Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Does that mean that we (ze germans) should practice restraint when someone, somewhere comes up with the brilliant idea to establish a fourth reich?

Because hey, no pointing fingers, we did that a while back as well.

"Wes Brot ich ess, des Lied ich sing" should be the motto on the Schroeder family crest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hoeneß is going to prison after all. I have regained some respect for him.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

lets see what Gysi had to say about the Ukraine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezEjykTJjVk which then spawned this right wing response

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Both Russia and the US (including vassal states like Germany) are busy loving over the people of Ukraine. You have to be critical of both sides. And just saying you shouldn't criticize unless you have a solution yourself is just laughable.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ironically, Gysi emphasised the same point Gerd did: we too did this.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'm actually wondering if there is something going on. Four day trial, no revision...is he terminally ill?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

I'm actually wondering if there is something going on. Four day trial, no revision...is he terminally ill?

maybe he was scared that more would turn up if they did go into revision and the court would have to roll it all up from ground level again

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

The Real Foogla posted:

He sure as hell would be fighting the sentence tooth and nail if that were the case as I can't imagine him being vey keen on spending his last days in prison. No, more likely he and his lawyers have quite simply come to the conclusion that there was no way to get out of the whole affair with a more lenient sentence and in that case it's better PR wise to just accept the judgement.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
SZ.de spun it as his lawyer wanting to make it big and turning the case into a Grundsatzurteil and Hoeneß saying "gently caress that noise", not wanting to have his name written in the law history books forever. Among other reasons. Don't know how much of it is actually true:

quote:

Rechtsanwalt Feigen spielt juristisch gesehen in der Champions League und hätte wohl gerne ein Grundsatzurteil für Selbstanzeigen geprägt. Die Erklärung von Hoeneß deutet darauf hin (hier im Wortlaut), dass der Bayern-Präsident keine Lust hatte, in die Rechtsgeschichte einzugehen. Denn Urteil sei Urteil: "Das entspricht meinem Verständnis von Anstand, Haltung und persönlicher Verantwortung", schreibt er. "Steuerhinterziehung war der Fehler meines Lebens. Den Konsequenzen dieses Fehlers stelle ich mich." Eine Revision hätte zudem bedeutet, dass sich das Verfahren gegen Hoeneß viele Monate in die Länge zieht. Das geht in der Regel mit einer zusätzlichen psychischen Belastung für den Angeklagten einher.

This sounds a lot like interpretation.

May I ask what makes this particularily right-wing for you, except that they find positive words for Merkel maybe?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Both Russia and the US (including vassal states like Germany) are busy loving over the people of Ukraine. You have to be critical of both sides. And just saying you shouldn't criticize unless you have a solution yourself is just laughable.

The argument is stupid. Either breaking international law to make the attack on Serbia was wrong, in which case the attack on Ukraine is also wrong and should be treated accordingly. Or the attack on Ukraine is not wrong, in which case why is he criticizing the US (apart from the old SED reflex)?

And yes, I do consider it foolish to criticize without offering a solution. It's easy to be against something. Understanding the situation and trying to come up with a solution that is actually workable (as opposed to die Linke's "Let's just abolish the NATO and then the Russians will instantly stop trying to bully other countries because Reasons") is what a MdB gets loving paid for. It seems at times that Russia is the only country in the world (certainly the only country in Europe!) that is allowed to have legitimate interests. Can you imagine a Linke member saying "Well the rest of the world simply has to accept that the US are conducting drone strikes in Mexico and are planning to annex parts of the country, it is a legitimate interest to combat drug traffic and crime in the area"?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
As the Gysi speech brought up NATO expansion into Eastern Europe, I'd like to point out that the Western powers assured the Russian Federation that NATO would not expand eastwards after the collapse of the USSR. (It doesn't help that those new NATO members as well as the Ukraine have some resources in the ground that are just waiting to be exploited.) Also, the Left and Gisy were critical of the Kosovo war from the beginning and were the only faction in the Bundestag to vote against the German participation spearheaded by SPD and Greens.

As far as the Kosovo war is concerned - which was justified by a flimsy as gently caress argument for preemptive self-defense - the more interesting point is not the war against the Serbia but whether or not the Kosovo's secession from Serbia was legal and legitimate, because of the ongoing Crimea debacle.

I fear at the end of this Ukraine shitstorm both the US and Russia will have secured their claims on whatever comes out politically and economically while the EU - and more important Germany - will once again only get a badge for "cheerleading one side in an international crisis" without any tangible benefit but possibly bearing a bunch of bad consequences from said shitstorm. (Another similarity to the Kosovo war.)

(And to close this off with one of my trademark horrible views: As long as the Ukrainian government keeps consisting out of people who refuse to acknowledge the theft of gas shipments intended for Germany that has been ongoing since years, they can go gently caress themselves for all I care. Germany's national interest lies in finally having a trustworthy government in the transit countries.)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The funny thing is that US interests ALWAYS override German interests as far as the German government is concerned. Remember the NSA scandal and Friedrich's visit to Washington?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArchangeI posted:

The argument is stupid. Either breaking international law to make the attack on Serbia was wrong, in which case the attack on Ukraine is also wrong and should be treated accordingly. Or the attack on Ukraine is not wrong, in which case why is he criticizing the US (apart from the old SED reflex)?
I understood him as primarily pointing out hypocrisy.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The funny thing is that US interests ALWAYS override German interests as far as the German government is concerned. Remember the NSA scandal and Friedrich's visit to Washington?

Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to post this cartoon from today's tageszeitung.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Read Europas Strippenzieher (Gammelin, Löw).

They were able to evaluate confidential transcripts of EU crisis meetings from 2009 on. Additionally they interviewed members of the political apparatus(es) in Brüssels.

That book is a rare chance to find out more about how europe really works.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 16, 2014

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Good job being a criminal and going to prison I guess? How is all the gained respect bullshit justified?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

niethan posted:

Good job being a criminal and going to prison I guess? How is all the gained respect bullshit justified?

Admitting that you have done wrong and then accepting the punishment is commendable. Doesn't mean I think he is a saint. I'm just less disgusted by him than before.

Edit: And by the way, gently caress FC Bayern fans.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 16, 2014

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Admitting that you have done wrong and then accepting the punishment is commendable. Doesn't mean I think he is a saint. I'm just less disgusted by him than before.

Edit: And by the way, gently caress FC Bayern fans.

I guess it's better than being all "No I'm innocent" even though you're not but it feels like the bare minimum to accept a rightful sentencing and shouldn't earn brownie points.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

niethan posted:

I guess it's better than being all "No I'm innocent" even though you're not but it feels like the bare minimum to accept a rightful sentencing and shouldn't earn brownie points.

Yeah, accepting a judgement without incident is probably something that's done all over the country on a daily basis. Smaller-time criminals generally don't get recognition for that, so I don't see why Hoeneß should. It's really just the most basic bar to clear.

It also carries the implication that pursuing all the legal options that are available to you is somehow "dishonorable", even though often times it's just the sensible thing to do.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, accepting a judgement without incident is probably something that's done all over the country on a daily basis. Smaller-time criminals generally don't get recognition for that, so I don't see why Hoeneß should. It's really just the most basic bar to clear.

It also carries the implication that pursuing all the legal options that are available to you is somehow "dishonorable", even though often times it's just the sensible thing to do.

On the other hand, he confessed to the crimes, so it would in effect be haggling about the exact punishment, not an attempt to prove his innocence. It may have been smart for him to appeal (or not, he could have gotten 10 years, or even the higher punishment demanded by the Staatsanwalt), but it would not have won him any friends.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

mcbexx posted:

Does that mean that we (ze germans) should practice restraint when someone, somewhere comes up with the brilliant idea to establish a fourth reich?
Thats not the whole of the story. Russia has its black sea fleet based in the Krim. Do you think they would/should simply accept that EU/US are trying to restrict their powerbase in their own backyard?

That whole thing feels like something straight out of the cold war: support a revolution to extend your powerbase into the other side's sphere of influence. Get flustered and holier-than-though when they start mobilizing troops.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 18, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Nektu posted:

That whole thing feels like something straight out of the cold war: support a revolution to extend your powerbase into the other side's sphere of influence. Get flustered and holier-than-though when they start mobilizing troops.

That's absurd. The West's intervention in the Ukraine is clearly about democracy.

It just happens that Ukraine's democracy depots are mainly in the eastern parts which are culturally closer to Russia.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Randler posted:

That's absurd. The West's intervention in the Ukraine is clearly about democracy.

It just happens that Ukraine's democracy depots are mainly in the eastern parts which are culturally closer to Russia.

If Ukraine has so much Democracy already, why does the west have to bring it to them? More to the point, why did they have to bring it to Iraq, which also has large amounts of Democracy?

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Randler posted:

That made me laugh harder than it should have

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Vorratsdatenspeicherung

The European Court of Justice just killed directive 2006/24/EC, thereby removing the need for Germany to implement data retention instruments into national law. From the ECJ press release (German .PDF) it appears the ECJ disagreed with the matter of implementation and not with the concept of data rentention in itself. So the commission might try for a new directive after licking its wounds.

As for the more important impact on German politics: The coalition agreement between CDU/CSU and SPD included another attempt at integrating data retention into national law. (The last attempt got shotdown by the Federal Constitutional Court.) Minister of Justice Maas (SPD) has already announced that the considers the coalition agreement regarding that non-binding due to the ECJ killing the directive which would have forced Germany to implement data rentention, while Minister of the Interior de Maiziere (CDU) wants to see a new attempt regardless.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Randler posted:

Minister of Justice Maas (SPD) has already announced that the considers the coalition agreement regarding that non-binding [...] Minister of the Interior de Maiziere (CDU) wants to see a new attempt regardless.

The best coalition. :allears:

I can already see the argument unfold, with the CDU insisting on the letter and the SPD on the spirit of the coalition agreement. This is going to be great. Or at least as great as German politics get.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Another example how the evil European Union is loving over the common people.

Oh wait, I'm not in the EU thread, so no paranoid people here.

Good news, I hope Mass can keep de Maiziere from loving this up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

e X posted:

I can already see the argument unfold, with the CDU insisting on the letter and the SPD on the spirit of the coalition agreement.
The way I understand it the letter of the agreement actually is "we will implement the directive", notably not "we will implement data retention". Other way around, if anything.

Not that it matters much because the CDU will just go ahead with a new initiative and the SPD will keep insisting they really don't want to do it, no seriously, right until the second they unanimously vote in favour of it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

My Lovely Horse posted:

The way I understand it the letter of the agreement actually is "we will implement the directive", notably not "we will implement data retention". Other way around, if anything.

It is. That might be why de Maiziere already said that the ECJ could just as well have left the directive intact and could have required the EU to make adjustments to it up until a certain date. (Similarily to how the BVerfG operates sometimes.) So then he can make an argument that it's functionally the same to make a new directive or preemptively do a national law on its own.

Koalitionsvertrag posted:

Wir werden die EU-Richtlinie über den Abruf und die Nutzung von Telekommunikationsverbindungsdaten umsetzen. Dadurch vermeiden wir die Verhängung von Zwangsgeldern durch den EuGH. Dabei soll ein Zugriff auf die gespeicherten Daten nur bei schweren Straftaten und nach Genehmigung durch einen Richter sowie zur Abwehr akuter Gefahren für Leib und Leben erfolgen. Die Speicherung der deutschen Telekommunikationsverbindungsdaten, die abgerufen und genutzt werden sollen, haben die Telekommunikationsunternehmen auf Servern in Deutschland vorzunehmen. Auf EU-Ebene werden wir auf eine Verkürzung der Speicherfrist auf drei Monate hinwirken.

Torrannor posted:

Another example how the evil European Union is loving over the common people.

The evil European Union is loving me over. I still haven't received my annual serfs and offerings from all those lesser nations we Germans control through a vast conspiracy of austerity augurs and EU institutions. :(

Also, the Charter of Fundamental Rights which was essential for the ECJ judgement is very heavily inspired by the German conception of civil rights. Germany controlling the EU again, sheeple! :tinfoil:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not that it matters much because the CDU will just go ahead with a new initiative and the SPD will keep insisting they really don't want to do it, no seriously, right until the second they unanimously vote in favour of it.

EU guidelines generally are not that specific, they only require the national legislators to implant a law about date retention, but don't give a concrete blueprint for it. Anything else would be screamed down as the end of democracy and sovereignty in Europe. Hence I believe the coalition agreement probably says something like "We will develop a low for date retention, as required by the EU guidelines" and the argument will about whether or not this is still binding without the EU guidline requirement. But I am honestly to lazy to look it up.

Anyway, you are probably right, this wont be the moment the SPD rediscovers their balls. They probably stay firmly in Schröder's trophy case.

edit: Oh hey, Randler looked it up. So yeah, I guess the roles might be reversed in this case, with the SPD arguing that without the guidline, there is to need for the law, while the CDU comes with national security.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 8, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

e X posted:

EU guidelines generally are not that specific, they only require the national legislators to implant a law about date retention, but don't give a concrete blueprint for it. Anything else would be screamed down as the end of democracy and sovereignty in Europe. Hence I believe the coalition agreement probably says something like "We will develop a low for date retention, as required by the EU guidelines" and the argument will about whether or not this is still binding without the EU guidline requirement. But I am honestly to lazy to look it up.

Anyway, you are probably right, this wont be the moment the SPD rediscovers their balls. They probably stay firmly in Schröder's trophy case.

EU directives can be as specific and concrete as they want. And while there might be more concrete ons than2006/24/EC it is pretty strict in what it requires the member states to put into law. Also, coalition agreements are in no way binding. It's soley a political question whether to follow them or not.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Randler posted:

EU directives can be as specific and concrete as they want. And while there might be more concrete ons than2006/24/EC it is pretty strict in what it requires the member states to put into law. Also, coalition agreements are in no way binding. It's soley a political question whether to follow them or not.

What I mean is that they don't give the member states a finished piece of legislation that the parliament could just vote on. How they actually translate the guidelines into national law is still in the hands of the states. And it's not like the punishment for not doing so is all that strict.

And I am not quite sure what you mean with the last part. We are talking about politics and I don't think that either party could sue for breach of contract over this, if that's what you are implying.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 8, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If anybody is still interested in TTIP, there is a great written interview at the ARD Tagesschau.

quote:

ARD: Argumente für TTIP gibt es viele - aber es ist nicht leicht, dieses Freihandelsabkommen zu verkaufen. Die Öffentlichkeit ist sehr zurückhaltend. Warum ist es so schwer, TTIP schmackhaft zu machen?

Froman: Handelsthemen sind in den USA immer eine Herausforderung. Darüber gibt es immer eine starke öffentliche Debatte. Und das ist gut so, weil solche Abkommen die Gesellschaft als Ganzes beeinflussen. Da muss die Öffentlichkeit mit einbezogen werden, um zu verstehen, worüber verhandelt wird, um Einfluss zu nehmen auf den Prozess.

Unterm Strich haben Sie Recht: Die Argumente für TTIP sind überwältigend. Wir haben eine Handelsbilanz von einer Billion Dollar, eine Investitionsbilanz von vier Billionen Dollar. Zwölf Millionen Menschen auf beiden Seiten des Atlantiks verdanken ihre Arbeit unseren Wirtschaftsbeziehung. Und wir könnten das noch viel mehr vertiefen.

Oh, public broadcasting. You're so independant and professional. :allears:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Public broadcasting is a mixed bag in my opinion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't see the problem. There are many arguments for a TTIP, but there are also many against it. And they do ask about some of the arguments against it, but this IS an interview with the US trade representative. Do you expect him to be unbiased or objective? It's his job is to sell the TTIP. I don't see where the ARD is not independent or not professional?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Giving one side ample room to just present their position without critical inquiry or giving the other side room for a similiar presentation isn't journalism, it's promotion.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Randler posted:

Giving one side ample room to just present their position without critical inquiry or giving the other side room for a similiar presentation isn't journalism, it's promotion.
Well, the european commission wants that poo poo. That means that merkel knows about it, and that she supports it. That means that the ARD will send....

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
It's close to the European elections and I just caught a wonderful bit of AfD advertisement on Klassikradio.
A man who appears to have a Fischstäbchen in his mouth explains that every day, thousands of their posters are being torn down and their election helpers beat up, and none of the major german parties care. He reminds us that the AfD is the new people's movement and said something I've not been able to catch, some sort of 'never again'. I agree. Also, it's nice to see election funding being used to bring a smile to our faces.

Other fringe parties have of course engaged in the race to the bottom. Please be extremely creeped out, then laugh at the typeset that gives their party name a middle finger look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jNzblqu-Rc

And enjoy the harmless insanity of what Oliver Kalkofe called a 'geblümter Fleischberg': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOG0TDKD36A I have no idea what is going through her head.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

BüSo are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
When it comes to baffling promitions, nothing compares to this classic NPD clip.