Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter now

Former Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley agreed to a two-year deal with the Oakland Raiders with a max value of $12 million dollars.

Treat him well. He's still an absolute monster pass rusher, really good against the run, and pretty decent in coverage. Hopefully he'll be able to see the field for more than half a season with yall since that's been his issue for 3 years now. I'll miss him :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter now

Former Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley agreed to a two-year deal with the Oakland Raiders with a max value of $12 million dollars.

we're really setting up a great team circa 2010 aren't we boys

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Lots of talent, big dude, but really inconsistent. He's a good run stopper, not much in terms of pass rush up the middle. I think he'd be good with a DC like Labeau, and he's only like 27.

Cool.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Boba Phat posted:

Why? Do you hate football?

The Chargers swindled a 2nd round pick out of the Seahawks for him, and he came back to San Diego anyway. And he's a cool guy.

It really doesn't matter who the backup QB for the Chargers is since if Rivers goes down we're hosed regardless, I just like Whitehurst.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dont worry the Panthers have a plan

Rotoworld posted:

Profootballtalk reports that, as of Wednesday evening, the Panthers had yet to show interest in free agent Hakeem Nicks.

They definitely have a plan

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Dang. Bye Whitehurst. I like you a lot.

Said literally only you, ever.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

This actually does surprise me, if only because Gettleman has a hard-on for every Giants prospect/player ever.

Typical of how this FA period has gone for us, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gettleman has come to the conclusion that all wide receivers are distractions, so the only way to have a clean clubhouse is to have none.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Most backup QBs the Chargers have had have been p.cool. Volek, Whitehurst, Flutie, Rivers was a backup once.

Also that new 7th rounder Brad Sorensen dude seems pretty chill.

edit: it is ross and i, fighting the good fight

edit2: for the record, we only think they are cool dudes because we got a lot of years from Brees and Rivers and haven't really had to rely on these guys for much (except for that one time Volek lit it up in the playoffs, and when Flutie became the oldest man to have two rushing TDs in a game)

Miko fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 13, 2014

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
What other over-the-hill free agents should I be rooting for the Raiders to sign?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

What other over-the-hill free agents should I be rooting for the Raiders to sign?

TO, Ocho, and Tebow are all currently available

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Miko posted:

Most backup QBs the Chargers have had have been p.cool. Volek, Whitehurst, Flutie, Rivers was a backup once.

Also that new 7th rounder Brad Sorensen dude seems pretty chill.

edit: it is ross and i, fighting the good fight

Yeah, the team really likes Sorensen.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

I guess Wilfork at this point.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Woodson.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Riverboat Ron is gonna pull the lever on a bunch of WRs in the draft, it seems. Unless they go kidnap James Jones in New Jersey before he can sign a contract there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Brett Favre

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I heard they were looking at Andre Brown

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Sad thing this guys are better than anything on the roster.After these past 2 days these signings feel great.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Sweeney Tom posted:

TO, Ocho, and Tebow are all currently available

No, no, no

Prozach posted:

I guess Wilfork at this point.

Yes

Nawid posted:

Woodson.

Yes

Yes

Azhais posted:

I heard they were looking at Andre Brown

Yes

It is really sad how poor this team is and how poor they will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

It's Florio. I wouldn't trust a word of it.

Edit: LaCanfora even verified that we offered him a contract. Florio is a hack that goes out of his way to troll the Panthers.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 13, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Really liking this offseason so far for the Vikes. Melton would be the cherry on top of FA if they can get him as well, but even without I'll be pretty stoked going into the inevitable draft hilarity.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Yoshifan823 posted:

Riverboat Ron is gonna pull the lever on a bunch of WRs in the draft, it seems. Unless they go kidnap James Jones in New Jersey before he can sign a contract there.

Has a team ever started two rookie wide receivers as their main threats before?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Didn't see this posted so

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 1h
Aqib Talib's 6-year deal with Denver is more like a 3-year, $27 million deal. More reasonable than advertised. $18M thru 2. $12M in Year 1.

@AlbertBreer 1h
So barring a bad injury, the Broncos can get out of the Talib deal at pretty much any time after this season.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Someone asked last page if Browners suspension and subsequent pay loss for 8 games could be affected with a signing bonus versus straight salary.

IIRC, the Saints restructured Will Smith's contract when he was going to be suspended and converted a lot of salary to a bonus that he got to keep, even if suspended.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Said literally only you, ever.

and John Schneider

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Glad Harrison is gone.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Jason Hatcher is a Redskin.

Starting to slowly realize I have no idea who anyone is.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Hatcher seems like a solid signing, will reserve judgement till I see the numbers tho.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

Goddammit, why :smith:

Is Gettleman's plan to just nuke literally the entire roster? How does he expect to replace anybody?

The dude has 0 dollars to waste. Carolina leads the NFL in dead money and currently has 30 million dollars counting toward the defensive end position because Hurney bent over and let Charles take what he wanted. His plan is basically to let every free agent walk and let the market dictate their price. Most of the guys in the secondary other than the only guy with real talent we had (munnerlyn) won't get offers and will be back for a minimum deals.

He can't afford to splurge on dudes, next year Cam needs a new contract, so will Greg Hardy, the year later he's gotta keep Kuechly a year after that he's gotta get Short and Loutoulelei new deals. The dude has no room to move. All they can do is offer their targets what the team can afford and hope for the best. It's dumb to blow up a roster but he said time and time again last year and this year, they'll sign who they can afford and keep an eye on the future. If you want to be pissed at someone be pissed at Hurney because right now the following players are counting toward the cap:

D. Williams: 6 million
J Stewart: 4.5 million
G Olsen: 8 million
C. Godfrey: 7 million

They are still paying off stupid contracts like the ones they gave to Beason who's carrying an 8 million dollar price tag in dead money.

The dude has no money to spend. If Hardy gets extended properly to half his current 13 million figure we're in play.

Coldforge posted:

Needs cap room to sign more RBs. Why bother with WRs or DBs when you can just run quintuple options all day and outscore everyone?

That was Hurney dude. He threw massive and I mean loving massive money into Beason, Davis, Stewart and Williams. He also gave too big contracts to guys who're now gone. If you look at Carolina's dead money, they lead the league with 18 million dollars. That would've been enough to keep smith around, re-sign munnerlyn and ginn and probably out bid the Buccs for Collins...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

BlindSite posted:

That was Hurney dude. He threw massive and I mean loving massive money into Beason, Davis, Stewart and Williams. He also gave too big contracts to guys who're now gone. If you look at Carolina's dead money, they lead the league with 18 million dollars. That would've been enough to keep smith around, re-sign munnerlyn and ginn and probably out bid the Buccs for Collins...

That may have been in the past, but it's hard to kick a reputation once its established. Like the Texans had a reputation for being terrible for years, and now- poo poo

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I have no idea how Hurney convinced himself to sign two runningbacks to starter contracts. The fact that they aren't playing well is beside the point, a decade ago when backs were important, Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes had to be split up, and the same for Tomlinson and Turner/Sproles. I just can't imagine how you could convince yourself to sign both of them to big deals.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

IcePhoenix posted:

Really liking this offseason so far for the Vikes. Melton would be the cherry on top of FA if they can get him as well, but even without I'll be pretty stoked going into the inevitable draft hilarity.

They're doing a good job of addressing their more pressing needs in FA. Griffen, Joseph, and Munnerlyn should all play key roles in their defense. Evans and Brinkely add some depth and if they sign Melton, then they'll have a group of 4 good DTs. Even with all that progress, the Vikings have a lot of work to do on D. They have no depth at DE, the talent at linebacker needs to be upgraded, they still need to draft one more corner, and safety opposite of Smith could be improved, but that's a lower priority compared to the other needs.

On offense things are looking good. Re-signing Cassel was a smart move. He gives them some continuity at QB and he can hold the fort until whomever they draft is ready. They still need to find a LG. Charlie Johnson is still in play for some reason and they are looking at some cheap backup linemen, but maybe they'll give Baca or a draft pick a shot there. They also had interest in bringing Simpson back for cheap, but that doesn't seem to be a priority.

I think that the Vikings have around $5 million left before the rookie pool. We'll see what happens with Melton and OL depth, but I'd still like to see them make an offer to Vincent Rey. I'm not sure if that's realistic after all of the other moves that they've made, but he would be the last piece on defense that I'd like to add before the draft.

The draft should be very interesting. The Vikings are positioning themselves to draft BPA, but considering how aggressively they are filling needs in FA, I do wonder if trading up for a QB is in play? I don't think they'd want to give up too much, but if someone like Bridgewater slides, then maybe it makes sense to move up a couple of picks. Otherwise, I can easily see them trading down or taking the best defensive player available. I'd love to add Khalil Mack to their defense, but it doesn't seem like he'll last until 8 at this point.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Happy about the Redskins showing some patience this year with their FA decisions. Don't mind the Hatcher signing at all.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
I really don't want to give up this av but it'd be too depressing to keep it if Vince leaves :smith:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Kind of bummed the Raiders signed Woodley. I was kind of hoping the Raiders went full on The Replacements mode complete with hiring Gene Hackman as coach and Keanu as QB.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Here we go: Former Panthers WR Steve Smith is scheduled to fly tonight to Baltimore to spend Friday meeting with Ravens, per source.

Rodger Saffold ‏@Rodger_Saffold
Fans of #RaiderNation I'm sorry that you had to go thru this loyal fans don't deserve this. I'm thankful and value the support from you all

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Four-year, $27.5 million contract for Hatcher. Don't know how much is guaranteed but I was hoping they got him for less.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Does Smith have any tread left? I loved him back in the day but his production seems to have dipped significantly last season, despite playing nearly every game and Newton not having other targets.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Cowboys defense is hosed...again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

SlipUp posted:

Does Smith have any tread left? I loved him back in the day but his production seems to have dipped significantly last season, despite playing nearly every game and Newton not having other targets.

He's a chainmover who can still turn it on. You could do much worse. He also beat $$Talib$$ like a drum when the Pats and Panthers played.

• Locked thread