but it couldn't have had anything to do with God because it's not out on Blu-ray.

I've seen it on TV in 720p, and it is a gorgeous film. The setpieces and model work are beautiful. It's a huge shame that Disney refuses to release it on Blu-ray.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

scary ghost dog posted:

I thought that was Land Before Time at first.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

We just did an Alcohollywood on The Black Hole, and I definitely agree that it doesn't hold up quite as well as you'd think. Basically, between the initial reveal of the Cygnus up until Anthony Perkins gets disemboweled (gently caress spoilers, the movie's older than I am), it's a complete and utter slog. The movie decides to actually pick up and get nice and dark at around that scene, and the rest of the time all the actors are completely phoning it in. The John Barry score is beautiful, as is the production design, which makes the dark Faustian stuff interesting, but the cast (despite their ability to incredible pedigree) is dull, and the pacing is incredibly slow.

computer parts posted:

I thought that was Land Before Time at first.

Yeah, I literally thought it was The Secret of NIMH or something at first. It took other posts for me to figure out definitively what movie that was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pierson posted:

As of September the remake is still slated for 2016. Joe Kosinski is on board as director and the script is being written by Jon Spaihts, who did Prometheus.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Did somebody mention Jurassic Park? A paleontology blog I follow has been posting these lovely posters for at least a week.

I quite like the one with the barcode, but nothing about it says island full of dinosaurs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:laffo:

Yeah, this is Jurassic Park in a nutshell alright.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Red Bones posted:

Did somebody mention Jurassic Park? A paleontology blog I follow has been posting these lovely posters for at least a week.

This is nice.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

scary ghost dog posted:

Why are you mad about people criticising the design of a poster...in a movie poster thread?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

I really like this one.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Why are you mad about people criticising the design of a poster...in a movie poster thread?

Am I mad?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

sassassin posted:

This is nice.

But pointless. If you're going to trace the nicest image from the film, just use the nicest image in the film.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

echoplex posted:

But pointless. If you're going to trace the nicest image from the film, just use the nicest image in the film.

It's been a while since I saw it, but I'm pretty sure that's not an actual image in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

zandert33 posted:

It's been a while since I saw it, but I'm pretty sure that's not an actual image in the film.

this is correct. It's a rendering of a scene with similarities to the one in the film, but the tree is not remotely the same one as in the film.