Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Shrapnac posted:

I coached U10-U12 girls one year to help out my buddy whose daughter was on the team.

Here's my advice: Don't.

Having a a couple daughters in that age range, I can only imagine the nightmare of coaching an entire team of them. That said, I've really enjoyed coaching thus far. I've been a fan of soccer my whole life courtesy of having a South American stepdad but never played other than casaully since the bumblefuck place I grew up didn't have socccer. I picked up coaching when we were told when my oldest was in U-6 they wouldnt be able to field a team because they didn't have a team. Been coaching at the youth level ever since then and it's been great. You definitely have to have a certain ability to deal with kid shenanigans and have some thick skin at times because parents are generally the worst. I just kind of ignore the parents and concentrate on the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Shrapnac posted:

I coached U10-U12 girls one year to help out my buddy whose daughter was on the team.

Here's my advice: Don't.

I agree with this person. There's too many bad coaches in the world already.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Played my first game in goal in over three years as an emergency fill-in for a 7v7 men's league.

It was awful. My instincts were bad, my positioning was poo poo (not made easier by the goal being off center by a yard or so), and my distribution was inconsistent at best. Did manage to clatter their mouthy forward on a high ball though :D

It's a team of strangers, and we played the defending champions. After a rough 10 minute start, we held our own into halftime and even pulled within a goal shortly after the restart. Then it went to hell. A lack of subs was painful, but the the worst thing was the basic breakdown in effort. Your man makes a run? Nah, don't follow. Someone plays a ball into space for you? Don't bother running.

A frustrating night, but the guys seem decent, and I'm sure it'll be a fun season once we feel each other out.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First game since August tonight. Already sore from moving furniture for a friend yesterday. Hope my appalling fitness doesn't show me up too badly.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Turf burn sucks.

Cleaning the little granules of rubber out of the place where you used to have skin is the worst pain on earth.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

Turf burn sucks.

Cleaning the little granules of rubber out of the place where you used to have skin is the worst pain on earth.

Until you take a shower.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Shrapnac posted:

Until you take a shower.

Yeah, I did it in the shower. Washed out the rubber and cleaned it with gold Dial. Pain like you've never known.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I play defense for my team. I've been hinting at wanting to play offense. I scored a goal in the first minute of Sunday's game as stopper....and the other team kicked off. I immediatly yelled sub and ran off the field. Watched our team dominate, but went into half time with a 1-0 lead. I got to start the second half as defensive mid. Scored another goal and got an assist in a 4-0 win. I have been telling everyone that knows me this story. SA included. Maybe my kids will have children really young so I can tell my grandkids, too.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Well, that was an interesting chat.

:sigh:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Captain Trips posted:

Yeah, I did it in the shower. Washed out the rubber and cleaned it with gold Dial. Pain like you've never known.

Good thing you didn't mintify.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

So I entered a tournament with the office dudes, it's a 5-a-side tournament for tech companies. You might imagine a bunch of skinny nerds and fat goons running around behind the ball, but in this country everyone plays so the biggest of dweebs can be a great forward and the fattest of goons can be a killer defender.

Gonna be an interesting experience, I am definitely the weakest link in the team but nobody else can play in goal so we'll see how it goes.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just got out of surgery. poo poo hurts.

One down. One to go

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
take it easy and recover fast, Soulex, you need to get fit for the world cup.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Good luck man, take it slow. I take it you'll be in a wheelchair or at least on crutches?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The doc said standard protocol says wheelchair for 2 weeks, but he thinks that's stupid. So crutches for me right now. Lots of staying in bed.

Thanks for the support all. As soon as I am allowed to take my bandage off (5 days) I'll finally get to see how bad it really looks.

The four ride home was torture. gently caress Army hospital locations abroad

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
And now I feel like a pussy with my pulled groin and turf rash.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Post the video of the surgery if you got it

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Are you kidding me? gently caress turf rash forever. I'd take surgery every day of the week over that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lazlow posted:

Post the video of the surgery if you got it

I don't think military hospitals release that stuff if they record it at all.

I'll ask but I doubt it'll turn up in favor.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I was joking but hey, I've seen worse on the forums. :munch:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

The doc said standard protocol says wheelchair for 2 weeks, but he thinks that's stupid. So crutches for me right now. Lots of staying in bed.

Thanks for the support all. As soon as I am allowed to take my bandage off (5 days) I'll finally get to see how bad it really looks.

Landstuhl? At least it's the best military one in Europe. Hope you recover quickly!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Landstuhl? At least it's the best military one in Europe. Hope you recover quickly!

Oh it's a great hospital. I am just upset it's so far away.

Especially because travel costs come out of my pocket without reimbursement.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Soulex posted:

Oh it's a great hospital. I am just upset it's so far away.

Especially because travel costs come out of my pocket without reimbursement.

If I were you I'd look into this. JFTR specifically authorizes you to be reimbursed for travel costs for medical procedures. It doesn't say you have to be, but you can be. I don't know what branch you are but I'd make the case if I were you.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Soulex posted:

Your doctor is willfully ignoring standard protocol and you are cool with this?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

It's the military. Standard protocol is usually loving retarded.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

It's not the doctor, it's my command, who is also making me come back off of convalescent leave early.

There is a system in place for me to supposedly get my money back. However, since we are a strange unit, and very small, we lack a lot of things that normal units have. Such as S-1. Because of this, I've been getting the run around on who to talk to and what not. The form I fill out says S-1, so I talk to our finance guy. He says it's command discretion (it's not) and tells me to talk to the commander. I talk to the commander and they refer me to finance on my base to figure it out. The finance office tells me to contact my finance guy in my unit.

It's a literal circle of poo poo. I've easily spent close to a thousand dollars on train tickets, gas, food and hotels since my problems have started. There really isn't anywhere else I can turn. I would love to get my money back.

So, in short, the military is loving retarded when it comes to health care. Trying to get anything done is equating to making an appointment to make an appointment, then you might not see the same provider which sucks because if you are trying to fix something and it didn't work, that provider doesn't know or care and you end up trying it again. Then you finally get a diagnosis, and referred to someone else. Then the process starts all over again until someone with enough balls finally decides to do something about it. Seriously. How long have I been talking about this poo poo, and I'm just NOW getting surgery. That's not loving normal!

K. Done ranting.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Soulex posted:

It's not the doctor, it's my command, who is also making me come back off of convalescent leave early.

This and this

quote:

There is a system in place for me to supposedly get my money back. However, since we are a strange unit, and very small, we lack a lot of things that normal units have. Such as S-1. Because of this, I've been getting the run around on who to talk to and what not. The form I fill out says S-1, so I talk to our finance guy. He says it's command discretion (it's not) and tells me to talk to the commander. I talk to the commander and they refer me to finance on my base to figure it out. The finance office tells me to contact my finance guy in my unit.

It's a literal circle of poo poo. I've easily spent close to a thousand dollars on train tickets, gas, food and hotels since my problems have started. There really isn't anywhere else I can turn. I would love to get my money back.

are both bullshit, especially the first. If a medical authority says you have to remain LIMDU or SIQ for a certain amount of time your command cannot override that. As for getting reimbursed whoever normally authorized funds for TAD/TDY travel for your command is who can authorize it. I recommend that you go to the Goons in Platoons subforum and ask about both these issues in the Q&A thread so someone smart on your service's specifics can help you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I frequent that forum, and unfortunately my doctor confirmed the "commanders discretion" for con leave. AR 600-8-10 Section 5-3c states that the unit commander is the approving authority for up to 30 days. So, it really is up to him (my commander likes to remind people that he can deny people stuff). The doctor makes the recommendation, however, it is the commander that approves it. Of course you can fight it and call the doctor, which I did, who said he is willing to give a direct order for me to take the full time. He also agreed that what I stated above is indeed the policy.

And as far as he finances thing goes, I doubt anyone would know what to do. I'll try, but the chances of something like this being normal occurrences is slim. I'm with a very small unit. We do not have supply, we do not have a motor pool, we do not have a medic. We are, essentially, a squad or two of people 400k away from HQ. the biggest problem is I am not on a TDY status, and therefore cannot use DTS to get my money.

Trust me, this isn't my first song and dance with the Army. I appreciate the concern though.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

you're in Python Patrol, aren't you

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I don't even know what that is tbh.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Look at all those acronyms :allears:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I need a new loving Avatar.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Welp, just picked up the Copa samba edition:

The accents are more orange than I expected from the promo photos.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

So, in short, the military is loving retarded when it comes to health care. Trying to get anything done is equating to making an appointment to make an appointment, then you might not see the same provider which sucks because if you are trying to fix something and it didn't work, that provider doesn't know or care and you end up trying it again. Then you finally get a diagnosis, and referred to someone else. Then the process starts all over again until someone with enough balls finally decides to do something about it. Seriously. How long have I been talking about this poo poo, and I'm just NOW getting surgery. That's not loving normal!

K. Done ranting.

This just reminds me that the backlog for medical claims at the VA is at or near a million. Every guy looking for a vote praises soldiers in combat, but we can't get them to get their poo poo together on supporting em once they're no longer deployed. Good luck, dude.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Soulex posted:

I don't even know what that is tbh.

It's okay, I know you have to give that answer :ninja:

[url] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_Patrol /url]

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

Welp, just picked up the Copa samba edition:

The accents are more orange than I expected from the promo photos.

Think I'll get myself a pair of those. Where did you get them?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Think I'll get myself a pair of those. Where did you get them?

Soccer Loco here in San Diego.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Do those come in "Normal tongue" versions? I love Sambas, but I hate that giant tongue.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Question: pickup games - is that an American thing where you can go to a local pitch and just play with randoms ?

I've never heard of this in my area (NW UK) but if it happens in the Uk I'll defiantly look out for it as I'm about to move 200 miles away from home... To be fair in my area you can play 6 a side 7 days a week if you wanted to here.

There was a lot of goalie glove chat over the last couple of pages so I'll add my 2 penneth worth - I can't abide by finger save gloves - I find it restricts your control when throwing, probably get away with it in 11 a side but I play a lot of 6 a side where kicking is banned so I like to be on top of my throwing.

Another interesting one, is when I was a kid my coach wouldn't let me use gloves in training - this has stuck with me since I was 10, just putting it out there if anyone fancies giving it a go.

Also someone mentioned off centre posts - always always scratch out where your posts are with your studs in the turf/astro pellets, then you can know where your posts are without turning around. Just a suggestion if you hadn't heard of the tip...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Yeah that's the gist of a pickup game.

I'll try that suggestion for the posts, I'm always turning to find the far post on wing plays.