Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm very curious about how he ended up getting ex-communicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

katium posted:

That would be giving him what he wants, though. Better would be to just ignore him and WBC, since they thrive on the attention.

He won't know he's getting what he wanted.

He'll be dead

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rickycat posted:

I wonder how many people will picket his funeral with signs like "GOD HATES PHELPS" and "PHELPS DIES GOD LAUGHS"

Depends on whether I've got the day off.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

katium posted:

That would be giving him what he wants, though. Better would be to just ignore him and WBC, since they thrive on the attention.

Actually, the day he dies turning into an unofficial "coming out day" would be the best thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Morter posted:

He won't know he's getting what he wanted.

He'll be dead

Yeah, but it wouldn't be hurting him, just his family. And I would hope people are above that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, but it wouldn't be hurting him, just his family. And I would hope people are above that.
Considering his family excommunicated him from the church he founded, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the only people who show up to his funeral are the handful of disowned relatives who have escaped that horrible cult.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

So what you're telling me is that other members of the WBC are ensuring that he dies utterly alone, cast off by the group he founded and directed? Man, talk about loving poetic justice.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I don't care if that's ghoulish or whatever, I'm so loving happy that that piece of poo poo is going to die abandoned and miserable :allears:

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

discoukulele posted:

I'm very curious about how he ended up getting ex-communicated.

Hogged all the Tapatío hot sauce during dinner.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
According to fled family members Phelps ran his household through pure physical terror, giving out beatings with a mattock handle. No surprise they turned on him as soon as he couldn't dominate them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Homo-Fascist takeover has gone better than I ever dared to dream.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I like this guy's take on the situation, but I realize that:
1. As an ally, I've never experienced the hate Phelps espoused
2. There is absolutely no requirement that Phelps be treated with tenderness by his victims.
I think I just hope a sense of humanity can win over his obscene hatefulness. :shobon:
http://thegaychristian.com/fred-phelps-lets-picket-funeral-love/

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Nth Doctor posted:

I like this guy's take on the situation, but I realize that:
1. As an ally, I've never experienced the hate Phelps espoused
2. There is absolutely no requirement that Phelps be treated with tenderness by his victims.
I think I just hope a sense of humanity can win over his obscene hatefulness. :shobon:
http://thegaychristian.com/fred-phelps-lets-picket-funeral-love/

Like others have said, the WBC has thrived mostly off of the attention they generate. I agree that rather than gloating or staging some sort of revenge protest at his funeral, the best (and harshest) thing to do is simply ignore it. Demonstrate how truly insignificant and utterly unimportant this man really is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Doing some big thing (and don't get me wrong, someone will, there's going to be some dork who thinks he's sticking it to a dead dude so don't worry dudes someone will do something) is petty and stupid. He's gonna die a hateful, sad, old man who most of his family disavowed and told to gently caress off. He's a miserable piece of poo poo who will go mostly unmourned and in twenty years he'll be nothing but a 'ha ha what an idiot' blurb on Buzzfeed's 'only Millennial kids get this' article. We don't need to 'do' anything because the universe will handle it, he's a nobody who'll only be remembered as a joke, we won.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
My girlfriend visited the church back in June 2013, and he was at the very least present for the service. He spoke only briefly to announce some things, but was supposed to have written the sermon. According to her, he certainly did not have the stamina to speak much.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, there's no point in stooping to their level. Everyone already hates them, and they seem to get off on the attention and hatred. I'm just dismayed at the possibility that his "church" will survive him.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

He dies as he lived - a hate filled man that very few people cared about. The worst outcome ever for a troll like him is to die with literally no one caring.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Can't I at least go dance on his grave when no one's looking?

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

paragon1 posted:

Can't I at least go dance on his grave when no one's looking?

I'd be surprised if they bury him in a public plot, honestly. What graveyard would want the hassle of cleaning up the inevitable numerous vandalizations?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Yeah; they probably won't put him anywhere publicly accessible to prevent protests. He'll probably be put in the corner of their back garden with a grave that might be looked after for a bit; although with the way that they talked about funerals ("don't worship the dead") they might not have one, I don't know.

Its his kids that left the church long ago that I feel sorry for. Nate Phelps' post on Facebook made it sound like he really wanted to see his father one last time and wasn't being allowed to by the church. Like they weren't treated at all nicely by their rather; but i think that denying someone a chance to be with their very ill father before they die is really cruel, and its especially bad for him because he's seeing people want to dance on his grave; and while those feelings are understandable its probably not nice for them... Its not like he's someone like Thatcher who actually held real power and created toxic policies that still affect the world today; he's an old man who's life work is a church that is seen as a joke, and is dying out because its not getting any new blood in. Hopefully, it'll end sooner rather than later and all the kids get to experience life as it should be outside of that cult. I have contempt for Phelps Sr; but everyone younger (bar the Drains) has been brought up in that hatred and knows nothing about the real world; so I can't hate them for it. Especially the younger kids, all they know is picketing and being attacked by everyone, it wouldn't surprise me if the media attention has entrenched what they are told about the world further and made it harder for them to leave.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Pfirti86 posted:

Like others have said, the WBC has thrived mostly off of the attention they generate. I agree that rather than gloating or staging some sort of revenge protest at his funeral, the best (and harshest) thing to do is simply ignore it. Demonstrate how truly insignificant and utterly unimportant this man really is.

This really is the best way to handle them. Compared to people like Scott Lively, Tony Perkins, or Brian Brown, the Phelps cult is loving cartoonish and not worth your time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This may not be the best place to talk about it, but how is the American media representing the refusal of some mayors to take part in the St. Patrick day parades, cause of parade organizers refusal to let gay organisations march, esp. since many beer copanies including Guiness are coming out (heh) in favour of the gay organizations? IO have read about it in the Guardian (I know, sorry), but I was wondering what and how its being said in the U.S.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

His family isn't exactly any better, except for the one or two that have left the 'church'.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Samovar posted:

This may not be the best place to talk about it, but how is the American media representing the refusal of some mayors to take part in the St. Patrick day parades, cause of parade organizers refusal to let gay organisations march, esp. since many beer copanies including Guiness are coming out (heh) in favour of the gay organizations? IO have read about it in the Guardian (I know, sorry), but I was wondering what and how its being said in the U.S.

I've seen some coverage about Boston Beer Company and Heinekin pulling out of the Boston and New York City parades respectively, but it was mostly in reposted Facebook links with people agreeing harder with LGBT groups.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The reaction I've seen has been uniformly "and about time, too, what the gently caress is wrong with the parade people", but I'm not exactly seeking out right-wing news sources. I'm sure foxnews and drudge are flipping poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I personally didn't even know it was St Patricks Day but then again it's not really an Irish heavy area.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

computer parts posted:

I personally didn't even know it was St Patricks Day but then again it's not really an Irish heavy area.

You can have 0 Irish people and it is a big deal, mainly because people get poo poo faced.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samovar posted:

New York and Boston are getting mocked and Chicago has let Gay folks into its parade since the 90s because gently caress it if you're going to dye the river neon green might as well let everybody show up to watch a bad decision.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

New York and Boston are getting mocked and Chicago has let Gay folks into its parade since the 90s because gently caress it if you're going to dye the river neon green might as well let everybody show up to watch a bad decision.

Ugh. This just brought it home for me that in 2050 we're going to be reading news articles about little towns out in the middle of nowhere that have some thing that's still full-bore homophobia because nobody's ever bothered to tell the rear end in a top hat running things to knock it off.

Like country clubs are today, I guess. The worst part is that somewhere, somebody's banking on the gay thing passing them over so they can keep being bigots, and holding up country clubs as an example of how this strategy will work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

notthegoatseguy posted:

You can have 0 Irish people and it is a big deal, mainly because people get poo poo faced.

Well we're just coming off of Spring Break so people probably want a day or two of not getting shitfaced.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

cruft posted:

Ugh. This just brought it home for me that in 2050 we're going to be reading news articles about little towns out in the middle of nowhere that have some thing that's still full-bore homophobia because nobody's ever bothered to tell the rear end in a top hat running things to knock it off.

Like country clubs are today, I guess. The worst part is that somewhere, somebody's banking on the gay thing passing them over so they can keep being bigots, and holding up country clubs as an example of how this strategy will work.

Who the hell cares what bumpkins in the middle of nowhere do. That's my attitude.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
^^^Well, maybe the Gay people born there. I'd insert the link to that Rolling Stone article, but I guess everybody here has read it already.

In Boston, I've read (NYT) it's mostly the fault of one Wacko veteran, and by that I mean it's literally his nickname.

Barudak posted:

THE RIVER SHALL RUN GREEN WITH THE COLORANT OF OUR ENEMIES! :unsmigghh::respek::cthulhu::respek::black101:

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Sometimes it's good, a lot of times it's bad. Today in LGBT news!

:siren:Long post incoming!:siren:

Scott "Crimes Against Humanity" Lively:

Scott Lively marched in the Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade yesterday. He marched in the parade in solidarity of keeping the faggots down. :allears:

quote:

Lively, a Shelburne Falls native who owns the Holy Grounds coffee shop in Springfield, is running as a independent candidate for governor. He said he marched with his new running mate Shelly Saunders, of Springfield, and a small contingent of supporters. Many other politicians, including Mayor Martin J. Walsh and Congressman Stephen Lynch, skipped the parade after they could not come to an agreement with organizers to allow gays and lesbians to march in the parade. The maker of Sam Adams beer also withdrew his support. “The LGBT bullies, including Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, are giving the St. Paddy’s Day Parade organizers a hard time for keeping the parade a family-friendly event, but they are standing strong for family values and not bowing to intimidation,” Lively said in a press release. “The media is predictably crying ’discrimination,’ but thank God the United States Supreme Court has ruled that the parade organizers have the constitutional right to exclude anyone they please,” he said in writing.

He's currently running for Governor of Massachusetts(Nice website!). On that note, Lively went on Bryan Fischer's show to talk about his obviously doomed Governor campaign and to denounce pro-gay corporations pulling out of the St. Patrick's Day Parades. Lively would go on to say that Americans are at a breaking point because of the "homosexual agenda" and are "on the verge of a revolution.". Any day now! :freep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sybnPwLBUSg

St. Patrick's Day:

Just a lot of :qq:, for the most part:

Bill "The Spanish Inquisition was a good thing" Donohue:

quote:

Diageo, the parent company of Guinness, and Heineken, have pulled their sponsorship of New York's St. Patrick's Day parade; the Boston Beer Company, maker of Sam Adams, has withdrawn its sponsorship of Boston's St. Patrick's Day parade. None of these companies believe in diversity. No gay person has ever been barred from marching in any St. Patrick's Day parade, anymore than the parade bans pro-life Catholics or vegetarian Catholics; they simply cannot march under their own banner. The parade has one cause: honoring St. Patrick. Those who disagree do not have to march--that's what diversity is all about.

The parade is quintessentially Catholic, beginning with a Mass in St. Patrick's Cathedral. It is this Catholic element that angers those who are engaged in a bullying campaign against the St. Patrick's Day parades. The bullies also have nothing but contempt for the constitutional rights of Irish Catholics. In 1995, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a 9-0 decision that the First Amendment guarantees the right of private parade organizers to determine its own rules for marching. It is this liberty that the makers of Guinness, Heineken, and Sam Adams want to squash. I have had my last Guinness and Sam Adams. Heineken was always slop, so there is no sacrifice there. I urge Catholics, and all those who believe in tolerance, diversity, and the First Amendment, to join with me in boycotting these brews.

Rupert Murdoch:

Westboro Babtist Church:

"The show must go on!":

quote:

The church has no singular human leader – our head is the Lord Jesus Christ. The church currently has 8 male members who have been serving the church in the capacity of ‘elders’ for several years (this word is synonymous with ‘bishop,’ ‘pastor,’ and ‘overseer’) – all of whom minister to the members of the church, preach, and are involved in doctrine and teaching. These men were unanimously chosen by the members of the church to serve in this capacity, having evidenced the proper scriptural qualifications. The church of the Lord Jesus Christ does not rise or fall with any man – in fact, the Lord doesn’t need ANY of us. This is still a nation and world awash in sin. We will still warn you of this condition, out of our love and fear of the Lord, and out of our love for our neighbors. Here is the message of Westboro Baptist Church: God still hates fags, God still hates fag enablers and any nation that embraces that sin as an ‘innocent’ lifestyle can expect to incur the wrath of God. Repent or Perish.

Georgre Takei weighs in:

quote:

I take no solace or joy in this man's passing. We will not dance upon his grave, nor stand vigil at his funeral holding 'God Hates Freds' signs, tempting as it may be. He was a tormented soul, who tormented so many. Hate never wins out in the end. It instead goes always to its lonely, dusty end.

It's been pointed out that Fred Phelps was excommunicated from his own church, but here's an article anyway! Via the [urlhttp://cjonline.com/news/2014-03-17/elders-excommunicate-phelps-after-power-struggle-call-kindness-within-church]Topeka Capital-Journal[/url]:

quote:

Pastor Fred Waldron Phelps Sr. was excommunicated from the Westboro Baptist Church after advocating a kinder approach between church members. The excommunication occurred after the formation of a board of male elders in the church. The board had defeated Shirley Phelps-Roper, the church’s longtime spokeswoman, in a power struggle, and Fred Phelps Sr. called for kinder treatment of fellow church members. The board then ejected Fred Phelps Sr., who founded the church in the 1950s. The power struggle and excommunication was revealed by Nate Phelps, a son of Fred Phelps who broke away from the church 37 years ago, during an interview with a Topeka Capital-Journal reporter.

Miscellaneous News:

Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy: "I'm gonna shut the gently caress up about Same Sex Marriage now."

quote:

Every leader goes through different phases of maturity, growth and development and it helps by (recognizing) the mistakes that you make. And you learn from those mistakes. If not, you’re just a fool. I’m thankful that I lived through it and I learned a lot from it. Probably the elements that were stressful for me most is from our internal staff and from operators and how this may be affecting them. The bottom line is we have a responsibility here to keep the whole of the organization in mind and it has to take precedence over the personal expression and opinion on social issues.

Evangelical Michael Brown decided to jump on the "incite other countries to exterminate it's gay population" bandwagon. From Jeremy Hooper of GLAAD:

quote:

The sad trend of American anti-LGBT activists traveling across the globe in order to "warn" them from making the pro-LGBT "mistakes" of America continues. The latest example comes from Peru, where vehemently anti-LGBT activist Michael Brown recently spoke to local members of congress, as well as passed out copies of his propaganda book, A Queer Thing Happened to America. This new trend is chilling, frankly. From Jamaica to France to Russia, and many map stops in between, a who's who of American anti-LGBT activists, feeling defeated and increasingly marginalized here at home, are seizing the chance to stir the pot in any nation that might be willing to see them as soothsayers. It is, to the letter, the strategy we saw in Uganda a handful of years ago, when Scott Lively and other Americans started dropping into the nation and telling locals how downright awful we LGBT Americans are. We all know how that one played out.

:smithicide:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

staticman posted:

Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy: "I'm gonna shut the gently caress up about Same Sex Marriage now."

Notify me when he stops making big donations to anti-gay hate groups.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

staticman posted:

Scott "Crimes Against Humanity" Lively:

Jesus christ. I would hope that the fact that he is now affiliated with the St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston gives its organizers more bad publicity, and thus more pressure to change their policies, although that's probably not going to happen. :(

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

hangedman1984 posted:

Notify me when he stops making big donations to anti-gay hate groups.
EDIT: Re-read the article, missed that the direct donations have dried up mostly. Would still love to see Donald Cathy turn his back on the Marriage & Family Fund, a group he helped create, before I'm going to start caring about CFA's "maturity".

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 18, 2014

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Chick-Fil-A has straight-up lied to the gay and mainstream press about having a change of heart before. The capacity of Christians to find their real message in weird religious organs and coded language should not be underestimated.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
In (potentially) happier news, a ruling could come down today regarding the Michigan marriage ban court challenge.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Unfortunately, the article doesn't really contain much new information aside from what the judge said at the conclusion of the trial, indicating that he hoped a ruling would come down sometime this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Nth Doctor posted:

Unfortunately, the article doesn't really contain much new information aside from what the judge said at the conclusion of the trial, indicating that he hoped a ruling would come down sometime this week.

Ah. I pulled it from a post by MLive on Facebook saying there was a rumor the ruling would come down today. I guess the actual article is much more vague.

• Locked thread