Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Everyone knows that the Master is played by Peter Capaldi with a fake goatee, you loving idiot. :colbert:

Hey, language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Hey, language.

Sorry if I offended you, was only a poor joke. :shobon:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's just like Moffat to see everyone asking for a black/female Doctor so be gives them a black Master instead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It's just like Moffat to see everyone asking for a black/female Doctor so be gives them a black Master instead.

Let's wait until the ridiculous rumor is confirmed before we scold Moffat on his lack of progressiveness. Or just use one of the actual examples of his lack of progressiveness to scold him, I guess.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Unless someone can explain what "Danny Pink" is an anagram of, your theory is invalid.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Umbra Dubium posted:

Unless someone can explain what "Danny Pink" is an anagram of, your theory is invalid.

"River Song."

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Anyone see this yet? Rumors of a McGann/Capaldi two Doctor special, supplemented from Paul's personal Twitter:

Paul McGann posted:

This is my moment...!

http://pic.twitter.com/42J9ep6WVP

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The rumor of a two Doc special was around as of like six months ago, iirc. Hopefully that picture will make it true.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Umbra Dubium posted:

Dank Pinny

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Umbra Dubium posted:

Dinky Pan N. Being a trickster, the Master is like a dinky version of the god Pan, and there have been a variable number of him, hence the N.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

Let's wait until the ridiculous rumor is confirmed before we scold Moffat on his lack of progressiveness. Or just use one of the actual examples of his lack of progressiveness to scold him, I guess.

Men and women will never truly be equal until women are allowed to become British science fiction characters.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Blasphemeral posted:

Anyone see this yet? Rumors of a McGann/Capaldi two Doctor special, supplemented from Paul's personal Twitter:

Finally a special that has two of my favorite Doctors in it at once? Please oh please oh please :pray:

(Am I a bad person for wishing that McGann would wear the wig again for this? I guess it wouldn't look very good on him now, though.)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ratspeaker posted:

Finally a special that has two of my favorite Doctors in it at once? Please oh please oh please :pray:

(Am I a bad person for wishing that McGann would wear the wig again for this? I guess it wouldn't look very good on him now, though.)

Capaldi is one of your favorites? He's had 2 seconds of screen time so far.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

Definitely in my top twenty or so guys to play the Doctor, ahead of Hugh Grant and Richard Hurndall.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Drunkboxer posted:

They were a really good two seconds. If he does turn out to be Pertwee 2.0 then there's no way he can fail me... not accounting for the factor of Moffat, of course.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Blasphemeral posted:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I would do unspeakable things if it guaranteed an 8/12 two Doctor special. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a regular episode, which probably means a webisode of some type, which means probably a few minutes at best.

I'll take it.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Mortanis posted:

I would do unspeakable things if it guaranteed an 8/12 two Doctor special. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a regular episode, which probably means a webisode of some type, which means probably a few minutes at best.

I'll take it.

Before the end of last year, was anybody expecting a webisode of Eight that would be part of the new series? It's a brave new world out there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, with Paul McGann returning to our screens in 2013 and regenerating into John Hurt of all people, I'm not willing to completely dismiss anything out of hand. I don't think 8 returning again (to team up with 12 or otherwise) is likely, but its certainly possible.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What I think is most likely, if they're filming new Eight material, is a webisode or two, likely something that will coincide with the new season (e.g., if Capaldi is fighting the Daleks, Eight will be dealing with the Daleks, etc.).

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I'd be the first to beg for another McGann story onscreen, but I'm guessing that's a shot taking during Night of the Doctor. The way he's standing, it's almost like they were originally planning to have him regenerate inside the TARDIS.

That, or he took advantage of being at the studio and just got his photo snapped on the set.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wasn't the regeneration short just on iPlayer? If his big death scene doesn't even make it to tv, they aren't going to do a proper episode with McGann.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

marktheando posted:

Wasn't the regeneration short just on iPlayer? If his big death scene doesn't even make it to tv, they aren't going to do a proper episode with McGann.

Online and then on the DVD.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

marktheando posted:

It made huge numbers on the iplayer and the rumor going was that the BBC was impressed and interested in capitalizing on it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
He's a good actor, obviously enjoys the role or he wouldn't do Big Finish, and has stated that he would consider any offers if the script was good. It would be a massively wasted opportunity not to utilise the the 8th Doctor in some way in the actual broadcast show, especially while he still looks young enough to get away with it. Saying that we've just had a multi Doctor story, and the writers may not want to go in that direction again so soon.

I'd chew off my own legs for an 8th Doctor miniseries though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Yeah, them doing a spinoff miniseries with McGann both feels more likely and like a better idea.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

keep punching joe posted:

He's a good actor, obviously enjoys the role or he wouldn't do Big Finish, and has stated that he would consider any offers if the script was good. It would be a massively wasted opportunity not to utilise the the 8th Doctor in some way in the actual broadcast show, especially while he still looks young enough to get away with it. Saying that we've just had a multi Doctor story, and the writers may not want to go in that direction again so soon.

Yeah I think this is actually a pretty key point.

We can complain about fanwankery and all that, but fanwankery often draws in viewers. Special episodes and multidoc stories get Doctor Who mentioned in blogs, discussion forums, and even newspapers more than it otherwise would. Take advantage of McGann while you can. He's pretty much as far back as you can reasonably go at this point. (Well, except for using David Bradley as 1. Which they absolutely should also do.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

We can complain about fanwankery and all that, but fanwankery often draws in viewers. Special episodes and multidoc stories get Doctor Who mentioned in blogs, discussion forums, and even newspapers more than it otherwise would. Take advantage of McGann while you can. He's pretty much as far back as you can reasonably go at this point. (Well, except for using David Bradley as 1. Which they absolutely should also do.)

They have gone all the way to five in Time Crash.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

The 50th drew lots of attention because they brought back David Tennant, who has a broad appeal with the public. Whereas Paul McGann, as much as I like and respect him, doesn't even have a broad appeal with Doctor Who fans, since only a small fraction of fans listen to Big Finish or have seen the tv movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

They aired it in front of the 50th on BBC America (at least when they re-aired the 50th on Christmas, I didn't watch it on TV when it first aired).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Just spin it off as Doctor Who: Lost Stories or something like that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Just spin it off as Doctor Who: Lost Stories or something like that.

Alternating weeks of McGann and David Bradley as 1. And then a One/Eight Multi-Doctor Christmas Special. With both of them wishing us a Merry Christmas at the end.

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

marktheando posted:

The 50th drew lots of attention because they brought back David Tennant, who has a broad appeal with the public. Whereas Paul McGann, as much as I like and respect him, doesn't even have a broad appeal with Doctor Who fans, since only a small fraction of fans listen to Big Finish or have seen the tv movie.

It would still make a good episode, even two parter and generate some hype. I could imagine something like the events that started the time war in the first place.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bandanna posted:

It would still make a good episode, even two parter and generate some hype. I could imagine something like the events that started the time war in the first place.

It's been done.

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

I really need to brush up on my classic then.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Alternating weeks of McGann and David Bradley as 1. And then a One/Eight Multi-Doctor Christmas Special. With both of them wishing us a Merry Christmas at the end.

If they redo with David Bradley, I hope they keep the 60s groove.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bandanna posted:

I really need to brush up on my classic then.

I shouldn't worry; the idea that "Genesis of the Daleks" was the "opening shot" of the Time War was something RTD suggested in a prose story. It was a pretty good idea, but I guess it's kind of a retcon.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It's sort of hilarious to me that the Time War would have an "opening shot". Even actual wars usually have insanely complex networks of causes, and they don't even muck about with causality.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Time War was caused by the Time Lords, the Daleks, three other events which all caused each other, and also, almost certainly, by the Time War.

qntm fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 13, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

qntm posted:

It's sort of hilarious to me that the Time War would have an "opening shot". Even actual wars usually have insanely complex networks of causes.

Yeah, but it was the first time that the Time Lords used time travel attempting to change the Dalek's history. I am sure there was bullshit leading up to the attempt, but that was the shootin an ostrich moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

qntm posted:

It's sort of hilarious to me that the Time War would have an "opening shot". Even actual wars usually have insanely complex networks of causes, and they don't even muck about with causality.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Time War was caused by the Time Lords, the Daleks, three other events which all caused each other, and also, almost certainly, by the Time War.

Dark Eyes is basically Big Finish doing just that while Nick Briggs puts on his best innocent face and shrugs.

• Locked thread