Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

If it's true the plane dropped to 1500m to avoid radar, then that might mean it went North rather than South, since I've heard there isn't as much radar in that direction. One news source says it flew at low altitude for 1 hour, which only seems long enough to get back to Malaysia/Thailand/Burma.

There's heaps of radar up there, that area is near the border junction of China, India and some other shithole, a rather sensitive region for border disputes, if either one of those wankers saw an unknown aircraft of that size passing through they'd chuck so many Flankers and Migs up there to chase it, there would be more fighter pilots up there than passengers :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
no one other than malaysia has admitted to detecting the plane, have they? is there anything to suggest that it even left malaysian airspace? that arc from the satellite ping included malaysia too, they just didn't have that bit of it highlighted in red.

i don't think the malaysian government was in on this or anything, but they could have either just completely missed it or missed it until embarrassingly enough later that they were too afraid to admit it (as it would reveal pretty big holes in their national security). what this scenario lacks is motive (for a hijacking) or explanation (for an equipment failure), but it fits with "why the hell did no one else notice a stray 777?"

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004
1. How do they "know" the military radar correctly identified the missing plane and not something else?

2. How do these 'pings' were at a certain distance from the satellite? Do they actually show a plane moving?

3. Could part of the plane with the engine somehow floated long enough to send these pings?

I'm still betting on 'chain reaction of poo poo falling apart/burning' theory, where something like a fire took out the transponder, depressurized, the bags didn't drop, etc, and if it kept on going, it was like that golfer's plane, with everybody dead/unconscious.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Road_Warrior posted:

There's heaps of radar up there, that area is near the border junction of China, India and some other shithole, a rather sensitive region for border disputes, if either one of those wankers saw an unknown aircraft of that size passing through they'd chuck so many Flankers and Migs up there to chase it, there would be more fighter pilots up there than passengers :getin:

Off the top of my head near the China/Kyrgyzstan border you'd have... Kashmir, Tibet, Xinjiang and a small portion of Afghanistan. I'd be really impressed if someone got a 777 through there without getting noticed.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Here's the satellite 'ping' trail according to the WP:

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I'm beginning to think we won't find it for quite awhile, or what happened for at least a couple years.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Russell William Thorpe posted:

1. How do they "know" the military radar correctly identified the missing plane and not something else?

2. How do these 'pings' were at a certain distance from the satellite? Do they actually show a plane moving?

3. Could part of the plane with the engine somehow floated long enough to send these pings?

I'm still betting on 'chain reaction of poo poo falling apart/burning' theory, where something like a fire took out the transponder, depressurized, the bags didn't drop, etc, and if it kept on going, it was like that golfer's plane, with everybody dead/unconscious.

gently caress would u know

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Fixed it more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2K_IqlRVnE

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
When the first reports went up, when all that anyone had to talk about was not crying relatives or worried beauracrats or bumbling governments or even the beginnings of a search but just a weird red "delayed" message on an arrivals board in Beijing and a few deep creases on a the brow of Malaysian Airlines and some guy who was like "uh, I'm here for my boss? He's French.", I thought "they will never find this plane".

And I haven't changed my mind ever since. I've no insight. But Oh Me Oh My, it's a beautiful ride; a real worthy loss. I feel like I've just parked the gently caress up and sat myself on the warm bonnet of my car with the juice and chips I purchased with the rest of my groceries for some future unplanned movie night but am appropriating for the spectacle and the red and blue lights are flashing on my face, glinting off glass shards as the fire and ambo crews hunt the scene for a missing motorcyclist. So late in the game the torch lights are now flickering up in the overhung branches, and there's a fella who's stripped off his jacket, down on his knees, reflective stripes glowing on his high vis long sleeve button up shirt peeking into a drain pipe and there's a queero silence at the scene 'cept CB's sparking and gag sobs from the silver blanket shrouded female driver of the hatchback sitting on the rear stoop of a services truck.

And I'm just like, looky looing and I want and wish for nothing but surprises.

Yah, they will never find this plane.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
TLDR: where's the plane?

You know it probably just loving sunk and will never find it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, Israel is readying themselves for a 9/11.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/03/16/Israel-Prepares-for-Attack-by-Hijacked-Malaysian-Plane

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Russell William Thorpe posted:

That is without a doubt, absolutely NOT what happened.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I'd be curious as to how they would know that it dropped to 5000 feet. That would be pretty hard to figure out from radar unless they're coming to that conclusion just from not being able to account for the aircraft and assuming it was still flying. Without the transponder giving back altitude to a ground station from a mode c interrogation I'd like to know how they figured that out.

Fenderbender
Oct 10, 2003

You have the right to remain silent.

I am Toni Lippi posted:

I'd be curious as to how they would know that it dropped to 5000 feet. That would be pretty hard to figure out from radar unless they're coming to that conclusion just from not being able to account for the aircraft and assuming it was still flying. Without the transponder giving back altitude to a ground station from a mode c interrogation I'd like to know how they figured that out.

Relative velocities, geometry, etc. from satellite pings. That picture up above isn't a ping trail, it's an estimation based on the angle from the satellite (thus the arc).

At least that's how I understand it...

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
Going with the loopy "terrists stole it" theory for a moment, if you just want a plane why would you put yourself in charge of 200-odd passengers who might try to fight back if you're not going to quickly use them as a bargaining chip? Why not go for a cargo flight with only three or four crew to subdue?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
The Australian BJ girls thought Jack Bauer was real and really really wanted him to join the party in the cockpit so they convinced the pilots to stage a hijacking/hostage situation.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Warrahooyaargh posted:

Going with the loopy "terrists stole it" theory for a moment, if you just want a plane why would you put yourself in charge of 200-odd passengers who might try to fight back if you're not going to quickly use them as a bargaining chip? Why not go for a cargo flight with only three or four crew to subdue?

They needed this particular plane in particular. There was something or someone on it that they needed.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Road_Warrior posted:

What?

The area you're talking about is almost completely covered by the Himalayas and radar is completely ineffective. Both sides maintain a ground presence and the Chinese did set up a "weather station" last year ( :tinfoil: ) but if it's a secret radar station the Indians have been observing it and noted that it has never actually been turned on.

There is virtually no radar coverage in that area as well as in massive, massive swathes of the world.

edit:

Warrahooyaargh posted:

Exactly how do you buy a ticket to get onto a cargo flight?

aeternum
Sep 3, 2003

New theory - the plane is still on the treadmill.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Has anyone suggested 2Pac yet?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Well we found our french pilots.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Apparently there was another 777 in the area at the same time, and this writer is suggesting 370 used it to mask itself. The other flight was headed for Singapore Spain.

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/post/79838944823/did-malaysian-airlines-370-disappear-using-sia68

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 17, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

PleasureKevin posted:

Apparently there was another 777 in the area at the same time, and this writer is suggesting 370 used it to mask itself. The other flight was headed for Singapore Spain.

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/post/79838944823/did-malaysian-airlines-370-disappear-using-sia68

what kind of loving wizard ace pilot are we dealing with here?! did Malaysia secretly train elite pilots or something?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are we seriously using Tumblrs of self proclaimed hobby pilots as sources now?

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

That looks possible. But still loving insane.

ok, another thing I wanna know. I've looked up the pings
http://theaviationist.com/2014/03/16/satcom-acars-explained/

We see the 'ring' for the last ping. What was the ping for the second to last ping, and all the others? Shouldn't that tell us more about the path and confirm it was coming from a moving plane?

Russell William Thorpe fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 17, 2014

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

what kind of loving wizard ace pilot are we dealing with here?! did Malaysia secretly train elite pilots or something?

Obviously just elite flight simulator skills

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

i told u guys

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

PleasureKevin posted:

Uyghurs did MH370

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

samizdat posted:

Obviously just elite flight simulator skills

What's the name of the mod for hyper-realistic radar physics?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

i theorized this out yesterday without even reading any news stories or weird radar charts. conspiracy scooped by tumblr

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

maybe they flew right next to another plane so it looked like a single, twice as big plane to the radar. as long as they picked a really noisy plane the pilots would never notice at night

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This thread has become the next Dirk Pitt adventure novel. All we need is an ancient secret that was on board that someone was determined that the world must never know. NUMA needs to send a ship. Was Clive Cussler on board?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

A shadowy organization asked the pilot to fly the plane into the twin Petronas Towers. He agreed, but planned instead to expose their plot.

In the days before the plan, he was followed everywhere, so he could not approach the authorities. He was also warned that if he deviated from the plan, his plane flight would be destroyed. In the days before the flight, he trained methodically. Once airborne, he followed the plan. He shut off the transponder and turned back towards Malaysia. He was seen, and intentionally ignored, my the Malaysian military. But instead of carrying out the plot, he deviously hid in the shadow of another 777 bound for Spain. His minders were fooled by the diversion, and saw from his early flight data that he took a steep dive, and believed he crashed. Seven hours later, he put the plane down in a remote area, and addressed the passengers of the plane. He warned that they were all great danger, because powerful forces would soon be coming to cover up the truth. They did not believe him, and began to organize toward finding civilization and making contact with their families. During the first night there is a large commotion that draws everyone to the captain's sleeping area. Someone has attempted to kill him. Suspicion arises about the assailant, and the cargo is search for his luggage to determine his identity. Inside his bag is a bomb, which was intended to detonate if the pilot became uncooperative. Thanks to some well placed cell-phone jammers installed by the captain, it never went off. With the captain's story validated, the passengers and crew now know they're being hunted.

They have to get the word out to the world about the plot, but they don't know who they can trust. They form a camp and create a system to retrieve food and water from a nearby town. But soon strangers arrive in the town, hiding behind dark glasses. Someone must have tipped them off about their landing site. There is still a spy remaining among them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I can't think of anything that would likely have been on a flight like this worth stealing. Maybe this is some Tom Clancy poo poo and it's not about what but who.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Obviously Mugatu brainwashed the pilots into hijacking their own flight to fly all this slave labor to keep the fashion industry afloat. After hearing the song "Relax" they went off course to a private island where the passengers are making Michael Kors fashion accessories. The prime minister of Malaysia has pulled Derrick Zoolander out of retirement to get the plane and all the souls on board back.

Frisky
Apr 2, 2012

What turtle?

PleasureKevin posted:

A shadowy organization asked the pilot to fly the plane into the twin Petronas Towers. He agreed, but planned instead to expose their plot.

In the days before the plan, he was followed everywhere, so he could not approach the authorities. He was also warned that if he deviated from the plan, his plane flight would be destroyed. In the days before the flight, he trained methodically. Once airborne, he followed the plan. He shut off the transponder and turned back towards Malaysia. He was seen, and intentionally ignored, my the Malaysian military. But instead of carrying out the plot, he deviously hid in the shadow of another 777 bound for Spain. His minders were fooled by the diversion, and saw from his early flight data that he took a steep dive, and believed he crashed. Seven hours later, he put the plane down in a remote area, and addressed the passengers of the plane. He warned that they were all great danger, because powerful forces would soon be coming to cover up the truth. They did not believe him, and began to organize toward finding civilization and making contact with their families. During the first night there is a large commotion that draws everyone to the captain's sleeping area. Someone has attempted to kill him. Suspicion arises about the assailant, and the cargo is search for his luggage to determine his identity. Inside his bag is a bomb, which was intended to detonate if the pilot became uncooperative. Thanks to some well placed cell-phone jammers installed by the captain, it never went off. With the captain's story validated, the passengers and crew now know they're being hunted.

They have to get the word out to the world about the plot, but they don't know who they can trust. They form a camp and create a system to retrieve food and water from a nearby town. But soon strangers arrive in the town, hiding behind dark glasses. Someone must have tipped them off about their landing site. There is still a spy remaining among them.

is this the plot of the next film starring nicolas cage?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I am Toni Lippi posted:

Obviously Mugatu brainwashed the pilots into hijacking their own flight to fly all this slave labor to keep the fashion industry afloat. After hearing the song "Relax" they went off course to a private island where the passengers are making Michael Kors fashion accessories. The prime minister of Malaysia has pulled Derrick Zoolander out of retirement to get the plane and all the souls on board back.

but why male models?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

BBC will be streaming a press conference in a bit.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26543755?ocid=socialflow_twitter

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
It probably crashed in to the ocean and everyone is going art bell on it.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014
What if he said good night to the other pilot because that other pilot was going to take a nap?
What if he waited this moment to do whatever he wanted?
But then, what are the odds? Maybe the other pilot doesn't want to take a nap at that exact time.

And then I don't even think it's a state order or something. Nobody wants to screw up its diplomatic relation with China. It's not even about military power or anything, it's just that China is more or less neutral on international matters and can be surprisingly "useful" for many countries that are not in the Western spectrum.
And yeah, economically, it can also be useful.
Even if the hijackers wanted to take advantage of Malaysia's lax security, if it's simply about stealing a plane, they could steal any other one from Malaysia Airlines, with a smaller political consequence (like the Philippines or any surrounding country that are not that powerful).

So yes, there might be something in the cargo. Or even a passenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

There has to be a flaw in this, as that seems plausible. Normally would be really unlikely but the fact MH370 did seem to follow the plane combined with everything else does make it a plausible theory, even if it seems like its straight out of a James Bond film. Also wouldn't be the difficult for the pilot to do as the other plane would be flying to known way points on autopilot.

Still its probably sitting at the bottom of the ocean, but at least we finally have a possible explanation of how the plane could have got to mainland Asia undetected, even if its really unlikely.

• Locked thread