Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

kenny powerzzz posted:

I wish I was closer. I have a 2004 naked with around 5500 miles I'd like to get rid of. No mods other than a sergent seat and no issues other that 2 small dings on the tank and a scratched grab rail. I'd let it go for around 3000$.

kenny powerzzz posted:

Northeastern Ohio.
nothing to see here, move along

Csixtyfour fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tanbo posted:

I'd like an SV as my next bike but I'd rather have faired, but don't want the S version.

Get an SA! Or just buy the lower fairing.

Fifty Three posted:

I'd love a faired SV (seems like that's all that's cheaply available around me) if the fairing didn't look so tacked-on. :( It's like it's mounted size inches too far forward or something, I don't feel like it matches the aesthetic of the rest of the bike.

Get an SA!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I don't know why "six" became "size" on the way from my brain to my keyboard. :haw:

I assume the SA denotes ABS? I have no need for such things and it only adds to the price. Not that I'm in a position to be buying bikes, anyway.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm a big fan of ABS. Though I believe in being able to turn it full-OFF.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
ABS is awesome & I hope they make it mandatory soon. :flame:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Damnit, all this SV chat is making me want one :(

It's kind of funny: I went from a pretty nice 07 SV650A to a beater 96 Ninja 500...and overall I think I like the Ninja more?

There's no reason for it. The SV's engine is more powerful and way more exciting than the dumpy P-twin, had a fantastic sounding Yoshi pipe on it, fuel injection, completely reliable, had a great set of tires on it (PR2's) and ABS, and it looked great.

Part of it may be the emotional connection involved in buying my 500 cheap, bringing it back from the dead, and knowing the thing backwards and forwards. Or that "character" thing where the gas smell, gaudy 90's stickers, scratches, weird sounds and occasional random no-start are sort of positive. Or bringing my SV with me across the country to a new, large city and riding it before I had a handle on things.

Yet just talking about what it's like to ride I feel a million times more confident and enjoy myself much more on the 500 than I ever did on the SV. I was constantly struggling to get the SV's ergos dialed in, and even though the 500's leaned a bit further forward it feels perfect for me and my hands don't fall asleep nearly as much. It's comfortable for longer (although that's because of the Corbin,) and even though the two bikes weigh the EXACT same amount it feels like the Ninja is significantly easier to toss around both on backroads and in the city.

I'm sure the reason I feel more comfortable on the 500 is that I'm a bad rider and the 500 is "safer." I probably could get another SV dialed in how I want it given enough time and money but I just don't miss it. I shouldn't have sold it, but I don't miss it now that it's gone. I miss my old VF500F more.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Spiffness posted:

I'm a big fan of ABS. Though I believe in being able to turn it full-OFF.

As someone who has been riding for 20+ years and never owned a bike with ABS up until I bought the C14 a couple years back, I'd never buy a bike without it and can't imagine any reason why I'd want to turn it off.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

slidebite posted:

As someone who has been riding for 20+ years and never owned a bike with ABS up until I bought the C14 a couple years back, I'd never buy a bike without it and can't imagine any reason why I'd want to turn it off.

I'm a big fan of sophisticated electronics, but a firm believer the operator should be able to turn them full off and wrestle the beast nude if that's what they want to do, so to speak.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

I'm a big fan of sophisticated electronics, but a firm believer the operator should be able to turn them full off and wrestle the beast nude if that's what they want to do, so to speak.

Riding the new 1190 Adventure made me realize that modern ABS is way more fun than wrestling the beast nude.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Spiffness posted:

Are you ok with break lights coming on every single time you're braking?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Don't be retarded now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nitrox posted:

I don't find break lights all that useful, honestly.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Nitrox posted:

break lights

:argh:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Brake light chat reminds me of this new rider I was following the other day down the backroads, could tell he was new because he didn't lean at all and slowed down way too much for the turns, but he didn't use the brakes at all, he just chopped the throttle. Almost rear ended him a couple times before I just backed way the hell off. Wanted to talk to him at to tell him he should at least touch his brake when engine braking so people know he's slowing down but I turned off before he did. Dude's probably going to get rear ended.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like how not being able to ride for poo poo automatically means the person is a new rider where you live. Such innocence :allears:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I bought that last SV I linked (the one with the scratched fairings) and after looking it over myself + my friend + a mechanic and finding there was pretty much nothing wrong that wasn't cosmetic, bought it for 2,400. Will probably have pics up in the bike thread soonish.

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!
Anyone have any experience with these cheap Chinese dual sports? Looking for a cheap little trail bike and something my friend can learn to ride on. This one is probably overpriced but he'd probably take less for it.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/4370335707.html

Not desperate for anything though so I could probably just hold off until I can find a decent tw200 or xt225.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's pretty much the worst idea. I've seen snapped headstock welds on them so...ride at your own risk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Spiffness posted:

You can pull a fuse on 99% of bikes to cut the ABS, but you never will. It's just such a god drat good thing to have it's almost like riding without a helmet.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
The less electronics, the less stuff to go foul on the bike. Thats why I stick with old early 90's stuff without computers built in. I think that the only "electronics" on my bike are the lights, battery, starter, alternator and the spark plugs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Electronic ignition and FI are both so much better than their mechanical counterparts that it completely puts the lie to that idea.

KTM and BMW are both loading up their ADV bikes with gizmos, and time will tell, but they clearly think it's maturely reliable.

I'm with slidebite, owning one bike with ABS and one without, I don't think I'll ever buy a streetbike without it again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Electronic ignition and FI are both so much better than their mechanical counterparts that it completely puts the lie to that idea.

Yup. If complexity was somehow proportionate to failure rate, we wouldn't be riding around on these confounded multi-valve, liquid cooled, multi-cylinder bikes made out of complex alloys. People seem to think that it's the case and I don't know where the idea originated; there is no logical correlation between complexity and mechanical breakdown/failure rate at all.

Cars today (and to a lesser extent bikes) are ludicrously complicated compared to their counterparts 30 years ago, but they certainly don't break down more often yet people still think that older stuff is more reliable and it makes no sense whatsoever. There is no connection. Reliability is a dictated by the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the original engineering, the quality of manufacture, the choice of materials, the intended use vs actual use, and the amount of abuse put on the thing by the owner. Complexity has nothing to do with it.

Also I've never ridden a bike with ABS but I can only think of one situation where I've ever needed ABS and crashed because I didn't have it. I'm not saying it's useless or anything, I just think the importance of it is probably overstated. If I had a choice of having it or not, I probably would have it. Do modern ABS-equipped bikes link the brakes so that applying the front lever makes the rear come on and vice versa? That's really the only off-putting aspect, for me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

KTM and BMW are both loading up their ADV bikes with gizmos, and time will tell, but they clearly think it's maturely reliable.
Anecdotally, we've seen a few blown CDIs on early 80s Japanese bikes. Not many but it happens. Unsure about the early model BMW CDIs, but I don't think I've ever even heard of a blown EFI computer on an old BMW yet. Which is good cause replacements are around $1000.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

ButtFaceMcCrackin posted:

Anyone have any experience with these cheap Chinese dual sports? Looking for a cheap little trail bike and something my friend can learn to ride on. This one is probably overpriced but he'd probably take less for it.

Not desperate for anything though so I could probably just hold off until I can find a decent tw200 or xt225.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Honestly, some Chinese stuff is pretty close to the thing they are trying to imitate. This is not one of those things. For $2400 look at something like a WR250F or CRF250X...anything but that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Anecdotally, we've seen a few blown CDIs on early 80s Japanese bikes. Not many but it happens. Unsure about the early model BMW CDIs, but I don't think I've ever even heard of a blown EFI computer on an old BMW yet. Which is good cause replacements are around $1000.

A CDI system lasting 30 years is crazy if you think of the fiddling and fragility of points ignition.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Are... there no front brakes on that thing? :psyboom:

Fake Edit: nevermind, but those rotors look more decorative than useful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

Tanbo posted:

Brake light chat reminds me of this new rider I was following the other day down the backroads, could tell he was new because he didn't lean at all and slowed down way too much for the turns, but he didn't use the brakes at all, he just chopped the throttle. Almost rear ended him a couple times before I just backed way the hell off. Wanted to talk to him at to tell him he should at least touch his brake when engine braking so people know he's slowing down but I turned off before he did. Dude's probably going to get rear ended.

for a while now I've been wanting to add a microcontroller and accelerometer to my brake lights, so that they come on whenever I'm decelerating at greater than $some_rate whether the pedal/lever are depressed or not. I haven't figured out how to discriminate against hills yet but that's a pretty minor thing really. I'm going to dig into the wiring harness sometime in the future to do another modification, so maybe this gets spliced in at the same time?

course I probably need a bike manufactured sometime after the invention of digital electronics to make it not hilariously anachronistic.

also if you were following the guy in front of you so close and paying so little attention to his actions that you almost rear ended the dude more than once, you are a bad rider.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 15, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're well on the road to having the most insanely over-engineered lovely-old-bike I've ever seen, it is wonderful and amazing.

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!

Z3n posted:

It's pretty much the worst idea. I've seen snapped headstock welds on them so...ride at your own risk.

Jeeze, yeah ok never mind then. Probably just pick up a used KLR since it's the best bike ever made right?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Jeeze, yeah ok never mind then. Probably just pick up a used KLR since it's the best bike ever made right?

Does it need to be road legal? If it's going to be all or mostly off-road, something a lot smaller than a KLR might be better.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah the best bike ever if you hate yourself.

Also holy poo poo that chinese bike is photoshopped onto that trail.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 15, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If this is self hate, then I don't want to self love.

e. Not photoshopped.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

If this is self hate, then I don't want to self love.

e. Not photoshopped.

This coming from a man whose KLR tried to eat his leg. I think we can safely diagnose Stockholm Syndrome here.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
'Kawasaki Leg Remover'

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Yup. If complexity was somehow proportionate to failure rate, we wouldn't be riding around on these confounded multi-valve, liquid cooled, multi-cylinder bikes made out of complex alloys. People seem to think that it's the case and I don't know where the idea originated; there is no logical correlation between complexity and mechanical breakdown/failure rate at all.

Absolutely. Check out the fuel system for a late 80's VW or something if you want to see a mechanically complex engine. Modern stuff is more complex as far as the engineering, electronics and materials go but the implementation is pretty simple.

quote:

Do modern ABS-equipped bikes link the brakes so that applying the front lever makes the rear come on and vice versa? That's really the only off-putting aspect, for me.

That's really manufacturer dependent. Honda's is linked in some fashion. Suzuki's is not. I know Kawi's isn't either. Not sure about BMW or KTM.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Check out the fuel system for a late 80's VW or something if you want to see a mechanically complex engine.

How about the vacuum system for an early '90s twin-turbo RX-7? Unusually, it was a sequential twin, with a small turbo for low lag providing boost at low RPMs while the exhaust pressure built up enough for the larger main turbo to spool. The precise handoff between these two, requiring that the various gas paths open and close at different times and to different extents according to engine RPM, engine load, throttle position, atmospheric pressure, etc. was handled entirely through pneumatics and solenoid valves:

I've heard it described as "Mazda's interpretation of the Tokyo subway in the medium of vacuum hose." In the shop manual, it is color-coded as above and printed on several sheets of clear acetate like one of those fancy anatomy books.

e: my favorite one is the clearly user-added "empty pipe" labeled in the center. I'd love to hear the story of why they made that particular addition

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 15, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
ABS brakes aren't necessarily linked, and vice versa. Early ABS implementations were often on big tourers (and BMWs) where the weight and size of first-gen systems were less of an issue; those bikes also benefited from brake linking and generally weren't the kind of ride you'd be pulling stoppies / backing it in on either. The newer, smaller, lighter ABS setups on sportybikes are generally not linked.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

How about the vacuum system for an early '90s twin-turbo RX-7?

noooooooo :gonk:

The modern version of that engine would have electronically actuated wastegates, a couple of sensors and a computer to do all that and it would run forever until the apex seals blew out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Snowdens Secret posted:

This coming from a man whose KLR tried to eat his leg. I think we can safely diagnose Stockholm Syndrome here.

Hey now, the leg and the bike were on speaking terms less than six months later.

In fact, the only problems that bike ever gave me were when the carb would gum up or otherwise disintegrate due to me not riding it enough.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

How easy is it to add a lower fairing to an SV that didn't originally have it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

How easy is it to add a lower fairing to an SV that didn't originally have it?

IIRC they were sold as accessories so they're designed to bolt on easily, hardest part is finding them (and in the right color, if you care.)

I don't remember if they interfere with frame sliders, if you have those.