Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Me in Reverse posted:

Why are beer geeks obsessed with the same five hop strains?

Tired Hands posted a poll on Facebook today asking what hop they should use in their first beer of a single-hop series they're doing.

loving everyone wants to see Citra, Chinook, Galaxy, Simcoe, Amarillo...

Why does nobody want to try something different? The other options included Falconer's Flight, Zythos, Columbus...

[/whine]

They probably just don't know. Zythos is weird but I'd still try a single hop version. FF is AWESOME though.

Also I've found out that I do not like Abraxas. It tasted like a mess to me, too much going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Me in Reverse posted:

Tired Hands posted a poll on Facebook today asking what hop they should use in their first beer of a single-hop series they're doing.

Why does nobody want to try something different? The other options included Falconer's Flight, Zythos, Columbus...

[/whine]

Don't worry, Mosaic is in ascendance now and will soon be our omnipresent single-hop overlord. Meanwhile I haven't seen any new Simcoe-exclusive beers in some time, and Amarillo/Chinook never have gotten much solo time around here.

Hop dominance is in part a product of how incestuous the beer community is - one brewery makes a great single-hop beer, other brewers try it and love it, then try their hand at producing something similar, and it moves on. It's like any other food industry. Why experiment on a production scale when someone else has already done the experimentation for you? One cupcake stand becomes a dozen because suddenly everyone loves the idea of cupcakes. Foam/espuma/what-have-you fluoresced in the 90s and quickly faded away into obscurity. See also: cronut, bacon everything, sea salt on caramel. It's fashion. As long as that fashion is delicious, I'm okay with it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's what bothers me so much; Tired Hands IS an experimental brewer. I've had enough of the same loving hop profile IPA from twenty brewers, as a consumer I *want* different. I don't want Tired Hands to make something that tastes like the other things I can go buy anywhere. That's my confusion -- it's not about Jean wanting to re-brew someone else's design that he knows will work (which he doesn't and wouldn't), it's about beer drinkers circlejerking over the same loving flavors.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Also I've found out that I do not like Abraxas. It tasted like a mess to me, too much going on.

With you here, although my bigger issue is that with everything that could dominate, nothing does. Something with that many things in it to flavor shouldn't be so... bland. My suggestion is that you just drink a Huna...

... Oh.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well, that same fervor for repetition gets us lots of great Berliners, bourbon barrel aging, gratzers, goses, and the very concept of single-hop. Like I said, it's fashion. All industries have inertia in certain directions that change with demand and other factors. If Tired Hands isn't being as much of a driving force as you'd like, I can understand that frustration. I'm just saying it doesn't particularly surprise me that this is how the majority of the craft brewing industry works.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChiTownEddie posted:

They probably just don't know. Zythos is weird but I'd still try a single hop version. FF is AWESOME though.

Falconer's Flight is a blend that includes some of the aforementioned hop varieties.

and, yes, citra, mosaic, and the other southern hemisphere hops seem to be hogging the spotlight lately.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

funkybottoms posted:

Falconer's Flight is a blend that includes some of the aforementioned hop varieties.

and, yes, citra, mosaic, and the other southern hemisphere hops seem to be hogging the spotlight lately.

Yeah, but somehow when you take their proprietary blend it becomes something better.

DB, yeah thats a good point. Awww if only I could try Hunahpu haha

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

danbanana posted:

Welp, it's official:

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/exclusive-rip-hunahpus-day-will-go-distribution-next-year/

Dear FL Beer Geeks: I'm sure some Midwest folks will be able to give truck chasing strategies.

quote:

I have always tried with these releases to balance fairness with the reality that some people will always try to get around your best efforts at fairness because they personally deserve more. This year they got WAY around my pitiful efforts.

I am acknowledging defeat.

I'm just schadenfreuding, but I love how he's blaming the beer geeks who wanted to hoard all the Hunahpu's for themselves. Not that they're not to blame in part, but come on. It's not like they're the ones who decided to start selling entire cases of it before a lot of people even had a chance to buy the three bottle allotment.

I was at a beer tasting festival at a resort in the Pocono's a few years ago and it was a giant clusterfuck of Mongolian proportions. I'll never go back, because they had no loving idea what they were doing. Knowing about beer doesn't mean you know how to plan an event for 5000 people, and if that's what you're doing you should probably hire someone to plan it for you.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

DasHangman posted:

I may be right in front of you.

I intend on getting Younger today, but I'm not sure what else to get.

This was lost in hop-chat, but you need to try the PNC Broken Elevator. It's not something you'll likely see anywhere else and it is so weird. It tastes like someone juiced an oak tree into a glass of balsamic vinegar. In a good way.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's not on their (currently pretty lackluster) taplist, but who knows how accurate that is.

EDIT: Dunno how I missed that. vvvv

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 10, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Me in Reverse posted:

It's not on their (currently pretty lackluster) taplist, but who knows how accurate that is.

It's on the event list for today:
FRONT BAR
Russian River Pliny The Younger (CA) This is the original Triple IPA, and this one was not a mistake. Vinnie just wanted to see how far he could push the envelope. 10.5%abv

Russian River Pliney The Elder (CA) This is the original Double IPA, made by mistake, natch. More hops balanced by bigger malt. Aromas of grapefruit dominate. Finishes surprisingly dry, yet not too bitter. 8%abv

Russian River Consecration (CA) Strong brown ale aged in a cabernet sauvignon barrel (Silver Oak) for six months with fresh currants The wine, oak and currants are well integrated in this stunning beer. 10.5%abv

Russian River Damnation (CA) Vinnie’s take on a Belgian strong blonde ale obviously influenced by Duvel. Great aromas of banana and pear. Medium body with flavors of pale roasted malt and spice from the hops. Lots of hops in the finish give it a nice bitterness and a crisp, dry finish. 7.75%abv

B. United Zymatore (Austria) Brauerei Hofstetten Granit Bock aged in Pinot Noir / Whisky / Red Zinfadel barrels. This is a “Stein” beer, where they heat blocks of granite until white hot and add to the wort. This caramelizes much of the sugar present.

Freigeist Salzspeicher Cherry Sauer Porter (Germany) – a blend of a sour German porter and an English-Style porter with fresh sour cherries added. 6%abv

Tilquin Gueuze draft (Belgium) Pierre Tilquin is Belgium’s newest lambic blender. Great balance to this oaky, sour Gueuze. 4.5%abv

BACK BAR

Russian River Blind Pig IPA(CA) Perhaps my favorite West Coast IPA. Solid hop aromas and finish backed up by the perfect balance of malt. 6.1%abv.

Russian River Supplication (CA) Brown ale aged in french oak pinot noir barrels for different periods of time. Vinnie then blends these barrels into this magic elixir. He adds fresh sour cherries and three “wild” yeast strains: brett, lacto & pedio I get malt, oak, wine, cherries, and a subtle pineapple note from the brett. 7.2%abv.

Russian River Temptation (CA) Blond Ale aged in french oak chardonnay barrels for twelve months. Vinnie adds his house strain of brettanomyces that adds a sour component and a bit of fruitiness. 7.2.5%abv

Allagash PNC Broken Elevator (Maine) I made this with Jason Perkins and my PNC mates from Falling Rock in Denver, Toronado in San Francisco, and Brouwer's Café in Seattle

DeMolen Cease & Desist (Netherlands). It’s a Russian Imperial Stout with a ton of dark roasted malt. Super full body. Dark as a moonless night. Notes of bittersweet chocolate & dark fruit. This is oh so very good. 10% abv

DeMolen Hel & Verdoemenis (Netherlands) made w/english brown specialty malt & black malt. Imperial Stout. Roasty & complex. 10%abv

De Molen Hemel & Aarde (Netherlands). (Heaven & Earth) Imperial Stout made with peated malt from Bruichladdish distillery. Huge peat aroma with flavor notes of licorice and bittersweet chocolate. 10% abv

Freigeist / Trois Dames Smuggler’s Gose (Germany/Switzerland)

Hof Ten Dormaal Project 2013 Strong Blonde Ale (Belgium)

HTD Project #7 Aged in a Bruichladdich barrel

HTD Project #8 Aged in Port Charlotte Whisky barrel

HTD Project #5 Only 26 kegs of this rariety. Aged in a Moscatel barrel

And there also raffles for the following:
Cantillon Fou Foune (750ml)
Cantillon Monk’s Café Gueuze (375ml)
Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze 1998 (750ml)
Cantillon Gueuze - Magnum
Cantillon Kriek (375ml)
Cantillon Zwanze 2008 (375ml)
Cantillon Zwanze 2009 (750ml)
De Oude Cam Oude Faro (750ml)
Drie Fonteinen Intense Red (375ml)
Tilquin Oude Gueuze a l’Ancienne
Tilquin Oude Questche a l’Ancienne

And a bunch of other stuff too... they are raffling off so much beer.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 10, 2014

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

rufius posted:

So I just finished up a weekend in San Diego. Got a chance to tour Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, Stone's Bistro (Escondido), and AleSmith. Additionally, made it over to Poor House Brewing, Amplified Ale Works, and PB Ale House Brewing.

Of all the above, enjoyed Lost Abbey the most. The tour there is fantastic and was able to pick up Red Poppy (Flemish Red by Lost Abbey). Poor House Brewing had a really great neighborhood feel and if I lived nearby, I'd be there all the time. Stone's Bistro was really relaxing and quite enjoyable. AleSmith was a poo poo show when we got there but they had some great special editions, Jamaican Blue Mountain Speedway Stout and Bourbon Soaked Wee Heavy.

All in all, highly recommend San Diego. Would buy again.

Yeah, that was probably the most crowded I have seen Alesmith, but that was because it was release weekend for the barrel aged wee heavy and the new speedway stout. I ended up leaving due the crowd after a couple tasters but the coconut Helles was worth it.

Picking up my bottles was super easy though. If you have a limited beer why would you do anything other then sell tickets for the bottles themselves.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

Zythos is also a blend

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Was in Asheville again this weekend and got to try a couple more things from Wicked Weed, as well as visiting Burial Beer Co. and Hi-Wire for the first times. We were there for the SoCon tournament, so the afternoon was spent drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale at the games, so Wicked Weed is about the only thing I can really remember tasting. By the time we finished there, my palate was pretty non-existent.

Wicked Weed Le Peche Blanc is a delicious peach wild ale, very refreshing. Similar to DFH's Festina Peche, but a bit more sourness going on.

Their Dark Angel Cherry Stout is loving fantastic. Sour, chocolate covered cherries. This is their next planned bottle release, and I might have make the trip back up the mountain for it.

Burial is cool spot, only stuck around to have their dopplebock, which was a pretty good example of the style. Hi-Wire doesn't do anything very out there, but the stuff they do is better than average.

Then we ate at Asheville Brewiing Co. while watching the UNC/Duke game. Tried their saison collab with Burial, Esprit Sauvage, and I only remember that it had a lot of banana flavors to it, which I don't like.

I could hang out in Wicked Weed's basement forever.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Alpine seems to use a lot of New Zealand hops in addition to the usual mix of popular ones:

• Keene Idea has Nelson Sauvin and Rakau hops
  • Nelson uses it's eponymous hops
  • Bad Boy uses Columbus, which isn't as popular as the aforementioned hops that Me in Reverse was whining about.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DasHangman posted:

I may be right in front of you.

I intend on getting Younger today, but I'm not sure what else to get.

Nice! Were you the guy we discussed Hunaphu's Day with? I was the guy with a gray jacket and glasses in the group of four (including the tall guy with a white hood).

Definitely drank the poo poo out of Broken Elevator and everything else in the back room - wonderful event, but I'm very glad that a) we showed up as early as we did, and b) that we didn't want much from the front bar, since that was a shitshow.

And of course PtY was just a good DIPA, nothing stellar to chase trucks over.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

air- posted:

What are other breweries who have done a good job handling these types of releases?

I'm enjoying Founders' recent releases where they sell tickets for $5 on Brown Paper Tickets that guarantees that you can purchase x-number of bottles of beer, and the $5 goes to a charity.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've really started getting into the New Zealand hops varieties. Mouteka complements IPLs and Belgians so nicely. Nelson is easily a top tier single hop.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I've found that Voodoo in PA has done a fine job in their past two releases in terms of controlling lines and accommodating their customers with bathroom, a tent, heat and food.

That said, it's not a ticketed event yet and magnitudes less people. 350 people versus 3500(*3) people.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 10, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but it was doomed when they didn't hire an event coordinator. Everyone thinks they can put together a big event because it can't be that hard, right? But that's why there is an entire profession of people who deal with the issues presented in setting up large gatherings of people. There are so many things that need to be considered including security, permits, ticketing, registration, and traffic flow during the event. People always try to do these things in house and it's always a horror story. Breweries need to get on board with paying someone to work the logistics who actually does this for a living.

I may or may not have a vested interest in this since my girlfriend is a CMP. She runs conventions all over the world with attendance ranging from 2000 to 10000.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 10, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The legal permits raise another concern, because these large events would get the city's attention, so that could be what influenced the decision to kill the entire thing. I hope this doesn't set a precedent for "you see what happens when you let a brewery release beer?"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Furious Lobster posted:

Alpine seems to use a lot of New Zealand hops in addition to the usual mix of popular ones:

• Keene Idea has Nelson Sauvin and Rakau hops
  • Nelson uses it's eponymous hops
  • Bad Boy uses Columbus, which isn't as popular as the aforementioned hops that Me in Reverse was whining about.

The other, less known hop in Nelson is Southern Cross too, which is another NZ hop. They secured all of those contracts pretty early on before NZ hops had really gotten popular.

As for the whole Cigar City debacle, I don't know how they gave away free beer on Sunday. That sounds illegal as gently caress.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I sent a Southern Cross beer in the BIF. The Lancaster Southern Cross Hog is the single hop variant of their Boss Hog DIPA.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I sent a Southern Cross beer in the BIF. The Lancaster Southern Cross Hog is the single hop variant of their Boss Hog DIPA.

I made a homebrew Nelson clone once, but I could not actually find Southern Cross for consumer purchase, even though almost literally every other hop you can buy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Me in Reverse posted:

[/whine]

Nelson Sauvin won so you can stop whining I guess?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

the yellow dart posted:

Just drank my Straightjacket from BIF and that is delicious. The barrel isn't quite as prevalent as with BCBW but it is still nearly perfect in balance. Loved every minute of it.

Nice dude, glad you like it! Have you tried the Daisy Cutter yet?

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 11, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LOL at the Hunaphu's fiasco, Jesus H Christ. This is why I don't really bother to go to beer releases or events anymore, the culture has become some sort of terrible self-parody. Obviously there are many, many awesome people in the hobby as evidenced by the GWS community (holy poo poo, this most recent BIF round :stare:) but there's now more than enough shitlords looking to scam/exploit every angle to hoard beer, or just get hammered and start poo poo, around to ruin events.

If there's anything to "blame" CCB for it's being too friendly and naive. This isn't your first rodeo, guys. You're releasing a megawhale and at the same time making it into a festival of other breweries pouring megawhales. It should not be a surprise that the White Kia Soul's of the world will show up and try to buy up as many cases as they can carry. Or that like 10,000 drunk people jammed into a parking lot might not be on their best behavior.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

10,000 drunk people jammed into a parking lot might not be on their best behavior.

Speaking of, guess what goes on sale next week?

http://darklordday.com/faqs/

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

LOL at the Hunaphu's fiasco, Jesus H Christ. This is why I don't really bother to go to beer releases or events anymore, the culture has become some sort of terrible self-parody. Obviously there are many, many awesome people in the hobby as evidenced by the GWS community (holy poo poo, this most recent BIF round :stare:) but there's now more than enough shitlords looking to scam/exploit every angle to hoard beer, or just get hammered and start poo poo, around to ruin events.

If there's anything to "blame" CCB for it's being too friendly and naive. This isn't your first rodeo, guys. You're releasing a megawhale and at the same time making it into a festival of other breweries pouring megawhales. It should not be a surprise that the White Kia Soul's of the world will show up and try to buy up as many cases as they can carry. Or that like 10,000 drunk people jammed into a parking lot might not be on their best behavior.

As a person who spends an inordinate amount of my discretionary income on beer, even I know that breweries should trust their customers about as far as they can thrown them. As a rule, your customers are mostly drunks. That doesn't change just because they're drunk on expensive beer.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://cltampa.com/potlikker/archives/2014/03/10/joey-redner-on-hunahpus-day-i-just-dont-want-to-deal-with-it#.Ux4ZB_ldV8F

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Sounds like they severely oversold the venue. Maybe I'm wrong, but cutting the number down a bit would make things a lot more manageable.

Edit: I read the article, apparently people had fake tickets. So it wasn't Cigar City over selling. It also seems he went way over and beyond making up for it.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 10, 2014

nah
Mar 16, 2009

We may still have a beerfest type thing at the brewery next year, but in no way will we release bottles. I don't think we'll ever do any sort of bottle release again at the brewery. The Catador Club was created to avoid all this, but we always told ourselves "well, with the exception of Hunahpu's Day. That will suck, but at least it's only one day." But it's really not. It's months to plan and lots of hours overtime working and it still sucked. So, no more.

A beerfest by itself would probably work fine only because there's no profit incentive for many potential attendees so they're not interested.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Docjowles posted:

From opening to about 12:30 was the best time to be there but around 12:45 people started camping the front of lines waiting for the tap changes. At 1pm they put on a bunch of big name beers that people really wanted to try so people would get to the front of a beer line and just stand there. I didn't get to try anything from the goliath stand due to that kinda behavior but I got to try a bunch of good beer from small places because my friends and I always chose the shorter lines and were often really satisfied with what people had to offer us. As to the crowd being a bunch of bro'd out jerks, that's kinda to be expected of South Tampa but it was really surprising how the neckbearded sperglord mustached crowd that arrived early in the morning was eventually drowned out by tanned dudes in boat shoes trying to impress their eye-rolling girlfriends with poo poo they read on a sam adams label.

A friend of mine waited in line for the cases of double barrel early in the day and they ran out right as he got to the front of the line. So it really was a perfect storm of "too many people," "a sleezelord's son should know how to run a business better," and "people are dickheads" because when you can buy a $20 bottle and immediately sell it for $40 or more, you know people are going to exploit that poo poo and ruin a fun event.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Docjowles posted:

I think another facet of the issue is that craft beer has been outpaced by the hype surrounding craft beer. There simply aren't enough hyped-up events to meet the demand for hyped-up events, if that makes sense. The core of craft beer enthusiasts satisfy their desire to be involved in the scene through tastings, homebrew, and regularly visiting brewery taprooms and bars with good selections. However, there's a whole other group of people that want to be known as craft beer nerds and so they flock to high profile events like PtY/E tappings, GABF/other large fests, and limited releases and the breweries, bars, and the scene in general has a hard time accommodating that spike in participation.

I look at it this way: Crooked Stave and Avery are known for regularly having excellent beer but also put out limited releases. 99% of the time you visit either taproom, the place runs from sparsely filled to it's-Saturday-night-so-full-but-not-too-full. They can have their hypedest beers on tap and there can be nobody in there. Case in point I got a pour of WWBV around Christmas (or was it last GABF, I can't remember) and there were like 5 people in the taproom when they first tapped it. Avery has some of their sour barrel or whatever series stuff on tap pretty regularly, same situation. But if you have a RELEASE PARTY then all of a sudden it's get in line five hours early.

Hell, the best example is Perry's Pizza. Usually it's deserted aside from families having dinner and a few beer nerds drinking pretty good stuff. Tap some PtE and play up how exclusive and special the beer is? Prepare for all of Greenwood Village, Parker, and Highlands Ranch to be there.

So yeah, I really do agree that events are starting to suck. I don't want to hate on people who do events just for the hype and supposed cred because they do genuinely enjoy the beer as well, but it's sad that it's pretty easy to figure out which events or releases are going to be disasters based on the breweries attending/hosting and the effort put into getting people hyped present in the press release. Thankfully at least in CO we have so many great breweries that are essentially off the radar (like just nix the top 10 and that leaves us with like 120 breweries that maybe 1% of the population seems to know about) so there are plenty of tappings and events and such to enjoy without the hassle.

e:

Sephardic Homo posted:

From opening to about 12:30 was the best time to be there but around 12:45 people started camping the front of lines waiting for the tap changes. At 1pm they put on a bunch of big name beers that people really wanted to try so people would get to the front of a beer line and just stand there. I didn't get to try anything from the goliath stand due to that kinda behavior but I got to try a bunch of good beer from small places because my friends and I always chose the shorter lines and were often really satisfied with what people had to offer us. As to the crowd being a bunch of bro'd out jerks, that's kinda to be expected of South Tampa but it was really surprising how the neckbearded sperglord mustached crowd that arrived early in the morning was eventually drowned out by tanned dudes in boat shoes trying to impress their eye-rolling girlfriends with poo poo they read on a sam adams label.

A friend of mine waited in line for the cases of double barrel early in the day and they ran out right as he got to the front of the line. So it really was a perfect storm of "too many people," "a sleezelord's son should know how to run a business better," and "people are dickheads" because when you can buy a $20 bottle and immediately sell it for $40 or more, you know people are going to exploit that poo poo and ruin a fun event.

Seems like CCB really, really poorly planned the internal physical organization of the event, were severely understaffed, and aren't aware that there are companies to handle ticketing. There is no reason why people should be allowed to camp the front of the line. You get to the front, you give ticket, you get pour, gtfo. With the right design, you give space for a line and for an exit at each station and sometimes you need "bouncers" to ensure the lines move efficiently. Like, those spaces need marshals to make sure lines are orderly and moving, that's just how it goes. Even in the military you have dudes supervising lines of dudes trained to walk in lines. And seriously, just contract with a ticketing company that can do online sales and then do barcode scanning at the event.

ee:

quote:

So many people caught with duplicate tickets were claiming their tickets were original that eventually Redner’s people stopped scanning and just collected tickets to avoid ugly confrontations and to move things along.

Hahaha, so basically the event was completely out of control. Amazing.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 10, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's been said before but the main problem is combining a beer release + beer festival + lots of loving people in small space; I'm thinking about my own experiences with megawhale beer releases, the most recent being Beatification and Churchill's and while the latter did have both a crazy tap list and fairly sough after beer, the production numbers were capped at 150 people so it could never have grown to the craziness seen here.

In contrast, the Beatification release had a fairly decent tap list but nothing too crazy but the beer release itself was also a terrible failure of many many hours of waiting; that being said, I can only imagine the sheer potential for ridiculousness if Russian River had decided to try to make into a beer festival like the Firestone Walker Invitational. Also, speaking of Firestone Walker, the Feral One release was handled very well and it seems they learned from Russian River's failure by having multiple registers in the form of Squares + tablets.

Edit: Also the DDG release was incredibly smooth and probably the model that should have been followed by Russian River.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

quote:

So many people caught with duplicate tickets were claiming their tickets were original that eventually Redner’s people stopped scanning and just collected tickets to avoid ugly confrontations and to move things along.

Math for moralists:

9000 people - 3500 tickets = A lot of assholes in FL.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

danbanana posted:

Math for moralists:

I can't wait for this to happen next week at EBF.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eejit posted:

Seems like CCB really, really poorly planned the internal physical organization of the event, were severely understaffed, and aren't aware that there are companies to handle ticketing. There is no reason why people should be allowed to camp the front of the line. You get to the front, you give ticket, you get pour, gtfo. With the right design, you give space for a line and for an exit at each station and sometimes you need "bouncers" to ensure the lines move efficiently. Like, those spaces need marshals to make sure lines are orderly and moving, that's just how it goes. Even in the military you have dudes supervising lines of dudes trained to walk in lines. And seriously, just contract with a ticketing company that can do online sales and then do barcode scanning at the event.

ee:

Hahaha, so basically the event was completely out of control. Amazing.

Line cutting was really common as well but at least people who did that were more keen to get their beer, immediately walk away, check their list off and go hunt down something else. They were on a mission and by god they were going to get hammered. I was pretty much going by that mission as well so that's why I can give an unbiased opinion on the event and give a man on the street account, of the first few hours.

And it really was out of control. Pictures don't do it justice how packed it got at around 3:00pm.

The food was good too by the way. We probably should have picked something other than barbecue because halfway through we figured out it was a terrible idea due to the mess it made. Everything looked so good but the barbecue truck smelled amazing and I was on a viking mission for a turkey leg.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

Edit: Also the DDG release was incredibly smooth and probably the model that should have been followed by Russian River.

Once they got the ticketing system fixed, that is.

I've decided that I'm mostly if not entirely done with major hype release day type events. Very, very few beers are worth driving hundreds of miles to wait in line for with no guarantee of bottles. If it means I can't get the latest hype releases anymore, so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Math for moralists:

Welcome to Florida, I hope you don't watch the news!