Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BadLlama posted:

How fun are the dungeons and are there nothing but telegraphs going off everywhere?

I like the pvp in this game for what it is but thats not enough for me to pick it up. If the dungeons are fun though that might be enough.

I did the first dungeon in my 30s, I think I was pretty overlevelled for it so found it relatively easier than most. The dodge/dash has been buggy and annoying for me since day 1, so the key tactic in Wildstar (telegraphs) because an exercise in frustration once I was put in a dungeon with super loving deadly telegraphs. I was an esper and just DPSed, didn't heal or tank.

Overall I enjoyed, but it wasn't anything unique or incredible. By far the strengths were the art and mob design, telegraphs are an awesome idea but by that point were growing tedious for me.

It's been months and months since I did this though, but didn't have any desire to run them again which might say something.

vvv For you maybe, there's no objective best part for everyone identically

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Bitch Ugly
Dec 29, 2008
The dungeons are literally the best part of the game. I haven't gotten to the level cap yet, but the leveling ones I've done are on the quality of current WoW dungeons. Possibly better, even.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I like the adventures better than the dungeons, but most people disagree with me.

(veteran) War of the wilds and tempest refuge are so much fun. Malgraive trail would be too if it were a bit shorter.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

Patch notes are apparently "98 pages long" and aren't being posted til tommorow

Heh. That's probably the length of their perforce history since the last big patch and some poor guy probably have to sift through it to compile a summary for the players.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
In my first dungeon ever, there is a mob that stuns you and then channels a super high damage telegraph. Your group members have to strip his interrupt armor and interrupt him. We kept dying. The tank decided it was my fault. (Probably because I was asking questions to make sure I was doing it at the right time.) After a bunch of wipes, he called me bad names and quit. Then I took over tanking and we went through the rest of the dungeon with no wipes and only a couple deaths. I'm pretty sure this game will have a community that I love to hate. (The dungeons have been fun.)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well glad to hear the dungeons have ranged from Standard to Great and aren't bad experiences for people.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Manifest Dynasty posted:

In my first dungeon ever, there is a mob that stuns you and then channels a super high damage telegraph. Your group members have to strip his interrupt armor and interrupt him. We kept dying. The tank decided it was my fault. (Probably because I was asking questions to make sure I was doing it at the right time.) After a bunch of wipes, he called me bad names and quit. Then I took over tanking and we went through the rest of the dungeon with no wipes and only a couple deaths. I'm pretty sure this game will have a community that I love to hate. (The dungeons have been fun.)

Haha I had this happen a few times, it was amazing how impatient, arrogant, and obnoxious people were for a closed beta when you were supposed to be testing poo poo. I was regularly having to report/ignore people just in the general chat channels. This game is going to have positively the worst community outside of I dunno, Eve?

nau
Jun 26, 2003
With the NDA lifted, I have to comment on the engine. Apparently this engine is in house and it runs really horribly in wide open areas. I hope its just an effect of beta - but I have seen this happen before and its ugly after release. Especially considering they want to put 40 people with spell effects and telegraphs on your screen in raids. If they don't seriously improve the performance of this game, it won't last very long in the retail world.

For reference, in the main city of Illium (pretty wide open), I will hover around 30 FPS. I am running a 4770K @ 4.5GHZ with a Titan - this should be running with ease.

This is my one major concern for the game. The dungeons, classes and housing are all a ton of fun.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'd go so far to say that it'll have a community worse than world of warcraft. If there isn't a significant goon presence in this game to shelter you from the absolute shitheels I ran across during the beta, this game won't be worth playing just because of pubbies. This is probably an unintended consequence of the nostalgia factor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nau posted:

With the NDA lifted, I have to comment on the engine. Apparently this engine is in house and it runs really horribly in wide open areas. I hope its just an effect of beta - but I have seen this happen before and its ugly after release. Especially considering they want to put 40 people with spell effects and telegraphs on your screen in raids. If they don't seriously improve the performance of this game, it won't last very long in the retail world.

For reference, in the main city of Illium (pretty wide open), I will hover around 30 FPS. I am running a 4770K @ 4.5GHZ with a Titan - this should be running with ease.

This is my one major concern for the game. The dungeons, classes and housing are all a ton of fun.

I had the exact same issue, my system isn't top end but is still good enough to run anything else out there pretty well: i5 3570k, 16gb RAM, GTS 670. I would get 80+ FPS in housing, but <20 in Illium. There was the occasional super bug that would nuke frame rates (like an early on bug with the floating unit frames) but in general my performance in some areas sucked throughout beta in big open areas.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Patch notes seem to be posted here:
http://pastebin.com/CFTXvyiJ

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jesus christ, they weren't kidding about the 86 pages. I don't have the time to read through it until much later tonight, is there anything in there about reducing mob health or buffing damage for all players to reduce ttk?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

quote:

The time between Dawngrazer’s Ram of Fury and Furious Charge has been increased.
No word on decreasing the damage of the charge though...

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

TyrantWD posted:

Patch notes seem to be posted here:
http://pastebin.com/CFTXvyiJ

Time to play "Find the funniest bug!"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Just scrolled randomly through this and I saw that:

quote:

The Outhouse 1x1 plug was scaled to accommodate larger player races.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
So there was no reason to worry about leveling to 32, because no matter the level no one will play after 19th without having pre-ordered? Was it then just an intentional scare to force people to level faster for more mid and end game feedback? :raise:

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
More than likely you wont have to pay or get lucky to keep access to weekends.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
"The region you purchase WildStar in determines which servers you have access to (North America or Europe). WildStar does not support cross-region play. "

So if I want to play with the US goons I will need to buy the US version of the game... that sucks

futile
May 18, 2009

RiffRoff posted:

Time to play "Find the funniest bug!"
I found it. The server crashes every 5 seconds.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Merope posted:

So there was no reason to worry about leveling to 32, because no matter the level no one will play after 19th without having pre-ordered? Was it then just an intentional scare to force people to level faster for more mid and end game feedback? :raise:

They've clarified on the forum - anyone 32+ will have access to the weekends (only) regardless of whether they've preordered or not
Anyone that does preorder also gains or keeps access for the weekends (only)

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Even after spending a fair amount of time in the beta I still don't know if I want to buy this or not.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

rap music posted:

Even after spending a fair amount of time in the beta I still don't know if I want to buy this or not.

I'm just gonna wait until there's a bunch of changes before making a final call, and see if they fix the stuff everyone's complaining about that I also agreed with .

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
On paper, I'm interested in these engineer changes. Looks like there is more focus on keeping your volatility from going too high or low.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

I'm just gonna wait until there's a bunch of changes before making a final call, and see if they fix the stuff everyone's complaining about that I also agreed with .

I'm not sure either. I think the housing is incredible and the PvP is fun, but I don't want to pay a sub fee and won't be raiding or even playing all that much. It's kinda sad because there are definitely good elements here that I enjoy.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 12, 2014

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
This game was super grindy and everything progressed at a terrible pace. The pubbies are also the worst of pretty much any mmo I've played since wow.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

With the NDA up I just want to say that the devs might want to take a look at WHY people want to play each class, in relation to it's innate ability.

Warrior: People Play to be a swole giant fucker with a bigass sword.
-Innate: Bulwark/Juggernaut, Become an even bigger fucker with a bigger fuckoff sword. A+

Stalker: People play to be a stealthy / dodgy twat who can frontload their damage all at once then cry and hide if it doesn't kill stuff.
-Innate: Be a stealthy / dodgy twat. Tanking stance is super fun in groups. A+

Mechanic: Pet job! Pets can tank, Whoo tanky robots who are your friends and also love you.
-Innate: Big armour, The armour looks sweet but I feel like it should pimp your robots instead of your character. Then again, I'm used to a "pet job" being more like a pokemon trainer, where your pet is more important than your toon, and you mostly focus on microing them. I'll give it a fair B- and respect that it's not the kind of pet job I had hoped for.

Spellslinger: Mobility! Void Slip! Blink! Fly around the battlefield avoiding and backflipping!
-Innate: None. Doesn't exist. Spellslinger has a 'Surge' resource like volatility or 'suit power' but it doesn't feel at all like an innate ability. Why isn't void slip the innate, with a potency buff when you pop out of it? They kinda billed it like a class feature in all the vids. I was really looking forward to spellslinger, but I feel that it didn't do what it said on the box/vid.

I didn't do Medic or Esper, but Medic's looks solid, it's a stable refill for your resource, even if it doesn't do anything flashy.

I really wanted to enjoy spellslinger, but I found the job disappointingly boring. I feel like its resource managment wasn't as enjoyable as suit power or kinetic energy. It's not because of the TTK honestly, it seemed pretty fair and I enjoyed the pacing after the breakneck exping in other games. It just didn't have any glamor to it at all compared to the stalker or warrior.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not sure either. I think the housing is incredible and the PvP is fun, but I don't want to pay a sub fee and won't be raiding or even playing all that much. It's kinda sad because there are definitely good elements here that I enjoy.

It's annoying too because this is the closest thing to the ~next MMO~ to me that I've playd since WoW so it's just frustrating to see it so close to being "it". It's like 90% there, I just fear that the last 10% can't be done before launch.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
The engineer pets don't really tank.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So preordering next week gives you permanent weekend beta access? It's about time they did this since I'm annoyed with having to "compete" for weekend keys every single week. I didn't see if there's even a beta weekend going on this Friday.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

^ Yea, I'll preorder, the game was pretty fun. Hopping around doing quests was so-so, and serviceable. but the game really shines when it's saying "Nice! Disarm 10 more mines in 90 sec GO" or "BET YA CAN'T MAKE IT UP THE CLIFF IN 30 SEC, BETTER GET GOING DAISY" and every path quest I did was simply gold.

I think it'll be so-so if you grind it and spam raids. I think it'll be awesome if you play it chill, do quests and adventures when you feel like it.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

The engineer pets don't really tank.

Yeah, and yet that's the first thing they say about the bots in the engineer devspeak.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 12, 2014

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Engy pets don't tank very well, Bruiser bot is there for a tanking passive and another interrupt (which comes with a taunt that makes it die instantly).

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no2K8V1ZhwU

I guess the raiding does look pretty fun, albeit very familiar. I just have to remind myself that the last time I had fun raiding I was able to sit around in my underwear and do nothing but smoke weed and play video games for 12+ hours a day.

Now as a responsible adult I'm lucky if I get an hour a day to smoke weed and play video games.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

ruffz posted:

So preordering next week gives you permanent weekend beta access? It's about time they did this since I'm annoyed with having to "compete" for weekend keys every single week. I didn't see if there's even a beta weekend going on this Friday.

Yeah, however beta week-ends are scheduled only every other week now apparently (there is a list of the upcoming beta week-end dates in the FAQ on the preorder page). There will also be a fully open beta shortly before early access if I understand things correctly.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Zlodo posted:

Yeah, however beta week-ends are scheduled only every other week now apparently (there is a list of the upcoming beta week-end dates in the FAQ on the preorder page). There will also be a fully open beta shortly before early access if I understand things correctly.

I hope you're right about the open beta, because I'm hesitant to put money down after the beta weekends. I'll go ahead and echo everyone else and say that I'd probably have found the game more engaging if the combat felt a bit more fast-paced and things died faster. Also, having played a spellslinger, I noticed more than a few of my shots would sail over my target's head if I didn't take elevation into account. This was disheartening.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

allsizesfitone posted:

I hope you're right about the open beta, because I'm hesitant to put money down after the beta weekends. I'll go ahead and echo everyone else and say that I'd probably have found the game more engaging if the combat felt a bit more fast-paced and things died faster. Also, having played a spellslinger, I noticed more than a few of my shots would sail over my target's head if I didn't take elevation into account. This was disheartening.

The Wildstar twitter said there would be open beta along with the beta weekends.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 12, 2014

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

allsizesfitone posted:

There was a tweet not too long ago saying there'd be an open beta about a month prior to launch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lemon King posted:

The Wildstar twitter said there would be open beta along with the beta weekends.

My favourite moment of Wildstar beta was when I first found you and started yelling STAIRS?!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

CLAM DOWN posted:

My favourite moment of Wildstar beta was when I first found you and started yelling STAIRS?!
Confused the hell out of me when you were doing that too.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Six AM posted:

This game was super grindy and everything progressed at a terrible pace. The pubbies are also the worst of pretty much any mmo I've played since wow.

Grindy should be relatively easy to fix. They can just tweak mobs hp or defensive attributes, or the number of mobs to kill.

Myself I can't tell the difference between a grindy or non-grindy quest any more than I can tell which brand of paint is more fun to watch dry, but the BGs were fun, even as a stalker (although there are issues with the stalker in pvp and the patch notes that have been posted don't seem to address some of them), and the world pvp is going to work like in wow (meaning I'll be able to be an rear end in a top hat and pass time by repeatedly killing the spergs who grind daily quests), so I like this game so far.

WS seems pretty ambitious overall and given all they managed to do, if the only big problem they have is the pacing of quests then I'm not worrying much. That and the performance issues but they have plenty of time to profile the drat thing, find the bottleneck(s), and fix them.

It's most likely related to rendering given that increasing the view distance even in almost empty places such as the arkships was the worst offender on the FPS (other than render target scaling which is just a brute force way to achieve antialiasing and is best left to 1 anyway). It's a topic where the sources of performance issues and the way to fix them are well known, plus they aren't attempting to do anything crazy with the graphics, so I'm confident they'll fix it.

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Manifest Dynasty posted:

On paper, I'm interested in these engineer changes. Looks like there is more focus on keeping your volatility from going too high or low.
I don't see the duration/cooldown tradeoffs helping tanking in dungeons, but it should make it more useful in the open world. Removing the movement penalties when using the active innate is a nice change.

Also, it looks like an overall nerf to stuff I was using (I completely ignored bots except for tanking, which required the bruiser):

quote:

Bio Shell
Telegraph Timing should now display properly.
Base
20.18 damage per level, down from 34.23.
63.76% Assault Power, down from 108.06%.
2s cast time, down from 3s.
Minor Tier Bonus
8.35% Support Power per tier, down from 13.4% per tier.
Tier 4 Bonus
Removed previous Tier 4 Bonus.
Grants 100% chance to make Bio Shell instant cast while between 30 and 70 Volatility.
Pretty severe damage nerf on this in exchange for a shorter cast time. Not a good change, in my opinion. The large alpha hit helped in PvE tremendously, and the beginning of engagements in PvP. The Tier4 formerly let you instant cast it at 100% Volatility... and I think it made the next Bio Shell instant cast within a time, so you could use it despite losing Volatility between fights. Mixed feelings on the Tier4 change, but definitely a nerf before Tier4.

quote:

Energy Auger
Tier 4 Bonus
No longer increases duration of the field.
Now places a damage over time spell that deals 6.7% Assault Power damage every 1s for 3s to anyone in the field.
Tier 8 Bonus
Snare duration 3s, up from 0.75s.
Minor Tier Bonus
Fixed the Field damage per tick so it properly scales up by 1% per tier after Tier 4.
The duration increase previously added 2s to the damage field. Not sure if this is a buff or nerf, really.

quote:

Feedback
Tier 4 Bonus
No longer reduces the cooldown.
If between 30 and 70 Volatility, gain 15 Volatility on cast.
For reference, the cooldown is 8s - the reduction was by 2s at Tier 4. The new 15 Volatility generation is pretty useless. This is very similar to Quick Burst below, but doesn't appear to have received the 'Now can be cast while casting other spells' change. The difference between Feedback and Quick Burst is that Feedback is available after a Deflect, while Quick Burst is available after a Critical Hit. Oh, and Feedback hits much harder.

quote:

Hyper Wave
Now can be cast while casting other spells.
Tier 4 Bonus
No longer reduces cooldown.
Generates 17 Volatility on cast.
Previously, the cooldown reduction was from 15s to 12s. While being able to cast it apart from spells is nice, it's the only Taunt that Engineers get. I don't know how the AMPs have changed, but there was a series of AMPs that granted 4%/8%/12% bonus Deflect chance after using a Taunt (which did NOT work with the bot) for 3s, which made the reduced cooldown really nice. Generating 17 Volatility is useless, just like with Feedback.

quote:

Pulse Blast
Base
Builds 15 Volatility, down from 20.
Tier 4 Bonus
No longer always builds extra Volatility.
Grants an Additional 5 Volatility, if used between 30 and 70 Volatility.
Tier 8 Bonus
No longer deals damage over time.
Grants Empower increasing damage output by 9.5% for 6s.
Oh, so that's why they're giving other abilities Volatility generation, because they're nerfing the gently caress out of Engineer's bread-and-butter Volatility builder. That's going to really gently caress over lower levels. You can't even get Tier4 before level 25, I think? The Tier8 is a buff to higher levels, though.

quote:

Quick Burst
Can now fire Quick Burst while casting other spells.
Tier 4 Bonus
Armor Pierce 40%, up from 10%.
A nice buff to both the upgrade and the base ability.

quote:

Unsteady Miasma
Base
2.24 damage per level, up from 2.03.
7.07% Support Power, up from 6.38%
Duration of field is 6s, down from 8s.
Minor Tier Bonus
0.7% Support Power per tier, up from 0.65%.
Tier 4 Bonus
No longer increases duration and reduces tick time of the field.
Applies a 16% Crowd Control Ability Resilience debuff for 3s.
Tier 8 Bonus
Fixed the tooltip to reflect the proper bonus.
Unsteady Miasma puts a big circular field on the ground (that can be deflected by the target, which makes it never appear) and was my choice to replace Electrocute. Unsteady Miasma isn't for damage - it's for the huge bonus to Deflect granted to everyone getting attacked by things within the field (25% plus .5% per level). A very slight increase to damage in exchange for a significant reduction in duration is useless. The previous Tier4 upgrade was crap, though - it halved the damage and doubled the tick rate... so it did the same damage to something standing in the field the whole time. I don't recall it increasing the duration like the patch notes claim. Overall, a significant nerf to what it's for.

The only other ability I used is Zap, which doesn't appear to have changed in the notes.

• Locked thread