Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Stream keeps freezing every 20 seconds or so. Anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crazy Ted posted:

They flew through an Oblivion gate.

of all the theories i've heard, this is the most depressing.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ApexAftermath posted:

We've got a huge thunderstorm happening overhead at the moment. If this presser doesn't start soon I'm going to lose my pay TV signal before it happens. :(

Assholes are probably holding up the press conference for the bigger media organisations. It's getting close to "proper" news bulletin time now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Prime Minister is late because he's trying to think of the perfect "I just flew in here from Salengor, and boy, ___________" joke.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Lolie posted:

Malaysia can't even start a press conference on time.

No "crisis briefing" news conference has ever started on-time.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

ApexAftermath posted:

Try this one:
http://www.astroawani.com/videos/live

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Looking at the desk, it's been a week, has Malaysia not figured out pool microphones yet? It looks ridiculous.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd like to think the plane hit some kind of magical jet stream and flew right into space.

The good news is that the blue angels are back and should be on the case soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH7j185hotE

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Looking at the desk, it's been a week, has Malaysia not figured out pool microphones yet? It looks ridiculous.

What's a pool microphone?

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Not that I expect any earthshaking revelations from the press conference, but CNN apparently doesn't care about or isn't aware of it.

hofnar fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 15, 2014

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
Hasnt started yet.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

hofnar posted:

Not that I expect any earthshaking revelations from the press conference, but CNN apparently doesn't care about or isn't aware of the press conference.

They also haven't jumped on the "definitely for sure a hijacking, we're serious this time" bandwagon, unlike many other news outlets.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

quote:

Malaysia Airlines played down the significance of Mr Zaharie having a flight simulator built into his home using three large computer monitors and other accessories.

Ban all flight sims

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Ban all flight sims

Holy poo poo this could be an epic resurgence for Jack Thompson if this pilot "trained" for his hijacking on a flight sim.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Channel 9 is trying to fill and hoping to hell that the presser actually starts before their bulletin ends.

9 just reported that PM will be making a statement but not taking any questions from the media.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

"Conclusive" is a mighty strong word when you have no idea when you admit you have no idea where the plane is.

The US investigators seem to be pretty much convinced that it was not an accident. It really all kinda fits, weird things started happening right after they dropped off of civilian radar (the pilots/hijackers wouldn't have known about military radar)

As soon as they said good night to Malaysia and disappeared off civilian radar, the plane climbed to 45,000 feet, stayed there for a while, and descended to a normal altitude, then changed direction before going out of range of military radar. That is way above the altitude limit for this plane. One theory floating around is that if you could somehow depressurize the cabin and had your own oxygen, flying up to 45k is one way to kill all the passengers.

After that? Who knows. There are stories that the satellites may have traced the the last signal from the plane to a location near Australia.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
im p sure the vast majority of the hardcore flight sim community would laugh at him for "only" having three monitors. that poo poo aint nothing.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Holy poo poo this could be an epic resurgence for Jack Thompson if this pilot "trained" for his hijacking on a flight sim.

"Hmm yes I just reached 18000 hours flight experience, I'd better go home and sit down at my flight sim and train some more"

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

"Hmm yes I just reached 18000 hours flight experience, I'd better go home and sit down at my flight sim and train some more"

I see you've read Jack Thompson's book about logical reasoning.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Northjayhawk posted:

As soon as they said good night to Malaysia and disappeared off civilian radar, the plane climbed to 45,000 feet, stayed there for a while, and descended to a normal altitude, then changed direction before going out of range of military radar. That is way above the altitude limit for this plane. One theory floating around is that if you could somehow depressurize the cabin and had your own oxygen, flying up to 45k is one way to kill all the passengers.

That works just as well at 35,000 or even high 20's for that matter. My guess for whatever it's worth is the altitude deviations were a result of a struggle up front.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Prime Minister is late because he's trying to think of the perfect "I just flew in here from Salengor, and boy, ___________" joke.

The PM is there, you just can't see him behind that loving ridiculous mountain of microphones on the desk

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

hofnar posted:

That works just as well at 35,000 or even high 20's for that matter. My guess for whatever it's worth is the altitude deviations were a result of a struggle up front.

Another thing to keep in mind is after the Malaysian flight controllers no longer had them, they switched off their transponder, and 14 minutes later some other communication device was off. The transponder is easy to switch off, but apparently this other thing is not easy to switch off, the pilots may have needed to consult a manual, and there's no reason to do it other than not wanting to be found.

edit: if its the pilots and not an outside hijacker, then there's not going to be a struggle. they would lock the door.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Am I the only who noticed that our commander-in-chief obama didn't even whisper a word about the 4 americans who are missing, and yet found time to do a comedic interview with funnyordie.com? Just a thought. Something bigger is going on here for sure.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

hofnar posted:

I'd normally throw this theory right out the window with it being a :siren:POST 9/11 WORLD:siren: what with sealed cockpit doors and all, but that story about the co-pilot inviting total strangers up front because he thought they might bang him makes this depressingly plausible.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
This is going to take hours

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
I think you got enough pictures of him guys.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
sudden Ben Stiller

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Seems like the PM is just going to rehash what's being done in hopes of making himself look like they are actually being productive, not announcing anything new.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
FFS, this is worse than the 3 hour trial verdicts.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I love the massive flashbulb storm whenever he lifts his face

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

ShutteredIn posted:

This is going to take hours

Gonna laugh when it turns out that the government knew all about the terrorists all along!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I love the massive flashbulb storm whenever he lifts his face

Photographers desperately hoping it'll make him get to the point faster.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
No announcement lol

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Did he have to rehearse in order to speak this slowly?

crackton
May 9, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Did he have to rehearse in order to speak this slowly?

His notes were written for him phonetically

Haven
Dec 28, 2005

They might just as well've been closed.
Goddammit just say you have nothing new so I can go to sleep already.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Haven posted:

Goddammit just say you have nothing new so I can go to sleep already.

I know right? This is like having teeth pulled.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
He just said that the behaviour of the plane was consistent with deliberate actions and that they have now confirmed that it was definitely MH 370 which showed up on various radars.

Possible search areas based on last communication remain huge (from Thailand to Southern Indian Ocean). Ending South China Sea operations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

crackton posted:

His notes were written for him phonetically

"Em ach thiree zeer oh sehv en"

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
I bet there are alot of hi-5s at Boeing HQ right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Northjayhawk posted:

The US investigators seem to be pretty much convinced that it was not an accident. It really all kinda fits, weird things started happening right after they dropped off of civilian radar (the pilots/hijackers wouldn't have known about military radar)

After that? Who knows. There are stories that the satellites may have traced the the last signal from the plane to a location near Australia.

Why would you kill the passengers if you were hijacking the plane? For almost any conceivable purpose you're better off with the passengers as hostages.

• Locked thread