Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gaz-L posted:

Dark Eyes is basically Big Finish doing just that while Nick Briggs puts on his best innocent face and shrugs.

I've been rather enjoying just how much Time War stuff they've managed to slip in there. I wonder if this is some kind of lead up to an expansion of BF's license. I'd kill for a couple War Doctor audios. Or at least an explicit mention of the Time War going on and 8 doing his best to stay out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
As someone who has yet to listen to any of the Dark Eyes stuff, what sort of nods have they been doing?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

As someone who has yet to listen to any of the Dark Eyes stuff, what sort of nods have they been doing?

Dark Eyes 2 in particular has an offhand mention of greater trouble than usual brewing between the Daleks and the Time Lords and then the Master specifically says he was brought back to life by the Time Lords for "something". In the revival show he has that whole thing of "I was brought back to fight in the time war but I got the heck out of there"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

It's less "nods" and more of a pervasive "War is inevitable, lines are being drawn, armies amassed, something big is gonna happen!" atmosphere throughout the later EDAs and Dark Eyes.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

I'd kill for a couple War Doctor audios.

I would LOVE this. John Hurt has what I imagine could be a great voice for audio, assuming he can adjust to the format. Another way to go about it would use him for narration, and the majority of the story be a flashback with a "younger" John Hurt substitute for the War Doctor. Would cut down on the paycheck too, which I'd imagine would be another road block to getting him on audio.

Of course, it's all New Who so it's a moot point now but then we could get an 8/War Doctor team up, which I'm sure would have a TON of friction (depending on how far along in the EDA timeline the doctor is from, he doesn't see himself participating as moral until right at the end after all).

jivjov posted:

Dark Eyes 2 in particular has an offhand mention of greater trouble than usual brewing between the Daleks and the Time Lords and then the Master specifically says he was brought back to life by the Time Lords for "something". In the revival show he has that whole thing of "I was brought back to fight in the time war but I got the heck out of there"

This is the most obvious one that springs to mind for me as well. It's basically stopping just short of name-dropping the Time War once it makes the 'Master brought back for his war-fighting ability' connection.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

McGann posted:

I would LOVE this. John Hurt has what I imagine could be a great voice for audio, assuming he can adjust to the format.

I'm sure that wouldn't be an issue. His entire role in Merlin was voice over. I've not really had the urge to listen to the audio stuff, but I'd make time for that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It wouldn't surprise me if hes done radio dramas on BBC radio in the past either. Actually he almost certainly has given that pretty much every British actor you can think of has done them at some point.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't care much for audio drama, but FYI, John Hurt was also Aragorn in the animated Lord of the Rings from 1978. It's allegedly fairly terrible, though.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't care much for audio drama, but FYI, John Hurt was also Aragorn in the animated Lord of the Rings from 1978. It's allegedly fairly terrible, though.

It... Could have been better. And of course, they never finished the trilogy. You do get Pat Troughton as Bilbo, though, iirc.

E: Apparently I don't recall correctly. Could have sworn he played him in some animated version.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 13, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfechu posted:

It... Could have been better. And of course, they never finished the trilogy.

There was a Rankin/Bass animated version of The Return of the King, which is most famous for including this song.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Some filming shots for Episode 5, but I'm pretty excited to see Twelve in a dark dress shirt!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

zamiel posted:

Some filming shots for Episode 5, but I'm pretty excited to see Twelve in a dark dress shirt!

Interesting, they're in Roald Dahl Plas, home of Torchwood. I wonder if we'll get a reference.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Last time we got someone from Life on Mars, it ended up being the Master. So this is clearly the Rani. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Interesting, they're in Roald Dahl Plas, home of Torchwood. I wonder if we'll get a reference.

"Hmm, this looks familiar... can't quite place it..."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The_Doctor posted:

Last time we got someone from Life on Mars, it ended up being the Master. So this is clearly the Rani. :colbert:

We get a women master first, or its Susan

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

That looks nothing like Keeley Hawes!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently she's playing a banker who dresses and presumably behaves similarly to Madame Kovarian and Miss Kizlet for reasons that have nothing to do with Moffat having something against powerful women.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Republican Vampire posted:

Apparently she's playing a banker who dresses and presumably behaves similarly to Madame Kovarian and Miss Kizlet for reasons that have nothing to do with Moffat having something against powerful women.

The real reason is actually that Moffat can only write a limited selection of character types.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

The real reason is actually that Moffat can only write a limited selection of character types.

Well obviously that's true, but I think that that's true of a lot of screenwriters. I think it's more interesting to talk about the types he goes back to. I Mean, I know he's said that the Scotsman interview was mischaracterizing something he said "in character" as his self-insert from Coupling, but the guy seems to have some kind of complex about being "the Junior" in relationships with women. One of the types he goes back to is a powerful woman, in business attire, who negates the agency of men. I think that says something about him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's definitely got issues, there's no doubt about that.

Maybe he's never been able to get over his divorce from his first wife. I've heard it was a bit acrimonious.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

He's definitely got issues, there's no doubt about that.

Maybe he's never been able to get over his divorce from his first wife. I've heard it was a bit acrimonious.

It didn't stop him cheating on his current one with his co-worker.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

It didn't stop him cheating on his current one with his co-worker.

How reputable is Private Eye on that sort of thing? As an American, we don't really have any sort of equivalent.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

How reputable is Private Eye on that sort of thing? As an American, we don't really have any sort of equivalent.

Very, and it's kind of an unkept secret at the BBC.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm surprised it's not talked about more then - is it due to libel laws or something?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm surprised it's not talked about more then - is it due to libel laws or something?

Yeah. Despite being pretty reputable when it comes to this kind of thing, Private Eye has a history of settling libel cases because of how the UK's libel laws work. That's part of they they've developed so many euphemisms to talk about things they can't quite prove. On top of that the other outlets that would talk about it, the tabloids, are more interested in glamourous types than in middle aged Scottish showrunners.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

Probably wouldn't stop Private Eye. It's not for nothing Ian Hislop has been described as one of, if not the most sued man in English legal history.

On top of that the other outlets that would talk about it, the tabloids, are more interested in glamourous types than in middle aged Scottish showrunners.

They always seemed interested enough in Gordon Brown. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 15, 2014

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Or he's got a thing for them :quagmire:

McGann posted:

I would LOVE this. John Hurt has what I imagine could be a great voice for audio, assuming he can adjust to the format. Another way to go about it would use him for narration, and the majority of the story be a flashback with a "younger" John Hurt substitute for the War Doctor. Would cut down on the paycheck too, which I'd imagine would be another road block to getting him on audio.

I'd almost say I'd be more excited for War Doctor audios then I would be for potential 10 or 11 audios. They would be instant buy for me.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

They always seemed interested enough in Gordon Brown. :v:

What, you don't think Brown is Glamourous and Sexy? Do you have eyes?

Astroman posted:

Or he's got a thing for them :quagmire:

That isn't really mutually exclusive, considering how much of his work is about ladies who give him boners and why they're evil. Like... all his autobiographical stuff is basically on that theme.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I liked Coupling. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What, you don't think Brown is Glamourous and Sexy? Do you have eyes?

Only when he smiles.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Well obviously that's true, but I think that that's true of a lot of screenwriters. I think it's more interesting to talk about the types he goes back to. I Mean, I know he's said that the Scotsman interview was mischaracterizing something he said "in character" as his self-insert from Coupling, but the guy seems to have some kind of complex about being "the Junior" in relationships with women. One of the types he goes back to is a powerful woman, in business attire, who negates the agency of men. I think that says something about him.

Not another powerful woman in a business suit? Ugh.

As for a younger John Hurt Doctor being portrayed during the Time War.. John Hurt has at least one son who has entered the acting world off the top of my head. Cheaper, and more early stories abound.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
No mention of Janet Fielding's tweet earlier of this image, with this caption: "Now what are we up to? Only Time will tell..."

Oh, please let Tegan make a return like Sarah Jane did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

James R posted:

No mention of Janet Fielding's tweet earlier of this image, with this caption: "Now what are we up to? Only Time will tell..."

I posted it in the main thread. It'd definitely be cool if Tegan came back. Hell, any of the old companions would be great. And isn't Moffat a big Five fan? So she'd make sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I posted it in the main thread. It'd definitely be cool if Tegan came back. Hell, any of the old companions would be great. And isn't Moffat a big Five fan? So she'd make sense.

Be a different spin on School Reunion.

"OI! Ya couldn't wait 5 bloody seconds before leavin', ya drongo? And what's with the younger model?!"

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

James R posted:

Inside sources are telling me it's teasing a sex-tape.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Jose Mengelez posted:

Inside sources are telling me it's teasing a sex-tape.

At last, we'll finally learn what a "jovanka" is.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

James R posted:

I think I'm supposed to recognise the building in the background, but it's currently eluding me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's the building from The Silence of the Library where River Song exists in VR land of course. River Song.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

There was some Series 8 filming today, and someone took a lot of pictures and put them all on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugim0e/sets/72157642563478994/

Highlights include:

Clara in a suit (very Season 11 Sarah Jane):

A new monster:

And someone in a Sanctuary Base-like Orange Space Suit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

That new monster looks awesome.

Also I'm fairly sure that's the only spacesuit costume the show has.

• Locked thread