Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

porktree posted:

Just don't play. Seriously - the game is an online game that greatly benefits from communication between teammates to win the matches and you want to be another one of the fuckwits that turns off their mic and doesn't interact with the other players. Go play a single player game where you don't have to talk or listen to anyone.

"you're playing it wrong :cry:"

Alternatively, play the game however you want, it's your 60bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
He's kind of right, though (albeit a little blunt.) It's essentially a team vs team game for the most part, right? As viable as it might be to go solo, running a co-ordinated, communicating team against a bunch of solo players will almost always get an easier win, plus the victory will be made that bit more satisfying because you'll have a bunch of new temporary buddies to celebrate with and perhaps play with again.
If you don't want to play with other people, then perhaps a TDM-centric online-only game is not for you.

VVV Obviously.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 15, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

A shrubbery! posted:

He's kind of right, though (albeit a little blunt.) It's essentially a team vs team game for the most part, right? As viable as it might be to go solo, running a co-ordinated, communicating team against a bunch of solo players will almost always get an easier win, plus the victory will be made that bit more satisfying because you'll have a bunch of new temporary buddies to celebrate with and perhaps play with again.
If you don't want to play with other people, then perhaps a TDM-centric online-only game is not for you.

but again, you can also just play video games you find fun and not take them too seriously because they are video games

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Saladman posted:

So it's 30 minutes of playing on ANY Project Spark using assets you don't have? Like it doesn't reset from going from Guy 1's to Gal 2's creations? Yeah that's pretty terrible then.

That's exactly it. You have 30 minutes each day of free "Spark Time" that can be used to play maps/games that use DLC you don't own.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Got steamrolled pretty hard by a bunch of second gens with mics last night.

I was playing with my IRL friend who "couldn't" use his mic because he didn't want to "wake" the "baby". Because kids should be trained to leap up at the slightest noise from across the house, of course. Those make the most mellow and reasonable fun-loving adults!

Luckily I do not have a hu-mon "ego" which would cause me to "care" about things of no real monetary value.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Schubalts posted:

That's exactly it. You have 30 minutes each day of free "Spark Time" that can be used to play maps/games that use DLC you don't own.

Also, what if someone actually makes something that is worth playing for more than 30 minutes? It's bound to happen, given enough time and good enough tools.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
EDIT: nevermind.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wheany posted:

Also, what if someone actually makes something that is worth playing for more than 30 minutes? It's bound to happen, given enough time and good enough tools.

Then you buy the IAP.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

So regardless of preferring Xbox over PS2 and Xbox 360 over PS3... this generation I decided to exclusively go PS4. However as luck would have it I won an Xbox One in a competition a couple days ago. The system is okay and I plan on trying to tackle more of the "hands-free" multimedia features, but can someone answer this question for me:

Did Microsoft purposefully make it as hard as possible to manage multiple players/accounts/controllers or am I just not "getting it"?

The 360, PS3, and PS4 all make it extremely easy to know who has which controller. The One does no such thing. My main account launched Forza last night and played through all of the ridiculous intro/welcoming sequences before I could finally get to the menu. Next morning I try to get my son playing with me, log him in as a guest (why doesn't it prompt you when the controller turns on like before????), then launch the game back on MY controller. It acts like he launched it and starts trying to force him through the intro!

Then I spent I don't know how long trying to create a family member account which is every bit as bad as a PSN Sub-Account. Had to create an email, put in tons of his information, pay $.50 to verify I want him to play despite not being 13, then it kept thinking that my face was his (we don't look THAT much alike and it should know my face already right?). I had to hide behind a pillow and he flailed like a madman before he could choose "This is me".

Why the gently caress can I not just create local only accounts for my friends/family? This has got to be the worse user experience I've ever dealt with and I'm shocked it's on Xbox as the Xbox 360 did a great job of just making sense to me.

/rant

P.S. Titanfall is neat.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Fallom posted:

Then you buy the IAP.

I'm not going to pay a buck for a pile of virtual wood. Or $49.99 for 5000 spark tokens (best value).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wheany posted:

I'm not going to pay a buck for a pile of virtual wood. Or $49.99 for 5000 spark tokens (best value).

I am sorry, Project Spark isn't for you. The vast, vast majority of people want to pay $1 for a pile of wood, who are you to argue with the fine decisions developers make for this wonderful new gaming market?

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012
Edit: Nope. Wrong thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

theBeaz posted:

So regardless of preferring Xbox over PS2 and Xbox 360 over PS3... this generation I decided to exclusively go PS4. However as luck would have it I won an Xbox One in a competition a couple days ago. The system is okay and I plan on trying to tackle more of the "hands-free" multimedia features, but can someone answer this question for me:

Did Microsoft purposefully make it as hard as possible to manage multiple players/accounts/controllers or am I just not "getting it"?

The 360, PS3, and PS4 all make it extremely easy to know who has which controller. The One does no such thing. My main account launched Forza last night and played through all of the ridiculous intro/welcoming sequences before I could finally get to the menu. Next morning I try to get my son playing with me, log him in as a guest (why doesn't it prompt you when the controller turns on like before????), then launch the game back on MY controller. It acts like he launched it and starts trying to force him through the intro!

Then I spent I don't know how long trying to create a family member account which is every bit as bad as a PSN Sub-Account. Had to create an email, put in tons of his information, pay $.50 to verify I want him to play despite not being 13, then it kept thinking that my face was his (we don't look THAT much alike and it should know my face already right?). I had to hide behind a pillow and he flailed like a madman before he could choose "This is me".

Why the gently caress can I not just create local only accounts for my friends/family? This has got to be the worse user experience I've ever dealt with and I'm shocked it's on Xbox as the Xbox 360 did a great job of just making sense to me.

/rant

P.S. Titanfall is neat.

Account management is a mess on the Xbone.

The "best" thing is the automatic profile switching. If someone is registered on your console, if you pass them the controller it will change to their profile.

In most games this means quitting to the main menu.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Account management is a mess on the Xbone.

The "best" thing is the automatic profile switching. If someone is registered on your console, if you pass them the controller it will change to their profile.

Yeah we have great fun with this round my mates house when we play some forza and pass the pad around. I love it. "Here beat my time!" "YOU HAVE BEEN SIGNED OUT"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Aphrodite posted:

Did anyone ever think about this for a few seconds?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I just found out that there's a PS4 camera that nominally costs $60 ( http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Camera/dp/B00BGAA3S2 ) but that are selling like such hotcakes that they easily go for $100 online and at secondhand shops. Who the gently caress is buying these things? It's kind of funny since no one wanted a Kinect for a more expensive Xbone, but then appear to have spent their entire $100 savings on a lovely camera with no games and probably mediocre future support.

Not that I think the Kinect is worthwhile either. Is it used in Titanfall at all by the way? I could not find any mention of it being used. Hilarious for their flagship game to not use their flagship accessory.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Also I went to an electronics store today here [Europe], and the Titanfall bundle is $710, vs. $685 for an un-bundled Xbone (and $745 for the Fifa launch bundle, which was supposedly also a "free bonus game"). Now I don't feel so bad about buying the 'bone 3 weeks ago.

PS4 is still at $745 too, unbundled no accessories, although the price goes down a little every couple weeks. (Sold at a "Gamestop" like store, not a 'regular' electronics dealer).

E: The PS4 is "open box" too, while the bones are still sealed. I wonder if the store just sells it to themselves so they can open the box and sell it for $200 over MSRP as a 'second hand' loophole, or if retailers can just set whatever price they want as long as suckers will pay for it.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 15, 2014

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Saladman posted:

I just found out that there's a PS4 camera that nominally costs $60 ( http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Camera/dp/B00BGAA3S2 ) but that are selling like such hotcakes that they easily go for $100 online and at secondhand shops. Who the gently caress is buying these things? It's kind of funny since no one wanted a Kinect for a more expensive Xbone, but then appear to have spent their entire $100 savings on a lovely camera with no games and probably mediocre future support.

People are using them to stream themselves from the Playroom app. Live From PlayStation has more streams of random people smoking weed or getting drunk than streams of actual games.

It turns out the Kinect would have been a killer feature if only they'd included the ability to use it like a $10 webcam that inexplicably superimposes a CGI robot on everything.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

davejk posted:

People are using them to stream themselves from the Playroom app. Live From PlayStation has more streams of random people smoking weed or getting drunk than streams of actual games.

It turns out the Kinect would have been a killer feature if only they'd included the ability to use it like a $10 webcam that inexplicably superimposes a CGI robot on everything.

Me and my wife veg out sometimes and just spend hours watching what other people are doing in their living room. Welcome to the future.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

davejk posted:

That sounds familiar now that you bring it up. I'm amazed there are so many exhibitionists that the expensive accessory has literally sold out. I wonder if they're the same people complaining about the NSA invading their privacy and how Kinect is always watching you.

I stopped using Vine and Chat Roulette after the third dick I saw. Fool me twice, shame on me, fool me thrice, shame on... won't get fooled again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony also didn't make a lot of them.

I think there might actually be more Playstation camera games out right now than Kinect games though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Saladman posted:

I just found out that there's a PS4 camera that nominally costs $60 ( http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Camera/dp/B00BGAA3S2 ) but that are selling like such hotcakes that they easily go for $100 online and at secondhand shops. Who the gently caress is buying these things?

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

FuSchnick posted:

The problem actually had nothing to do with capacity, usage, or Titanfall itself. It was an unfortunate coincidence that it occurred smack in the middle of the day that TF was released.

It was fixed last night around 7:00 PM (PST). Nobody should be hitting it anymore, but if you are try a cold reboot (pull the power plug, or hold the power button long enough to shut down entirely).

What was the real problem?

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Wheany posted:

Did anyone ever think about this for a few seconds?

I believe a lot of the Bone's feature implementation meetings went like this:
Exec: "This is a future device. When you pass the controller to your friend, Kinect notices and automatically switches to their profile!"
Engineer: "But sir, most games nowadays have different save files between profiles, so when you change profiles-"
Exec: "This is a future device!"

Caparzo
Jul 28, 2011
Just dropped my titan on a cliff, god drat glitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmixS5uCx3k

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm in the UK and my Xbox Live Gold runs out next month. Cheapest I can find for 12 months is Amazon for £35. Any better deals?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I was playing with my IRL friend who "couldn't" use his mic because he didn't want to "wake" the "baby". Because kids should be trained to leap up at the slightest noise from across the house, of course. Those make the most mellow and reasonable fun-loving adults!

After a day of having a monster scream at you the last thing you want to do is wake it up for more screaming for the sake of your KDR.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So the fancy passing of the controller thing is the reason my wife and I both can't just sign in as normal through Kinect like we could pre update?

That is stupid as hell.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mattavist posted:

After a day of having a monster scream at you the last thing you want to do is wake it up for more screaming for the sake of your KDR.

Seriously. Don't wake the baby. And don't be resentful of friends who are trying to follow this advice. They're doing it for the sake of their sanity. A real friend would be able to appreciate this.

Also, if you're worried about lack of communication being a gamebreaker in Titanfall, just play Attrition. Unlike every other mode, everyone in Attrition is basically just on their own anyway. And if a couple of higher-Gen players are still wrecking you, mics aren't going to change that.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If the kinect is causing so many issues, why not just unplug it? Or better yet, is it possible to leave the microphone on but turn the camera off?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If the kinect is causing so many issues, why not just unplug it? Or better yet, is it possible to leave the microphone on but turn the camera off?

Unplugging it means you don't get auto sign in anymore and OF COURSE you need it plugged in to use the voice commands even though the PS4 has them built in just fine.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Seriously. Don't wake the baby. And don't be resentful of friends who are trying to follow this advice. They're doing it for the sake of their sanity. A real friend would be able to appreciate this.

I respectfully disagree. The child needs to learn to sleep through the noise of adults talking at a reasonable volume, and hasn't as yet at this point 4 years in. No one's screaming here. I realize parenting is hard work, especially initially getting the child into good sleep habits. No adult should have the fussy sleep of an infant.

But at this point, this is not about Xbones or Titanfall so I guess somebody else can have the last word because I'm not talking about this anymore.

EDIT: About the Kinect switching profiles when you pass the controller along, who are you people that get to have friends just come over to pass the controller around? My friends all have to stay at home because children and I feel like a bad influence when I go over and their wives/girlfriends are always trying to find something else for them to do.

The XBone's Kinect truly is the device for the future. It lets you know you're alive, and that you still have friends.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 16, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^^ 90% of the time I play games like Battlefield or whatever, it's with friends and we pass the controller after every death. That's also why I never use mics. I want to shoot the poo poo with my friends, not focus on tactics with some random 14 year olds on Xbone Live. I was also really irritated when games stopped having online 2-player simultaneous play; Halo and Left4Dead were the only 360 games I can think of that had that. I guess I'm a child of pre-Internet gaming, always and forever.

Doflamingo posted:

Unplugging it means you don't get auto sign in anymore and OF COURSE you need it plugged in to use the voice commands even though the PS4 has them built in just fine.

poo poo, I can't ever get auto-sign in to work anyway and I have my kinect plugged in still for some reason. I've re-calibrated it with myself 3 times now and every time it works the first next startup, then never again. It's not like I wear different masks or a burqa. loving just load my profile, it's the only one on the system.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 16, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I respectfully disagree. The child needs to learn to sleep through the noise of adults talking at a reasonable volume, and hasn't as yet at this point 4 years in. No one's screaming here. I realize parenting is hard work, especially initially getting the child into good sleep habits. No adult should have the fussy sleep of an infant.

You sound like a real awesome person for giving your friend poo poo on an internet forum for not wanting to engage in pro play tactics with you over concern for his kid and then questioning his parenting skills.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
So I guess he just makes a lot of noise and the kid wakes up and he goes to take care of it and no more gaming at all or he just continues to play and ignores it? So now the baby is screaming in the background? Yep sounds like the xbox ecosystem to me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Doflamingo posted:

Ps4 has voice commands without the camera?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Correct.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Yup. Not nearly as many, but you just need a mic, and the few there are a bit more adaptive, like "AC4" will get you to Assassin's Creed IV just as easily as the full title. You can't navigate sub menus or video with voice, though. The commands just aren't there.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

BonoMan posted:

The earbud with mic will work, and so will supported headsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saladman posted:

poo poo, I can't ever get auto-sign in to work anyway and I have my kinect plugged in still for some reason. I've re-calibrated it with myself 3 times now and every time it works the first next startup, then never again. It's not like I wear different masks or a burqa. loving just load my profile, it's the only one on the system.

In case it doesn't accept your face, you can also just sign in via voice "Sign in as [name associated with account]". Won't fix your problem but its a niche feature you use every once in a while.

• Locked thread