Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009

Swillkitsch posted:

I'm inordinately fond of Will's attorney. He's weirdly hilarious, as hilarious as anyone can be in an episode with all that gore.

*Opens mail, human ear drops out* "Eh, I think I opened your mail."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollemache
Oct 10, 2012
Could someone explain Hannibal's "Perhaps he was half right?" line to me? I feel incredibly dense for not getting it.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Tollemache posted:

Could someone explain Hannibal's "Perhaps he was half right?" line to me? I feel incredibly dense for not getting it.

Will suggested that it was a. someone else, and b. that someone else was Hannibal. Hannibal's suggesting Will may have been right about the first, but not the second, because that would be absurd.

Tollemache
Oct 10, 2012

vseslav.botkin posted:

Will suggested that it was a. someone else, and b. that someone else was Hannibal. Hannibal's suggesting Will may have been right about the first, but not the second, because that would be absurd.

Ah, that was what I was thinking. The beat of silence before the science team's shocked reaction just made me think it was something more groundbreaking, since it already seemed obvious that Will couldn't have obtained and mailed the ear from his high security institution cell.

Thanks!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I think the most disturbing thing in this episode was finding out Abigail's ear was cut off while she was still alive. Hannibal why :(

"What I found of Abigail was cut off while her heart was still beating."

This honestly surprised me, too. I thought Hannibal would have let her die first given his almost paternal relationship with her. But it seems, like all his other victims, he had to mutilate her first :(

Also Will's lawyer is the best new character I've seen in ages :allears:

I can't believe this is only episode 3!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ed Zeddmore posted:

He's not meant to fit any known psychological categories or to be particularly realistic as a serial killer. They gave Miriam Lass a book line about this, that they call him a psychopath or sociopath because they don't know what else to call him. It's just shorthand for crazy killer we don't understand. There's a good explanation of his feelings for Will in the AV Club walkthrough porkchop_express posted.

You know, I like that quote, and it did pop out to me a bit. Something I hadn't known (until I just looked it up) was that Bryan Fuller is gay, and I think that might perhaps make him better able to portray a strictly platonic friendship and genuine love between two men like the one in this series without feeling threatened or like he has to justify anything sexually one way or the other, maybe. Or I could be full of poo poo. But it seems to me that, as per this quote, he could have upped the level of homoeroticism between the two male leads if he wanted to, and consciously chose not to.

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
I loved Freddy Lounds' outfit. It was fabulous. I want that hat. Her wearing gloves while placing her hand on the bible was a nice touch. They've really toned down Hannibal's suits this season so seeing that red in the courtroom was amazing.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Sub Rosa posted:

I think the killer of the bailiff is Abel Gideon. I could see Hannibal messing up details intentionally, but I can't see him matching the line from Will about "he thought he was his friend" or whatever. Also nothing was taken from the body for Hannibal to nosh on.

Didn't they take the heart?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Will killed Gideon outside of Alana's home last season, didn't he?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gideon is still alive.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
But...Will shot him at point blank range and he fell over... How is he still alive? What am I forgetting?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rabbit Hill posted:

But...Will shot him at point blank range and he fell over... How is he still alive? What am I forgetting?

I have no idea. My source is Bryan Fuller.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Are you exiles from the True Detective thread or something?

DIDN'T YOU SEE THE LONG SCENE OF WILL AND HANNIBAL PUTTING ON TIES!!!??!!?!?!

Paradox Personified posted:

Didn't they take the heart?

Wasn't that the judge, not the bailiff?

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Unless it's a deliberate (and very well done) fake out, he's absolutely dead.

edit: I tend to avoid casting info so if Fuller said he'd be returning that's really weird. :psyduck: Unless it's in flashbacks?

BIG CITY LAWYER fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 15, 2014

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

I really liked the ambiguity of who the killer is in this episode. Obviously we know Hannibal is capable of it, but he did seem to be unsettled by it at points. If it is Hannibal, however, the Judge's death is basically him having a huge hissy fit, which is hilarious.

In fact I wonder if the two deaths this episode were done by different killers. We know that Hannibal is very good at being a copycat killer and certainly the Judge's death (with the weighing scales etc) seems very Hannibal-esque. He also (as far as I remember) didn't seem as unsettled by it, although his earlier reactions could have just been him wearing his person-suit. Everyone assumes they were done by the same person, but that might not be the case. I mean it probably is the same killer, but I enjoy speculating about these things.

Edit: \/\/\/\/ I meant to put a note that it was only speculation, but on second thought I think you're right so I removed the spoiler tags.

No More Toast fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 15, 2014

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

No More Toast posted:

Everyone assumes they were done by the same person, but that might not be the case.
No need to spoiler speculation. I do think Hannibal killed the judge but not the bailiff.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

It's stated in the episode after Will shoots Gideon that he survived but is in the ICU or maybe a coma I think, I can't remember his current circumstances but I do remember them mentioning he survived pretty vividly because I imagined he was going to be a pretty big thorn in Hannibal's side in the future (or maybe a super rad cell mate!).

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
How could Gideon have survived and not told anyone about how Hannibal sent him to kill Alana and manipulated Will?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I doubt there is another non-Hannibal killer, remember it has to be someone on the case since it incorporated details of Will's supposed crimes that weren't made public.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It was Beverly.

edit: no wait, it's Jimmy

edit: no wait, it's Brian

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

marktheando posted:

I doubt there is another non-Hannibal killer, remember it has to be someone on the case since it incorporated details of Will's supposed crimes that weren't made public.

Alana Bloom. I thought they had made her pretty ominous sounding at the end of the episode, and Will has seen a few times a counter-part to Antlers, a completely dark woman so maybe that's a manifestation of his subconscious knowledge about how she's dangerous too

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

I tried to make the explosion stare a bit longer to amp up the comedic effect.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at this show at that unreturned fistbump. Thanks for the gifs.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

I just noticed this tweet by Fuller.

Assuming he isn't just laughing at us because it's Hannibal, any ideas? The only thing I can pick up on is that the hoofbeats in the stag sequence are out of time with the movements of the actual stag, and maybe a bit too close together?

Bryan Fuller is probably a better person than I am, because if I was in his position I would hint at all sorts of crazy theories that aren't true.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

No More Toast posted:

In fact I wonder if the two deaths this episode were done by different killers. We know that Hannibal is very good at being a copycat killer and certainly the Judge's death (with the weighing scales etc) seems very Hannibal-esque. He also (as far as I remember) didn't seem as unsettled by it, although his earlier reactions could have just been him wearing his person-suit. Everyone assumes they were done by the same person, but that might not be the case. I mean it probably is the same killer, but I enjoy speculating about these things.

The judge was Hannibal, the bailiff was Alana.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

No More Toast posted:

Assuming he isn't just laughing at us because it's Hannibal, any ideas? The only thing I can pick up on is that the hoofbeats in the stag sequence are out of time with the movements of the actual stag, and maybe a bit too close together?

Bryan Fuller is probably a better person than I am, because if I was in his position I would hint at all sorts of crazy theories that aren't true.

Hoofbeats.... or high heels? Alana is the murderer, confirmed.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They were making a big deal about Alana's romantic, er sorry, professional curiosity about Will, and Hannibal outright states that the copycat murder was a love poem to Will.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

hope and vaseline posted:

They were making a big deal about Alana's romantic, er sorry, professional curiosity about Will, and Hannibal outright states that the copycat murder was a love poem to Will.

She triggered a black hallucination in Will, she doesn't have the enjoyment/artistry of a killer hence the soulless emulation. Alana. Killer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's DuMarier.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

Crawford is the copycat!

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

No More Toast posted:

It's the guy that was pushing the meal cart, or Bedelia duMaurier.
Comedically, I want to reach out and include Bloom for the romantic tie, and Lounds for the publicity tie. Or it's the best clusterfuck Hannibal ever made.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Just go for the Murder on the Orient express ending- everyone did it. Jack, Alana, Freddie, those three FBI people.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have a hard time believing that Alana is the killer. She would have to be "friends" with the baliff and pick up a full grown man by the chest, a rather difficult feat unless she's a secret powerlifter.

Xeno54
Apr 25, 2004
bread
Does anyone else suspect that the courtroom killer could be Will’s lawyer? A lot of pieces fit into place. Will’s lawyer would have details of the crimes that were not made public. He would also have easy access to the victims. It would certainly explain how the killer got into the judge’s chamber without any mention of a struggle. It’s also not hard to imagine that Will’s lawyer would have some type of relationship with the bailiff, hence the “friend” comment that Will made. Being so close to the crimes would also provide a good forensic countermeasure; the FBI expected to find evidence of the lawyer on the ear envelope. Another comment that stuck with me from the previous episode is that Will fired all of his previous lawyers, which made me a little bit curious as to why this one stuck. This all seems a little bit too convenient, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pretty big continuity error there, surprised Fuller didn't catch that he accidentally cast the same person in both roles, what a hack :rolleyes:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wasn't it Alana who got Will his lawyer? I remember someone saying they would get Will a lawyer that wasn't connected to the FBI last week, but I can't remember who it was.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I was thinking killing the victim with specifically a bullet implies someone who's either not comfortable in physically taking someone down, or someone still wanting to distance themselves from the actual murder. Certainly a single bullet through the heart seems almost merciful in a way, the crime is more about recreating the tableau than the taking of a life by insidious means.

I'm thinking this is the copycat's first and she's probably a patient or acquaintance Hannibal has manipulated into the act.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I don't think it's Will's lawyer because he was literally just introduced so it would be really lazy. A way more interesting and daring option would be making the killer an already established cast member.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Actually I really like the idea of it being the lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Why?

• Locked thread