Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

Jesus that's a lot of steps to enable something so simple.

You'd think people would be happy that there were so many fine-grained privacy options given the hullabaloo about the Kinect camera :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

I guess all the reviewers are just biased liars for mentioning it then :rolleyes:

Well, believing some nerd that writes for a video game website over my own first-hand experience would be pretty silly.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Blue Raider posted:

Well, believing some nerd that writes for a video game website over my own first-hand experience would be pretty silly.

It's not like that experience nullifies yours. If your personal experience always trumps everything else, it becomes that funny saga where Kinect works perfectly for some people and those who complain clearly didn't calibrate it correctly and there's absolutely no way that voice commands could be inconsistent.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Argas posted:

It's not like that experience nullifies yours. If your personal experience always trumps everything else, it becomes that funny saga where Kinect works perfectly for some people and those who complain clearly didn't calibrate it correctly and there's absolutely no way that voice commands could be inconsistent.

What kind of reality do you exist in where other peoples' opinions affect your own perception?

Besides, Titanfall has nothing to do with things that need calibration or involve different settings on consoles.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Blue Raider posted:

What kind of reality do you exist in where other peoples' opinions affect your own perception?

The scientifically proven one?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Blue Raider posted:

What kind of reality do you live in where someone else having single-digit frame rates is a lie because you've never had it drop that low?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

I see this attitude all the time. Nobody ever says "Well I don't have any problems, but it sucks if all these other people are". It's always "I don't have these problems, so I don't get why everyone is complaining".

Also applies to cases where you have a good experience with customer service but recognize that it's actually real lovely based on other peoples' experiences.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Argas posted:

What kind of reality do you live in where someone else having single-digit frame rates is a lie because you've never had it drop that low?

There have been multiple people in this thread that have claimed that nothing of the sort happened or is happening, yet you take a gaming journalist at his word that it is so.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like that his question suggests that it's a valid reality, though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Argas posted:

Mostly because it's only a single reviewer when no one else has mentioned that, and he doesn't actually have anything except a subjective "it seemed like it must have been single digits". Maybe it dropped to 20fps and he exaggerated massively, maybe not. Who knows. I don't read Giantbomb and don't know what else that guy has posted, but I've definitely seen reviewers elsewhere with axes to grind (not about the Xbone in particularly; basically I only read Ars which doesn't cover it much, and IGN, which LOVES EVERYTHING probably because they're paid shills for all the major game companies).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Blue Raider posted:

There have been multiple people in this thread that have claimed that nothing of the sort happened or is happening, yet you take a gaming journalist at his word that it is so.

The claims don't contradict one another. One person's experience is not another's but it can be helpful to inform yourself of potentials of that experience rather than only use one person's account and treat it as gospel.

Saladman posted:

Mostly because it's only a single reviewer when no one else has mentioned that, and he doesn't actually have anything except a subjective "it seemed like it must have been single digits". Maybe it dropped to 20fps and he exaggerated massively, maybe not. Who knows. I don't read Giantbomb and don't know what else that guy has posted, but I've definitely seen reviewers elsewhere with axes to grind (not about the Xbone in particularly; basically I only read Ars which doesn't cover it much, and IGN, which LOVES EVERYTHING probably because they're paid shills for all the major game companies).

Two reviewers, it was mentioned in Polygon though it doesn't mention how low it dips. I've made no claims that Titanfall is some kind of abysmal wreck of single-digit FPS, just that it's silly to say, "there's no way it could be true because it didn't happen to me."

It's good that Titanfall isn't a game that consistently performs terribly. There are FPS drops, some more significant than others but not so much that it's a single-digit mess constantly.

Argas fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 10, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Saladman posted:

Maybe it dropped to 20fps and he exaggerated massively, maybe not. Who knows.
as if that would be so much better?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Roll on the Digital Foundry article. I reckon they'll flat out say "they really should have stuck to 720p".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mr. WTF posted:

Seriously? You go from this:

"several players crammed their mechs into a tight area and began duking it out, and the frame rate dived down to what must have been single digits per second."

to posting this?

"the performance on The One is being independently reported as abysmal."

Do you actually see the disparity in what you are relaying? I'm so tired of reading this kind of loving hating bullshit. I'm sure there are plenty of things to be critical about in the game or about the Xbone in general, don't just make up fiction.

No disparity my friend. Single digits FPS is abysmal which ever way you cut it and it was on an independent site. My words are true, the Xbone can have abysmal performance in Titanfall at times. Sorry for your loss.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 10, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, i dont know how they plan on bumping resolution up to 900 or 1080 unless they start turning off detail.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Chasiubao posted:

You'd think people would be happy that there were so many fine-grained privacy options given the hullabaloo about the Kinect camera :saddowns:

Some people will never be happy. Ever.

With anything.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
You guys have access to around 30 reviews and that's the worst thing you can find? poo poo this game must be good. Keep looking though!

Here's a review from Adam Sessler, handsome prince of games journalism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWbvXB85BZc he reports his hands were shaking so it sounds like the health issues associated with this game are legitimate. He doesn't mention frame rate drops so a lot of you guys won't be too interested but he has some nice things to say otherwise.

I recommend everyone take this opportunity to browse the comment section on popular games sites Titanfall reviews; like this one http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/titanfall-review/1900-6415690/ it's currently moving at enraged nerd speed :allears: It's even funnier than the mad at MS thread.

I hate daytime gaming but I'm gonna make an exception and pick this up for The One tomorrow morning.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's a good, solid, fun game and I've said that ever since I first played it, you'll like it I would've thought :)

I've only played it on PC so haven't seen the poor performance issues.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mr. WTF posted:

Seriously? You go from this:

"several players crammed their mechs into a tight area and began duking it out, and the frame rate dived down to what must have been single digits per second."

to posting this?

"the performance on The One is being independently reported as abysmal."

Do you actually see the disparity in what you are relaying? I'm so tired of reading this kind of loving hating bullshit. I'm sure there are plenty of things to be critical about in the game or about the Xbone in general, don't just make up fiction.

If the Xbox One Version of the Xbox One Exclusive* Video Game Titanfall runs badly on the Xbox One, do you think people shouldn't discuss the Xbox One's performance on such a title?

Single Digit FPS, ever, on "next gen" systems is abysmal. If Infamous: Second Son on the Playstation 4 did this, people would be making GBS threads on it too and rightfully so.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

If the Xbox One Version of the Xbox One Exclusive* Video Game Titanfall runs badly on the Xbox One, do you think people shouldn't discuss the Xbox One's performance on such a title?

Single Digit FPS, ever, on "next gen" systems is abysmal. If Infamous: Second Son on the Playstation 4 did this, people would be making GBS threads on it too and rightfully so.

Considering the DF article on the beta had the lowest drop to about 35 I'm gonna wait for the DF follow up before I take Jeffs word that the game goes below 9fps. But by that point I'll be an expert robot operator so it won't even matter.

Considering the plethora of extremely positive reviews out there that don't mention this at all I'm going to err on the side of this isn't as much of an issue as some people want it to be. But there must be some negative here somewhere, so keep your eyes peeled!

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
Don't forget to tune into the official TitanFall launch event on Twitch tonight at 8pm PDT (11 EDT)!

http://www.twitch.tv/xbox

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Crafty posted:

Considering the DF article on the beta had the lowest drop to about 35 I'm gonna wait for the DF follow up before I take Jeffs word that the game goes below 9fps. But by that point I'll be an expert robot operator so it won't even matter.

Considering the plethora of extremely positive reviews out there that don't mention this at all I'm going to err on the side of this isn't as much of an issue as some people want it to be. But there must be some negative here somewhere, so keep your eyes peeled!

It's a good game (not $60 worth, maybe with a couple of content patches it will be) but if it does indeed run at less than 10 FPS as goon favourites Giantbomb are saying then it just cements that the The One is not fit for purpose.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Crafty posted:

Reviews and PC player reports have also indicated that the levels from the beta are the ones with the best framerates/least system intensive, and saying the two beta levels didn't have any issues so that means none of them will is pretty ridiculous.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Jeff mentioned the huge frame rate drops happen in Last Titan Standing. Since the game itself dies when you have two or three titans fighting on screen at once, I would not be surprised if it has such severe dips in that gamemode.

I don't think Jeff knows if its actually hitting single digit FPS or not. What he knows is that the frame rate dips are severe enough to be noticeable and annoying. That's why huge dips are annoying in the first place. If the frame rate jumps from 60 FPS to 30 FPS suddenly, it would feel like jumping from a consistent frame rate to a really poo poo one. Its all relative.

The European review sites generally gave Xbox One Titanfall ~80 because of relatively poor ingame performance so it goes without saying that the game is not a technical marvel in any capacity.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 11, 2014

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013
Quick question, I'm on a network where I can't access Xbox website, so I can't test, but does anyone know if I buy a game for the XBOX ONE, say from the arcade, will it DL on my console automatically, is there a setting I need to enable for this, is it even possible?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Change thread title to Xbox One Frame rate critique zone TIA.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Titanfall is a fun game no matter what system you play it on :)

I'm more curious about something Respawn said. They've been quoted as saying they're trying to find a way to make Titanfall 1080p but it would mean sacrificing some detail.

Would it be better for TitanFall to be 1080p but weaker textures, shadows, AA, etc or stay as is?

Personally I don't know why more developers don't take the Battle Toshinden 3 route and just leave that option up to the users. It makes more sense to let them choose what they'd prefer.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'm more curious about something Respawn said. They've been quoted as saying they're trying to find a way to make Titanfall 1080p but it would mean sacrificing some detail.

Would it be better for TitanFall to be 1080p but weaker textures, shadows, AA, etc or stay as is?

Personally I don't know why more developers don't take the Battle Toshinden 3 route and just leave that option up to the users. It makes more sense to let them choose what they'd prefer.

The issue is (and I say this in all seriousness, no snarkiness) the Xbox One version of Titanfall already has low resolution, low and unstable FPS and low resolution textures as it is, so what exactly could the user choose to sacrifice?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

The issue is (and I say this in all seriousness, no snarkiness) the Xbox One version of Titanfall already has low resolution, low and unstable FPS and low resolution textures as it is, so what exactly could the user choose to sacrifice?

Back on the Playstation One, Battle Arena Toshinden 3 offered the ability to play the game at 60fps at the expense of textures. I'm not saying Respawn would do something THAT drastic, but they would have a 720p/1080p option that would raise or lower certain details depending on what the user's preference was.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Back on the Playstation One, Battle Arena Toshinden 3 offered the ability to play the game at 60fps at the expense of textures. I'm not saying Respawn would do something THAT drastic, but they would have a 720p/1080p option that would raise or lower certain details depending on what the user's preference was.

I guess people could choose to lower effects, like you said, shadows, particles etc. There just doesn't seem much to lower apart from that.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

but they would have a 720p/1080p option that would raise or lower certain details depending on what the user's preference was.

So you mean like the PC gets because it's a platform where the level of power available can vary wildly, unlike consoles which are fixed hardware meaning the developer always knows what they are working with?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You can run Titanfall at 1080p but it will look like Battle Arena Toshinden.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I guess people could choose to lower effects, like you said, shadows, particles etc. There just doesn't seem much to lower apart from that.

The source engine scales down really well. I'm sure Respawn could do it, they just might have to make several sacrifices graphically that they, EA, or Microsoft aren't willing to show on the X1.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

So you mean like the PC gets because it's a platform where the

Kiiiinda. But more like given the choice to users. What means more? Full 1080p or graphical effects. It wouldn't be a full on option by option tick box like the PC. It would just be toggle option. Did any other console games do this like Toshinden 3?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 11, 2014

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
One thing I didn't know with the broadcast update, twitch is now a full-featured app.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The source engine scales down really well. I'm sure Respawn could do it, they just might have to make several sacrifices graphically that they, EA, or Microsoft aren't willing to show on the X1.

Kiiiinda. But more like given the choice to users. What means more? Full 1080p or graphical effects. It wouldn't be a full on option by option tick box like the PC. It would just be toggle option. Did any other console games do this like Toshinden 3?

We've already seen this in 'next gen' with the exclusive killzone:shadowfall allowing users to downgrade to 30 fps for single player because of abysmal performance. That's the first time I've seen a developer allow that sort of control for a console, maybe guerilla games started a trend.

I'm surprised out of the 30 or so reviews that no one else outside of polygon and jeffrey has picked up on the single frame per second when a titan is on the screen. You'd think that'd be noticeable. I'm getting this game in the morning so do check back for my in depth and unbiased frames per second count.

Edit: Also I preferred your old title :(

Explain How! posted:

One thing I didn't know with the broadcast update, twitch is now a full-featured app.

What do you mean by full-featured?

Crafty fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 11, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafty posted:

What do you mean by full-featured?

It broadcasts now instead of just being a video viewing app. You know, the thing that was promoted as being a big feature of the Xbox.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
Also allows for following channels, chat from xbox, profile access from streams (not just xbox broadcasts, a guy was streaming ff7 but I could access his profile because it was linked)

Explain How! fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 11, 2014

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

zen sex robot posted:

Giantbomb isn't exactly a huge xbox hate zone or disreputable site. He's even withholding giving it a score because it's an online only game and it shouldn't be judged until reviewers can see how the games plays under real world conditions. I understand you're pumped for the game and all, but the criticism certainly seems valid man.

I know there's definitely going to be frame rate drops, I played the beta and saw the DF analysis. I just don't think it's going to ruin the game like people are hoping. Giantbombs actually my favorite games website and probably the people I'd trust most in the games world, outside of major nelson.

Barudak posted:

It broadcasts now instead of just being a video viewing app. You know, the thing that was promoted as being a big feature of the Xbox.

He said one thing he didn't know with the broadcast update, like it was something extra on top of that?

Edit ^ah ok I'm downloading it now, might stream some Kinect fitness later.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crafty posted:

probably the people I'd trust most in the games world, outside of major nelson.

Are you fakeposting at this point? Major Nelson is a paid spokesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah I've got reservations on the one review that complained about FPS. There was definitely slowdown in the beta during 3v3 titan fights but it wasn't single digit FPS bad. I didn't really play last titan standing that much though so it seems to be the worst in there.

Regardless, there's an optimization and/or a resolution increase patch coming so any launch day woes should be temporary. Gotta throw the bone haters a bone every so often anyway, they were running out of material. Based on the PvZ:GW launch, I'm glad the PC/X1/360 exclusivity is there so they could use Azure instead of having to use the EA servers or worse if this came out on PS4 too.

Crafty posted:

Edit ^ah ok I'm downloading it now, might stream some Kinect fitness later.

Oh god I wonder if all the hot gamer girls are going to move from league of legends to Kinect fitness as their game of choice now :swoon:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 11, 2014

• Locked thread