Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like I know Keenan Allen was good last year and that was very exciting but people realize that rookie receivers are usually pretty bad, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

So your advice would be that a 8-8 team with one of the best defenses in football, an anemic offense that lost them 3 games on its own, and $40 million in cap room should nothing to help that offense except maybe draft a receiver? And that it's not wise to sign a good/very good receiver to an eminently reasonable deal because "he is 27 and a rookie would be 22!"? Gotcha.

Also, teams become Super Bowl contenders by, you know, adding talent to their team.

Yeah, I don't see how Decker does anything but help the Jets. I mean, even if he's just a guy who ends up drawing coverage, it gives Kerley and Hill room to develop.

Also, the age argument is ridiculous because if it was true, it would render all free-agent signings meaningless. Why sign a veteran when you could just draft a rookie? :downs:

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Why sign a veteran when you could just draft a rookie? :downs:

You get it now :)

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

quote:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 43m

The #Raiders continue to try to add talented veterans. #Texans ninja Antonio Smith is visiting Oakland today. Slated to visit #Rams tomorrow

quote:

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1h

Source: Michael Oher visiting Titans today, Raiders up next: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...0,6226118.story

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MourningView posted:

Like I know Keenan Allen was good last year and that was very exciting but people realize that rookie receivers are usually pretty bad, right?

I am terrified that he's going to crater this year just because of how bad young WRs usually are

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Butthead posted:

I could sound the Packers/Steelers fan alarm if you want some rending of garments over this approach.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Butthead posted:

For the record, I do not think Decker is in any way bad. He is good at football. However, this is a very deep wide receiver draft class in which every prospect is 4-5 years younger than Decker, and would be cheaper than Decker as well. Let's face it, the Jets aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, so they should draft and develop. The reason the Jets are in this situation in the first place is because they trade for guys like Santonio Holmes and signed them to big contracts when they could have drafted Eric Decker in 2010.

You don't know what the guy will be like in the NFL (regardless of the inevitable first year slump). With Decker you have seen his production with multiple QBs.

I fail to see how this was not a good signing by the Jets.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I am terrified that he's going to crater this year just because of how bad young WRs usually are

Eddie Royal also had a great rookie year

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's overpaying for what he gives you but if it doesn't impact any other signings that were going to be made, oh well. That's the way the NFL is now. You underpay for good rookies and you overpay for every veteran.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Blitz7x posted:

Eddie Royal also had a great rookie year

Not that good though. Of guys who were as good as Allen was right away the only one I can think of who completely fell off the map was Michael Clayton, which in hindsight is one of the weirdest seasons ever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Nnamdi Asohahahahahaha sorry, I can't even try to finish that. gently caress you Nnamdi.

*signs great cover CB whose entire strength lies in ability to blanket receivers in man coverage*

*has him play zone*

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Butthead posted:

For the record, I do not think Decker is in any way bad. He is good at football. However, this is a very deep wide receiver draft class in which every prospect is 4-5 years younger than Decker, and would be cheaper than Decker as well. Let's face it, the Jets aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, so they should draft and develop. The reason the Jets are in this situation in the first place is because they trade for guys like Santonio Holmes and signed them to big contracts when they could have drafted Eric Decker in 2010.

They are going to draft and develop. Signing free agents and drafting/developing prospects are not mutually exclusive.

Also, they are trying to develop Geno Smith after drafting him. Do you know how you help develop quarterbacks? You sign PROVEN talent to help them out. Why is this so hard to understand.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Intruder posted:

*signs great cover CB whose entire strength lies in ability to blanket receivers in man coverage*

*has him play zone*

Is that you Schiano? :v:

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Intruder posted:

*has him play zone*

He still couldn't cut in in San Francisco as a #3, so that's no longer a valid excuse.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

^^^ I find that a lot easier to chalk up to age than I do going from being great in Oakland one year to being bad in Philly the next

Waroduce posted:

Is that you Schiano? :v:

To be fair, Revis adjusted to that change a hell of a lot better than Nnamdi did

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Intruder posted:

*has him play zone*

At least they didn't sign a great man corner AND draft a great man corner prospect the same offseason then switch to zone coverage the next year. (:smith:)

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

I'll take Oher and Penn. If we throw enough older, giant linemen at Sparano we might have an NFL line by September.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

MourningView posted:

DeAndre Hopkins had a really promising rookie year, too. Didn't have as good of a year as Allen, obviously

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Professor Funk posted:

They are going to draft and develop. Signing free agents and drafting/developing prospects are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah it isn't like it's one or the other, they (should) still be drafting someone at wideout and it could be high--if Rex doesn't see another defensive lineman he absolutely has to have at least.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

Also, they are trying to develop Geno Smith after drafting him. Do you know how you help develop quarterbacks? You sign PROVEN talent to help them out. Why is this so hard to understand.

Because if they wanted Eric Decker, they should have drafted him in 2010 instead of trading for Santonio Holmes. 4 years from now, I'll be saying the same thing about they guys they pass up in this draft class just so they could have Eric Decker. Now, maybe you are all right and they plan on drafting a guy, I hope so. If not, they are just stupid.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Zypher posted:

DeAndre Hopkins had a really promising rookie year, too. Didn't have as good of a year as Allen, obviously

Yeah, Hopkins had a great year. 52 receptions for 802 yards with some pretty bad QB play

Only 2 TD though, so he's apparently the heir to Andre Johnson's throne

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Butthead posted:

Jesus loving Christ

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Toymachine posted:

I'll take Oher and Penn. If we throw enough older, giant linemen at Sparano we might have an NFL line by September.

Throw in Raji/Melton on a 1 year prove it deal and I might talk myself back off the ledge for this offseason.

Then they will spend 60 million on DRC and I will be back on the ledge.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Butthead posted:

Because if they wanted Eric Decker, they should have drafted him in 2010 instead of trading for Santonio Holmes.

This is not how drafting works. Eric Decker was not sitting in the draft room with a sign around his neck that said "I will be a very good #2 receiver in 2 years!" Is this actually how you think football works?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

This is not how drafting works. Eric Decker was not sitting in the draft room with a sign around his neck that said "I will be a very good #2 receiver in 2 years!" Is this actually how you think football works?

Brady wrote the lettering on his sign too small so most teams couldn't read it

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Throw in Raji/Melton on a 1 year prove it deal and I might talk myself back off the ledge for this offseason.

Seeing as how they're letting Vance Walker run around the country I'd be shocked if they didn't

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Alter Ego posted:

Either his agent is jerking the press around for the fun of it or Browner is attempting to play coy with a 4-game suspension hanging over his head.

Or Schefter is pissed he got scooped and pulled some strings to make Rap look bad.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

That's not how free agency works either. A proven player isn't really proven until he performs well in your system. The Broncos system is as far apart from the Jets system as possible, but the Jets are paying him like he's in the Broncos system.

He is still just as big of a risk as the rookies, only he costs more and he is older.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Kalli posted:

^^^ I think that was the mid-2000's Washington approach.

Ravens extend LB Daryl Smith for 4 years

This rules. Baltimore has now retained all it's priority free agents aside from Corey Graham.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Butthead stop being a butthead!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gotta love the Texans approach of being patient, waiting as all the other teams throw big money at elite players, then getting some nice bargains later on by signing guys below their market value who haven't yet been picked up because they're not good enough to make a real difference for a team in need of talent wooooooooooooo!

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Butthead posted:

That's not how free agency works either. A proven player isn't really proven until he performs well in your system. The Broncos system is as far apart from the Jets system as possible, but the Jets are paying him like he's in the Broncos system.

He is still just as big of a risk as the rookies, only he costs more and he is older.
I'd say he's a much lower risk than a drafted WR. If the Jets were able to develop one, this wouldn't even be a thing really.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Intruder posted:

Gotta love the Texans approach of being patient, waiting as all the other teams throw big money at elite players, then getting some nice bargains later on by signing guys below their market value who haven't yet been picked up because they're not good enough to make a real difference for a team in need of talent wooooooooooooo!

That's what the Raiders did last year and the year before. What then follows is not keeping any of those guys because they are either terrible or you no longer want to pay them money.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

Butthead stop being a butthead!

I think that's a mcmagic alt to take some heat off his primary account.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Mods, please change my username to Schrodinger's Decker

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Seriously I feel bad that jeffersonlives and professor funk get negated by some of the dumbest motherfuckers on this entire forum

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Butthead posted:

Jesus Christ

Cav
Jun 7, 2002

I'm a (3 star) Highway Star.

Butthead posted:

If the Jets were paying him like he was in the Broncos system where he posted 2 1000+ yard 10+ TD seasons in a row he'd be making more. I think they actually correctly guessed about how much worse he would be and paid him about that much worse They paid him #1 money, but his contract is in the range of Tate, Colston, and Johnson.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR

It's 19th in total value and the per year isn't bad either. He's a risk, but rookies are always a bigger risk because at least you have seen how a vet has performed in an NFL system against NFL competition.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Decker coming out was seen as an unrisky draft pick because he spent his seasons at Minnesota catching ducks from Adam Weber doing all the white man superlatives of running routes and being tough with good hands.

Then he went to the NFL and did exactly that for Tebow and Peyton. It's not a risky signing. I can see you arguing that it's an underwhelming signing, but it's not risky. He has a much better chance to improve that offense out of the gate than any of the rookie WRs save Lee/Watkins.

Speaking of, Lee is still a great fit to put alongside Decker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Doltos posted:

Decker coming out was seen as an unrisky draft pick because he spent his seasons at Minnesota catching ducks from Adam Weber doing all the white man superlatives of running routes and being tough with good hands.

Then he went to the NFL and did exactly that for Tebow and Peyton. It's not a risky signing. I can see you arguing that it's an underwhelming signing, but it's not risky. He has a much better chance to improve that offense out of the gate than any of the rookie WRs save Lee/Watkins.

Speaking of, Lee is still a great fit to put alongside Decker.

Ok, I agree with this. It is not so much risky as it is unwise for their long-term future. Signing a big name free agent gives a false sense of security. I could see them passing on a wide receiver in this draft because they feel confident with Decker. In my opinion, that would be a big mistake.

• Locked thread