Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
poo poo that's pissing me off: being told by the future CEO that he is "concerned about my attitude" because I told a department head to go away and use the helpdesk for IT issues while I was troubleshooting an Exchange 2013 mail flow issue.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mattress Man posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off: being told by the future CEO that he is "concerned about my attitude" because I told a department head to go away and use the helpdesk for IT issues while I was troubleshooting an Exchange 2013 mail flow issue.

Ah yes, he must own a copy of Webster's Dictionary, Management Edition.

Bad Attitude
noun
1. When other people can understand your words because your lips aren't wrapped firmly enough around the cock of someone higher on the org chart than you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We stagger lunches here in our IT dept so that someone is always available in office. Of course occasionally one of the guys on the network team has to run to the server room or somewhere else and a helpdesk guy might be away from his desk to assist a user. So of course one of the c-levels walks in while everyone is busy for that one particular moment and out of the office, needing help opening a power point or some bullshit in a boardroom. When I get back from my lunch, he sees me in the hallway and proceeds to ream me out for not providing adequate coverage.

So you want us to hop up and answer and walk to employees that need help but we also cant leave our offices in case you stop by? I told him I was on lunch, we stagger ours so that someone is in there and he was just unlucky when he walked in. Not sure what else he wants me to do, he just kept yammering on about always needing someone in the office.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sickening posted:

Going with one or two recruiters is pointless. If employers are looking for your skill set recruiters will find you. Employers will most likely only choose a few recruiting companies at a time and who knows the thought process behind that. You just have to make yourself easy to find.

As someone who has been on the "employer" side of this we do it because they're loving annoying and we'd like to deal with as few of them as possible.

They're no more competent to us than you, You give over the requirements for say, a senior c# programmer and you get an intern from Malaysia with no VISA and a BA in Economics but who can just about point out a copy of windows in a line up.

We literally eventually gave up and employed someone to act as an internal recruitment company.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Dudley posted:

As someone who has been on the "employer" side of this we do it because they're loving annoying and we'd like to deal with as few of them as possible.

They're no more competent to us than you, You give over the requirements for say, a senior c# programmer and you get an intern from Malaysia with no VISA and a BA in Economics but who can just about point out a copy of windows in a line up.

We literally eventually gave up and employed someone to act as an internal recruitment company.

Recruiters know nothing about any industry besides recruitment. Combine that with the fact that they run every CV through a dozen lovely macros to pick out the key points, but which really just end up mangling everything and you end up with a recruitment process which goes something like:

"C# is the same thing as C right?"
"Cos I've heard of C, it's a kind of programming"
"So is HTML"
"You can save Word documents as HTML"
"Word is part of Microsoft Office"

So your request for a "C# programmer" becomes "Someone who can remember which order to click two buttons to run an Excel marco"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Our daily network outage.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

dogstile posted:

I loving hate Backup Exec and I honestly don't understand why some of my company's use it. We have loving backup scripts ready for you to use, let us use them! :argh:

Its favourite error for me lately is telling me that my files are corrupt so it won't back them up, despite the files being fine. Dunno what the gently caress to do with it, so here I am looking it up in my own time because I don't have time when i'm at work.

As a follow-up to this: The appliance keeps crashing over and over every time I try and inventory/catalog the dedupe folder. I'm writing up a nice little email to the support lady because she literally completely broke our backup solution.

Backup Exec: Keeping your blood pressure high since whenever it was Symantec bought Veritas

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jim truds posted:

Our daily network outage.

I'm amazed by the amount of people who are prepared to tolerate huge show-stopping issues and focus on tiny things that aren't even problems. Like they will focus really hard on why their network adapter has a #2 after it, but not give a gently caress about the mail server going down on a weekly basis.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sweevo posted:

Recruiters know nothing about any industry besides recruitment. Combine that with the fact that they run every CV through a dozen lovely macros to pick out the key points, but which really just end up mangling everything and you end up with a recruitment process which goes something like:

"C# is the same thing as C right?"
"Cos I've heard of C, it's a kind of programming"
"So is HTML"
"You can save Word documents as HTML"
"Word is part of Microsoft Office"

So your request for a "C# programmer" becomes "Someone who can remember which order to click two buttons to run an Excel marco"

Which leads me to my other gripe, one recruiter really couldn't understand why it was a bad thing he rewrote every candidates CV and jammed them into his own lovely template.

No, I want to hire them, not you, show me THEIR work. These 5 horrible typos? Are they the candidate not giving a poo poo or you being poo poo.

It was, unsurprisingly, usually the 2nd one.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Caged posted:

I'm amazed by the amount of people who are prepared to tolerate huge show-stopping issues and focus on tiny things that aren't even problems. Like they will focus really hard on why their network adapter has a #2 after it, but not give a gently caress about the mail server going down on a weekly basis.

If I did more then keep my head down and worked on leaving I think I would have some great stories. My boss does a good job at keeping the stupid away but when the network goes down for 3 days in a row and the team in charge pretends it is a nonissue then you know things are poo poo. The stupid I get to deal with is our XP upgrade plan is to maybe update in a year and to just not buy new laptops because of Dell using chips that don't have xp drivers.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 12, 2014

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Dudley posted:

Which leads me to my other gripe, one recruiter really couldn't understand why it was a bad thing he rewrote every candidates CV and jammed them into his own lovely template.

No, I want to hire them, not you, show me THEIR work. These 5 horrible typos? Are they the candidate not giving a poo poo or you being poo poo.

It was, unsurprisingly, usually the 2nd one.

Reminds me of the time I got a resume for a "C+ Programmer."

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
So this just happened:

:pseudo: "Hey, can you generate a file with all the numbers from 1 to a number I'll tell you when I get back?"

:psyduck: "Yeah, I guess."

:pseudo: "OK, the number is 1 trillion."

:psypop: "... that would be over 10 terabytes."

:pseudo: "That big? I'm doing it because we lost the password to something and it's just numbers, so I was going to feed it into a dictionary cracker."

:psyboom: "I... can't help there."

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
and the password ends up being: 0000

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zamujasa posted:

So this just happened:

:pseudo: "Hey, can you generate a file with all the numbers from 1 to a number I'll tell you when I get back?"

:psyduck: "Yeah, I guess."

:pseudo: "OK, the number is 1 trillion."

:psypop: "... that would be over 10 terabytes."

:pseudo: "That big? I'm doing it because we lost the password to something and it's just numbers, so I was going to feed it into a dictionary cracker."

:psyboom: "I... can't help there."

"That program checks EVERY zip code? There must be a million of those!"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

"That big? I'm doing it because we lost the password to something and it's just numbers, so I was going to feed it into a dictionary cracker."

Any cracking program with even rudimentary features will have a built-in generator for that

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mewse posted:

Any cracking program with even rudimentary features will have a built-in generator for that

:thejoke:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It lightly pisses me off that Big Corporation can't write a grammatically correct form letter to send to clients about some stuff in the transition. So, since it was sent to me(and several others) for "approval," I made a shitload of small corrections and am going to send it back to the Director who spawned it. We'll see how this goes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

AlternateAccount posted:

It lightly pisses me off that Big Corporation can't write a grammatically correct form letter to send to clients about some stuff in the transition. So, since it was sent to me(and several others) for "approval," I made a shitload of small corrections and am going to send it back to the Director who spawned it. We'll see how this goes.

Memo: AlternateAccount's duties now include editing all outgoing correspondence.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
vMotion just broke on my two View clusters today. VMware support guy couldn't find any problem. Collected logs and off to an engineer. :(

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

vMotion just broke on my two View clusters today. VMware support guy couldn't find any problem. Collected logs and off to an engineer. :(

s/vmware/hp/ and you have my last week or so.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well, :pseudo: went forward with his try-to-crack-the-password plan.

Estimated time to test all numbers in that one-trillion search space: about 11 years.

If I was the one that had to modify the crack app for him I'd have just replaced it with a bitcoin miner. Bitcoins are a laughable joke but at least we'd get something out of it :rolleye:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
What is the thing you're trying to crack??

mewse
May 2, 2006

So the combination is... one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Roargasm posted:

I'm betting it's something that is known to be easily bypassed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Che Delilas posted:

Memo: AlternateAccount's duties now include editing all outgoing correspondence.

Haha, I did think about this, but in a way it was just an opportunity to see how he responded.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Roargasm posted:

The passphrase for a private key, more or less.

It's going to be a while.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

What happened?

Also poo poo still pissing me off? HR is still dragging their feet, looks like I won't actually start working till the 31st...

Good news is I found out I have 2700 more dollars than I originally thought in my bank, thanks wells fargo for sending me incomplete statements!

Oh and my monitor broke.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 13, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So we had need for a way to schedule recurring reports to run at particular times with configurable parameters, with multiple users being able to schedule new reports or modify/reschedule existing ones.

The solution developed was to login to an account on a Windows terminal server via remote desktop and create a .txt file on the desktop, with the filename controlling how often and when the report runs and the contents of the file setting the parameters. Periodically an automated process logs in and reads all the text files and runs the reports it's time to run. I discovered this when reports stopped flowing after someone locked the account from too many wrong password attempts and the automated process couldn't login to read the files.

I am just going to pretend I never heard any of this and drink until I can't remember so I'm not lying.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Alereon posted:

I discovered this when reports stopped flowing after someone locked the account from too many wrong password attempts and the automated process couldn't login to read the files.

I'm absolutely staggered that the guy who came up with this didn't think somewhere in his horrible trainwreck of thought to remove the wrong password limit on the account so this couldn't happen.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm absolutely staggered that the guy who came up with this didn't think somewhere in his horrible trainwreck of thought to remove the wrong password limit on the account so this couldn't happen.
I'm sure we have a corporate security policy that bans this but says nothing about designing the most idiotic system possible.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I'm starting to get a little tired of weekend work. Already this year I've worked 17 hours straight Saturday through Sunday morning on a server move, spent another weekend patching servers, and another full weekend on "NOC" duty (which means staring at our monitoring system for 15 hours a day). And next weekend we have a dusk-till-dawn scheduled maintenance outage for all our systems, then a couple weeks after that I'm watching monitors 9AM-midnight Saturday and Sunday and also patching servers from like 3AM till probably 7AM Sunday morning. Not to mention all the random phone calls and the minor work that happens pretty much every single weekend. And since we don't get comp time (and no OT of course), all of this is on top of our normal 40-45 hours a week. Last year I worked almost 2500 hours total (we have to track our time even though we don't get paid for it). I'm afraid I'm going to start burning out eventually. :(

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

dennyk posted:

I'm starting to get a little tired of weekend work. Already this year I've worked 17 hours straight Saturday through Sunday morning on a server move, spent another weekend patching servers, and another full weekend on "NOC" duty (which means staring at our monitoring system for 15 hours a day). And next weekend we have a dusk-till-dawn scheduled maintenance outage for all our systems, then a couple weeks after that I'm watching monitors 9AM-midnight Saturday and Sunday and also patching servers from like 3AM till probably 7AM Sunday morning. Not to mention all the random phone calls and the minor work that happens pretty much every single weekend. And since we don't get comp time (and no OT of course), all of this is on top of our normal 40-45 hours a week. Last year I worked almost 2500 hours total (we have to track our time even though we don't get paid for it). I'm afraid I'm going to start burning out eventually. :(

errr isn't it illegal to work extra time that is unpaid

mewse
May 2, 2006

Alctel posted:

Not if you're IT in many states

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Alctel posted:

mewse posted:

Not if you're IT in many states
At issue is the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act. Under the FLSA, an employee who belongs to one of the exempt classes and is paid at least $23,660 per year (set in 1975 when this was enough money to put up with this bullshit, Obama is working on fixing this) and is not docked pay for working less than 40 hours per week does not need to be paid overtime. Note that IT workers are specifically not overtime-exempt and must be paid overtime under federal law, though you may need to fight your company in court to argue that you are not a "computer professional" (system analyst or programmer) to collect. The bright line is that if you engage in break-fix work you must be paid overtime. Really though if your employer classifies you as overtime-exempt just work fewer hours, what are they gonna do, fire you? (Hah no they won't.)

Disclaimer: IANAL and I am frustrated with my job so at this moment I am much more inclined to tell people to tell their employer to gently caress off sue them to enforce their rights than is prudent.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 13, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

sfwarlock posted:

Reminds me of the time I got a resume for a "C+ Programmer."

C+ is actually a checkout system from the 80s. I know Tesco stopped using it in 1996.

He may be not in demand in 2014.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Someone pulled ANOTHER Latitude E6420 out of a locked docking station!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Alereon posted:

Note that IT workers are specifically not overtime-exempt and must be paid overtime under federal law, though you may need to fight your company in court to argue that you are not a "computer professional" (system analyst or programmer) to collect. The bright line is that if you engage in break-fix work you must be paid overtime.

Help-desk and some junior IT positions might not be exempt, depending on what the person's exact duties are, but almost all senior sysadmins fall under the FLSA administrative exemption.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Not necessarily IT related but I guess this is how my day is going to start:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Not necessarily IT related but I guess this is how my day is going to start:

Not start, I think you mean. :v: If its a GM product, you can get a free loaner car!!

(actually on second glance that's probably your door lock and not the ignition, oh well)

Still better than my day is going, so far this morning I've dropped $220 on a guinea pig vet emergency and found out my best friend has cancer!!

And I still get to have a meeting today with my boss about how we are going to fire KACE pay KACE for 3 more years of support and cement the misery that is me becoming a KACE SME at this place.

:smith:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 13, 2014