Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crackton
May 9, 2009

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

cctv of the captain and first officer going through metal detectors and getting pat downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpL1i63lsas

this proves what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

cctv of the captain and first officer going through metal detectors and getting pat downs:

as advertised

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I haven't been following it, so did they find the plane yet

I'm guessing no

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe it's just the weekend but this story seems to have lost some steam today. If another large plane disappeared in the next day or two it'd really ratchet up the BREAKING NEWS captivation and breathe some new life into this intrigue.

They look suspicious. :ninja:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

SweetKarma posted:

Edward Snowden was on that plane and was subsequently shot out of the sky. RIP passengers.

This is currently the best explanation.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Prepare for a deep analysis of the video by several body language "experts".

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

how could anyone do this. hijacking a plane is such a mean thing to do.. how could you live with yourself..

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

At 0:11 you can see that the first officer shoplifts some women's panties.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

SteveVizsla posted:

Yep. They kept emphasizing the "all night" part, then slipped in the "ends at 11pm" part. CNN doesn't stay up late on saturday nights. They're also 100% convinced that a pilot is involved.

E: The word absconded is being heavily used

The stupid thing is CNN has a mostly independent network that runs 24/7 programming worldwide from their own studios in Atlanta, New York, London, Abu Dhabi and Hong Kong yet US CNN rarely, rarely cuts to it even in dead hours, only occasionally for major breaking international news until they can get some US anchor on the air that has no clue what is going on. That and it is only barely available in the US, pretty much only in major international business centers despite being almost ubiquitous worldwide.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 16, 2014

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

The stupid thing is CNN has a mostly independent network that runs 24/7 programming worldwide from their own studios in Atlanta, New York, London and Hong Kong yet US CNN rarely, rarely cuts to it even in dead hours, only occasionally for major breaking international news. That and it is only barely available in the US, pretty much only in major international business centers despite being almost ubiquitous worldwide.

so have they found it yet or what

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011
i want it to be aliens so the world can unite against a common enemy final...bwahaha who am i kidding we will be selling each other out for the sweet abduction tech in no time and destroy ourselves before they even fire teh first shot

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Has anyone been using the tomnod website? I really want to find this fucker. I just hate how I have no idea where I am, I wish they would give you like a map of your position.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

At this juncture I wonder how much would it cost to put 450 ejection seats with retractable covers into a commercial aircraft of this size. If a passenger saw something suspicious they could eject and get out of there ASAP. Give them a beacon and a flare gun too.

At least in first class.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Three Olives posted:

The stupid thing is CNN has a mostly independent network that runs 24/7 programming worldwide from their own studios in Atlanta, New York, London, Abu Dhabi and Hong Kong yet US CNN rarely, rarely cuts to it even in dead hours, only occasionally for major breaking international news until they can get some US anchor on the air that has no clue what is going on. That and it is only barely available in the US, pretty much only in major international business centers despite being almost ubiquitous worldwide.

its really loving outrageous that I can't get CNN International in the US. they cut to it at night when the Tsunami / Fukushima thing was happening and it was mind bending how much better it was than domestic CNN.

speaking of which, i wish someone would hijack wolf blitzer and crash him into the ocean as well :wow:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Some are daring to question the upstanding journalism of the Daily Mail, saying the pilot was not a political fanatic.

SweetKarma posted:

Has anyone been using the tomnod website? I really want to find this fucker. I just hate how I have no idea where I am, I wish they would give you like a map of your position.

The area that Tomnod looks in is like the first search area. They have stopped looking there since, I think.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Spaced God posted:

So what you're saying is we need to look for Godzilla?

Or we need Godzilla to fight the giant plane monster which is now the size of Thailand?

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Kombotron posted:

i want it to be aliens so the world can unite against a common enemy final...bwahaha who am i kidding we will wbe selling each other out for the sweet abduction tech in no time and destroy ourselves before they geven fire teh first shot

USA has signed a pact with alien forces!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

The area that Tomnod looks in is like the first search area. They have stopped looking there since, I think.

drat, that sucks. So much wasted time.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

OK, here's what happened. The pilot planned to take the flight back to Malaysia and use the passengers as hostages to get Anwar freed from prison. During the effort his co-pilot attacked him and in the unsung scuffle he killed the co-pilot. The pilot was now too fearful and ashamed to return to Malaysia, and set a course out to sea instead. After flying aimlessly for 7 hours and attempting to find a way out of his situation, they ran out of fuel and crashed.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

SweetKarma posted:

Do you have a source that says the plane didn't crash? All I've seen so far says that the prime minister says the actions of the plane were deliberate. That doesn't mean it was hijacked and it doesn't rule out pilot error and/or instrument malfunction resulting in a crash.

So far, all I've got is an aviation dude/former reporter on Twitter who says the DHS told him the plane flew 3,675 miles total, or 7.5 hours total. His DHS source says that "It is unlikely #MH370 headed south and its exact direction of travel remains unknown to the RMAF (Royal Malaysian Air Force). We're (DHS) looking elsewhere.". "Elsewhere" presumably means to the north.

This is the map from the Malaysian Prime Minister that helps put that last quote into perspective, taken from a recent article:

In favor of it landing versus crashing, he writes, "Since Monday DHS & NTSB have told me they have no evidence it crashed, but just the opposite."

The only people who were saying definitively that it has crashed are China's state news agency, Xinhua. That's it. Somehow nobody else has detected this "seafloor event" supposedly caused by a plane crashing into it.

I'm speculating on my own after reading various tweets and posts on Airliners.net in order to say that 7 hours' worth of an accident is highly unlikely in this scenario. This plane was in the air for a little more than a half hour when it disappeared, and it promptly went totally off-course without raising any alarms. Because of these things, I think that the plane's diversion looks to be a deliberate series of actions on the part of a pilot who understood what they would need to do in order to become invisible to air traffic control without looking erratic enough to attract attention from authorities (allowing hourly pings to satellites).

EDIT: Malaysia has asked India (possibly other countries as well, but this is coming from India) to stop looking for the plane as they (Malaysia) are currently "reassessing the situation," according to an Indian spokesperson. "(Malaysia) will figure whether they need to shift the area of search."

samizdat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 16, 2014

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

doomisland posted:

beep boop im a plane

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

Some are daring to question the upstanding journalism of the Daily Mail, saying the pilot was not a political fanatic.

#dailymail

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

samizdat posted:

So far, all I've got is an aviation dude/former reporter on Twitter who says the DHS told him the plane flew 3,675 miles total, or 7.5 hours total. His DHS source says that "It is unlikely #MH370 headed south and its exact direction of travel remains unknown to the RMAF (Royal Malaysian Air Force). We're (DHS) looking elsewhere.". "Elsewhere" presumably means to the north.

This is the map from the Malaysian Prime Minister that helps put that last quote into perspective, taken from a recent article:

In favor of it landing versus crashing, he writes, "Since Monday DHS & NTSB have told me they have no evidence it crashed, but just the opposite."

The only people who were saying definitively that it has crashed are China's state news agency, Xinhua. That's it. Somehow nobody else has detected this "seafloor event" supposedly caused by a plane crashing into it.

I'm speculating on my own after reading various tweets and posts on Airliners.net in order to say that 7 hours' worth of an accident is highly unlikely in this scenario. This plane was in the air for a little more than a half hour when it disappeared, and it promptly went totally off-course without raising any alarms. Because of these things, I think that the plane's diversion looks to be a deliberate series of actions on the part of a pilot who understood what they would need to do in order to become invisible to air traffic control without looking erratic enough to attract attention from authorities (allowing hourly pings to satellites).

how it could fly north and not get picked up by radar is bizaar unless it was fly low....... ...

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

how it could fly north and not get picked up by radar is bizaar unless it was fly low....... ...

You would be surprised at how lovely (or nonexistent) the radar is in that region.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There were probably 300 planes in the area at the time, and nobody tried looking for it until it was reported missing.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

actually one pilot was a mooselim and the other one was a dawkins fanboi and they got into an argument and beat each other to death with giant korans and god delusions

then the aussie beezy girls took over and tried to fly to perth but ran out of gas and then they stripped down for a final bra and panties pillow fight which is the best part of any conspiracy

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

samizdat posted:

He had me until he started banging on about Iran.

Oh, and he's clearly anything but an aviation expert. 3675 miles is 3193.5 nautical miles - no "aviation expert" would make an error that basic.

So it was clearly aliens.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

samizdat posted:

Because of these things, I think that the plane's diversion looks to be a deliberate series of actions on the part of a pilot who understood what they would need to do in order to become invisible to air traffic control without looking erratic enough to attract attention from authorities (allowing hourly pings to satellites).

One thing which has been said repeatedly on news reports is that until this happened commercial pilots weren't even aware that the pings from their engines could be picked up by satellites (which is what happened in this case - Malaysian Airlines wasn't signed up for the extended services where data is relayed back to Rolls Royce). So it's probably not a case of "allowing" the pings (which aren't a whole lot of use in real time anyway) - apparently they can occur whether the aircraft is flying or not and even after it has crashed.

Even the pilot who was flying about half an hour ahead of the Malaysian Airlines flight didn't think it was especially unusual when Vietnam couldn't make contact with it and he could hear only muffled sounds because apparently it's something which happens often enough to not raise suspicion on its own.

In hindsight, the "clues" may seem obvious but it sounds like very little happened which should have raised alarm in real time (and certainly nothing which indicated the plane had "disappeared" rather than simply crashed into the ocean). At the time this was occurring, no-one had access to all of the data which is now available.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Lolie posted:

One thing which has been said repeatedly on news reports is that until this happened commercial pilots weren't even aware that the pings from their engines could be picked up by satellites (which is what happened in this case - Malaysian Airlines wasn't signed up for the extended services where data is relayed back to Rolls Royce). So it's probably not a case of "allowing" the pings (which aren't a whole lot of use in real time anyway) - apparently they can occur whether the aircraft is flying or not and even after it has crashed.

Even the pilot who was flying about half an hour ahead of the Malaysian Airlines flight didn't think it was especially unusual when Vietnam couldn't make contact with it and he could hear only muffled sounds because apparently it's something which happens often enough to not raise suspicion on its own.

In hindsight, the "clues" may seem obvious but it sounds like very little happened which should have raised alarm in real time (and certainly nothing which indicated the plane had "disappeared" rather than simply crashed into the ocean). At the time this was occurring, no-one had access to all of the data which is now available.

Not so much unaware, just most guys don't get into the beeps and squeaks of where the pings go out. Most assume it's an ACARS function, which I'm sure these guys did too.

It is super difficult to make contact in some of these areas, in fact in eastern India through Myanmar you were lucky to make contact via radio at all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:siren: a guy on the plane had a beard :siren:

Prepare to have your butt looked up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lost-plane.html

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

AP posted:

There are three pieces of evidence that aviation safety experts say make it clear the missing Malaysia Airlines jet was taken over by someone who was knowledgeable about how the plane worked.

"experts"

AP posted:

Thus, the ACARS transmitter continued to send out blips that were recorded by the Inmarsat satellite once an hour for four to five hours after the transponder was turned off. The blips don't contain any messages or data, but the satellite can tell in a very broad way what region the blips are coming from and adjusts the angle of its antenna to be ready to receive message in case the ACARS sends them.

Apparently when someone is an "expert" that means that you don't need to bother fact checking anything they say. Yes, a major geostationary telecommunications satellite serving tens of thousands of clients at a time adjusts the angle of it's antenna to serve a single airplane because it receives a routine ping. And I have a feeling I am majorly low balling tens of thousands, it's probably serving a massive number of low bandwidth intermittent devices from everything between sea buoys and individual cargo containers to ships and airplanes.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 16, 2014

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

and what did these asians refer to this 9/11-style, asian operation?

oppa 9/11-style.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
BBC guy has made a few new tweets in the last half hour.

https://twitter.com/JonahFisher

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

"experts"

Apparently when someone is an "expert" that means that you don't need to bother fact checking anything they say. Yes, a major geostationary telecommunications satellite serving tens of thousands of clients at a time adjusts the angle of it's antenna to serve a single airplane because it receives a routine ping. And I have a feeling I am majorly low balling tens of thousands, it's probably serving a massive number of low bandwidth intermittent devices from everything between sea buoys and individual cargo containers to ships and airplanes.

Perhaps you could tell us all how the satellite works three olive? if you know more than this "expert"?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Woah woah woah!

MH370 went missing on 8th March. Osama Bin Laden was born on the 10th March.

MH370 is apparently in an unknown location possibly in the Indian Ocean.

Guess who else is apparently in an unknown location possibly in the Indian Ocean?

That's right.

That's right.

aliens

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Do we have an Illuminati theory yet?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

nyt takedown of malaysia

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/world/asia/series-of-errors-by-malaysia-mounts-complicating-the-task-of-finding-flight-370.html?hp&_r=1

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Powershift posted:

:siren: a guy on the plane had a beard :siren:

Prepare to have your butt looked up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lost-plane.html

crazyeyes.jpg

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Chinatown posted:

Do we have an Illuminati theory yet?

Current theories

• Terrorism
  • Aliens
  • Suicide
  • Shot down
  • Time portal
  • Aircraft never actually existed
  • Parallel universe
  • Lost and crashed
  • Fire
  • Hitler
  • Godzilla
  • Nuclear meltdown
  • Industrial sabotage
  • Lizard people
  • The Jews
  • Banks
  • Elvis Presley
  • Mechanical failure
  • Flew to the moon
  • Black holes
  • Aircraft became sentient
  • The call is coming from within the house
  • Equipment failure
  • Trapped in plane crash factory please send help
  • Landed at another airfield
  • Crashed into mountains
  • Bigfoot
  • Michael J Fox
  • Viral marketing
  • Flew right next to another plane so it looked like a single, twice as big plane to the radar. As long as they picked a really noisy plane the pilots would never notice at night.
  • Jizz

I don't think we can rule any of these out, except possibly "fire" and "equipment failure" because let's be honest they sound a bit far fetched.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

maybe they flew right next to another plane so it looked like a single, twice as big plane to the radar. as long as they picked a really noisy plane the pilots would never notice at night

• Locked thread