Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm not sure how many of you are huge nerds like me, but I'm super into Tiny Death Star. They released a new patch today with 36 new levels. I was able to buy a few with coins but then I stumbled into the store screen (NOT the build new level screen) and found each level could be bought for 1 buck a piece. On the store screen they're 45 bucks per level. I assume they'll patch this out eventually but for the meantime why not exploit it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

porktree posted:

I hate editing my deck - I wish there was a clear deck button, and I wish the app was more touch sensitive. But it is a pretty fun game.
Agreed (Card City Nights could also do with a "clear deck"); I probably need to sit back down with Calculords, possibly after buying the IAP that gives you extra cards for winning games, to be any more into it than I am now.

Speaking of which, Quarriors is fun, but I am kinda glad I picked it up for free; the base game doesn't seem to have enough content to make playing against the AI too much fun, and the online multiplayer doesn't seem very good either. It's probably more of a multiple-person game, for sure.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

bobfather posted:

The classic case for this is the infamous 100 Rogues.

I want to go back in time to experience the development and release of this game again. It was a roller coaster ride rivaled only by bitcoin.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

io_burn posted:

I want to go back in time to experience the development and release of this game again. It was a roller coaster ride rivaled only by bitcoin.

Yeah, that must have been a great time to be running an iOS news site.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

tuyop posted:

Yeah, that must have been a great time to be running an iOS news site.

It was pretty clear early on that it was going to be a poo poo show, so I sort of just watched from the sidelines (and this thread, which was even better).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

io_burn posted:

It was pretty clear early on that it was going to be a poo poo show, so I sort of just watched from the sidelines (and this thread, which was even better).

Which was a shame because from an animation and presentation standpoint it was one of my favorites. I know some good rogue likes are out there but I personally cannot stand games where a static image kinda slides around without animation...(such as walking or attacking..)

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
In honor of their android release, the makers of Threes posted this interesting little infographic on the game's first 30 days on the app store

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They forgot to generate a statistic for how many hours have been spent staring at the app's absurdly long loading screen.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So in pocket mine, where do I get the cards for the factory ingredients?

I have tons of common cards in my general deck, but the number is zero. Redeeming a artefact set just gives me another card and doesn't change this number and there's no recipe for a common card. What gives?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You have to use the factory to make a blank card.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

You have to use the factory to make a blank card.

I don't have a blank card entry, what are the ingredients?

Edit: I have to erase a card first, so I have to five star my most worthless cards. http://support.roofdog.ca/customer/portal/articles/1468526-how-can-i-craft-blank-cards-in-the-factory-

tuyop fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 15, 2014

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Quickpull posted:

In honor of their android release, the makers of Threes posted this interesting little infographic on the game's first 30 days on the app store

This is neat but why would they use that hatched shading for the German flag necessitating a footnote explaining it when they could have just used the same yellow found elsewhere in the same infographic? OCD rant over, as you were.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

TACD posted:

This is neat but why would they use that hatched shading for the German flag necessitating a footnote explaining it when they could have just used the same yellow found elsewhere in the same infographic? OCD rant over, as you were.

Because they are color-highlighting China and not any other country. :eng101: The comments about that graphic were also about China. That and there are more countries with that kind of flag structure so making it monochrome needed a footnote.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 15, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
My one gripe with Hoplite, and I know I'm a month late here, is that there isn't a "currently being aimed at" tile indicator. I figure it out every turn anyway. I know how simple it is but it would still improve the speed of play to make it more action-y. Even make it an early Prayer, I don't care.

It is a great game though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Royal Scrub posted:

My one gripe with Hoplite, and I know I'm a month late here, is that there isn't a "currently being aimed at" tile indicator. I figure it out every turn anyway. I know how simple it is but it would still improve the speed of play to make it more action-y. Even make it an early Prayer, I don't care.

It is a great game though.

That's kind of up to you to pay attention to.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Well if you do pay attention to it then you're either clicking on each enemy every turn to get the same info or you're imagining it, so where's the difference?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The Royal Scrub posted:

Well if you do pay attention to it then you're either clicking on each enemy every turn to get the same info or you're imagining it, so where's the difference?

It's too bad the game doesn't highlight all the safe squares you can move to huh?

Seriously though, every monster has a consistent attack range - if you get familiar enough with them you don't need tap to check.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

It's too bad the game doesn't highlight all the safe squares you can move to huh?

Seriously though, every monster has a consistent attack range - if you get familiar enough with them you don't need tap to check.

The game's difficulty doesn't rely on accidentally getting shot. There would still be good moves and bad moves if it did highlight safe squares.

Even then that's not what I said. The game already gives you this information. It would just be nice if you could get it all at once.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Thirst Mutilator posted:

No it doesn't do that. the game uses HEXAGONS not SQUARES get with the program

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

bobfather posted:

The classic case for this is the infamous 100 Rogues. A game that went through incarnations that ranged from "completely broken" to "workable" to "fixed, but with crazy levels of IAP".

Whoa wait they fixed 100 Rogues? I need to check that again. Last version I checked was the dinoman one, which was super broken at the time. Both in game balance terms (bugs made him invincible) and the game crashing constantly for me.

Still looking forward to Auro. Though kind of funny that between it being announced and now, there's a growing selection of decent "super-efficient roguelikes" on the store out already. Could always use another one in that genre.

Fractal Wave
Feb 7, 2009

The Dave posted:

God bless you and your company. Sold.

Let me know what you think. I will also look into getting some promo codes for the pro version.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

tuyop posted:

I have to five star my most worthless cards.
More Treasure is the most value card. Combined with Artefacts and anything depth increasing (Drills, Arrow Explosives, Healing) it's just the most amazing run you can do.

Loads of the Commons are actually really really good at 5*. Crate Radar and Bullet Time I would always Hold at the start. All the "More" cards for Ore types can be amazing when combined with others (Diamond Galore plus More Diamonds plus Rigged Diamonds? The screen is now diamonds). I actually find I Hold a lot more Commons than Blue or Greens. I mean obviously Gold are the best, but stuff like Dark Pact is way worse than most Commons.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MissMarple posted:

More Treasure is the most value card. Combined with Artefacts and anything depth increasing (Drills, Arrow Explosives, Healing) it's just the most amazing run you can do.

Loads of the Commons are actually really really good at 5*. Crate Radar and Bullet Time I would always Hold at the start. All the "More" cards for Ore types can be amazing when combined with others (Diamond Galore plus More Diamonds plus Rigged Diamonds? The screen is now diamonds). I actually find I Hold a lot more Commons than Blue or Greens. I mean obviously Gold are the best, but stuff like Dark Pact is way worse than most Commons.

Are the tickets a one-time deal or do they unlock the new area forever?

Is it just me or are the acid caves super lovely?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

They forgot to generate a statistic for how many hours have been spent staring at the app's absurdly long loading screen.

Some discussion on Twitter that the delay could be GameCenter initialization time.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

tuyop posted:

Are the tickets a one-time deal or do they unlock the new area forever?

Is it just me or are the acid caves super lovely?
The tickets are a one time deal. Space is kinda worth it, because it is pretty much like starting from 250m so if you build an Emeralds deck it could be worthwhile. Both Space and the Gardens have some exclusive artefacts as well.

Acid Caves are terrible. You have to go super explosive to make progress (Bombs, Grenades, Arrows) and really it's just a way to get more exp/money out of a shorter run, so it's good if you don't have time to use all your stamina I guess?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Yeah, I only get like $50 from an Acid run, but get like 100-250 from the normal place. There is supposed to be more loot, but I don't see it.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

999's out for $4.99. Haven't played it but the guys in the 3ds thread seem to recommend it. From the previews it seems the difference between this and the 3ds version is the puzzles were removed and it's now pretty much a straight up visual novel.

Iphone

Ipad

Also it's not universal for some reason. :argh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LIMBO KING posted:

999's out for $4.99. Haven't played it but the guys in the 3ds thread seem to recommend it. From the previews it seems the difference between this and the 3ds version is the puzzles were removed and it's now pretty much a straight up visual novel.

Iphone

Ipad

I wouldn't take the 3DS thread's recommendation to mean that this version is the same though, taking out all the puzzles is a pretty big change and I'm sure there are others.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
First Strike is addictive, but the globe interface is annoying. A flat map option would be nice. And there is a special place in hell for people who make tutorial text "type" itself out slowly and unskippably.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

A lot of the more recent Kemco RPGs are on sale for $1.99 each in case anyone was looking to pick up one of those.
They're essentially just RPG Maker games, but they're not too bad if you're itching for some JPRG grinding on the go.

http://appshopper.com/search/?searchdev=314755636&sort=name&dir=asc

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 17, 2014

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Are any of them any good?

Also are there any good RPG to do lists? I saw epic win and habitrpg but I don't know if they're any good or if there are better ones.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

LIMBO KING posted:

Iphone

Ipad

They also remove a lot of the dialog from the puzzles as well.

My recommendation, if you're going to read this, is play through each section, and then after you pass a part that had a puzzle that was bypassed, read the corresponding 999 Let's Play over here to see what you missed.

http://lparchive.org/title/999

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Darklings is a nice, free little game. You draw monster symbols to kill adorable dark monsters in a forest. It's got a beautiful style and it's perfect for the ipad mini.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

They also remove a lot of the dialog from the puzzles as well.

My recommendation, if you're going to read this, is play through each section, and then after you pass a part that had a puzzle that was bypassed, read the corresponding 999 Let's Play over here to see what you missed.

http://lparchive.org/title/999

How would you know you passed a puzzle bit though? Also, would the puzzles really have been impossible to translate to touch screens?

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
I really have no idea why they decided to do this for 999. I mean, the iPhone/iPad is the perfect format, since the DS also had a touch interface.

If they were worried that the puzzles wouldn't appeal to the iOS audience, just provide the option to skip them. I read a few impressions on the TA forums, and apparently it's very obvious and awkward when you're skipping a puzzle sequence.

The puzzles were so good, too :(

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
They probably couldn't get it to work right. I mean, didn't they release a psp port of Zero Escapes where the 3ds version had a save corrupting bug at a certain area and their solution to it for the psp port was to just not let you save at that area.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I just spent my first 99 cents in the store and it was on the crap Bridge Constructor instead of something good like Game Dev Story :sigh:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kraps posted:

I just spent my first 99 cents in the store and it was on the crap Bridge Constructor instead of something good like Game Dev Story :sigh:

It begins :unsmigghh:

Soon you will be spending 20-40 a month.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Shwqa posted:

It begins :unsmigghh:

Soon you will be spending 20-40 a month.

Freaking Smash Hit has more engaging gameplay than Bridge Constructor.

And that's not happening :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

They probably couldn't get it to work right. I mean, didn't they release a psp port of Zero Escapes where the 3ds version had a save corrupting bug at a certain area and their solution to it for the psp port was to just not let you save at that area.

I was under the impression that the bug was exclusive to the DS version, and it worked fine on the PSP. It was advised to never save during puzzle sequences, but that was a player recommendation thing, not enforced by the game itself.

I just want a port of 999 with VLR's ability to skip around instead of fast-forwarding though previously-viewed content, is that so wrong?

• Locked thread