Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Vince Wilfork is requesting to be released according to Albert Breer

edit: Source https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/444177133104267264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
:stare: That's pretty much out of nowhere

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Chris Gaines posted:

Smith and Talib on the same team :laffo:

This needs to happen just for the epic fist fight that steve will inevitably instigate.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I assume they are probably trying to cut his salary and he wants no part of it

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Luminous Cow posted:

That's rough because their replacements for him sucked a lot. But he may not be budging off his salary and who knows if he is too old, fat and injured to play decently again. He's also, outside of B & B, the face of the Patriots and it would be great if he could have retired here.

I guess it's time to kick the tires on giant fat DTs.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

AAA DOLFAN posted:

And on that note - I'm awful at copying twitter but same guy who broke the Starks story like 4 hours prior to announcement said Miami is making an offer to Donald penn immediately. Want him at RT.

Edit "want him on right" was the actual phrasing so maybe RG OR RT?

I'm assuming that I should be angry and depressed about this?

Also, wtf is up with Wilfork? I thought he was one of the true believers up there?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Luminous Cow posted:

Isn't Wilfork super important to the Patriots D in that he is so good at being a space eater that it frees up all the LBs?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

:stare: That's pretty much out of nowhere

They've been asking him to take a pay cut (on the last year of his deal, $11.6m cap hit), and he apparently does not wish to do this!

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Kalli posted:

They've been asking him to take a pay cut (on the last year of his deal, $11.6m cap hit), and he apparently does not wish to do this!

That's pretty much what the twitterverse is saying right now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ted Ginn is at Arizona's facility...could be a nice pickup. Ginn and Patrick Peterson deep on kickoff returns would be crazy. I think they'll take P2 off kick return duties though.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Isn't Wilfork super important to the Patriots D in that he is so good at being a space eater that it frees up all the LBs?

That's his role but he's also pretty old and very hurt. They haven't found anyone worth a drat to replace him, but maybe they can with that money.

I love big Vince though :(

quote:

Thought it was a restructure, but a flat out cut wouldn't be shocking.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Pats needed to restructure or release Wilfork. Simple as that. No way in hell was he worth 11 million dollars this season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Pats needed to restructure or release Wilfork. Simple as that. No way in hell was he worth 11 million dollars this season.

...he played in like 3.5 games.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

...he played in like 3.5 games.

This season coming up.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if the pats couldn't just extend him a couple of years with a new contract for a lower amount per year, surely he knows he probably isn't going to get a blockbuster contract in FA.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

I wonder if the pats couldn't just extend him a couple of years with a new contract for a lower amount per year, surely he knows he probably isn't going to get a blockbuster contract in FA.

He has to want to do that. It looks like he doesn't.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He's still worth a significant amount, just not really near $11m. He also shouldn't be playing more then 50% of snaps like he had been forced to for the last handful of years. Replacing him will be difficult as they haven't found anyone who can create any kind of interior pass rush since 2007.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

33 year old 350lb man coming off a torn achilles. This was going to happen one way or another.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

He'll be 33 this season with an insane workload on his body, coming back from injury. The Patriots probably do not want to give him an extension.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Son of a bitch :(

Hope we can land another big fat guy in the draft then.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's time to do the honorable thing and trade him to Oakland.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oakland still has a poo poo ton of money, maybe they'll throw a dump truck full of money. It doesn't seem like he would ask for a release if his agent didn't have a line on a better situation.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
FWIW, jeffersonlives said the guy who replaced Vince when he went down, i think Joe Vellano, was playing better than Vince and it was a blessing in disguise, i don't know how true that is.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He's a unique player, but just not worth that amount of money when you consider the type of injury he's coming off of and his age. It's a shame the Patriots were never really able to find anyone of quality to help limit his snaps. The guy was an iron man in his last full seasons.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Luminous Cow posted:

Don't have to throw at Revis if you can just run up the middle.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

FWIW, jeffersonlives said the guy who replaced Vince when he went down, i think Joe Vellano, was playing better than Vince and it was a blessing in disguise, i don't know how true that is.

Not true at all?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

In retrospect losing Kelly to injury was worse than losing Wilfork last season.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He still on contract or is he an FA?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Jermichael Finley is leaving Seattle today & there is mutual interest in him signing with #Seahawks, per source. Waiting for clearance tho

I'd rather Seattle draft a TE. His neck injury seems like a huge risk.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What? hell no. Losing both was the real problem. If either had stayed healthy, they don't end up trading a 5th for Soap.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
If they grant it, does that mean they'll pursuit Raji? (not sure how their styles compare, I just know he's another big)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

What? hell no. Losing both was the real problem. If either had stayed healthy, they don't end up trading a 5th for Soap.

It was super clear in the first 3 games that something was wrong with Vince. Who knows if it was related to what became the achilles tear.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
sasfreeagentchart.jpg yessssssssssss

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

davecrazy posted:

Don't have to throw at Revis if you can just run up the middle.

My thoughts exactly.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Rabid Snake posted:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Jermichael Finley is leaving Seattle today & there is mutual interest in him signing with #Seahawks, per source. Waiting for clearance tho

There's been some Giants rumors too. Double the chances of seeing yet another person paralyzed on the field at MetLife.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Intruder posted:

sasfreeagentchart.jpg yessssssssssss

love when it happens with a player who demands release because you can see it in real time

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
For some reason I thought Tracy Porter was way older than he is. Is there a reason he's been bouncing around teams for the past few years?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Luminous Cow posted:

He'll be a Bronco by the end of today.

In other news, more details about the Saffold fiasco are coming to light

quote:

c Tafur ‏@VicTafur 25m
Also, there was no buyer's remorse from #Raiders on Rodger Saffold. Team got cold feet over "torn labrum," sources

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 22m
Sources said #Raiders trainers said Saffold's shoulder wouldn't heal properly without surgery, and owner Mark Davis wasn't happy about that

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 20m
Sources: It was McKenzie's call to rescind contract, but after Davis made clear that if it was up to owner, he wouldn't go through with it

More importantly...

quote:

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 43m
Justin Tuck, Lamarr Woodley and Jason Hatcher are back in the building. Can Reggie McKenzie get all three done? #Raiders
I'm sure McKenzie will find a way to passive aggressively diss them and they will all leave without signing though.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Rabid Snake posted:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Seahawks will sign him then after losing out a starting position, they'll trade him to Buffalo for draft picks. He won't want to be in Buffalo so they send him to Oakland where he immediately gets released and then signs back with the Packers. Circle of life in the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rap posted:

love when it happens with a player who demands release because you can see it in real time

Has anyone said anything about Wilfork that wasn't true? No one ever said he was a lovely player. But he's 300+ pounds, turning 33, and he's coming off an ACL tear, which is difficult to come back from even when you're young and not a big fat dude. The Patriots asked him to restructure and he said no, and as good as he's been he's no longer worth $11 million.

I expect some team somewhere in need of an NT will back a dump truck full of cash up to his house though.

• Locked thread