Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Alright guys hope everyone's well, time for more idiocy possibly that you can all laugh at later and I'll secretly resent you all for but never tell you but it's okay cause I love you all.

When Miss Facepalm and I first moved in we got the internet speed upgraded from service plan A. 'Up to 5Mb/s' to service plan B. 'Up to 20Mb/s'.

Since 'upgrading' it it I've seen no improvement in the internet speed as the guy came and went whilst her parents were in and we were out so I have no idea if the guy actually did anything which I strongly doubt as the same router was still here after he left.

I did speed tests and every time it peaks between 3.5-5Mb/s on average so, I thought it could be because the router is so old, so we bought a new router and speeds are still the same, so I'm a bit annoyed that I've splashed out on a new router with no effect thus far.

Now, we have two routers in the house, one for internet services and one for TV service which is pointless as we don't really watch TV broadcasts and only gets used once every fortnight when her parents visit. (I don't understand why the TV couldn't be hooked up to the original router).

so, to break it down.

1. Supposedly got internet service (ISP is Guanchungchiangdie(?))upgraded to up to 20Mb/s but, speed tests show it averages the same speed before the upgrade.
2. New router is set up but despite being connected and that I can browse websites, the network settings in the router's show that there's no internet connection??? Not really an issue just weird and could relate to something?
3. There are two routers in the house one for TV and one for internet services and currently the TV one is more stable/quicker. (TV's ISP is different from internet)
4. Whilst I wasn't expecting 20Mb/s I was hoping for more than 5Mb/s as it shouldn't take 16 minutes to download a 3MB file.
5. I'm aware this is a loving connection cluster gently caress but hey! :china:!

I know this more of a tech question but, since it's a tech question in :china: I thought maybe someone would have experience with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Rationalizing is a fun thing for cool people to do.

Even if you saved 100% of your salary. Bringing back $15,000 after a year of work is not a lot of fun.

If you come to China to make money, then you're not ending up with that kind of salary. If you scrape together a couple of part time jobs, then you can easily make more than double that in a first tier city.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Alright guys hope everyone's well, time for more idiocy possibly that you can all laugh at later and I'll secretly resent you all for but never tell you but it's okay cause I love you all.

When Miss Facepalm and I first moved in we got the internet speed upgraded from service plan A. 'Up to 5Mb/s' to service plan B. 'Up to 20Mb/s'.

Since 'upgrading' it it I've seen no improvement in the internet speed as the guy came and went whilst her parents were in and we were out so I have no idea if the guy actually did anything which I strongly doubt as the same router was still here after he left.

I did speed tests and every time it peaks between 3.5-5Mb/s on average so, I thought it could be because the router is so old, so we bought a new router and speeds are still the same, so I'm a bit annoyed that I've splashed out on a new router with no effect thus far.

Now, we have two routers in the house, one for internet services and one for TV service which is pointless as we don't really watch TV broadcasts and only gets used once every fortnight when her parents visit. (I don't understand why the TV couldn't be hooked up to the original router).

so, to break it down.

1. Supposedly got internet service (ISP is Guanchungchiangdie(?))upgraded to up to 20Mb/s but, speed tests show it averages the same speed before the upgrade.
2. New router is set up but despite being connected and that I can browse websites, the network settings in the router's show that there's no internet connection??? Not really an issue just weird and could relate to something?
3. There are two routers in the house one for TV and one for internet services and currently the TV one is more stable/quicker. (TV's ISP is different from internet)
4. Whilst I wasn't expecting 20Mb/s I was hoping for more than 5Mb/s as it shouldn't take 16 minutes to download a 3MB file.
5. I'm aware this is a loving connection cluster gently caress but hey! :china:!

I know this more of a tech question but, since it's a tech question in :china: I thought maybe someone would have experience with this.

:rolleye:

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Facepalm Ranger posted:

so, to break it down.

Who the gently caress cares?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Those TV over IP things can apparently suck up all your bandwidth even when not in use. Much like your mom's posting? (Is this trolling enough?)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In China, talk poo poo and yell until you get your way.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

The answer is: return to "Service Plan A".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

I have been egging you about getting a HK job for ages :colbert: You can try our version of EPIK.

I will totally apply for that...after I get a teaching cert. You know if they're looking for special ed teachers? My interest was piqued by a couple of woefully underserved Chinese sperglords/ladies.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Arglebargle III posted:

Those TV over IP things can apparently suck up all your bandwidth even when not in use. Much like your mom's posting? (Is this trolling enough?)

I remember you saying last Sunday, like even when all tv related things are turned off?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

I will totally apply for that...after I get a teaching cert. You know if they're looking for special ed teachers? My interest was piqued by a couple of woefully underserved Chinese sperglords/ladies.

Special ed is big money and hard to get.

Even if you don't have a teaching cert it won't hurt if you have experience because the hiring board can still fast track you on a lower but still decent grade.

If you do have a teaching cert then go apply for international schools and make even more money.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I assume he means the CELTA or TEFL or whatever they accept thing. If you had real full certification you'd be a fool to go for anything other than international schools.

I wonder if they'll consider applications without it. I don't have one but I have multiple years' experience.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That was MK saying that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It kind of goes like this for HK:

1) Don't be a fuckwit or arsehole
2) Be allowed to work legally
3) Don't mind teaching kids
3b) Don't have any sexual convictions in HK
4) Have a Trinity Cert. TESOL or Cambridge CELTA
5) Be a bit willing to commute on laughably cheap public transport

and then I'll get you a job straight off the boat.

edit:
Number 2 is the most important thing. Small and private language schools generally don't tend to sponsor a visa here.

The other option is to be Actually A Teacher meaning you have a PGCE/PGDE/whatever the hell the US has, and then apply to the ESF, or even some other places I could point you towards. They would be willing to sponsor a visa, but you must be properly qualified and not just a teacher for the sake of travel.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 16, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Bloodnose posted:

Rationalizing is a fun thing for cool people to do.

Even if you saved 100% of your salary. Bringing back $15,000 after a year of work is not a lot of fun.

If you save 15k in a year you're doing better than 75% (actually probably more like 90% but I'm too lazy to find the right statistics) of Americans. How far removed are you from how people actually live that you think coming away with 15k after expenses is low?

Arakan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 16, 2014

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Arakan posted:

If you save 15k in a year you're doing better than 75% (actually probably more like 90% but I'm too lazy to find the right statistics) of Americans. How far removed are you from how people actually live that you think coming away with 15k after expenses is low?

Yeah, I was a little unclear on this as well...

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

GuestBob posted:

Yes. There are two major ones in Henan - SIAS and a branch of a larger group of eleven which is, in this case, named Chenggong University of Finance & Economics.

What would you like to know?
What's their general reputation like? Are they all rather expensive? The one I visited in Nanchong was pricey and (according to the students) not very good at educating.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

Arakan posted:

Yeah, and imagine if you make even more than this by doing side-work or having multiple incomes? You CAN come out of China with a nice nest egg AND with a lot accomplished, even if you do a lower paying but lower hour affair like Guestbob's school is offering.

Also to elaborate on Guestbob's "type of program" post--never forget the unloved but legitimate international studies department. :(

Where students are accepted to university with the understanding that they'll be doing a 3-2 or a 1-3-1 program, provided they stay within good standing with their major. In Beijing Blinky and I mostly dealt with the chemistry and English kids, which is a very, very weird class mix. Other foreigners handled other majors--the biology guy, for example, was a weirdo.

When we left the university proper we started with a 3-2 program with kids from a variety of majors, but the class sizes are smaller and the kids seem happier. Kids have a list of about 40 sister schools they can choose to attend; they still have to apply, however, and I have seen kids get turned down. They can also choose to do a full program overseas and only get a US diploma.

I've seen our department get reorganized, shifted, and moved at least four times already; Chinese schools want to make money, and they want to guarantee to parents that their special snowflake can totally go to MIT. A legitimate department can't promise that. Our US school is separating from our program at the end of this academic year, and it would not surprise me if the University chose to go private with it's international program afterwards.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Arakan posted:

Apparently too far removed, sorry about that.

The important thing is that people who take poverty-level wages are actually able to get good work on the side. I saw a goon take a gig tutoring like four kids that paid 150 yuan an hour and it made my heart hurt. That kind of devaluation of your own labor hurts the whole market and you guys are all worth more than that.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

The important thing is that people who take poverty-level wages are actually able to get good work on the side. I saw a goon take a gig tutoring like four kids that paid 150 yuan an hour and it made my heart hurt. That kind of devaluation of your own labor hurts the whole market and you guys are all worth more than that.

this I agree with. I get 900rmb for "teaching" two six year olds (three times a week at an hour each time). This "teaching" is actually just babysitting, which means I play a lot of card games/watch Ben10/play with playdoh then go home. In addition to the money I also have a portfolio of drawings--Fearcotton as an automan! As a character from Frozen! As a weird blue swirl thing! Sometimes when I get there though it's nap time, so I get paid to sit and read. Other times the mom asks me to go to dinner/the movies/the arcade with them, and I get paid for the extra time.

Goons, charge more! You can!

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

FearCotton posted:

this I agree with. I get 900rmb for "teaching" two six year olds (three times a week at an hour each time). This "teaching" is actually just babysitting, which means I play a lot of card games/watch Ben10/play with playdoh then go home. In addition to the money I also have a portfolio of drawings--Fearcotton as an automan! As a character from Frozen! As a weird blue swirl thing! Sometimes when I get there though it's nap time, so I get paid to sit and read. Other times the mom asks me to go to dinner/the movies/the arcade with them, and I get paid for the extra time.

Goons, charge more! You can!

Yeah, but don't undervalue what you do with those kids. They've made a lot of progress since you started basically playing with them -- and they enjoy the hell out of it. I think it's great that the mothers really want their kids to enjoy learning another language instead of having it forced upon them.

That said, I also think it's great that they pay you $50 an hour to doodle and frig around with Play-Doh.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

What's their general reputation like? Are they all rather expensive? The one I visited in Nanchong was pricey and (according to the students) not very good at educating.

Their reputation is growing actually. Established private universities are now coming to be seen as being on a par with runt-departments of third tier places. You can tell that they are becoming more important because the CCP has, since 2008, increased the number and significance of party representation at these institutions.

Newly set-up private concerns tend to be terrible - because this is China and people will "open" a business the moment the concrete foundation has dried.

For established places, competition with the various "international" things operating in the state sector has spurred these places on to perform better though and the teaching they do is often okay. This is mostly dependent on how smart they are at hiring people and how many greybeards they are able to tempt from public institutions. There isn't much tertiary teacher training in China and historically, instruction on teaching practices and suchlike has been passed down through the departmental danwei in public institutions. There can be problems if you don't have any "ethos" to fall back on.

They are expensive - with most places charging between 15k and 20k per year. This is actually less than a public institution can make from an "international" full cost because although their fees are lower, they will often receive MoE disbursement as well.

Private institutions do no research.

SIAS is mental, they have almost two hundred foreign staff working on a range of things from 3-year sub bachelor programs to fully articulated x+y programs with Fort Hayes. They are totally insulated from the whole country and live in a massive foreigner bubble. Which is also probably why they are happy to get paid Y3.5k/month with no side work.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am pretty familiar with SIAS and I would steer well clear for a variety of reasons, some mentioned.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
SIAS isn't like a real school though, it's a bunch of religious nutjobs living in their commune near the airport preachin about Jesus

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What does it stand for?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Sogol posted:

I am pretty familiar with SIAS and I would steer well clear for a variety of reasons, some mentioned.

Dish girl.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

GuestBob posted:

Dish girl.

Seconded. Is it mostly crazy!Mormons*?

*not all Mormons are crazy, of course. But I've heard of people being sent on mission trips to "schools" in the mainland.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Real LDS missionaries can't work, but I've heard Chinese-speaking ex-missionaries (Taiwan mission) might get recruited to a Mormon-heavy company with a churchy social atmosphere.
LDS missionaries in Japan teach some English lessons for FREE so people aren't scared of them, and also because they have too much free time because Japan is super unlikely to convert to a religion that bans tea and spending money on Sundays.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

GuestBob posted:

Dish girl.

What is this?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Missionaries are weird.
Dang, I see. Do most of them aim for students who can pay but also did poorly on their entrance exams?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

sexy stuff posted:

Do you love to connect with people, are you confident in speaking English, do you have a gift of showing compassion and reaching out to people in China with the love of Christ? Join this mission trip together with other people from Crossroads in an unique experience to help teach the English language to Chinese students from the poorer areas from China.

Last year we went with a team of 24 people from Crossroads to China. It was a great experience to teach the Chinese people, connect with them and to show the gospel to them.

"I saw the faces of china in my 150 teacher/students. They were from all over China and 19 of the 26 ethnic groups were represented. Those faces needed an encounter with God and my mission was to shine the light graciously given to me. They appreciated our efforts of coming there as volunteers and being real inspirations to them."

I've never met a Mormon missionary in China, but the Christian ones are pretty memorable.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My university has some sort of partnership with Bring em Young so we always have 4 mormon teachers, they seem nice enough.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've met numerous Chinese Christians who try to bully me in to going to bible studies with them. Mormons are p nice though, my cohort had a couple and they never really pushed anything or insulted anyone so I like Mormons a lot.

One Chinese guy told me that my parents raised me wrong because I stopped going to church/etc and that made me angry.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well you know what they say: there's no rear end in a top hat like a convert.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Well you know what they say: there's no rear end in a top hat like a convert.

So sad but true. My sister was a Protestant zealot but thankfully she's a lot more mellow now.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

Dang, I see. Do most of them aim for students who can pay but also did poorly on their entrance exams?

Yes. There's not really a market for anything else - you might get a few who have come from three year vocationals and want to "top-up" into a degree, but local xueyuans tend to have a monopoly on that kind of provision.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 17, 2014

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mormons don't believe in hell so they're pretty chill :angel:

Ex-missionaries have already been sent to strange places they didn't choose doing an unpopular job so teaching English in Henan is easy.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Christians I've met here are way more annoying and evangelical than anyone I met in the southern US.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

:ghost: Spooky, the Provost of SIAS has just replied to comment I made on LinkedIn.:ghost:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Does anyone have any good Chongqing hostel recommendations? I just need to spend one night as I transfer trainz on my 2 week jungle/plateau excursion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
There is religiosity, but not Mormon specific as far as I know. The place struck me as crazy not because of that, but because of the westernization that has been mentioned. They have spent a lot of money on what is essentially an Epcot center type of street scene, a kind of massive water cascade and when last I heard a golf course. The rhetoric is about being a private school in China and their might be something to that, but what's the creepiest to me is the money.

They are US backed by private investors. I have met the backers and found them pretty wack. Zero understanding of China. A complete neoliberal sort of agenda, at best. As I recall one of them told me something to the effect that if all the resources in the world were evenly distributed that the same few people would have control of them again within a few months. I could not quite determine if he believed this was god or Darwin at work, but he believed it. I think the investors basically believe they are acting charitably to bring some form of enlightenment to the benighted.

Most of this is the vision of the president of the university who is on the one hand some sort of genius to be getting it done, but also some kind of madman to be getting it done. He himself lives a very luxurious and strange sort of existence. It's a little kingdom and he is the king, I think. There are some good seeming things they are wanting to accomplish. They hosted some sort of international water conference. The basis for these things, whether ostensibly good or not, is incredibly suspect. As far as I could tell many of the western teachers were evangelistic, though it is not exactly explicit. I think there living conditions and such were probably alright, but again there was little or no cultural savvy as far as I could tell. Bubbles are kind of passive and this was not passive.

At one point some of my friends were trying to create a permaculture center there and I went at their invitation to give several speeches along with some Yellow Hat Tibetan monks (who I know and like very much). The entire experience, the speeches, meeting with the board, meeting investors was entirely surreal. I later read some translations into English of some of the talks I gave and they had almost not resemblance to what I was actually saying. They were full of a very strange mix of nationalistic and free market sorts of rhetoric. It was strange since mostly what I was talking about were things like the anthropic effect of the industrial era and climate change, etc.

I got such a bad feeling from what had been wrapped in good looking paper that I have never gone back and encouraged my friends to invest their attention elsewhere, which they seem to have done.

The Yellow Hat Buddhists on the other hand have an amazing school in Tibet.