Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Mondrian posted:

I've finally bought back in to this stupid hobby after not playing since Planeshift, so I picked up the Theros and BotG event decks to kitchen table at home - do either of these go anywhere decent?

The Theros event deck looks very different to most UW control decks I've seen (but I'm not going to spend $100 on Revelations)

If I add a couple of Pack Rats and another Desecration Demon or 2, does the BotG deck go ok? Maybe a couple of Gray Merchants and some more card draw?
Speaking of - is Read the Bones or Sanguimancy worth it or should I stick with Underworld Connections?

The Theros event deck is just a UW aggro deck, it can be alright, but don't rely on on heroic too much unless you have good Bestow creatures, since you won't get blown out.

Stick with Underworld Connections, from what I remember the BoTG deck can go to either MBC or MBA, which is nice. Putting in Pack Rats is good, it's greater if you have Mutavaults. They're still amazing though, even without Mutavaults. Put a 4-of Grey Merchant if you're going for a Control route, same with the 4-of Demon, he's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Stinky Pit posted:

If you make some effort its pretty easy to rack up that value. I almost empty-quoted What a Judas's picture with one of a giant drug dealer wad of cash, I took the opposite approach to him and walked out of GP Richmond with more than half as much money in cash as I made last year. (and I didn't sell any of my playsets)

EDIT: Mind you I'm a jobless college student and make so little I don't even bother paying taxes

I'll be entirely honest, give me a month and I think what I walked out with will result in more than your haul. Not to brag or anything :P

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What a Judas posted:

I traded in random crap to SCG and got credit, so I picked up the Mox, Delta, and Drain. I get so much stuff in random trades it's actually profitable to do this.

Were you that guy I saw on saturday getting doled out multiple hundreds? There was another guy next to you and a massive stack of cards, I was just amazed as how many bills they put onto the table.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a Judas posted:

I'll be entirely honest, give me a month and I think what I walked out with will result in more than your haul. Not to brag or anything :P

Doesn't seem like a brag dude. I still can't believe those misprints, if you know the right buyers they will probably get you there all by themselves.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Were you that guy I saw on saturday getting doled out multiple hundreds? There was another guy next to you and a massive stack of cards, I was just amazed as how many bills they put onto the table.

Nah, I didn't get anything in cash. The 25% trade-in bonus is pretty legit (also this was Sunday).

Stinky Pit posted:

Doesn't seem like a brag dude. I still can't believe those misprints, if you know the right buyers they will probably get you there all by themselves.

The Brainstorm is most likely already gone, so yeah. :) The Wyvern was for myself, though.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a Judas posted:

Nah, I didn't get anything in cash. The 25% trade-in bonus is pretty legit (also this was Sunday).

I wish my local player base was bigger/I had better contacts. The 25% trade-in bonus can be so strong. My buddy traded in 1300+30% at CFB and finished his Duals + JTMS on Sunday. Sadly the smart play for me is getting cash, and then buying mostly standard and modern stuff locally at buy-list to sell on SA-Mart and TCGPlayer. I can only trade-in when I need stuff, and sadly Magic shops won't take trades for a new PC and an XBONE

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So are the guys who give up those misprints knowingly undervaluing them in trades with you because they just don't care about them? From the sound of it you're making like close to instantaneous value snapping these kinda things up, which I guess surprises me.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So are the guys who give up those misprints knowingly undervaluing them in trades with you because they just don't care about them? From the sound of it you're making like close to instantaneous value snapping these kinda things up, which I guess surprises me.

People value these things differently; I'm tapped into a market of collectors that most people aren't, so I can move these things with a lot more reliability than most people can.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You need to know people who will buy misprints and that's a significant hurdle. I've passed on several misprints I knew I couldn't make profit on because I don't know anyone who is interested in anything but re-selling them, I wouldn't make any profit then so instead I take what I know I can sell.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Korak posted:

Pros on twitter are talking about how messed up the software was for the tiebreakers on Day 2. Apparently since they split the event into three "different" events, when they reset everything on Day 2 this made people that were undefeated drop to say 60th place. Kibler is saying the match slips started with round 2. The more I'm reading the more this sounded like a clusterfuck much like Las Vegas had with people going I think 12-1-1 and not getting Top 8. Maybe they need to figure out a new formula for larger events. Would moving it to a Top 16 work better?

I don't think they need a new formula, they just need Event Reporter that can handle this number of people. At the moment, to my understanding the software handles ~2000 player tournaments as maximum. When your day 1 was split to three separate tournaments, you couldn't import the match data from these for day 2 (or have just one day 1 flight) and thus had to start from a clean slate. Which obviously shouldn't be ok.

One of the players was 13-0, the only one such after thirteen rounds, then lost the next two rounds for 13-2 and 13th place because tiebreakers. Salty.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wizards is bad at software? Who knew

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Stinky Pit posted:

If you make some effort its pretty easy to rack up that value. I almost empty-quoted What a Judas's picture with one of a giant drug dealer wad of cash, I took the opposite approach to him and walked out of GP Richmond with more than half as much money in cash as I made last year. (and I didn't sell any of my playsets)

EDIT: Mind you I'm a jobless college student and make so little I don't even bother paying taxes but it was enough money to buy a WB Black Lotus in decent shape and maybe a pair of Moxen if I was so inclined.

Funny thing about that. On Friday I did hang out and trade with and sell some cards to a few ~wizard barons~. We're talking people who have binders filled with nothing but cards no less than $150 each. I must've seen at least 3 drug deals happen in front of me - right next to the dealer booths. Guys had moxes and book jaces in front of them and didn't even want to sell it to the other guys. "Why would I need money," he quipped, "when I have enough money in the hotel room to buy out half this stock? I want your rare cards dude." Some of them had giant wads in their pocket, counting out $500+ to give to another guy. It was all pretty surreal and hilarious.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I thought cash transactions were forbidden with the exception of vendors. I guess they're not worried about getting kicked out of the convention hall?

edit: I'm not making any kind of moral judgement, just admiring big wads of cardboard loot.

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 10, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

End of Life Guy posted:

I thought cash transactions were forbidden with the exception of vendors. I guess they're not worried about getting kicked out of the convention hall?

Forbidden and literally impossible to police are two other things. SCG did a great job but they were stretched thin as hell. There is no way anyone had time to be bothered with policing that kind of thing.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh

Mondrian posted:

I've finally bought back in to this stupid hobby after not playing since Planeshift, so I picked up the Theros and BotG event decks to kitchen table at home - do either of these go anywhere decent?

The Theros event deck looks very different to most UW control decks I've seen (but I'm not going to spend $100 on Revelations)

If I add a couple of Pack Rats and another Desecration Demon or 2, does the BotG deck go ok? Maybe a couple of Gray Merchants and some more card draw?
Speaking of - is Read the Bones or Sanguimancy worth it or should I stick with Underworld Connections?

Just because its UW doesn't mean it is control, its an aggro'y midrange UW deck.

The BTG event deck is also an aggro deck so adding Desc Demon and Grey Merchants is counter intuitive to the style of deck. it you want to play mono black devotion then by all means buy the cards but don't shoehorn them into the event deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

One of the players was 13-0, the only one such after thirteen rounds, then lost the next two rounds for 13-2 and 13th place because tiebreakers. Salty.
I'm fairly certain that was the Scapeshift player, since he was the only undefeated player after 13 rounds I think. It was partially his own undoing - after going 13-0, he said in an interview that he was going to try to play the last two rounds and go undefeated. He also said he would draw the last round if he lost the one before it, but maybe he got paired down in the last round or something.

I'm just mad at him because I wanted my set of foil Scapeshifts to be worth a lot more. :(

What a Judas posted:

I traded in random crap to SCG and got credit, so I picked up the Mox, Delta, and Drain. I get so much stuff in random trades it's actually profitable to do this.

Teach me your ways! I want so badly to be able to trade for high value, but I'm a terrible salesman, so I never know how to get value out of a trade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mondrian posted:

All the MonoB staples are going down in price besides Thoughtsieze so if you want to play that this is a good time.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm fairly certain that was the Scapeshift player, since he was the only undefeated player after 13 rounds I think. It was partially his own undoing - after going 13-0, he said in an interview that he was going to try to play the last two rounds and go undefeated. He also said he would draw the last round if he lost the one before it, but maybe he got paired down in the last round or something..

Andrew Calderon. He got paired down in the penultimate round, which is inevitable if you're the only undefeated, but then he got paired down again in the final round and his opponent needed to win to get in.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hmm, might be time to sell my foil runed halo... Thanks grand prix!

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Went 2-3 in played matches, losing to tribal zoo, boggles and goddamn blue tron.

Went 3-0-1 in the Sunday 2hg event and got a foil v clique from the mm packs so there's that. Also sold some extras from the binder and walked away from the weekend with about half a grand of cash.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

Wizards is bad at software? Who knew

Sometimes, the god-awful YGO software is better than WER. Not even a joke.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

What a Judas posted:

My buddy had them, and I want to pretend there's some sick Modern deck waiting to happen.

I wish. Heartless Summoning was my favorite standard deck and I would jump at the excuse to actually play that card again.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Sometimes, the god-awful YGO software is better than WER. Not even a joke.

Notably, there are no draws in Yu-Gi-Oh!, which has a lot to do with how tiebreakers are very simple.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
With Pod and fetches, do you think it's possible to make an Esper hater-ade deck with Archive Traps, Glimpse the Unthinkable and Shadow of a Doubt as a shell?

Snappys and Aven Mindsensors?

I dunno, just trying to think of a fun hate deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

En Fuego posted:

With Pod and fetches, do you think it's possible to make an Esper hater-ade deck with Archive Traps, Glimpse the Unthinkable and Shadow of a Doubt as a shell?

As described, this deck has so many do nothings that I don't see how it would ever beat Zoo or Affinity, and I doubt its other matchups would be great, either.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

En Fuego posted:

I think milling 13 vs. Zoo is about the least relevant thing you could ever spend a card on.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think milling 13 vs. Zoo is about the least relevant thing you could ever spend a card on.

Solid point. I'm sure there's plenty in term of Path, Supreme Verdict, etc...

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

En Fuego posted:

Yes.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1185855

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1169511

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

En Fuego posted:

Solid point. I'm sure there's plenty in term of Path, Supreme Verdict, etc...

I saw a guy playing an esper mill deck next to me at Richmond and this was at the 2-1-1 tables so presumably he had a win or two

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

All the MonoB staples are going down in price besides Thoughtsieze so if you want to play that this is a good time.

Thoughtseize and Mutavault. :goonsay:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

En Fuego posted:

http://deckbox.org/sets/561531

The ultimate plan is to Archive Trap 4x on turn 0. But really, just mill a combo piece and Surgical Extraction it. I don't really play it except for fun because it's still a pretty bad deck but it has some surprises that come out of nowhere.

My favorite thing is playing against Tron, milling a tron land on turn 1 or 2, Surgical Extractioning it and laughing forever. I really hate Tron, incidentally. It seems to lose to every good deck more often than not and doesn't really serve a purpose besides preventing any sort of fair deck from being viable in modern. And I say this having something like 95% win rate against it. I've lost maybe 2 rounds to it ever, and they always come down to the same guy getting turn 3 natural Tron -> Karn 3 games in a row. Which he does every time we play.

Alternatively,
http://deckbox.org/sets/604196
This is still a work in progress but it's been pretty fun (for me) so far.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Love it. Even if it sucks (Crypt Incursion is awesome), it would be fun to get a couple of ragewins.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

suicidesteve posted:

Alternatively,
http://deckbox.org/sets/604196
This is still a work in progress but it's been pretty fun (for me) so far.

I looked at this deck the last time you linked a deck and I think I want to go for something like this. I started working on death and taxes around a year ago and can't afford it at all anymore because of lands, but I have all the other stuff for it. I think if I were to go into modern, I would either do something pretty hate bears like or just do b/w tokens. I like this list though and may start picking up some of the other pieces for it since it fits the style of play I like best.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Thoughtseize and Mutavault. :goonsay:

Indeed. Forgot about those but if you're playing any kind of competitive standard you need Mutavaults.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

En Fuego posted:

As it has been linked, it is a deck that can attack the meta. It is quite a fast deck to which nobody really has much defense, except the odd emrakul. But as an esper mill deck you have a simple sideboard card, rest in peace. I really thought about taking it to Ricmond, but when faced with getting "good" cards or 4x glimpses its super hard to justify. If that card was $5-8 I think I would have tried it, but I made good choices like buying Hierarchs at $21 each instead of Glimpses at $21.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Can I just point out that Shaheen Soorani ended in 18th place playing literally an old standard UW deck.

:modern:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

To be fair that WAS a really strong standard. And the majority of players there have probably never seen/played at that time, let alone against any of those cards individually. A new player can see t1 ornithopter and say "oh affinity I know what to do here from what I read", but a t3 jace will leave them confused, which is a massive advantage for Shaheen.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mortimer posted:

To be fair that WAS a really strong standard. And the majority of players there have probably never seen/played at that time, let alone against any of those cards individually. A new player can see t1 ornithopter and say "oh affinity I know what to do here from what I read", but a t3 jace will leave them confused, which is a massive advantage for Shaheen.

There is also the fact that Shaheen is some mutant control playing robot, he's no Wafo-Tapa, but hes close.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tharizdun posted:

Notably, there are no draws in Yu-Gi-Oh!, which has a lot to do with how tiebreakers are very simple.

I meant their software doesn't implode at a moment's notice and that it does a couple of things that WER doesn't that I really like (the biggest thing is the ability to print individual match slips, so if my computer decides to be an rear end in a top hat and not print everything, I can just grab the three I need).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.
I have a thing for the misprint guys here.

The weekend before last, I was at a Walmart and they still had some M12 boosters for sale, so I picked up the remaining three because I am a filthy casual and I didn't get much M12 when it was current. I pulled some good stuff (Primeval Titan :getin:), but in one of the packs, I only got two uncommons and this thing:

Yep, she's blank. I don't know how common this sort of thing is, but outside of writing "BLACK LOTUS LOL" on it in sharpie for use as a proxy, what good is this? Is it worth anything to misprint people? Should I be pissed that I got shafted out of a Phantasmal Dragon?

• Locked thread